Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,593 members, 7,809,152 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:33 AM

Read The Bible Through - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Read The Bible Through (404 Views)

Why Do Thousands Of Churches Differ In Doctrine Yet They Read The Bible - Freeze / Catholicism's SHOCKING Attitude Toward The Bible! / Is This Where Jesus Endorsed Asoebi In The Bible? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Read The Bible Through by IamDavid(m): 11:20pm On Jun 25, 2020
Good evening fam. I just started a Bible reading plan and I chose the easiest option. It runs for about 3 years, yes, three good years. I chose that because I don't want to get chocked by the way and stop. It's about a chapter a day and it means a lot to me. Also, I don't just want to "read" through, I want to study through. I read commentaries, browse for more info, read different versions pray along, etc. Sometimes it takes up to an hour to study a chapter. Reading the Bible everyday actually feels good, and I encourage you to do the same or better. May God bless us all. Pls share your experience "reading the Bible through".
Re: Read The Bible Through by Kobojunkie: 4:14am On Jun 26, 2020
IamDavid:
Good evening fam. I just started a Bible reading plan and I chose the easiest option. It runs for about 3 years, yes, three good years. I chose that because I don't want to get chocked by the way and stop. It's about a chapter a day and it means a lot to me. Also, I don't just want to "read" through, I want to study through. I read commentaries, browse for more info, read different versions pray along, etc. Sometimes it takes up to an hour to study a chapter. Reading the Bible everyday actually feels good, and I encourage you to do the same or better. May God bless us all. Pls share your experience "reading the Bible through".
An hour to read a chapter? What chapter is that? It takes only minutes to read any chapter. The entire book of Genesis you can read through in a matter of hours, if you are serious. Which kind reading una dey read so? undecided undecided undecided
Re: Read The Bible Through by IamDavid(m): 6:17am On Jun 26, 2020
Kobojunkie:

An hour to read a chapter? What chapter is that? It takes only minutes to read any chapter. The entire book of Genesis you can read through in a matter of hours, if you are serious. Which kind reading una dey read so? undecided undecided undecided
Lol... I get you. I've done those fast paced readings before but I want to take a different approach now. I use the Matthew Henry complete commentary and to study that alone, trust me, one will easily spend up to 30 mins on a chapter. I'll speed up a bit now tho. say 5-10 chapters per day.
Re: Read The Bible Through by Kobojunkie: 5:46pm On Jun 26, 2020
IamDavid:

Lol... I get you. I've done those fast paced readings before but I want to take a different approach now. I use the Matthew Henry complete commentary and to study that alone, trust me, one will easily spend up to 30 mins on a chapter. I'll speed up a bit now tho. say 5-10 chapters per day.
What do you hope to achieve when using such a bible?
I see you are not one of those who believes the Spirit of God gives special interpretation to the words in scripture. Instead your interpretation comes from the mind of so-called Bible scholars. Or am i wrong?.
Re: Read The Bible Through by IamDavid(m): 12:24pm On Jun 27, 2020
Kobojunkie:

What do you hope to achieve when using such a bible?
I see you are not one of those who believes the Spirit of God gives special interpretation to the words in scripture. Instead your interpretation comes from the mind of so-called Bible scholars. Or am i wrong?.
Smiles. I absolutely believe in the ability of the Holy Spirit to interprete the scriptures. But believe me, there's nothing wrong in reading commentaries, if one is convinced to do so. I've been to many churches due to change in location and I've seen my pastors read Study Bibles. Trust me, you'll just understand more. Don't you read any spiritual book apart from the Bible? Kenneth Hagin, Reinhard Bonnke, etc. I know there could be some wrongs in such books, but if you read them with the directive of the holy Spirit, you'll get more. Peace.
Re: Read The Bible Through by Kobojunkie: 5:52pm On Jun 27, 2020
IamDavid:

Smiles. I absolutely believe in the ability of the Holy Spirit to interprete the scriptures. But believe me, there's nothing wrong in reading commentaries, if one is convinced to do so. I've been to many churches due to change in location and I've seen my pastors read Study Bibles. Trust me, you'll just understand more. Don't you read any spiritual book apart from the Bible? Kenneth Hagin, Reinhard Bonnke, etc. I know there could be some wrongs in such books, but if you read them with the directive of the holy Spirit, you'll get more. Peace.

Nowhere in the Bible though is the claim that the Spirit of God provides private "interpretation" of what is written substantiated. It is just that I have heard so many people make the claim in relation to "studying" the bible that i thought to bring it up.

I don't read books written by so-called men of God because Jesus Christ commanded His followers not to perceive themselves teachers in their own right.

I like what John the apostle said when He advised all believers to stick to the teaching of the Spirit of God and only Him. Those are wise words since It is in obedience to that which Jesus Christ Himself commanded.
Re: Read The Bible Through by LordReed(m): 7:25pm On Jun 27, 2020
Kobojunkie:

Nowhere in the Bible though is the claim that the Spirit of God provides private "interpretation" of what is written substantiated. It is just that I have heard so many people make the claim in relation to "studying" the bible that i thought to bring it up.

I don't read books written by so-called men of God because Jesus Christ commanded His followers not to perceive themselves teachers in their own right.

I like what John the apostle said when He advised all believers to stick to the teaching of the Spirit of God and only Him. Those are wise words since It is in obedience to that which Jesus Christ Himself commanded.

Did Jesus himself write anything you do read or are they written by men?
Re: Read The Bible Through by Kobojunkie: 7:27pm On Jun 27, 2020
LordReed:

Did Jesus himself write anything you do read or are they written by men?
Were the writers of the gospels so-called men of God? shocked
Re: Read The Bible Through by IamDavid(m): 8:16pm On Jun 27, 2020
Kobojunkie:

Do you attend a church? Do you wait during sermon? Do you preach to others? If you do any of those you're definitely contradicting yourself. Don't forget that the Bible we read today was translated by humans into English and other languages, we even have many versions out there. While we remain watchful and prayerful to avoid false teachings, discarding every attempt to be taught other believers is on the extreme.
Re: Read The Bible Through by Kobojunkie: 8:31pm On Jun 27, 2020
IamDavid:

Do you attend a church? Do you wait during sermon? Do you preach to others?
I don't attend church since Jesus Christ never built one, never said His followers should, and never suggested attending one wa s necessary for me to end up doing the Will of God. I don't listen to the sermons of men either
I do preach but only as He leads me to.
IamDavid:

If you do any of those you're definitely contradicting yourself. Don't forget that the Bible we read today was translated by humans into English and other languages, we even have many versions out there. While we remain watchful and prayerful to avoid false teachings, discarding every attempt to be taught other believers is on the extreme.
But does it really matter that the book was translated by humans? Shouldn't we at least trust God enough to believe that no matter what errors and mistakes were made during the writing and many translations that ensued, He is able to ensure that His truth reaches the heart of those who sincerely seek Him?
Do you put your trust in the translations and comments of mere mortals or do you place it squarely with God allowing Him to lead you to His truth wherever and however He will.

During the first couple of weeks of my knowing God, God did not lead me to reading the bible for answers to questions i had in my heart at the time.
He lead me to books that opened my eyes to the truth of Him and to the realization that even the Bible, the book is in fact not the word of God, but a book that contains the word of God written down. The truth in the book are the very words that come right out of the mouth of God(Jesus Christ in the NT). Every thing else are words of men.
Re: Read The Bible Through by IamDavid(m): 8:54pm On Jun 27, 2020
Kobojunkie:
I don't attend church since Jesus Christ never built one, never said His followers should, and never suggested attending one wa s necessary for me to end up doing the Will of God. I don't listen to the sermons of men either
I do preach but only as He leads me to.

But does it really matter that the book was translated by humans? Shouldn't we at least trust God enough to believe that no matter what errors and mistakes were made during the writing and many translations that ensued, He is able to ensure that His truth reaches the heart of those who sincerely seek Him?
Do you put your trust in the translations and comments of mere mortals or do you place it squarely with God allowing Him to lead you to His truth wherever and however He will.

During the first couple of weeks of my knowing God, God did not lead me to reading the bible for answers to questions i had in my heart at the time.
He lead me to books that opened my eyes to the truth of Him and to the realization that even the Bible, the book is in fact not the word of God, but a book that contains the word of God written down. The truth in the book are the very words that come right out of the mouth of God(Jesus Christ in the NT). Every thing else are words of men.
Oh... I get you now. But really you don't have to live in self isolation forever. Being a believer isn't a positive Covid 19 result. I pray you read the scriptures to the extent that you'll start to fellowship with the brethren. Trust me, the church is always joyous house anywhere I find myself, and that is what our God promised.
Re: Read The Bible Through by LordReed(m): 8:56pm On Jun 27, 2020
Kobojunkie:
Were the writers of the gospels so-called men of God? shocked

So it wasn't written by Jesus and the consensus is we don't know who wrote then, only that it is attributed to the eponymous titles. How then are they different?
Re: Read The Bible Through by Kobojunkie: 9:00pm On Jun 27, 2020
LordReed:

So it wasn't written by Jesus and the consensus is we don't know who wrote then, only that it is attributed to the eponymous titles. How then are they different?

There is a big difference, but i would rather not bore you with the details since it won't mean anything to you in the end.

1 Like

Re: Read The Bible Through by Kobojunkie: 9:17pm On Jun 27, 2020
IamDavid:

Oh... I get you now. But really you don't have to live in self isolation forever. Being a believer isn't a positive Covid 19 result.
I don't exist in self isolation. The world for followers of Jesus Christ was never meant to revolve around church groups and buildings you see.
Jesus Christ Himself sent His own into the world, not into church buildings. And according to Jesus those who are His sheep are those who will obey His commandments, doing the work which He has in fact called them for.

Read matthew 25 vs 31 to 46 to understand more, making sure to ignore the commentaries abeg!

IamDavid:

I pray you read the scriptures to the extent that you'll start to fellowship with the brethren. Trust me, the church is always joyous house anywhere I find myself, and that is what our God promised.

I fellowship with the Spirit of God. what could be greater than that? And don't get me wrong, i read the Bible too, just not the way you do yours obviously. See, I have a thing against trusting the words of mere mortals. Even God says..

Jeremiah 17 vs 5
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thus says the LORD: “Cursed is the man who trusts in man and makes flesh his strength, whose heart turns away from the LORD.

Jesus Christ never told His followers to set up churched and the apostles never built one. In fact for almost 300 years after Jesus Christ, there were no churches built. Read the book of Acts to learn how they busied themselves with the work of God, reaching out to help those who were in need and the sick.
Re: Read The Bible Through by LordReed(m): 9:47pm On Jun 27, 2020
Kobojunkie:

There is a big difference, but i would rather not bore you with the details since it won't mean anything to you in the end.

Take it that you'd be adding to my knowledge so not a waste.
Re: Read The Bible Through by Kobojunkie: 9:50pm On Jun 27, 2020
LordReed:

Take it that you'd be adding to my knowledge so not a waste.
I think it is more likely to confuse than help, so I rather not.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Lady Blasted After She Announces Conversion To Christianity / COVID-19: Bishop Oyedepo Faith Tabernacle, Ota Prepares For Reopening / You Should Apologise To My Parents Too - Leke Adeboye Tells Daddy Freeze

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.