Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,231 members, 7,829,414 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 06:25 AM

Apart From Sw Which Other Region Can You Find Lot Of YORUBAS - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Apart From Sw Which Other Region Can You Find Lot Of YORUBAS (7185 Views)

IBB, Abdulsalami, Other Region Elders Will Be Disgraced - El-Rufai / Fulani Leaders Boast About Aso Rock, Threaten More Killing Of Yorubas – YOV / Our Region Can Just Be Mapped Out Within A Couple Of Days (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Apart From Sw Which Other Region Can You Find Lot Of YORUBAS by seanwilliam(m): 9:10pm On Jun 27, 2020
fergie001:

We need to talk to ourselves bro....Close door.
Our leaders aren't helping us.

By a hundred miles, for a job seeker (especially a young school leaver) who doesn't have the cash to own or run a business.

That is debatable. The rush to Lagos & SW exposes that Zone to all manner of Crimes etc., which is expected with the population rush.

Someone who earns 100k in Umuahia or Ibadan might sleep well and sound....but if you are working in Lagos with less than 150k monthly, assume you are jobless.

It has nothing to do with been habitable or not.
There is a phobia Yorubas have with anything that have to do with the Igbos and vice versa, especially if that person won't be permanent in Lagos. I don't know the reason(s).
I have spent almost all my life in the West..I had been in a rship with 2 girls (Ekiti & Osun), and they expressed their open displeasure to me with anything about crossing the Niger, and especially if I might be picking up permanent residence there. Infact, one went ahead telling me that her parents will cross it down, that tomorrow we will say we want to leave Nigeria (though jokingly).
Most even when sent on NYSC will prefer to work their service to Kwara or Benin or even PH at worse.
It's something about the Igbos and Yorubas anyways.

Your last statement exemplifies my last line up there. Its something about both of them.
You still have many Yorubas there though working. Most Yorubas & Kwarans are into building projects and Contracts in the East. They are better at it, because they start from a young age. I know men who live in Lagos that come to the SW to take workers who build their houses in the village.
Again, Yorubas don't really like migration excepting outside of the country. At Ibadan, I know people who went from Primary to secondary to Univ to NYSC to PhD without having left the SW.

you are 80% right though....

My best friend is igbo ( igbo from delta) .. he is the smartest and brainy human being of my age I have ever come across.. there is nothing in this world this guy does have the idea.. e no dey go class, e no dey do test yet he never had carry over.. grin

But generally speaking .. yoruba fear igbo ( not dat they hate igbo )..an average yoruba would prefer to be friend with hausa to igbo ...when I was young, I associated anything igbo to FAKE..(jokes apart).. but now I don learn that every tribe has it own shortcomings....

2 Likes

Re: Apart From Sw Which Other Region Can You Find Lot Of YORUBAS by Balogunodua(m): 9:20pm On Jun 27, 2020
Ikennamurphy:
You obviously don't know kogi to include Lokoja so go and sit down
Mr. Man you don't know my state more than i do.

4 Likes

Re: Apart From Sw Which Other Region Can You Find Lot Of YORUBAS by Ikennamurphy: 9:22pm On Jun 27, 2020
Balogunodua:

Mr. Man you don't know my state more than i do.
For your information the last court judgement gave attah igala dominion from ajaokuta to Lokoja Mr kogi man
Re: Apart From Sw Which Other Region Can You Find Lot Of YORUBAS by Balogunodua(m): 9:32pm On Jun 27, 2020
Ikennamurphy:

For your information the last court judgement gave attah igala dominion from ajaokuta to Lokoja Mr kogi man
And for your information mr. ITK the court order has been refuted and there is nothing the Attah of Igala or anyone can do about it, even Malami the AGF declared the judgement null so Attah has no claim over Lokoja

2 Likes

Re: Apart From Sw Which Other Region Can You Find Lot Of YORUBAS by Christistruth00: 10:32pm On Jun 27, 2020
Ikennamurphy:

You obviously don't know kogi to include Lokoja so go and sit down

Ikennamurphy , Mount Patti on which Lord Lugard built his residence was inhabited by Okun Yoruba when he landed there. If not for Politics Lokoja used to be the Alaafins river port. It was the Fulani Jihad that sent the Okun Yoruba fleeing into the mountains fortresses for safety since the Fulani's War horses could not climb up mountains , but the Fulani Jihad failed to Conquer the Area because the natives resisted them and the British checkmated them completely. Even today at least 85% of Okuns are Christians. If you look at Lokoja itself you will see that it is almost completely surrounded by Yoruba Settlements some of them like Agbaja are very ancient ones

4 Likes

Re: Apart From Sw Which Other Region Can You Find Lot Of YORUBAS by Ikennamurphy: 10:35pm On Jun 27, 2020
Christistruth00:

Ikennamurphy , Mount Patti on which Lord Lugard built his residence was inhabited by Okun Yoruba when he landed there. If not for Politics Lokoja area used to be the Alaafins river port. It was the Fulani Jihad that sent the Okun Yoruba fleeing into the mountains fortresses for safety since the Fulani's War horses could not climb up mountains , but the Fulani Jihad failed to Conquer the Area because the natives resisted them and the British checkmated them completely. Even today at least 85% of Okuns are Christians.
But how come Lokoja don't speak okun bc I served in kogi
Re: Apart From Sw Which Other Region Can You Find Lot Of YORUBAS by gnykelly(m): 10:36pm On Jun 27, 2020
interesting read
Re: Apart From Sw Which Other Region Can You Find Lot Of YORUBAS by Christistruth00: 10:47pm On Jun 27, 2020
Ikennamurphy:

But how come Lokoja don't speak okun bc I served in kogi

Lokoja speak Yoruba very well. It was the British that brought the deposed emirs of Kano,Zaria,Katsina infact majority of the deposed Emirs were dumped in Lokoja by the British who wanted to keep an eye on them and many of their followers settled there with them after they had been deposed . But the Okun Yoruba have been residing in Lokoja more than 500 years. That is the honest truth and the Okun have many ancient sites in the Area which confirm this.

5 Likes

Re: Apart From Sw Which Other Region Can You Find Lot Of YORUBAS by leaculpa: 10:53pm On Jun 27, 2020
AllHailBiafra:
You're mentioning Kwara, don't you know that Kwara Originally belongs to the Yoruba before they lost it to the Fulani whom they have resolved to be slaves to' as long as Igbos are being connivingly suppressed. You don't know Kwara is a Yoruba land?
kwara is not yorubaland. Some towns in kwara state are yorubaland. Many of the igbomina towns in kwara state omu-aran, offa etc are fully yorubaland. Only ilorin was given to alimi by afonja, the oyo warrior & has some mixed fulani descendants because of this. So you should mention 'ilorin' next time, not 'kwara'.

There are many towns in kwara state that have nothing to do with Yoruba people & are indigenous to nupe people & other tribes.
Re: Apart From Sw Which Other Region Can You Find Lot Of YORUBAS by Ikennamurphy: 11:05pm On Jun 27, 2020
Christistruth00:

Lokoja speak Yoruba very well. It was the British that brought the deposed emirs of Kano,Zaria,Katsina infact majority of the deposed Emirs were dumped in Lokoja by the British who wanted to keep an eye on them and many of their followers settled there with them after they had been deposed . But the Okun Yoruba have been residing in Lokoja more than 500 years. That is the honest truth and the Okun have many ancient sites in the Area which confirm this.
What I heard was mainly igala sha.. With few okun
Re: Apart From Sw Which Other Region Can You Find Lot Of YORUBAS by Christistruth00: 11:14pm On Jun 27, 2020
Ikennamurphy:

What I heard was mainly igala sha.. With few okun

Igala homeland is on the opposite bank of river Niger Be honest with yourself how many Igala towns are in the Lokoja area? The Igbirra have lived around Ajaokuta for 300 years and they are the next geographical closest Ethnic group to Lokoja area they and the Bassa.

Look at the Map of Igalaland and that of Yorubaland where Lokoja falls is very obvious. Lokoja was the Alaafins river port in the days of Old Oyo.

2 Likes

Re: Apart From Sw Which Other Region Can You Find Lot Of YORUBAS by Ikennamurphy: 11:26pm On Jun 27, 2020
Christistruth00:

Igala homeland is on the opposite bank of river Niger Be honest with yourself how many Igala towns are in the Lokoja area? The Igbirra have lived around Ajaokuta for 300 years and they are the next geographical closest Ethnic group to Lokoja area they and the Bassa.
What I am saying is that igala domination has made the place to have igala spoken more there, I'm not talking about the aboriginals.
Well kogi state would have been a great state bc they have solid minerals but their tribal politics no follow with wicked and heartless igbiras too.. I famzy igala and okun anyway because I have stayed in those locations.. In fact I was initially posted to isanlu before I relocated after some weeks to ankpa.. I worded in Lokoja for months two and had things to do in okene too.. The okun and igalas are nice receptive people

I'm not trying to criticise igbiras but they're not nice people
Re: Apart From Sw Which Other Region Can You Find Lot Of YORUBAS by Nobody: 11:32pm On Jun 27, 2020
Dumb thread
Re: Apart From Sw Which Other Region Can You Find Lot Of YORUBAS by Christistruth00: 11:53pm On Jun 27, 2020
Ikennamurphy:

What I am saying is that igala domination has made the place to have igala spoken more there, I'm not talking about the aboriginals.
Well kogi state would have been a great state bc they have solid minerals but their tribal politics no follow with wicked and heartless igbiras too.. I famzy igala and okun anyway because I have stayed in those locations.. In fact I was initially posted to isanlu before I relocated after some weeks to ankpa.. I worded in Lokoja for months two and had things to do in okene too.. The okun and igalas are nice receptive people

Yoruba is the most popular language in Lokoja the area dominated by Igala is on the opposite bank of River Niger. Igbirra and Yoruba have lived side by side peacefully for 300 years they even fought the Fulani in cooperating with the Yoruba.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Apart From Sw Which Other Region Can You Find Lot Of YORUBAS by Nobody: 12:36am On Jun 28, 2020
schurley:
Abuja, Suleja is largely populated by Yoruba...

Suleja is Niger state not abuja
Re: Apart From Sw Which Other Region Can You Find Lot Of YORUBAS by 0lawale20: 12:44am On Jun 28, 2020
Cashsteady:

Yorubas plenty for Delta.. But that se I no sure Yoruba dey oo because I have this friend is an igbo guy living in SW but schooling in se(futo) the guy say since he reached futo he has never seen any Yoruba person

I have a friend who attends Futo and he is a Yoruba guy
Re: Apart From Sw Which Other Region Can You Find Lot Of YORUBAS by Mastakija(m): 12:47am On Jun 28, 2020
ask my nyash
Re: Apart From Sw Which Other Region Can You Find Lot Of YORUBAS by MetaPhysical: 12:48am On Jun 28, 2020
ShenTeh:
The North Central.

The vast majority of the people in Kwara are Yoruba. In LGAs like Ifelodun, Asa, Ilorin East, Ilorin West, Ilorin South, Offa, Isin, Ekiti, etc I think 12 of the 16 LGAs are aboriginal Yoruba

Kogi State also has about 4 LGAs that are Yoruba people: Kabba Bunu, Ijumu, Yagba East&West. All these people are aboriginal Yoruba not post indepence settlers.

Others can contribute.

You are correct!

People are angry we refuse to go live in East. grin

2 Likes

Re: Apart From Sw Which Other Region Can You Find Lot Of YORUBAS by Mastakija(m): 12:58am On Jun 28, 2020
Ikennamurphy:
Just as they're more igbos in Lagos and ibadan than yorubas
nawa o how can humman being (with human brain) type dis kind of rubbish in public

3 Likes

Re: Apart From Sw Which Other Region Can You Find Lot Of YORUBAS by kbrisco: 5:23am On Jun 28, 2020
Ikennamurphy:

I don't know why Igbiras are so wicked even to themselves.
Re: Apart From Sw Which Other Region Can You Find Lot Of YORUBAS by Ikennamurphy: 6:13am On Jun 28, 2020
Mastakija:
nawa o
how can humman being (with human brain) type dis kind of rubbish in public
Go drink snipper tongue
Re: Apart From Sw Which Other Region Can You Find Lot Of YORUBAS by oyatz(m): 7:41am On Jun 28, 2020
There are more Yorubas in Kano than all these places. There are substantial Yorubas in Jos and Borno State

leaculpa:
I have been to many states. The only states I've seen a sizeable number of Yorubas outside of their indigenous states are:

Kaduna
Abuja
Niger
Edo
Delta

We are not loud & tend to integrate, so it might not be so obvious at first glance. We definitely don't mass migrate to other regions though.
Re: Apart From Sw Which Other Region Can You Find Lot Of YORUBAS by oyatz(m): 7:44am On Jun 28, 2020
Where?

Jebba?

baby124:
Niger State has indegenous Yorubas
Re: Apart From Sw Which Other Region Can You Find Lot Of YORUBAS by oyatz(m): 7:46am On Jun 28, 2020
There are in OgwashiUkwu.

My Ex-GF is from that town.

Nwanyiogwashi:
Have not seen any in Ogwashi ukwu or Asaba
Re: Apart From Sw Which Other Region Can You Find Lot Of YORUBAS by oyatz(m): 8:02am On Jun 28, 2020
It has it's merits and demerits.
If 50% of Nigerians leave their ancestrial lands to go and settle in other parts of Nigeria, in the next 70years Tribalism would have been reduced drastically and we would have been closer to becoming a Nation.

Because of the substantial numbers of Igbos living in the S/West, i know many people that are Yoruba-Igbo hybrid (Some are even my relatives).

fergie001:

Igbos are extremely curious individuals who like to explore and move.
Even if you bring UI & UNILAG to the SE.....they will still leave.

Again, we don't make our Universities attractive enough for anyone to stay, tbh.

Another is: there are really no jobs in the SE.

So the Igbo man wants to get out of his Zone, go to Maiduguri, Kano, Kaduna, Ibadan, whilst schooling, he is "shining his eye", making friends who might help him rather than go back to the East and start running Provisions Stores, or teaching WAEC Chemistry with BSc in Biochemistry.

They don't even know here isn't even a bed of roses but they can apply for jobs, go for interviews and keep hopes alive.

Correct me if I am wrong, majority of the jobs you see are mainly teaching or @ most State Govt jobs where you wouldn't even be paid for months.

When I wanted to run one of my degrees, I opted for ZIK..as the 1st son I wanted to be closer home, since all my family members were born and resident in Lagos. 2 weeks before I will complete my registration, I got same admission with a Fed Univ in the SW..

I enquired from my fellow Igbo friends, not one, even there in Abia or Anambra told me to remain in ZIK. They all said; LEAVE, I was shocked.
I abandoned even the little payments I had made and left.

Until our Govts begin to let the massive crowd that get out of our SE Institutions do something .....the migration would not STOP.

Ironically, most of the jobs they run to or apply in Lagos and co...are owned by same Igbos who didn't put it in the SE. The first question we should ask is WHY!?

1 Like

Re: Apart From Sw Which Other Region Can You Find Lot Of YORUBAS by fergie001: 8:44am On Jun 28, 2020
oyatz:
It has it's merits and demerits.
If 50% of Nigerians leave their ancestrial lands to go and settle in other parts of Nigeria, in the next 70years Tribalism would have been reduced drastically and we would have been closer to becoming a Nation.
I concur

Because of the substantial numbers of Igbos living in the S/West, i know many people that are Yoruba-Igbo hybrid (Some are even my relatives).
True, but it becomes a bit frightening when the number outside is threateningly more than the number inside.
Especially when many don't return home or even ask about what's happening at home, perhaps until they are dead.
That's where the issue crops up.
Re: Apart From Sw Which Other Region Can You Find Lot Of YORUBAS by 9jakool: 8:58am On Jun 28, 2020
Christistruth00:

Yoruba is the most popular language in Lokoja the area dominated by Igala is on the opposite bank of River Niger. Igbirra and Yoruba have lived side by side peacefully for 300 years they even fought the Fulani in cooperating with the Yoruba.

Have you been to Lokoja before?
Re: Apart From Sw Which Other Region Can You Find Lot Of YORUBAS by NoIgboSoundTueh: 9:39am On Jun 28, 2020
Sammy07:
But one thing I'm sure is, there are more Yorubas in The North than South East / South South.

And there are more Yorubas in South South than South East
Yeah,
Yorubas don't live in South east the few yorubas living there i will personally go there myself and flog them back home.
Put them in treatment centre and expel the spirits of 80% 70% from them
What the heck are they doing there?

4 Likes

Re: Apart From Sw Which Other Region Can You Find Lot Of YORUBAS by Sammy07: 9:47am On Jun 28, 2020
NoIgboSoundTueh:

Yeah,
Yorubas don't live in South east the few yorubas living there i will personally go there myself and flog them back home.
Lol, they working tho

Like bankers, military, contractors
Re: Apart From Sw Which Other Region Can You Find Lot Of YORUBAS by Christistruth00: 11:06am On Jun 28, 2020
9jakool:

Have you been to Lokoja before?

Yes.
Whenever Yoruba people are travelling from Northern Nigeria , when they reach Lokoja or Jebba they always give God thanks for arriving safely into Yorubaland.

3 Likes

Re: Apart From Sw Which Other Region Can You Find Lot Of YORUBAS by Ebenezer202O: 12:24pm On Jun 28, 2020
NoIgboSoundTueh:

Yeah,
lol omo see finishing.
PikinNwaSmall

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Trump Impeachment Rejected / APC Holds Rally For Tinubu, Other Candidates In Gwadabawa, Sokoto State / Killing APC Supporter: Police Accuses Kogi SDP Candidate Of Violent Conduct

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.