Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,529 members, 7,854,295 topics. Date: Saturday, 08 June 2024 at 01:54 PM

Nigerian Lawyer, 33, In USA Found In His Car Trunk With Neck Broken By Car Thief - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Lawyer, 33, In USA Found In His Car Trunk With Neck Broken By Car Thief (11495 Views)

Pic:Ambode’s Convoy Apprehends Airforce Cadets For Locking Boy In Car Trunk / Emir Of Kano, Sanusi, And His Car Spotted At Hilton, Abuja (photos) / Bomb Kills Two, Injures 33 In Maiduguri (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Lawyer, 33, In USA Found In His Car Trunk With Neck Broken By Car Thief by buzugee(m): 5:05am On Jan 29, 2011
fstranger1:

The odds are not in his favor!

Never say never!
wow. didnt know it was that serious sha
Re: Nigerian Lawyer, 33, In USA Found In His Car Trunk With Neck Broken By Car Thief by buzugee(m): 5:08am On Jan 29, 2011
asha 80:

i think he would be.i mean look at the description of the body when it was found.i rather be dead that live with that.
miracles do happen. but if dead, no miracles for that.
Re: Nigerian Lawyer, 33, In USA Found In His Car Trunk With Neck Broken By Car Thief by isalegan2: 3:04pm On Jan 29, 2011
fstranger1:

The odds are not in his favor!

Never say never!

Yeah.  Poor guy.  With the broken neck, could possibly be paralyzed too, right?  Why cut off his ear though, unless the criminal was going to send it to the Naija brother's family for ransome demand or something?  Crazy stuff.
Re: Nigerian Lawyer, 33, In USA Found In His Car Trunk With Neck Broken By Car Thief by isalegan2: 3:15pm On Jan 29, 2011
Update on Akeem Ajimotokan. Excerpt below, please click link for full article.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/29/nyregion/29bmw.html?partner=rss&emc=rss

Attack on BMW Seller Shows Hazards of E-Commerce, Police Say

Mr. Ajimotokan had put his car for sale online. But he also, in a sense, was telling the world: Come and get it. Investigators say an ex-convict named Barion A. Blake did just that.

“This is expected to happen more and more, because of the anonymity of the Internet,” said Michael A. L. Balboni, who was a top public safety aide to two governors. “When you think about it, it gives the bad guys the opportunity to case the joint without having to do anything. They can sit home and basically do surveillance on who’s got what to sell. And there is no vetting that you can do, or that is done.” 

It was unclear if Mr. Ajimotokan, 33, had sold a car over the Internet before.

His sister-in-law, Alice Ajim, 40, reached by telephone at her home in Texas, said that Mr. Ajimotokan, a lawyer working in the procurement office of Columbia University, had been born in Nigeria, and that she and her husband, Ayo Ajim, were preparing for a flight to New York.

“My husband saw him 10 days ago,” Ms. Ajim said. “He is a family-loving man, very conscientious, loved everyone, happy-go-lucky, and very friendly.”

On Friday, Mr. Ajimotokan was in critical condition in the intensive care unit at Harlem Hospital, Sylvia White, a spokeswoman, said. Mr. Kelly said that he was on a ventilator and that detectives had yet to speak to him.

Investigators say they believe that Mr. Blake went to Mr. Ajimotokan’s home in New Jersey on Tuesday, after reaching him at the phone number listed with his advertisement on Cars.com, possibly posing as a buyer. “There were, at least, discussions about a sale,” Mr. Kelly said.

At some point, investigators suspect, Mr. Blake assaulted Mr. Ajimotokan and stole the car, though in what order is unclear.

Investigators say they believe that Mr. Blake then went to his apartment on Tenth Avenue in Manhattan and told his wife, “ ‘I did something that could send me back to prison,’ ” said a law enforcement official, who insisted on anonymity to discuss a continuing investigation.

At 9:10 a.m. Wednesday, the BMW crashed into a yellow cab in Inwood, in Upper Manhattan, and the driver, who the police say they believe was Mr. Blake, fled. Mr. Ajimotokan, badly wounded and with one ear nearly severed, was found in the trunk, where he is believed to have been confined through much of the frigid night.

Mr. Blake’s image was later picked out in a photo array as that of the man at the scene of the accident. His name was also on a bill of sale found in the BMW. As of Friday night, he remained at large.
Re: Nigerian Lawyer, 33, In USA Found In His Car Trunk With Neck Broken By Car Thief by isalegan2: 3:39pm On Jan 29, 2011
Update on local NY area news site.  Story includes a picture of the victim, Akeem, and one of his brother. Ahmed.:

Family of Man Found in BMW Trunk Fly to N.Y.

MANHATTAN — Family members of the man found stabbed with his ear nearly sliced off in the trunk of his BMW were flying to New York Friday night to visit the victim.

Ajimotokan was still in a coma Friday afternoon at Harlem Hospital, according to his older brother, Ahmed Ajimotokan. Harlem Hospital confirmed that he was a patient, but would not comment on his condition.

"We're all shocked, it's really horrifying," Ahmed said in an phone interview. "He's the last person this should happen to."

[b]The elder Ajimotokan, who is a minister and a physician in Houston, Texas, said his little brother was the baby of the family. He described Akeem as a "brilliant" guy, who was the "life of the party." [/b]Akeem and his alleged attacker, Blake, "came from two different worlds," Ahmed said, emphasizing Akeem's bright future as a graduate from Cardozo Law School who worked at Columbia.

He said his "mind just keeps flashing back" to memories of Akeem when he was younger. The family had moved to the U.S. from Nigeria, and for several years he and Akeem had lived together in New York.

Police called Ahmed Wednesday to tell him what had happened. He said they had identified his little brother through finger prints — all immigrants to the U.S. are required to be fingerprinted. The victim had not had any I.D. on him.

Ahmed and his wife were planning to fly to New York to be with Akeem on Friday night. He said he'd received numerous calls from family and friends from all over the world offering their prayers and support for his brother.

Akeem's colleagues at Columbia also described him as exceptionally friendly.

"He's an excellent person," said his co-worker, Wilbert Torres. "Very friendly."

Another colleague, who did not want to be identified, said Akeem always had a smile on his face and said "hello" to everybody.
"The whole office is devastated. It's scary. We wish him the best of luck," the man said, adding that the office was a very close-knit group and they were praying for Akeem.

Columbia said in an e-mailed statement that they do not comment on ongoing police investigations, but said "we express our deepest concern for Mr. Ajimotokan and hope for his full recovery."

http://www.dnainfo.com/20110128/washington-heights-inwood/family-of-man-found-bmw-trunk-fly-ny
Re: Nigerian Lawyer, 33, In USA Found In His Car Trunk With Neck Broken By Car Thief by tpia6: 3:54pm On Jan 29, 2011
Re: Nigerian Lawyer, 33, In USA Found In His Car Trunk With Neck Broken By Car Thief by Sagamite(m): 4:01pm On Jan 29, 2011
tpia*:

Like i asked on the gifford thread what are people who have pulled themselves up through hard work and dedication, to do for others who for one reason or another, have a grudge against them because their own lives turned out differently?

Line them up, give them a paper with options of style they prefer to tick off, take them to the (option A) bush and shoot them or (option B) marshes/sea and drown them or (option C) gas their arse or (option D) give them poison to swallow.

All these piece of shyt of human beings don't deserve to live.
Re: Nigerian Lawyer, 33, In USA Found In His Car Trunk With Neck Broken By Car Thief by buzugee(m): 4:02pm On Jan 29, 2011
tpia*:

Like i asked on the gifford thread what are people who have pulled themselves up through hard work and dedication, to do for others who for one reason or another, have a grudge against them because their own lives turned out differently?
Sagamite:

Line them up, give them a paper with options of style they prefer to tick off, take them to the (option A) bush and shoot them or (option B) marshes/sea and drown them or (option C) gas their arse or (option D) give them poison to swallow.

All these piece of shyt of human beings don't deserve to live.
top of the morning to you both wink
Re: Nigerian Lawyer, 33, In USA Found In His Car Trunk With Neck Broken By Car Thief by tpia6: 4:21pm On Jan 29, 2011
Re: Nigerian Lawyer, 33, In USA Found In His Car Trunk With Neck Broken By Car Thief by buzugee(m): 4:24pm On Jan 29, 2011
tpia*:

^Hello. Did you read my comment about you on the other thread.
dont believe i did. care to supply a link ? preciated
Re: Nigerian Lawyer, 33, In USA Found In His Car Trunk With Neck Broken By Car Thief by Nobody: 4:36pm On Jan 29, 2011
The land of the free, free to waste your own life and prey on those who did something with theirs!
I'm totally with EzeUche on this. If you live in a project, why the hell do you need a $46,000 car.
This will be like puting a $4000 T.V in a tin shack.
Re: Nigerian Lawyer, 33, In USA Found In His Car Trunk With Neck Broken By Car Thief by buzugee(m): 4:44pm On Jan 29, 2011
tpia*:

^Hello. Did you read my comment about you on the other thread.
  shocked shocked shocked shocked i just now saw that thread. that thread got to 10 pages ? i have only just seen it right now apart from when i dropped my first comment. i just thought it was a jest thread that will die out into the abyss so i didnt look at it after that day. will read all 10 pages today and add my input
Re: Nigerian Lawyer, 33, In USA Found In His Car Trunk With Neck Broken By Car Thief by tpia6: 5:14pm On Jan 29, 2011
Re: Nigerian Lawyer, 33, In USA Found In His Car Trunk With Neck Broken By Car Thief by isalegan2: 5:18pm On Jan 29, 2011
buzugee:

shocked shocked shocked shocked i just now saw that thread. that thread got to 10 pages ? i have only just seen it right now apart from when i dropped my first comment. i just thought it was a jest thread that will die out into the abyss so i didnt look at it after that day. will read all 10 pages today and add my input

Youuuuuuuuuu SUCK!!!!!

I want the thread dead.  I already decided.

P.S.: Badagry, Saw your message below.  Will think about it, and pickup this convo someplace else. 
We shant derail this thread - serious subject matter.  sad
Re: Nigerian Lawyer, 33, In USA Found In His Car Trunk With Neck Broken By Car Thief by buzugee(m): 5:29pm On Jan 29, 2011
isale_gan2:

Youuuuuuuuuu SUCK!!!!!

I want the thread dead. I already decided.
i sowwy luv. but you know what ? i love the premise of the thread so we can start a new one so we can all share resources and lifestyles and help topics and whatnot. we can definitely do this. YES WE CAN cheesy
Re: Nigerian Lawyer, 33, In USA Found In His Car Trunk With Neck Broken By Car Thief by isalegan2: 5:05pm On Jan 30, 2011
Update:

Further details have emerged of what officers found inside the car, with some reports saying that they noticed blood and several .38 calibre bullets in 'plain view' on the seats.[/b]Mr Ajimotokan's hands were bound with 'zip ties' and he appeared to have several wounds to his head and body - including a punctured left lung - which were consistent with a stabbing.
[b]'He looked unconscious. He was lying there and he looked half dead ,  He wasn’t wearing shoes or socks'

Linda M. Foglia, a spokeswoman for the New York State Department of Correctional Services, told the New York Times that Blake had also used the alias Adrian Burnett, and had been convicted under both names.
She also revealed he had a penchant for BMWs, adding: 'At one point, he stole a 2000 BMW car, valued at $80,000. Then, he possessed a stolen 2001 BMW.'
Another time, she said, he stole 'another BMW worth $79,000'.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1351876/BMW-thief-caught-driving-owner-trunk--squad-car-flipped-snowy-road.html#ixzz1CXCu4LZT
Re: Nigerian Lawyer, 33, In USA Found In His Car Trunk With Neck Broken By Car Thief by Sagamite(m): 5:58pm On Jan 30, 2011
^^^^ Fcking baastards!
Re: Nigerian Lawyer, 33, In USA Found In His Car Trunk With Neck Broken By Car Thief by omanzo02: 6:34pm On Jan 30, 2011
America is always about crime, all u see and hear on the news is about crime and guns, The place is good tho for holidaying especially places like Florida, Texas and Los Angeles I frequent, but living there would be a nightmare, I prefer my Europe base, America is just about mere yo! yo! yo!.
Re: Nigerian Lawyer, 33, In USA Found In His Car Trunk With Neck Broken By Car Thief by tpiah2: 6:43pm On Jan 30, 2011
if the attacker had a history of car theft, and not attempted murder, then what was his reason for attacking the victim so viciously?

why didnt he just steal the car and drive away?

what happened to the owners of the other cars he stole- i assume they werent hurt or he'd have been booked for that in addition to stealing.
Re: Nigerian Lawyer, 33, In USA Found In His Car Trunk With Neck Broken By Car Thief by Gbawe: 6:49pm On Jan 30, 2011
Sagamite:

^^^^ Fcking baastards!

"Animal in human skin" like Fela sang . Just hope Akeem makes a full recovery .
Re: Nigerian Lawyer, 33, In USA Found In His Car Trunk With Neck Broken By Car Thief by fstranger1: 6:50pm On Jan 30, 2011
tpiah*:

if the attacker had a history of car theft, and not attempted murder, then what was his reason for attacking the victim so viciously?

what happened to the owners of the other cars he stole- i assume they werent hurt or he'd have been booked for that in addition to stealing.

Would you allow someone to steal your property without a fight?
Re: Nigerian Lawyer, 33, In USA Found In His Car Trunk With Neck Broken By Car Thief by tpiah2: 6:53pm On Jan 30, 2011
^^what about the owners of the other two bmws he stole.

there's no evidence he harmed them.

and those cars were more expensive than this one.

and no, akeem doesnt seem to have fought at all, come to think of it. They'd already drawn up a bill of sale with the attacker's name on it.

the viciousness of the attack warrants investigation.
Re: Nigerian Lawyer, 33, In USA Found In His Car Trunk With Neck Broken By Car Thief by tpiah2: 6:55pm On Jan 30, 2011
Gbawe:

with prayer i hope, but the odds dont look good.

it's a wonder he survived at all.

stabbed, shot, neck broken?
Re: Nigerian Lawyer, 33, In USA Found In His Car Trunk With Neck Broken By Car Thief by jaygetta1: 7:09pm On Jan 30, 2011
Ahhhh, New York! Imagine me selling a car to such a hulking brute without a Desert Eagle, Safety-off, at the ready; impossible! Why take him to your house? Why didn't Akeem have witnesses to the sale? Gawd, this is NY we're talking about! Well, I hope he recovers.
Re: Nigerian Lawyer, 33, In USA Found In His Car Trunk With Neck Broken By Car Thief by fstranger1: 7:25pm On Jan 30, 2011
tpiah*:

^^what about the owners of the other two bmws he stole.

there's no evidence he harmed them.

and those cars were more expensive than this one.

You really do not know the circumstance surrounding those events

We do not have the details

He might have stolen those at night, broke into them, proly rob the owners at gun point.

And, if the owners were white, they wouldnt fight back, especially if they were seniors.

and no, akeem doesnt seem to have fought at all, come to think of it. They'd already drawn up a bill of sale with the attacker's name on it.

No, fighting back is the right thing to do

he worked hard for his machine and no one, no matter how big, should be able to steal it from him easily.

the viciousness of the attack warrants investigation.

What do you mean?

People kill each other for 5 dollar crack, whatz the big deal about the viciousness of the attack?

He broke his neck so as to subdue him

He wanted to kill him so he wont report him to the cops.
Re: Nigerian Lawyer, 33, In USA Found In His Car Trunk With Neck Broken By Car Thief by Gbawe: 7:36pm On Jan 30, 2011
fstranger1:

No, fighting back is the right thing to do

he worked hard for his machine and no one, no matter how big, should be able to steal it from him easily.

It is not always compulsory to argue you know . What is car insurance for ? Ever heard of fully comprehensive cover ? Third Party , fire and theft ? No law enforcement officer , not even the most insane, will advise the victim of a carjacking to fight back thus endangering their life . Insurance can provide the victim of a carjacking with a new car. If a man is killed resisting a carjacking who will give him his life back?
Re: Nigerian Lawyer, 33, In USA Found In His Car Trunk With Neck Broken By Car Thief by buzugee(m): 7:49pm On Jan 30, 2011
tpiah*:

i am going on what i have read from different sources. ok here i go

this dude is a car thief who steals high end bmws for those garages that chop it up and wipe out the VIN and then make it appear like another car. hence he does not have to be confrontational to steal those cars. all he has to do is, under the cover of darkness, break into a high end bmw and then drive it to the 'chop shop'. maybe for a 70 grand bmw he gets like 3 grand cash for his efforts.

then dude decides he wants a bmw for himself. not for the chop shop. this will be his own personal ride. so he goes on craigslist. sees someone tryna sell a high end bmw. meets up with the person. kills the person (or so he thought) after coercing him to sign the car over to him (hence the cut ear. this was part of the torture to get akeem to sign the car over). well after the car has been signed over to the bmw thief. all he has to do is to kill akeem and dispose of his body and he is home free. akeem is nowhere to be found and this thief has a brand new bmw in his own name. i guess thangs didnt work out how he planned it huh ? he thought he had killed akeem, was on his way to dump the body when he got into a fender bender ( i believe this fender bender was initiated by God. HE STILL HAS A PURPOSE FOR AKEEM) the police spot him and give chase. he escapes. they see akeem in the boot. et c etc etc
Re: Nigerian Lawyer, 33, In USA Found In His Car Trunk With Neck Broken By Car Thief by Sagamite(m): 8:00pm On Jan 30, 2011
jay_getta:

Ahhhh, New York! Imagine me selling a car to such a hulking brute without a Desert Eagle, Safety-off, at the ready; impossible! Why take him to your house? Why didn't Akeem have witnesses to the sale? Gawd, this is NY we're talking about! Well, I hope he recovers.

Hahaha at Desert Eagle. grin

It is not normal someone expects the person coming to buy their car is 6ft 8 in the first place and brooding to kill in the second place.

Gbawe:

The poor guy had no chance, men.

6ft 8, 230 pounds and gymed up, crazed jailbird.

buzugee:

this dude is a car thief who steals high end bmws for those garages that chop it up and wipe out the VIN and then make it appear like another car. hence he does not have to be confrontational to steal those cars. all he has to do is, under the cover of darkness, break into a high end bmw and then drive it to the 'chop shop'. maybe for a 70 grand bmw he gets like 3 grand cash for his efforts.

then dude decides he wants a bmw for himself. not for the chop shop. this will be his own personal ride. so he goes on craigslist. sees someone tryna sell a high end bmw. meets up with the person. kills the person (or so he thought) after coercing him to sign the car over to him (hence the cut ear. this was part of the torture to get akeem to sign the car over). well after the car has been signed over to the bmw thief. all he has to do is to kill akeem and dispose of his body and he is home free. akeem is nowhere to be found and this thief has a brand new bmw in his own name. i guess thangs didnt work out how he planned it huh ? he thought he had killed akeem, was on his way to dump the body when he got into a fender bender ( i believe this fender bender was initiated by God. HE STILL HAS A PURPOSE FOR AKEEM) the police spot him and give chase. he escapes. they see akeem in the boot. et c etc etc

This is what I thought happened.
Re: Nigerian Lawyer, 33, In USA Found In His Car Trunk With Neck Broken By Car Thief by tpiah2: 8:08pm On Jan 30, 2011
buzugee:

very likely, i guess.
Re: Nigerian Lawyer, 33, In USA Found In His Car Trunk With Neck Broken By Car Thief by tpiah2: 8:09pm On Jan 30, 2011

true talk.
Re: Nigerian Lawyer, 33, In USA Found In His Car Trunk With Neck Broken By Car Thief by EzeUche2(m): 8:11pm On Jan 30, 2011
The poor man had no chance. 6'8! What a hulking brute! I would have brought a friend though. To make sure the business transaction goes well. I don't trust anyone.
Re: Nigerian Lawyer, 33, In USA Found In His Car Trunk With Neck Broken By Car Thief by buzugee(m): 8:13pm On Jan 30, 2011
jay_getta:

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Sagamite:

Hahaha at Desert Eagle. grin

It is not normal someone expects the person coming to buy their car is 6ft 8 in the first place and brooding to kill in the second place.

The poor guy had to chance, men.

6ft 8, 230 pounds and gymed up, crazed jailbird.

This is what I thought happened.
i am 99 percent sure that thats exactly what happened.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Who 'Won' The Lagos Governorship Debate On Channels TV? / Aftermath Of Ogboni Fraternity, Rochas Thugs Storms Nigerian Horn And Murdered O / "99% Of Smuggled Rice Not Fit For Human Consumption" - Customs Boss, Ali

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.