Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,847 members, 7,810,265 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:32 AM

Will Your Children Have A Traditional And English Name? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Will Your Children Have A Traditional And English Name? (3238 Views)

Children Have The Purest Hearts � / My Experience At A Traditional Marriage Ceremony Today. / Traditional And White Wedding Of Old Aunty (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Will Your Children Have A Traditional And English Name? by Ishilove: 8:05pm On Jun 24, 2020
Munzy14:
All this people above saying native names, You people don't know what is going on... The kids will grow to rename themselves especially on social media.

At the University a lot of girls drop their name.

You might be praying for your son Chisom, while he has acquired the name Kelvin in school.. cheesy

You might also be praying for you daughter chioma, while she is answering Cynthia in school.

Names u won't know when they imported them.. smh

Nigerians no deh dull at all.

Heh. It reminds me of how I came about my middle name. My parents christened all their children just one name, all native names, so when I was filling my WASSCE form in my final year in secondary school, I decided to give myself a middle name since parents had refused to give me. I chose a Hebrew name from the bible, the name of a priestess who is one of the few women named in that Holy Book.

When I took the form home for my dad to fill and sign, he took one look at my new name and exclaimed "Ishi, I did not give you this name!!" angry shocked

Alas there was nothing he could do but grudgingly accept the name like that because I couldn't go back to get another form. grin

2 Likes

Re: Will Your Children Have A Traditional And English Name? by PrimadonnaO(f): 8:06pm On Jun 24, 2020
Xavfra:

Abeg explain

Hmmm. I don't want to disgrace myself on NL! grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Will Your Children Have A Traditional And English Name? by Nobody: 8:51pm On Jun 24, 2020
PrimadonnaO:

Hmmm. I don't want to disgrace myself on NL! grin grin

Send am as pm
Re: Will Your Children Have A Traditional And English Name? by Nobody: 8:52pm On Jun 24, 2020
GboyegaD:

Because I like them and they have meanings I like for the ones I like. More so, as a Christian, my religion permits my child(ren) to have Baptismal name. Most importantly, my last name is an English name and I love it that way.

Answering your native name gives you an identity.....

It's possible that as a Christian, you answer your native name

4 Likes

Re: Will Your Children Have A Traditional And English Name? by Nobody: 8:59pm On Jun 24, 2020
English name and tribal name, I love the combo.
Re: Will Your Children Have A Traditional And English Name? by starbuck(f): 9:03pm On Jun 24, 2020
This reminds me of my cousin that bears the name Ogochukwu, only for me to call and congratulate her on her matriculation(University of Ghana), she told me that I should start referring her as Pearl

Told her if she no want gree answer the name we grew up with, make she forget

3 Likes

Re: Will Your Children Have A Traditional And English Name? by Munzy14(m): 9:39pm On Jun 24, 2020
Ishilove:

Heh. It reminds me of how I came about my middle name. My parents christened all their children just one name, all native names, so when I was filling my WASSCE form in my final year in secondary school, I decided to give myself a middle name since parents had refused to give me. I chose a Hebrew name from the bible, the name of a priestess who is one of the few women named in that Holy Book.

When I took the form home for my dad to fill and sign, he took one look at my new name and exclaimed "Ishi, I did not give you this name!!" angry shocked

Alas there was nothing he could do but grudgingly accept the name like that because I couldn't go back to get another form. grin
cheesy
Exactly..
Re: Will Your Children Have A Traditional And English Name? by Toluobaeko11: 10:05pm On Jun 24, 2020
sisisioge:

Oga you scattered my Dada with those beautiful names o grin grin grin
Na so oo! We have a lot of beautiful names with deep meanings, anytime I'm telling my Zambian, Kenyan, Ghanian and South African friends the meaning of my names, they're always jealous because their names don't carry deep meanings like ours. I have a Zambian friend who added Damilola to her name just because I told her the meaning

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Will Your Children Have A Traditional And English Name? by Omoluabi16(m): 11:12pm On Jun 24, 2020
Ishilove:

No Aragon and Aliona? cheesy
Aragon ko. sauron ni angry all those funny alien names. Even if e sweet for those oyinbo mouth, we go spoil am with our local accent.
Re: Will Your Children Have A Traditional And English Name? by Nobody: 11:15pm On Jun 24, 2020
English only...
Re: Will Your Children Have A Traditional And English Name? by slam7000(m): 11:59pm On Jun 24, 2020
I can never give my children English or non native names except their mum was English or not Igbo.

Igbo names 100%

First name: Igbo
Middle name: Igbo.

I have an English/biblical name but I don’t use it. It appears in all my documents but friends and work colleagues call me by my Igbo name. Some non Nigerians struggle with the pronunciation but it doesn’t matter.

I must confess that I’m very biased about people with names like John Martin, Stella Margaret, Peter Paul especially my catholic friends and also names like Destiny, Prosper, Victory, Endurance, Success...I think it’s inferiority complex. There must be similar native names that mean the same in English. Once you lose your native name and language, you are worse than a dead person.

4 Likes

Re: Will Your Children Have A Traditional And English Name? by GboyegaD(m): 12:43am On Jun 25, 2020
Xavfra:

Answering your native name gives you an identity.....

It's possible that as a Christian, you answer your native name

If that is how you see it, that's okay.

1 Like

Re: Will Your Children Have A Traditional And English Name? by Munzy14(m): 5:33am On Jun 25, 2020
Omoluabi16:
It depends. There are some 'sweet' native names out there. What's wrong with Lara, ife, Amarachi? its just best we give them cool names. Just that Africans like to tell their life stories through names. Names like idongesit, ufot or muritala are not appealing.
The names parents take for sweet names, might be awkward to the child as he/she grows.
Re: Will Your Children Have A Traditional And English Name? by Nobody: 6:28am On Jun 25, 2020
GboyegaD:

If that is how you see it, that's okay.

Thanks.....

This is why I like Nairalanders......

Thank you, I've learnt a new lesson of life
Re: Will Your Children Have A Traditional And English Name? by Geminita: 8:03am On Jun 25, 2020
Native name all the way....

Both first and middle names.

Names with deep meanings not just ordinary names
Re: Will Your Children Have A Traditional And English Name? by somehow: 2:23pm On Jun 25, 2020
mental slavery is difficult to defeat!
all the names given by everyone who named my baby are indigenous names!

na wetin oyibo and japanese take pass most of una be this
religious names na foreign names too!

2 Likes

Re: Will Your Children Have A Traditional And English Name? by StrikeBack(m): 3:03pm On Jun 25, 2020
100% native names

English can gtf
Re: Will Your Children Have A Traditional And English Name? by arinzos(m): 8:13pm On Jun 25, 2020
sugah:
Our parents generation were fooled to believe you have to give your child an English name (after a saint) for the child to be baptized especially in the Catholic Church and I think it's still the case in Nigeria
I was willing to do a first name: native (father's tribe) middle name: native(mothers tribe) and an English baptizimal name but I was informed he didn't need an 'english name's so I dropped it.

I have an English middle name and when foreign colleagues ask if they can call me by it..I always tell them no. If I can pronounce your name, you can pronounce mine too. And I make sure they pronounce it properly no matter how long it take us cool
Hahahaha grin
I removed my English name Entirely.
I am an Igbo boy any day anytime. Arinze is my name.if you can't call me that,well, sorry grin
Re: Will Your Children Have A Traditional And English Name? by sugah: 8:25pm On Jun 25, 2020
arinzos:

Hahahaha grin
I removed my English name Entirely.
I am an Igbo boy any day anytime. Arinze is my name.if you can't call me that,well, sorry grin
grin grin
Re: Will Your Children Have A Traditional And English Name? by sugah: 8:32pm On Jun 25, 2020
GboyegaD:

Because I like them and they have meanings I like for the ones I like. More so, as a Christian, my religion permits my child(ren) to have Baptismal name. Most importantly, my last name is an English name and I love it that way.
Actually, your child(ren) can be baptized with their native name.

4 Likes

Re: Will Your Children Have A Traditional And English Name? by Nobody: 11:06pm On Jun 25, 2020
It's definitely going to be a Yoruba name. However, one without 'ola' in it. I don't know why most must have 'ola' in it. It becomes stale grin

2 Likes

Re: Will Your Children Have A Traditional And English Name? by GboyegaD(m): 11:21pm On Jun 25, 2020
sugah:

Actually, your child(ren) can be baptized with their native name.

I choose the English name. I like it that way.
Re: Will Your Children Have A Traditional And English Name? by Nobody: 11:31pm On Jun 25, 2020
Both. Native first.

I love names like Ariyike, Ayanfeola, Irewolede, Iremide, Ibioye, Ewatomi etc

For Male: Ademide, Oluwafisayomi, Olamide
Re: Will Your Children Have A Traditional And English Name? by Bojack(m): 11:40pm On Jun 25, 2020
Native 100%
Re: Will Your Children Have A Traditional And English Name? by mrblessed(m): 9:08am On Jun 26, 2020
GboyegaD:

Does giving English names indicate looking down on native names.
Yes, it does and there is a racist undertone that undergirded the emergence of foreign names in Africa, be it Christian or Islamic. Christianity and Islam condemned almost all aspects of African culture and encouraged an adherent to look down on his culture and appreciate these foriegn, inorganic cultures. There is something called arabization in Islam, that is, the process of making a non-Arab Muslim disengage from his culture and embrace Arabic culture in the guise that it is a prerequisite to accepting Islam. Just look at northern Nigeria today and see for yourself how Islam has destroyed Hausa culture and civilization built for hundreds of thousands of centuries. The change of name or the bearing of a foreign name is one of the processes of instilling inferior complex on a person or people.

For Christianity, European clergy didn't see any relevance in African names and ignorantly declared them as "barbaric." Therefore, it was fashionable for a new adherent to jettison his African name that is steeped in meaning and philosophy, and accept an imposed name he doesn't understand and which concealed his identity and history.

There is an ongoing fraud being perpetrated in African churches today called "baptism." As a Christian I don't have problem with the sacrament of baptism since Jesus Christ, our role model, epitomised its significance by blazing the trail and giving it universal acceptance and endorsement. However, the Master didn't take a new when was baptised by John and even if he did, would He have taken a Jewish name and not a Roman or Greek name? It begs the question: why did racist Europeans impose their names as a criterion for baptism?

The readily available answer which Christian leaders, who have been assigned to supervise the promote European culture at the detriment of Africa culture will tell you, is to cite the example of Apostle Paul. But Paul wasn't the model of the Christian faith, and he didn't choose a foreign name, why treat Africans differently? Again, the claim that we need to choose a name of saint during baptism and confirmation is fraudulent, because it presupposes that Africans aren't capable of producing saints. So, just make do with a "super" but utterly meaningless European names.

Yes, when you take and bear an European or Arabic name, you undermine your culture and unintentionally participate in the promotion of a foreign culture that is unabashedly anti-Africa.

Why call it foreign name? Just call it what it is: European or Arabic name.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Will Your Children Have A Traditional And English Name? by Mariangeles(f): 9:21am On Jun 26, 2020
Omoluabi16:
It depends. There are some 'sweet' native names out there. What's wrong with Lara, ife, Amarachi? its just best we give them cool names. Just that Africans like to tell their life stories through names. Names like idongesit, ufot or muritala are not appealing.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha grin grin grin

Bros why na? See you make me laugh out like donkey this early mormor grin
As for Munzy14, I dey suspect say that guy go don change the name wey him papa give am
grin

1 Like

Re: Will Your Children Have A Traditional And English Name? by cococandy(f): 9:35am On Jun 26, 2020
Nope
Re: Will Your Children Have A Traditional And English Name? by bukatyne(f): 9:49am On Jun 26, 2020
starbuck:
This reminds me of my cousin that bears the name Ogochukwu, only for me to call and congratulate her on her matriculation(University of Ghana), she told me that I should start referring her as Pearl

Told her if she no want gree answer the name we grew up with, make she forget

Very funny

1 Like

Re: Will Your Children Have A Traditional And English Name? by GboyegaD(m): 9:59am On Jun 26, 2020
mrblessed:
Yes, it does and there is a racist undertone that undergirded the emergence of foreign names in Africa, be it Christian or Islamic. Christianity and Islam condemned almost all aspects of African culture and encouraged an adherent to look down on his culture and appreciate these foriegn, inorganic cultures. There is something called arabization in Islam, that is, the process of making a non-Arab Muslim disengage from his culture and embrace Arabic culture in the guise that it is a prerequisite to accepting Islam. Just look at northern Nigeria today and see for yourself how Islam has destroyed Hausa culture and civilization built for hundreds of thousands of centuries. The change of name or the bearing of a foreign name is one of the processes of instilling inferior complex on a person or people.

For Christianity, European clergy didn't see any relevance in African names and ignorantly declared them as "barbaric." Therefore, it was fashionable for a new adherent to jettison his African name that is steeped in meaning and philosophy, and accept an imposed name he doesn't understand and which concealed his identity and history.

There is an ongoing fraud being perpetrated in African churches today called "baptism." As a Christian I don't have problem with the sacrament of baptism since Jesus Christ, our role model, epitomised its significance by blazing the trail and giving it universal acceptance and endorsement. However, the Master didn't take a new when was baptised by John and even if he did, would He have taken a Jewish name and not a Roman or Greek name? It begs the question: why did racist Europeans impose their names as a criterion for baptism?

The readily available answer which Christian leaders, who have been assigned to supervise the promote European culture at the detriment of Africa culture will tell you, is to cite the example of Apostle Paul. But Paul wasn't the model of the Christian faith, and he didn't choose a foreign name, why treat Africans differently? Again, the claim that we need to choose a name of saint during baptism and confirmation is fraudulent, because it presupposes that Africans aren't capable of producing saints. So, just make do with a "super" but utterly meaningless European names.

Yes, when you take and bear an European or Arabic name, you undermine your culture and unintentionally participate in the promotion of a foreign culture that is unabashedly anti-Africa.

Why call it foreign name? Just call it what it is: European or Arabic name.

It still doesn't matter. When it will matter is when one chooses to name his child all English names. There are Nigerians who name their kids by another culture name sometimes because they like the meaning or how it sounds or like the people. Does that make them inferior?

I leave you with the concept of arbitariness by Shakespeare. Like he said "whats in a name, that which we call Rose, by any other name, will smell as sweet". This implies calling a Rose by other name doesnt take away its fragrance.

1 Like

Re: Will Your Children Have A Traditional And English Name? by mrblessed(m): 10:19am On Jun 26, 2020
GboyegaD:

It still doesn't matter. When it will matter is when one chooses to name his child all English names. There are Nigerians who name their kids by another culture name sometimes because they like the meaning or how it sounds or like the people. Does that make them inferior?

I leave you with the concept of arbitariness by Shakespeare. Like he said "whats in a name, that which we call Rose, by any other name, will smell as sweet". This implies calling a Rose by other name doesnt take away its fragrance.
That you equate human identity firstly projected by name with an object or a plant, says a lot about your defence and adulation of the western world -- a world that sees you as less human. That is one of the reasons you need to bear a European name to assist you in the attempt to become full human being. Again, by your self-defeating defence, we can infer that there is no relevance to name, just bear anything you like.

I have already given you the historical, sociological, and biblical context of European and Arabic names in Africa, and why any self-aware African should not bear them or impose them on his children. What you decude to do with it is completely your business.

6 Likes

Re: Will Your Children Have A Traditional And English Name? by Munzy14(m): 11:13am On Jun 26, 2020
Mariangeles:

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha grin grin grin

Bros why na? See you make me laugh out like donkey this early mormor grin
As for Mun.zy14, I dey suspect say that guy go don change the name wey him papa give am
grin
For whereee...My best friend in uni days, My grandma when she was alive (because she herself suggested my native and English names) and Some of these ladies at the cashier desks in the bank halls are the only people that calls me my English name.

Every other person calls me by my native name which is cute... cheesy

Re: Will Your Children Have A Traditional And English Name? by Liposure: 11:42am On Jun 26, 2020
4 me, i prefer First name, native (Native names carries weight)/ Middle name, english (for official reasons you neva can tell)

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How My Dad's Friend Raped Me ------5 Year Old Girl / Residents Of Akute, Olambe (ogun State) And Environs Meeting Point / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.