Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,524 members, 7,837,005 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 03:41 PM

Buhari Didn't Betray Tinubu, He Simply Returned Power Back To The North - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Didn't Betray Tinubu, He Simply Returned Power Back To The North (1796 Views)

Sanwo-Olu To APC SW Leaders: Please Don't Betray Tinubu / Fayose Urges South West Not To Betray Tinubu Like Abiola, Awolowo (Flashback) / President Buhari Didn't Wear Face-Mask. EU Delegates Wore FaceMasks As They Meet (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari Didn't Betray Tinubu, He Simply Returned Power Back To The North by ganisucks(f): 8:49am On Jun 26, 2020
Many political observers have tended to see recent events unfolding in the All Progressive Congress (APC) as President Muhammadu Buhari’s betrayal of former Lagos State governor, Bola Ahmed Tinubu. But this is erroneous. It is simply politics playing out, nothing much more.

Of course, Buhari’s decision to recognise Chief Victor Gaidom as acting chairman of the ruling party, and his consequent dissolution of the National Working Committee of the party on Thursday, means that Tinubu has lost control.

And with that loss, his 2023 presidential ambition is largely over. But was there any basis to have expected a different outcome; that’s is, to have expected that Buhari or the North would back Tinubu’s presidential bid? I doubt. The fact is that Buhari never reached any agreement with Tinubu for the 2023 presidency, and could not have.

I know enough about the politics that went into Buhari’s emergence as APC presidential candidate in 2014 ahead of the 2015 presidential election which he eventually won, to know that there was never an agreement between him and Tinubu with respect to 2023

. Tinubu and his supporters apparently only assumed that since he helped Buhari to become president in 2015 and assisted him to retain his seat in 2019, the president will reciprocate by supporting him in 2023. This assumption or expectation of Buhari’s reciprocal support had, obviously, been the key motivation for the Tinubu camp in their unflinching support for the president.

Regardless, it was always what it was, an assumption. Assumptions are never facts, and expectations are not agreements.

In the power game, there is hardly any room for emotions. You get concessions by putting yourself in the position of strength and using that strength to negotiate your interests. In 2014, Tinubu was in the position of strength, could have used it to negotiate and force Buhari to make whatever concessions he wanted, but he didn’t. And once Buhari became APC candidate, it was over for him and whatever designs himself of the Southwest had for presidency.

I had noted elsewhere previously, that it was naive to expect Buhari to hand over power to the South after just eight years. The president’s antecedents were always there for people to read his mind, but somehow, many chose to delude themselves.

But regarding the agreements made in 2014, I know for a fact that Tinubu only wanted to be Buhari’s running mate, and had tried to insist on being in the ticket with Buhari, by telling Buhari that the Southwest had insisted on him being on the ticket as the condition for them to back the APC project. But Buhari flatly refused.

Whether he expected to use the vice presidency to launch presidential bid in 2023 is another matter. And although there was a bit of a controversy over the acceptability of Muslim-Muslim ticket, which was openly opposed by the likes of former senate president, Abubakar Bukola Saraki, the sole reason Tinubu did not become Buhari’s running mate was that Buhari himself rejected the idea of having him as his running mate. The popular belief that it was about Muslim-Muslim ticket is only an alibi.

The APC was an alliance between North and Southwest and Tinubu’s religion would not have been an issue in the Southwest. That is to say, Buhari and Tinubu could have still won the 2015 election, their Muslim faith notwithstanding.

Buhari, I learned, only offered to have the former Lagos governor nominate two candidates of his choice, so he could pick one. He had expected Tinubu to nominate the current governor of Ekiti State, Kayode Fayemi and Prof Yemi Osinbajo, with the intention of choosing Fayemi. But in the event, Tinubu nominated only Osinbajo and he decided not to push it any further. That was, Tinubu’s stake, I suppose, as far as Buhari was concerned, which probably explains why he snubbed Tinubu’s ministerial nominees in 2015 and opted for Babatunde Fashola, Fayemi and so on, who were more of Tinubu ‘enemies.’ Unfortunately, Tinubu failed to read the handwriting on the wall. He continued imposing himself on the president.

To the certain, however, there is no denying the fact that Tinubu was very instrumental to Buhari’s emergence as president in 2015. He was literally in charge of the Southwest, had control of the media, which he used to sell Buhari to the electorate. And Buhari who was always sure of 12 million votes in the North, needed just that extra votes from the South to win power.

Regardless, one thing is Tinubu being instrumental to Buhari’s emergence, the other is the president appreciating this fact. From what I know, I doubt that Buhari thought very highly of Tinubu’s influence in the lead up to 2015. I’m aware that while Tinubu was still skeptical about the APC ticket, the core Buhari group, comprising then of Kaduna State governor, Mallam Nasir El-Rufai, Jimi Lawal, who now works for him in Kaduna, and Pastor Tunde Bakare had done some opinion sampling and were convinced that the person they actually needed in Lagos was Fashola, then governor of the state. Fashola, from the feedback they got, was preferred to Tinubu in Lagos at the time. And of course, Tinubu and Fashola were not strictly in good terms. At the end of the day, however, a prominent traditional ruler in Ijebu Land, Ogun State intervened and convinced Tinubu to support the ticket.

Obviously, the Buhari group had underestimated Tinubu’s influence, and may have regretted not having him on board, but that’s a matter for another day. Yet, while Tinubu eventually bought into the Buhari ticket, the president’s campaign did not move as smoothly.

It was alleged that he delayed movements of Buhari by arriving at airports late. It was when then Rivers State governor, Chibuike Amaechi joined the APC and threw his financial weight behind Buhari that things began to move smoothly.

Amaechi, of course, wanted to be vice president, and that’s where his fractious relationship with Tinubu began. However, it was obvious to Buhari from the start that a Southwest vice president was his best shot. Amaechi could not have won any of South South or Southeast for APC against Goodluck Jonathan. But even as Buhari didn’t want to risk him as his running mate, he evidently preferred him as a person. This preference appears to be what is now playing out in the APC leadership struggle.

Chief Gaidom who is from Rivers, is believed to be Amaechi’s man, although Amaechi denies having anything to do with the unfolding events. But obviously, the former Rivers governor still has vice presidential or even presidential ambition of his own and would view Tinubu as a potential challenger.

This appears to be the part of the crisis in the party at the moment. But ultimately, it is, in my reckoning, Buhari wanting to retain power in the North.

https://hallmarknews.com/apc-crisis-buhari-didnt-betray-tinubu-they-never-had-an-agreement-about-2023-presidency/
Re: Buhari Didn't Betray Tinubu, He Simply Returned Power Back To The North by seanfer(m): 8:54am On Jun 26, 2020
All this epistles about APC. I hope most people know that the next national chairman will also come from the south until 2022 when the North will produce the next chairman and the presidential candidate will come from the south.
So it’s not a big deal that the CTC chairman is from the North.
Re: Buhari Didn't Betray Tinubu, He Simply Returned Power Back To The North by KAHBOOM: 8:59am On Jun 26, 2020
My friend pls use the right word.

Buhari did not betray him.He simply peeled his feathers off becos he was flaunting it every where like a peacock. cheesy
He is a chicken feeling like an eagle.

3 Likes

Re: Buhari Didn't Betray Tinubu, He Simply Returned Power Back To The North by LadyExcellency: 9:01am On Jun 26, 2020
the sole reason Tinubu did not become Buhari’s running mate was that Buhari himself rejected the idea of having him as his running mate.

A lie from the pit of hell. A desperate Buhari never rejected it rather he had no option than to bow to pressure.

Nigeria: Muslim-Muslim Ticket - I Am Proud of My Role in Stopping Tinubu - Saraki
Re: Buhari Didn't Betray Tinubu, He Simply Returned Power Back To The North by Yebosola(m): 9:09am On Jun 26, 2020
KAHBOOM:

Buhari did not betray him.He simply peeled his feathers becos he was flaunting it every where.

A chicken feeling like an eagle.

U are just a bitter soul, purge yourself the hatred of Tinubu, he is not the architect of failures of your region's govs
Re: Buhari Didn't Betray Tinubu, He Simply Returned Power Back To The North by Akaegwu(m): 9:12am On Jun 26, 2020
Tinubu in soup prepared by buhari.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Didn't Betray Tinubu, He Simply Returned Power Back To The North by realstars: 9:15am On Jun 26, 2020
The Political Game Of Our Time Is Flatters,
Re: Buhari Didn't Betray Tinubu, He Simply Returned Power Back To The North by ThatFairGuy: 9:16am On Jun 26, 2020
SPECULATIONS
Re: Buhari Didn't Betray Tinubu, He Simply Returned Power Back To The North by sapientia(m): 9:17am On Jun 26, 2020
Buhari read what Tunde presented from the cabal

But APC can fear Buhari eeh

Because they are mostly corrupt

Talk piam and your cupboard will be opened
Re: Buhari Didn't Betray Tinubu, He Simply Returned Power Back To The North by BlowYourMind: 9:18am On Jun 26, 2020
Which power did he return
Re: Buhari Didn't Betray Tinubu, He Simply Returned Power Back To The North by KAHBOOM: 9:19am On Jun 26, 2020
Yebosola:

U are just a bitter soul, purge yourself the hatred of Tinubu, he is not the architect of failures of your region's govs

U are the bitter soul here..Hadid bin tinubu was neutral in any issue brought to him without taking side as a so called national leader will he be in this mess?No
But he was busy playing god,bulling and arm twisting party members to bow down to him.Thinking national politics is Lagos politics.

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Didn't Betray Tinubu, He Simply Returned Power Back To The North by BOOZELEE: 9:31am On Jun 26, 2020
KAHBOOM:

U are the bitter soul here..Hadid bin tinubu was neutral in any issue brought to him without taking side as a so called national leader.will he be in this mess?No
But he was busy bulling and arm twisting party members to bow down to him.Thinking national politics is Lagos politics.

I don't know why his supporters don't want to agree he messed up.They feel he is perfect.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Didn't Betray Tinubu, He Simply Returned Power Back To The North by jlinkd78(m): 9:31am On Jun 26, 2020
Noted
Re: Buhari Didn't Betray Tinubu, He Simply Returned Power Back To The North by Nobody: 10:39am On Jun 26, 2020
Typical.
Re: Buhari Didn't Betray Tinubu, He Simply Returned Power Back To The North by Yebosola(m): 11:45am On Jun 26, 2020
KAHBOOM:

U are the bitter soul here..Hadid bin tinubu was neutral in any issue brought to him without taking side as a so called national leader.will he be in this mess?No
But he was busy playing god,bulling and arm twisting party members to bow down to him.Thinking national politics is Lagos politics.

Your stupidity no get part 2, Obaseki tell u this after his visit?

Your stupid no get part 2, Obaseki tell you this when visited?
Re: Buhari Didn't Betray Tinubu, He Simply Returned Power Back To The North by KAHBOOM: 11:52am On Jun 26, 2020
Yebosola:

Your stupid no get part 2, Obaseki tell you this when visited?

Ur own stupidity na watch out for part 2.

Did I mention obaseki?Abi na guilty conscience dey do u on behalf of ur humiliated oga.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Didn't Betray Tinubu, He Simply Returned Power Back To The North by BlackfireX: 11:58am On Jun 26, 2020
No matter how we look at it...

Somehow the north wants to clip tinubu years before election, not months...they don't want any surprises

But why is the north paying tinubu with this shiiit
Re: Buhari Didn't Betray Tinubu, He Simply Returned Power Back To The North by Tonymegabush1(m): 4:15pm On Jun 26, 2020
Any1 with internet enabled phone could be a journalist just sit in house and construct some sentence and statement boom you publish am same ppl there future is been played instead to device strategies to be a force recon with they decide to shade each other...... Ndi mgbu
Re: Buhari Didn't Betray Tinubu, He Simply Returned Power Back To The North by haffaze777(m): 1:05pm On Aug 27, 2023
grin
Re: Buhari Didn't Betray Tinubu, He Simply Returned Power Back To The North by Parachoko: 1:53pm On Aug 27, 2023
Buhari did not have the Power to dissolve the NWC, it was illegal. But Asiwaju didn't talk, he was focus. He lost some of the battles but didn't lose the War.
Re: Buhari Didn't Betray Tinubu, He Simply Returned Power Back To The North by Parachoko: 1:59pm On Aug 27, 2023
KAHBOOM:

Buhari did not betray him.He simply peeled his feathers off becos he was flaunting it every where like a peacock. cheesy
He is a chicken feeling like an eagle.
LWKM 🤣
Re: Buhari Didn't Betray Tinubu, He Simply Returned Power Back To The North by Parachoko: 2:00pm On Aug 27, 2023
LadyExcellency:

A lie from the pit of hell. A desperate Buhari never rejected it rather he had no option than to bow to pressure.

Nigeria: Muslim-Muslim Ticket - I Am Proud of My Role in Stopping Tinubu - Saraki
grin
Re: Buhari Didn't Betray Tinubu, He Simply Returned Power Back To The North by Parachoko: 2:01pm On Aug 27, 2023
KAHBOOM:

U are the bitter soul here..Hadid bin tinubu was neutral in any issue brought to him without taking side as a so called national leader will he be in this mess?No
grin

(1) (Reply)

We Cannot Ban ‘agberos’ Because They Are Our Cousins, Brothers - Lagos Dep Gov / Remo Omokri Challenge Buratai / Rumble In Ojukwu’s Family As Son, Emeka, Attacks Bianca

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.