Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,198 members, 7,818,661 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:08 PM

Why I Abandoned My PHD Programme - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why I Abandoned My PHD Programme (4354 Views)

My Phd Program In Jeopardy. Please Help (pictures) / I Regret Finishing My Phd At 26 / I Made A Third Class Now I Have An Msc About To Apply For My Phd (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why I Abandoned My PHD Programme by edoairways: 7:12pm On Jun 24, 2020
UbongCR7:

This was like d last stage of the programme.
Didn't follow it up again
Na wa oh

2 Likes

Re: Why I Abandoned My PHD Programme by strangest(m): 7:24pm On Jun 24, 2020
never do a PhD without a scholarship.. PhD is a job position

5 Likes

Re: Why I Abandoned My PHD Programme by samtol4(m): 8:02pm On Jun 24, 2020
strangest:
never do a PhD without a scholarship.. PhD is a job position
feasible and possible outside Nigeria
Re: Why I Abandoned My PHD Programme by samtol4(m): 8:04pm On Jun 24, 2020
There are alot funding for PhD program in USA ,Canada , Australia and South Africa. Use Google and you will be amazed by opportunities available outside Nigeria for PhD applicants

1 Like

Re: Why I Abandoned My PHD Programme by strangest(m): 8:27pm On Jun 24, 2020
samtol4:
feasible and possible outside Nigeria

yep and the organization will see him as an asset and want to retain him if not he can grow from there

1 Like

Re: Why I Abandoned My PHD Programme by 0neal(m): 8:35pm On Jun 24, 2020
This is terrible

These same lecturers will abuse Mr President, and politicians in general...

Corruption from top to bottom

Damn!

Mrbigman1:

Oga give them what Dey need and get what u want and get the Bleep outta dia.

Na so my mumu do me I go get C for bachelor thesis all in the name of say I no wan give bribe, ppl wey my work better pass dia own get A for 12 credit course and left with 2:1, my score further threw me below abyss

Las las na me Bleep up
Re: Why I Abandoned My PHD Programme by Nobody: 8:39pm On Jun 24, 2020
jesmond3945:
and you think is right? Mind you they are paid to supervise you.

Are you wiser than Solomon whose wisdom was inspired by God?
Re: Why I Abandoned My PHD Programme by ArticleBeast: 8:44pm On Jun 24, 2020
ZiriMane:
Read Proverbs 18:16
Most times your generosity may endear you to them and grant you favour before them.
A little "Sir, please use this to recharge your line" or "Ma, use this one to buy bread" might have done the magic.

I don't and won't encourage corruption in form of bribery. However, good deeds like these speaks volume for us.
Then pray you don't a person like my supervisor. That man is the PA to the Devil. You give recharge cards he will refuse. You greet him properly, problem... U cannot please him. A man that has remarried up to 4 times. If the wives could not stay, is it you a bloody supervisee that want to stay
Re: Why I Abandoned My PHD Programme by Textra(m): 8:53pm On Jun 24, 2020
hrykanu231:
This almost sounds like my M.Sc story, just that in my case. I swore to my late Mum to complete it and yes I did. My supervisor kept me for 7yrs, just because his wife did M.Sc for 7yrs in another school.
I covered more than 600km each trip and in some instances, they will postpone the date for presentation without any prior notice. Sometimes I will send my work with 10k each time for data as instructed, he won't acknowledge seeing the cash nor the work sent. Then maybe after some months he will send me a text that, he just saw the alert. But I will have to send the work again...
I suffered, but now I know better.
My candid advise will be that, you shouldn't give up. If you have the funds, try a private University in Nigeria, it's faster and better.

Sir, you mean your M.Sc lasted for 7years?

Please, what's the normal or usual duration?
Re: Why I Abandoned My PHD Programme by BGSM: 9:00pm On Jun 24, 2020
Now that IPPIS has implecated them, anybody doing postgraduate programs in Nigeria should be ready to pay the remaining balance, no mercy, no in the name of God. Health imbalance by the time you finish the program due to frustration. Haaaa we are in trouble.
Re: Why I Abandoned My PHD Programme by jesmond3945: 9:09pm On Jun 24, 2020
MuhMubRaj:

Are you wiser than Solomon whose wisdom was inspired by God?
how
Re: Why I Abandoned My PHD Programme by Takara: 9:15pm On Jun 24, 2020
asunmoGGMU:

That is true. Postgraduate degrees are now cash and carry in most of our institutions.
That is scary
Re: Why I Abandoned My PHD Programme by kode12: 10:08pm On Jun 24, 2020
7yrs trying to do a PhD in Nigeria. PhD that'd be thrown in the trash after defense. I'd drop that thing ASAP like a bad habit. In any academic environment, one key component to your success is having a proper initial assessment of all your lecturers and determining how to interact with them to get what you want. Work hard for those who value good output, if they're gonna use your work for personal research well, best you can do is beg to have your name somewhere in the publication, those that need money, gather the money and do the needful. The ones that want loyalty, do boy boy for them. Understand each person's personality and adapt your approach accordingly. When you're dealing with someone who has both the yam and knife, the best you can do is play ball as much as you're willing to compromise. NEVER adopt the victim mentality, Nigeria's education system is shitty, but hundreds have passed through before you, so WHY NOT YOU?
Re: Why I Abandoned My PHD Programme by hardbody: 10:24pm On Jun 24, 2020
Takara:
I found this on Facebook page of one Ahmad AbdulQadir

After I had gained admission for a Ph.D program, I had to abandon it after seven years because of so many hurdles that arose and made it impossible for me to continue.

The first hurdle came from my employer: my Director General, DG, at the National Broadcasting Commission, NBC, at the time, who denied me and other colleagues promotion for ten years, also put across a lot of hurdles on my path to ensure that I never completed the program.

There was a committee he set up to look into applications for study leave, shortlist and forward recommendations to him for approval. My source in the committee told me, one day, that they were perplexed at how the DG kept on skipping my name whenever the list was forwarded to him: he just ticked the ones he liked and returned the list in spite of the fact that I had met all the criteria for approval.

So, I decided to take a risk and continue with the program secretly, without approval, since it was research based and course work was not required.

When I thought I had found a way around it, he transferred me to a place far away from the school. Still, I persevered and continued with my studies from my new location. Somehow, he found out again and transferred me to another place further than my new location, after about two years. When I decided to quit, he was, mercifully removed as the DG. Excitedly, I decided to continue with the program, but other unforeseen hurdles arose.

I suddenly came up against corrupt departmental staff at the university, who wanted money before they did their work. They even, at a time, hid my departmental file and said there was nobody to go and search for it. They advised that I open another one and again pay the departmental charges. And they were openly encouraged by the course coordinator who said, to my face, that they shouldn't pity me because my organization had money.

Then, the same course coordinator, who happened to be my supervisor, made me open a file where I put my proposal because he said he wouldn't accept it by email as it would require him buying fuel to start his generator to download and print it. Whenever I went to ask whether he had gone through my proposal, he would ask me to go through a stack of files to find mine - sometimes I would find it after so much effort and waste of time. At other times, he would say he might have taken it home - after which he would give me another appointment as he was unable to look at it. And I normally had to cover about 400 kilometers to reach the school. The man seldom answered my phone call nor responded to my emails.

One of our staff who just completed his masters told me they had to contribute money to pay for accommodation and feeding for the external examiner!

At this stage, I got fed up and threw in the towel after seven years of trying. I just felt I wasn't destined to complete the program.

I asked around and was told I could get frustrated in the public universities, so I had to advise myself and has since commenced the program with a private university. I am done with my M.Phil and about getting as assessment that will enable me convert to the Ph.d proper. I am hoping to not spend more than 4 years, I actually plan to spend 3.
Re: Why I Abandoned My PHD Programme by phemmyfour: 6:05am On Jun 25, 2020
Always give to Caesar what belongs to him.....the end is the focus and surely justify the means
Re: Why I Abandoned My PHD Programme by SocialJustice: 7:35am On Jun 25, 2020
Takara:
I found this on Facebook page of one Ahmad AbdulQadir

After I had gained admission for a Ph.D program, I had to abandon it after seven years because of so many hurdles that arose and made it impossible for me to continue.

The first hurdle came from my employer: my Director General, DG, at the National Broadcasting Commission, NBC, at the time, who denied me and other colleagues promotion for ten years, also put across a lot of hurdles on my path to ensure that I never completed the program.

There was a committee he set up to look into applications for study leave, shortlist and forward recommendations to him for approval. My source in the committee told me, one day, that they were perplexed at how the DG kept on skipping my name whenever the list was forwarded to him: he just ticked the ones he liked and returned the list in spite of the fact that I had met all the criteria for approval.

At this stage, I got fed up and threw in the towel after seven years of trying. I just felt I wasn't destined to complete the program.
Please which school is this?
Re: Why I Abandoned My PHD Programme by edoairways: 9:13am On Jun 25, 2020
BGSM:
Now that IPPIS has implecated them, anybody doing postgraduate programs in Nigeria should be ready to pay the remaining balance, no mercy, no in the name of God. Health imbalance by the time you finish the program due to frustration. Haaaa we are in trouble.
Public universities

2 Likes

Re: Why I Abandoned My PHD Programme by edoairways: 9:14am On Jun 25, 2020
kode12:
7yrs trying to do a PhD in Nigeria. PhD that'd be thrown in the trash after defense. I'd drop that thing ASAP like a bad habit. In any academic environment, one key component to your success is having a proper initial assessment of all your lecturers and determining how to interact with them to get what you want. Work hard for those who value good output, if they're gonna use your work for personal research well, best you can do is beg to have your name somewhere in the publication, those that need money, gather the money and do the needful. The ones that want loyalty, do boy boy for them. Understand each person's personality and adapt your approach accordingly. When you're dealing with someone who has both the yam and knife, the best you can do is play ball as much as you're willing to compromise. NEVER adopt the victim mentality, Nigeria's education system is shitty, but hundreds have passed through before you, so WHY NOT YOU?
Then it is better not to do PhD in a public university based on this comment

1 Like

Re: Why I Abandoned My PHD Programme by edoairways: 9:15am On Jun 25, 2020
Textra:

Sir, you mean your M.Sc lasted for 7years?

Please, what's the normal or usual duration?
Normal duration is 2 years

2 Likes

Re: Why I Abandoned My PHD Programme by kode12: 4:13pm On Jun 25, 2020
edoairways:

Then it is better not to do PhD in a public university based on this comment
Oh yes. That's a very valid conclusion. But also note that the private university cannot assure they'd be free of all aforementioned either, but maybe to a much lesser degree.
Re: Why I Abandoned My PHD Programme by edoairways: 4:20pm On Jun 25, 2020
kode12:

Oh yes. That's a very valid conclusion. But also note that the private university cannot assure they'd be free of all aforementioned either, but maybe to a much lesser degree.
Yeah

1 Like

Re: Why I Abandoned My PHD Programme by BruncleZuma: 9:43pm On Sep 11, 2020
sacajawea:
BruncleZuma Pls Share Some thoughts
Sorry I've been offline for a bit.

Envy, malfeasance and corruption has unfortunately permeated every facet of our psyche that most folks would think 'sorting' your supervisor is the right thing to do. Op, has gotten tired of the craziness and I understand.

He should make moves to leave the shores of this country if he's to make head way. There's China, Egypt, Germany and many other cheaper and affordable places he could have his PhD done without the extra baggages.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Cheapest Tuition Universities In Malta, Netherlands, Luxembourg / Some Likely Questions From 2019 UTME Text (SWEET SIXTEEN) / Is This A Serious Or Crazy Student? (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.