Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,738 members, 7,817,030 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:00 AM

Will Your Children Have A Traditional And English Name? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Will Your Children Have A Traditional And English Name? (3267 Views)

Children Have The Purest Hearts � / My Experience At A Traditional Marriage Ceremony Today. / Traditional And White Wedding Of Old Aunty (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Will Your Children Have A Traditional And English Name? by Mariangeles(f): 9:43pm On Jun 26, 2020
Amaureen:
. Isialambano

Gossip girl grin

Cc Munzy14

1 Like

Re: Will Your Children Have A Traditional And English Name? by Munzy14(m): 10:13pm On Jun 26, 2020
Mariangeles:

Really? I swear, I didn't know

You? cheesy
yea.

Now you know.

Get ready to fry one hectare of plantain plantation... cheesy They are coming soon to decode.
Re: Will Your Children Have A Traditional And English Name? by Munzy14(m): 10:14pm On Jun 26, 2020
Mariangeles:

Gossip girl grin
Cc Munzy14
NLanders are predictable... cheesy
Re: Will Your Children Have A Traditional And English Name? by Amaureen: 12:32am On Jun 28, 2020
Mariangeles:

Gossip girl grin

Cc Munzy14
. Where is my gift grin

1 Like

Re: Will Your Children Have A Traditional And English Name? by Nobody: 2:36am On Jun 28, 2020
slam7000:

I must confess that I’m very biased about people with names like John Martin, Stella Margaret, Peter Paul especially my catholic friends and also names like Destiny, Prosper, Victory, Endurance, Success...I think it’s inferiority complex. There must be similar native names that mean the same in English. Once you lose your native name and language, you are worse than a dead person.

Why don't you type in your native language? It must be inferiority complex to type in English when you have your native language. Sometimes, you guys just spill gibberish.
Re: Will Your Children Have A Traditional And English Name? by Nobody: 2:40am On Jun 28, 2020
mrblessed:
That you equate human identity firstly projected by name with an object or a plant, says a lot about your defence and adulation of the western world -- a world that sees you as less human. That is one of the reasons you need to bear a European name to assist you in the attempt to become full human being. Again, by your self-defeating defence, we can infer that there is no relevance to name, just bear anything you like.

I have already given you the historical, sociological, and biblical context of European and Arabic names in Africa, and why any self-aware African should not bear them or impose them on his children. What you decude to do with it is completely your business.

It is inferiority complex to type and speak English when you can do so in your native language.
Re: Will Your Children Have A Traditional And English Name? by slam7000(m): 3:42am On Jun 28, 2020
Nooil:

Why don't you type in your native language? It must be inferiority complex to type in English when you have your native language. Sometimes, you guys just spill gibberish.

You seem destined to be paranoid. Is your name ‘Destiny’ by any chance?
Re: Will Your Children Have A Traditional And English Name? by Mariangeles(f): 7:54am On Jun 28, 2020
Amaureen:
. Where is my gift grin

Here dear kiss

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Will Your Children Have A Traditional And English Name? by Nobody: 10:26am On Jun 28, 2020
slam7000:

You seem destined to be paranoid. Is your name ‘Destiny’ by any chance?

This is how senseless people respond. This Sunday, I sincerely pray you to have some sense. If you like go about and be answering your backward and wicked African names like Ogundipe and all the Ogun names and be deceiving yourself it has meaning. Meaning my foot!

Maybe Nelson Mandela had an inferiority complex. Goodluck Jonathan is so inferior. Tony Elumelu has got to be the most inferior person on earth.

Chris Ngige is filled with inferiority. Andy Uba's inferiority is over the moon. In fact, Dora Akunyili must have be an inferiority complexed individual.

All because a half-brained moniker with limited knowledge thinks Nigerians with English names, have an inferiority complex.

He even said once you lose your native name you're worse than a dead person. How can you be so stupid? Like you're irritating.

Rather than commenting carelessly, try reading to get more exposure.

Ps: don't expect me to reply your mentions again. I can't even stand conversing with a person like you.
Re: Will Your Children Have A Traditional And English Name? by DTorreto: 10:53am On Jun 28, 2020
Toluobaeko11:
I'm having a full native name 100% and I love it. My children will have a full 100% native name. No name can beat the likes of Adediwura, Oluwasunmisola, Adeife, Adesewa, Oyindamola, Kanyinsola, Adelanke, Adebusola, Wuraola, Ewatomi, etc. I'm a proud Yoruba boy, and I'm so proud of the language, culture, heritage. Will white men from Croatia, Belgium, Poland, Australia, etc name their Children African names?
So....natives name all the way, it's a trend in my family, both home and abroad.

My stand on this subject, I have a native and English name but my two kids bears full native names. They should be proud of their heritage, and shouldn't be burdened also with colonial mental slavery.

Moreover their native names are not limiting factors to what they could achieve in life.

1 Like

Re: Will Your Children Have A Traditional And English Name? by slam7000(m): 11:53am On Jun 28, 2020
Nooil:

This is how senseless people respond. This Sunday, I sincerely pray you to have some sense. If you like go about and be answering your backward and wicked African names like Ogundipe and all the Ogun names and be deceiving yourself it has meaning. Meaning my foot!

Maybe Nelson Mandela had an inferiority complex. Goodluck Jonathan is so inferior. Tony Elumelu has got to be the most inferior person on earth.

Chris Ngige is filled with inferiority. Andy Uba's inferiority is over the moon. In fact, Dora Akunyili must have be an inferiority complexed individual.

All because a half-brained moniker with limited knowledge thinks Nigerians with English names, have an inferiority complex.

He even said once you lose your native name you're worse than a dead person. How can you be so stupid? Like you're irritating.

Ps: don't expect me to reply your mentions again. I can't even stand conversing with a person like you.

I wouldn’t know the degree of your cognitive issues that warranted calling names like Ogundipe and some African names backward and wicked. It is your problem not mine. If however you have to castigate me but at the same time harbour such thoughts about people who bear such identity then you have severe cognitive dissonance and you are an unbearable hypocrite.

I was blunt when I said that I have a bias against certain foreign names and I have no apology for that. English is not the only foreign language. I am pro-native names because I am proud of my culture. I do not have to borrow a name and identity to feel validated and accepted.

Your reading and comprehension deficits have prevented you from seeing where I specified certain double barrelled first names all foreign. Yes I am also biased to names like Endurance or someone answering ‘Government’, Chairman, Governor or Boss.
Your problem is beyond cognition and paranoia.

You didn’t have to drop the names like Chris Ngige, Andy Ubah. I also have a foreign name even though I do not use it. I didn’t give myself the name but I can correct it in raising children that are proud of their background, native names and culture.

I do not blame you for your views. You are not the only one, former Zambian international footballer’s name is Laughter Chilembe, yes he was called mr Laughter, someone from southern part of Nigeria is called Independence Favour, there is an Uche Secondus....for every one of these guys, there is an Ngozi Chimamanda Adichie cool cool...an oasis in the midst of disastrous cultural erosion. For every Romanus Godwin or Livinus Titus Julius Emmanuel, there is an Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje.

These guys are living comfortably and proud of their native names and they have homes in posh neighbourhoods and mingle with the high and mighty who also learn to call and pronounce those names correctly but the the paranoid and insecure ones like you with their haphazard English language communication are moaning about African names.

Finally.....

When you lose a language and a language goes extinct, it’s like dropping a bomb on the Louvre.

—Michael Krauss

I will annoy you again....if you lose your name and language, you are worse than dead.

4 Likes

Re: Will Your Children Have A Traditional And English Name? by Nobody: 12:57pm On Jun 28, 2020
slam7000:

I wouldn’t know the degree of your cognitive issues that warranted calling names like Ogundipe and some African names backward and wicked. It is your problem not mine. If however you have to castigate me but at the same time harbour such thoughts about people who bear such identity then you have severe cognitive dissonance and you are an unbearable hypocrite.

I was blunt when I said that I have a bias against certain foreign names and I have no apology for that. English is not the only foreign language. I am pro-native names because I am proud of my culture. I do not have to borrow a name and identity to feel validated and accepted.

Your reading and comprehension deficits have prevented you from seeing where I specified certain double barrelled first names all foreign. Yes I am also biased to names like Endurance or someone answering ‘Government’, Chairman, Governor or Boss.
Your problem is beyond cognition and paranoia.

You didn’t have to drop the names like Chris Ngige, Andy Ubah. I also have a foreign name even though I do not use it. I didn’t give myself the name but I can correct it in raising children that are proud of their background, native names and culture.

I do not blame you for your views. You are not the only one, former Zambian international footballer’s name is Laughter Chilembe, yes he was called mr Laughter, someone from southern part of Nigeria is called Independence Favour, there is an Uche Secondus....for every one of these guys, there is an Ngozi Chimamanda Adichie cool cool...an oasis in the midst of disastrous cultural erosion. For every Romanus Godwin or Livinus Titus Julius Emmanuel, there is an Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje.

These guys are living comfortably and proud of their native names and they have homes in posh neighborhoods and mingle with the high and mighty who also learn to call and pronounce those names correctly but the paranoid and insecure ones like you with their haphazard English language communication are moaning about African names.

Finally.....

When you lose a language and a language goes extinct, it’s like dropping a bomb on the Louvre.

—Michael Krauss

I will annoy you again....if you lose your name and language, you are worse than death.

Ok, you're trying to sound reasonable now, so I'll respond to you.

I brought up the Ogundipe and other Ogun names because we all know what they mean. Several Christians after being converted have changed their names that started from Ogun. Of course, I don't have problems with other African names as long as they're not extolling an idol.

You don't use your foreign name, but the people I mentioned still use theirs. Does it make them inferior?

Now, the reason why I quoted you in the first place is that you use the word- inferiority complex.

You have a bias against foreign names, that's your problem, but trying to brand those that don't share your ideology as having inferiority complex is inferiority complex at its best.

Now, don't try to be manipulative by saying you mentioned double-barrelled English names. Because in the same vein, you still went ahead to mention single English names.

Your double-barrel English bias is why I used the example, Goodluck Jonathan. Or isn't that a double-barrel English name? Does he also have an inferiority complex?

And what's wrong with answering Laughter? Like seriously?

You don't insult people because they don't share your views is the point I'm making. You can go ahead and name your children all the Nigerian name you love, but don't call people who do differently inferiority complexed individuals. That's stupid!

Ps: Nelson was a name given to Mandela by his teacher. But he didn't see the need to change it like some of his African counterparts. That doesn't make him inferior.

And yes, since you have a bias against foreign names, don't also use their language to communicate. Don't be a bloody hypocrite!
Re: Will Your Children Have A Traditional And English Name? by ecomalchemist(m): 1:01pm On Jun 28, 2020
What's this inferiority complex with having an English name?

Have you ever seen an English man named Michael bear Okoro or Emeka ?

Make una wise up o!

1 Like

Re: Will Your Children Have A Traditional And English Name? by Nobody: 1:26pm On Jun 28, 2020
Nooil:

Kai, religion has completely destroyed this country.Why are African names like Ogun wicked and barbaric?Because your foreign religion has completely clouded your sense of reasoning.
Re: Will Your Children Have A Traditional And English Name? by slam7000(m): 1:52pm On Jun 28, 2020
Nooil:

Ok, you're trying to sound reasonable now, so I'll respond to you.

I brought up the Ogundipe and other Ogun names because we all know what they mean. Several Christians after being converted have changed their names that started from Ogun. Of course, I don't have problems with other African names as long as they're not extolling an idol.

Now, the reason why I quoted you in the first place is that you use the word- inferiority complex.

You have a bias against foreign names, that's your problem, but trying to brand those that don't share your ideology as having inferiority complex is inferiority complex at its best.

Now, don't try to be manipulative by saying you mentioned double-barrelled English names. Because in the same vein, you still went ahead to mention single English names.

Your double-barrel English bias is why I used the example, Goodluck Jonathan. Or isn't that a double-barrel English name? Does he also have an inferiority complex?

And what's wrong with answering Laughter? Like seriously?

You don't insult people because they don't share your views is the point I'm making. You can go ahead and name your children all the Nigerian name you love, but don't call people who do differently inferiority complexed individuals. That's stupid!

Ps: Nelson was a name given to Mandela by his teacher. But he didn't see the need to change it like some of his African counterparts. That doesn't make him inferior.

And yes, since you have a bias against foreign names, don't also use their language to communicate. Don't be a bloody hypocrite!

Do you have mental health issues or just some disturbed hormonal problem this morning?

I used inferiority complex when I mentioned people giving their children names like Endurance, Prosper, Miracle etc...please these are not English names rather English words which mainly Africans turned into names. My argument is that these words also mean something in their native language. I’d be surprised to see an English family name their kid ‘Endurance’, or ‘Prosperity’ which you’d see here in Nigeria especially south Nigeria.

This practice is seen mainly in very religious and superstitious people....Goodluck Jonathan’s family inclusive...his name is also Azikiwe...named after Nnamdi Azikiwe. His Parents must’ve adored Zik and believed that by naming their child Azikiwe, baby Goodluck would rise, achieve and be as famous as Zik.

Christians would refer to the Abram to Abraham change of name or Saul to Paul change of name and it’s subsequent results whenever they are compelled to change name especially after bouts of misfortunes.

Mentioning names like Nelson, Andrew, Chris shows how unintelligent you are....you quoted me and I believe that you went through my comment well because foaming in the mouth.

If you are a Secondus, you can never be more Latin than the pope, if you answer a McGregor, you can’t never be more Celt than the Scots/Irish. It’s only here in this part of the world that someone would criticise an Ogundipe or an Ogun name but celebrate Yuletide, Santa Claus, Easter eggs etc.

Great cultures have survived because they have preserved one of their great treasures...NAMES. You don’t lose your name. There is a reason the Almighty have made you a Yoruba, Igbo, Hausa, Ibibio, Tiv, Jukun etc. You are obliged to promote the uniqueness through your culture especially your NAME. It sets you apart and makes you special. If you lose that part of your uniqueness, you are not just a NO BODY, you are dead.

Once you’ve adopted another man’s name and suppressed yours...yours have been deleted. The other man’s name have been promoted and you are history. As long as I live, no language will eclipse mine. I speak English language most times because my work place is diverse, majority of people that I work with speak different languages and English is the medium of communication but I can easily tell a Polish from his name, a Chinese from her name and an Indian from their name. These people are proud of their native names. If I spoke Hindu, Mandarin or Urdu, it’s not an excuse to adopt their names and some words from these languages and use them as names. That’s not just silly, it shows insecurity.

Btw, if I was Yoruba, I’ll choose an Ogunlana or Ogundipe over something like some of the silly names I’ve heard people answer.

1 Like

Re: Will Your Children Have A Traditional And English Name? by MPESA(m): 2:08pm On Jun 28, 2020
Munzy14:
All this people above saying native names, You people don't know what is going on... The kids will grow to rename themselves especially on social media.

At the University a lot of girls drop their name.

You might be praying for your son Chisom, while he has acquired the name Kelvin in school.. cheesy

You might also be praying for your daughter chioma, while she is answering Cynthia in school.

Names u won't know when they imported them.. smh

Nigerians no deh dull at all.

Every Easterners has BOTH Native And English Names probably you are talking about nicknaming themselves which is not a bad thing and it's very common ....
Re: Will Your Children Have A Traditional And English Name? by Nobody: 4:40pm On Jun 28, 2020
slam7000:

Do you have mental health issues or just some disturbed hormonal problem this morning?

I used inferiority complex when I mentioned people giving their children names like Endurance, Prosper, Miracle etc...please these are not English names rather English words which mainly Africans turned into names. My argument is that these words also mean something in their native language. I’d be surprised to see a English family name their kid ‘Endurance’, or ‘Prosperity’ which you’d see here in Nigeria especially south Nigeria.

This practice is seen mainly in very religious and superstitious people....Goodluck Jonathan’s family inclusive...his name is also Azikiwe...named after Nnamdi Azikiwe. His Parents must’ve adored Zik and believed that by naming their child Azikiwe, baby Goodluck would rise, achieve and be as famous as Zik.

Christians would refer to the Abram to Abraham change of name or Saul to Paul change of name and it’s subsequent results whenever they are compelled to change name especially after bouts of misfortunes.

Mentioning names like Nelson, Andrew, Chris shows how unintelligent you are....you quoted me and I believe that you went through my comment well because foaming in the mouth.

If you are a Secondus, you can never be more Latin than the pope, if you answer a McGregor, you can’t never be more Celt than the Scots/Irish. It’s only here in this part of the world that someone would criticise an Ogundipe or an Ogun name but celebrate Yuletide, Santa Claus, Easter eggs etc.

Great cultures have survived because they have preserved one of their great treasures...NAMES. You don’t lose your name. There is a reason the Almighty have made you a Yoruba, Igbo, Hausa, Ibibio, Tiv, Jukun etc. You are obliged to promote the uniqueness through your culture especially your NAME. It sets you apart and makes you special. If you lose that part of your uniqueness, you are not just a NO BODY, you are dead.

Once you’ve adopted another man’s name and suppressed yours...yours have been deleted. The other man’s name have been promoted and you are history. As long as I live, no language will eclipse mine. I speak English language most times because my work place is diverse, majority of people that I work with speak different languages and English is the medium of communication but I can easily tell a Polish from his name, a Chinese from her name and an Indian from their name. These people are proud of their native names. If I spoke Hindu, Mandarin or Urdu, it’s not an excuse to adopt their names and some words from these languages and use them as names. That’s not just silly, it shows insecurity.

Btw, if I was Yoruba, I’ll choose an Ogunlana or Ogundipe over something like some of the silly names I’ve heard people answer.

I must confess that I’m very biased about people with names like John Martin, Stella Margaret, Peter Paul especially my catholic friends and also names like Destiny, Prosper, Victory, Endurance, Success...I think it’s an inferiority complex. There must be similar native names that mean the same in English. Once you lose your native name and language, you are worse than a dead person.

This was your statement all in one breath. If you have decided to deny it, that's your problem. But the records are there. Like you're not only mentally unstable, you are also a pathetic liar.

You don't have to explain why you have to use another language when yours is there. You're suffering from an inferiority complex.

And going by your ideology, people like Martin Luther King Jnr and Oprah Winfrey are nobody and worse than dead people since they don't have a name attached to a particular culture.

Do you know that the name Trump was originally Drumpf?

If you don't know, people from all over the world adopt the names of other languages they admire. And it doesn't have to be English. You're so half-brained I tell you.

Ps: His name is also Ebele. We can start mentioning all his other names. It won't stop the fact that his first name is Goodluck and his surname is Jonathan. And those are the names the world knows him with.
Re: Will Your Children Have A Traditional And English Name? by Nobody: 5:26pm On Jun 28, 2020
MhisTahrah:
Kai, religion has completely destroyed this country.Why are African names like Ogun wicked and barbaric?Because your foreign religion has completely clouded your sense of reasoning.

Ah yes. The foreign religion has done it. But did you see where I called those who don't share my opinion inferior or worse than dead people?
Re: Will Your Children Have A Traditional And English Name? by Nobody: 7:46pm On Jun 28, 2020
slam7000:

I must confess that I’m very biased about people with names like John Martin, Stella Margaret, Peter Paul especially my catholic friends and also names like Destiny, Prosper, Victory, Endurance, Success...I think it’s inferiority complex. There must be similar native names that mean the same in English. Once you lose your native name and language, you are worse than a dead person.

But why am I even replying an uncultured and uncivil being like you? Smh

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

My Family Is In Shambles Because Of An Ex-boy Friend / I'm Back To Nigeria. See What My Uncle Sent To Me / Dirty Husband

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.