Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,227 members, 7,818,770 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:47 AM

Obey God- Obey Your Parents - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Obey God- Obey Your Parents (867 Views)

Churches Should Obey The Government's Social Distancing And Lockdown Order / Are We Truly Not To Obey The Old Testament Laws Anymore? / Would You Obey Your Pastor When He Tells You To Leave Your Lucrative Job? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obey God- Obey Your Parents by Missyajoke(f): 8:26pm On Jun 27, 2020
Good evening everyone am here to enlighten people on the mistake they make in terms of obedience. What does Obedience means? It means total submission to a given authority. If you cannot obey God you'll never obey your parents. Your parents are the next companion you have after God, why don't you obey them. Saw a post somewhere where someone was saying you shouldn't obey what your parents are saying. The bible says " Honour your father and your mother". Through honour you obey and listen . Your parents are correcting you're complaining. How won't you complain to God, simple instruction you disobey. Your parents are God in your Life, they spent every kobo to see you succeed and Now you're disobeying them are you following God's word. They're advising you're rejecting their advice but what you don't know your parents have existed before you and they know the right thing. You may say " They don't always listen to me" why don't you pray for God to touch their hearts. Without their consent you got married and you think they will be happy with you and God will happy with you. Your parents blessing is important for you to succeed, don't let me deceive you, you need it. If your parents are angry with you no prayer will solve your problem until you go back and seek for their forgiveness. Parents are like Lords, treat them well.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obey God- Obey Your Parents by Kobojunkie: 8:40pm On Jun 27, 2020
God never preached that we obey our parents abeg!

God said to honor your father and your mother
.. that is the command. Honoring your father and your mother is not same as obeying them. Teaching that they are one and the same is dangerous especially where children are concerned.
God commanded that we obey Him and Him alone.

3 Likes

Re: Obey God- Obey Your Parents by Missyajoke(f): 9:26pm On Jun 27, 2020
Kobojunkie:

.. that is the command. Honoring your father and your mother is not same as obeying them. Teaching that they are one and the same is dangerous especially where children are concerned.

Stop misleading people with your posts.
Re: Obey God- Obey Your Parents by Kobojunkie: 9:28pm On Jun 27, 2020
Missyajoke:

Stop misleading people with your posts.
What is misleading about the comment?

1 Like

Re: Obey God- Obey Your Parents by AntiChristian: 10:57pm On Jun 27, 2020
See both silly people. After you'll both say you're being led by one spirit wey holy!

Yet not one verse did they quote!

Anyways if you don't mind I can settle your Matter. Both of you are correct in one way and can also be wrong in another way.

God never said obey your parents, Paul said so.

But if you believe God was in Paul when he said that, then God said it.

Paul says...

Colossians 3:20
Children, obey your parents in everything, for this pleases the Lord.

How can you obey EVERYTHING your parents say? What if they command you to commit a sin? There have to be limits when you are commanded to obey your parents. Christians might argue back that a child doesn't have to obey his parents if they order him to commit a sin against God, for God would never order such a thing. Fine, but what if the parents order their child to do something that might be injurious to his or her health? What does Paul mean by 'everything'? Who sets the objective standard by putting the limits to this teaching?

Someone with the holy spirit should come and explain the meaning of "everything"

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obey God- Obey Your Parents by Kobojunkie: 11:08pm On Jun 27, 2020
AntiChristian:

Someone with the holy spirit should come and explain the meaning of "everything"
Let me guess? You also doubt the existence of the Spirit of God? undecided

He does not contradict God and certainly every word out of the mouths of men have to be validated against God's own words. So in this case since God never commanded that we obey parents, it is wrong to Teach that we should. undecided

About everything, you will need to ask Paul, or whoever really wrong those words, about that. undecided
Re: Obey God- Obey Your Parents by AntiChristian: 11:16pm On Jun 27, 2020
Kobojunkie:
Let me guess? You also doubt the existence of the Spirit of God? undecided

He does not contradict God and certainly every word out of the mouths of men have to be validated against God's own words. So in this case since God never commanded that we obey parents, it is wrong to Teach that we should. undecided

About everything, you will need to ask Paul, or whoever really wrong those words, about that. undecided

Actually, Angel Gabriel is whom God sends to His beloved Prophets.

God's got no separate spirit that's a God!

Why not connect with Paul through the spirit you got and answer your question?
Re: Obey God- Obey Your Parents by Kobojunkie: 11:20pm On Jun 27, 2020
AntiChristian:

God's got no separate spirit that's a God!

Why not connect with Paul through the spirit you got and answer your question?
Angel Gabriel to prophets? I know Zechariah was a priest but I didn't know Mary was a prophet.
Like i told you, we dont worship the same God, so there is no way i can even begin to say anything on the subject that you will understand.

As for Paul, well, i already commented on what i believe of the writing.

1 Like

Re: Obey God- Obey Your Parents by AntiChristian: 11:25pm On Jun 27, 2020
Kobojunkie:

Angel Gabriel to prophets? I didn't know Mary was a prophet.
Like i told you, we dont worship the same God, so there is no way i can even begin to say anything on the subject that you will understand.

As for Paul, well, i already commented on what i believe of the writing.

Oops! My bad! Not "only" Prophets but mostly Prophets and righteous people.

Yeah I worship the creator of Jesus, Abraham, Adam and others Sha!

But you worship Jesus+ Spirit + father right?

What a difference!
Re: Obey God- Obey Your Parents by Kobojunkie: 11:28pm On Jun 27, 2020
AntiChristian:

Oops! My bad! Not "only" Prophets but mostly Prophets and righteous people.

Yeah I worship the creator of Jesus, Abraham, Adam and others Sha!

But you worship Jesus+ Spirit + father right?

What a difference!

That is why i concluded that we cannot in fact worship the very same God because my God does not and cannot lie.
Only humans can do that. So since I know my God is, and you claim to know your God, it makes sense to believe that we are in fact not referring to the same God. undecided
Re: Obey God- Obey Your Parents by AntiChristian: 11:30pm On Jun 27, 2020
Kobojunkie:

That is why i concluded that we cannot in fact worship the very same God because my God does not and cannot lie.
Only humans can do that. So since I know my God is, and you claim to know your God, it makes sense to believe that we are in fact not referring to the same God. undecided

Your God cannot lie? Are you sure?
Re: Obey God- Obey Your Parents by Kobojunkie: 11:31pm On Jun 27, 2020
AntiChristian:

Your God cannot lie? Are you sure?
Of that, i am absolutely sure of.
Re: Obey God- Obey Your Parents by AntiChristian: 11:44pm On Jun 27, 2020
Kobojunkie:

Jesus should’ve returned already.

Jesus promised to return within the lifetimes of those listening to him. This Apocalyptic message (Apocalypticism claims that the end times are very close) is found in the three synoptic gospels. It takes a passage in Isaiah 13 that predicts calamity for Babylon—that the sun and moon will darken and the stars will fall—and repurposes it as a prediction of the end. It also predicts:

[All people on earth will] see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven, with power and great glory . And he will send his angels with a loud trumpet call, and they will gather his elect from the four winds.
(Matthew 24:30–31)

The prediction ends saying that this will all happen soon.

This generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened
(Matthew 24:34).

Let me emphasize those two points: “these things” will happen soon (within months or years, not centuries), and “these things” are obvious and world-destroyingly calamitous. The popular Christian response that this referred to the fall of the Temple won’t fly.

Earlier in the same gospel, we find other references to the imminent coming of the Son of Man:

When you are persecuted in one place [as you spread the gospel], flee to another. Truly I tell you, you will not finish going through the towns of Israel before the Son of Man comes.
(Matthew 10:23)

Some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom (Matthew 16:28).

It’s been a lot longer than one generation. Jesus made a mistake and you are wrong in your assertion.....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Obey God- Obey Your Parents by Kobojunkie: 11:58pm On Jun 27, 2020
AntiChristian:

Jesus promised to return within the lifetimes of those listening to him. This Apocalyptic message (Apocalypticism claims that the end times are very close) is found in the three synoptic gospels. It takes a passage in Isaiah 13 that predicts calamity for Babylon—that the sun and moon will darken and the stars will fall—and repurposes it as a prediction of the end. It also predicts:

[All people on earth will] see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven, with power and great glory . And he will send his angels with a loud trumpet call, and they will gather his elect from the four winds.

This generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened

Let me emphasize those two points: “these things” will happen soon (within months or years, not centuries), and “these things” are obvious and world-destroyingly calamitous. The popular Christian response that this referred to the fall of the Temple won’t fly.

Earlier in the same gospel, we find other references to the imminent coming of the Son of Man:

When you are persecuted in one place [as you spread the gospel], flee to another. Truly I tell you, you will not finish going through the towns of Israel before the Son of Man comes.

Some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom (Matthew 16:28).

It’s been a lot longer than one generation. Jesus made a mistake and you are wrong in your assertion.....
As tempting as this maybe, i believe you are free to believe as you will in even this. undecided
Re: Obey God- Obey Your Parents by saintvc(m): 1:49am On Jun 28, 2020
Kobojunkie:

I was about answering her until I realised she was a woman.

THE DAY YOU START DISCERNING THE BEST TIME TO DISOBEY YOUR PARENT IS WHEN A BOY START MATURING TO A MAN.

KEEP OBEYING YOUR PARENT AND YOU REPEAT THEIR. MISTAKES

2 Likes

Re: Obey God- Obey Your Parents by Kobojunkie: 1:52am On Jun 28, 2020
saintvc:

KEEP OBEYING YOUR PARENT AND YOU REPEAT THEIR. MISTAKES
Sadly, that seems one major reason why the "youths" of Nigeria have yet to emerge any better than their parents before them. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Obey God- Obey Your Parents by saintvc(m): 2:15am On Jun 28, 2020
Kobojunkie:

God told his prophet to lie in the been ble
Re: Obey God- Obey Your Parents by Kobojunkie: 2:37am On Jun 28, 2020
saintvc:

God told his prophet to lie in the been ble
God also told His prophet to kill.. so? undecided
Re: Obey God- Obey Your Parents by Nobody: 2:46am On Jun 28, 2020
Missyajoke:
Good evening everyone am here to enlighten people on the mistake they make in terms of obedience. What does Obedience means? It means total submission to a given authority. If you cannot obey God you'll never obey your parents. Your parents are the next companion you have after God, why don't you obey them. Saw a post somewhere where someone was saying you shouldn't obey what your parents are saying. The bible says " Honour your father and your mother". Through honour you obey and listen . Your parents are correcting you're complaining. How won't you complain to God, simple instruction you disobey. Your parents are God in your Life, they spent every kobo to see you succeed and Now you're disobeying them are you following God's word. They're advising you're rejecting their advice but what you don't know your parents have existed before you and they know the right thing. You may say " They don't always listen to me" why don't you pray for God to touch their hearts. Without their consent you got married and you think they will be happy with you and God will happy with you. Your parents blessing is important for you to succeed, don't let me deceive you, you need it. If your parents are angry with you no prayer will solve your problem until you go back and seek for their forgiveness. Parents are like Lords, treat them well.

So in other words, we should obey our parents if they command us to worship idols? I think thats what kobojunkie was trying to clear out with you earlier as using the word "obey" could be misleading to premature Christians. So, "honour " as the Bible puts it will be more appropriate in this context.

Nice piece, Sis.

3 Likes

Re: Obey God- Obey Your Parents by Kobojunkie: 3:35am On Jun 28, 2020
Eulalia:
So in other words, we should obey our parents if they command us to worship idols? I think thats what kobojunkie was trying to clear out with you earlier as using the word "obey" could be misleading to premature Christians. So, "honour " as the Bible puts it will be more appropriate in this context.
Nice piece, Sis.
I would say again that the major reason not to teach such is that God never commanded it of us. Nowhere does God command children to obey Him and also their parents. Also, the example we have of Jesus Christ Himself shows this to be the case.
We are to obey God, not our parents. Of course, honor your parents, but obey God in all things.
Re: Obey God- Obey Your Parents by orunto27: 4:10am On Jun 28, 2020
Obedience is Conformity with the COVENANTS of God and with Agreements and CONTRACTS with fellow Humans.
Re: Obey God- Obey Your Parents by advocatejare(m): 8:50am On Jun 29, 2020
AntiChristian:

Before I explain those Bible passages to you, let's see Muhammad's prophecy about when the last day will be.

Sahih Muslim Book 041, Number 7052: "Anas b. Malik reported that a person asked Allah's Apostle (may peace be upon him): When would the Last Hour come? Thereupon Allah's Messenger (way peace be upon him) kept quiet for a while. then looked at a young boy in his presence belonging to the tribe of Azd Shanilwa and he said: If this boy lives he would not grow very old till the Last Hour would come to you. Anas said that this young boy was of our age daring those days"
Re: Obey God- Obey Your Parents by advocatejare(m): 9:02am On Jun 29, 2020
AntiChristian:
See both silly people. After you'll both say you're being led by one spirit wey holy!

Yet not one verse did they quote!

Anyways if you don't mind I can settle your Matter. Both of you are correct in one way and can also be wrong in another way.

God never said obey your parents, Paul said so.

But if you believe God was in Paul when he said that, then God said it.

Paul says...

Colossians 3:20
Children, obey your parents in everything, for this pleases the Lord.

Muhammad says the Lord's pleasure is what pleases your parents, so if prostitution is what pleases your parent is that also your Lord's pleasure? What if it's idolatry, terrorism, armed robbery etc? ...

"Abdullah bin Amr narrated that:
the Prophet said: "The Lord's pleasure is in the parent's pleasure, and the Lord's anger is in the parent's anger."(Hasan)."

-: Jami` at-Tirmidhi 1899

And Muhammad also said disobedience to parents is one of the major sins which is in the same category as shirk, murder and lying

"Anas narrated from the Apostle (ﷺ) about the major sins. He (the Holy Prophet) observed:
Associating anyone with Allah, disobedience to parents, killing a person and false utterance."

-Sahih Muslim Book 1, Hadith 166

Also, Muhammad said you won't enter paradise if your parents are angry with you for what you didn't do, for the offence they commit against you, for the wrong they do to you

Ibn 'Abbas said, "If any Muslim obeys Allah regarding his parents, Allah will open two gates of the Garden for him. If there is only one parent, then one gate will be opened. If one of them is angry, then Allah will not be pleased with him until that parent is pleased with him." He was asked, "Even if they wrong him?" "Even if they wrong him" he replied.
- Al-Adab Al-Mufrad 7
Re: Obey God- Obey Your Parents by advocatejare(m): 9:06am On Jun 29, 2020
AntiChristian:

Show where the spirit that appeared and tormented Muhammad in the cave of Hira claimed to be Gabriel
Re: Obey God- Obey Your Parents by Missyajoke(f): 12:56pm On Jun 29, 2020
Eulalia:

Nice piece, Sis.

Thanks

1 Like

Re: Obey God- Obey Your Parents by petra1(m): 1:31pm On Jun 29, 2020
Missyajoke:
. Saw a post somewhere where someone was saying you shouldn't obey what your parents are saying. The bible says " Honour your father and your mother"

Honour for parents is a biblical principle . Not honoring them can bring curse on people .

Through honour you obey and listen . Your parents are correcting you're complaining.. . . " why don't you pray for God to touch their hearts. Without their consent you got married and you think they will be happy with you and God will happy with you. Your parents.

As much as it’s scriptural to honour them . There is however a limit to your submission to them . Firstly you’re free to make your decision as an adult . And even if you’re a child you have the right to disssobey your parents if their stand is contrary to God . You can’t follow your parent to shrine after you get saved in the name of honor .

Matthew 10:37
37 He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.

Paul admonish us to obey them only in the lord . Not outside the lord

Ephesians 6:1
1 Children, obey your parents in the Lord: for this is right.

Remember Not every parent is spiritual .Aiken Parents Are not trained or matured to be parents . Patents have destroyed many lives by control of destiny . They can be used by the enemy if care is not taken . Christ must be Our lives

2 Likes

Re: Obey God- Obey Your Parents by Nobody: 1:41pm On Jun 29, 2020
Missyajoke:

Thanks

You are welcome dearie.
Re: Obey God- Obey Your Parents by AntiChristian: 5:47am On Jul 03, 2020
advocatejare:

Before I explain those Bible passages to you, let's see Muhammad's prophecy about when the last day will be.

Sahih Muslim Book 041, Number 7052: "Anas b. Malik reported that a person asked Allah's Apostle (may peace be upon him): When would the Last Hour come? Thereupon Allah's Messenger (way peace be upon him) kept quiet for a while. then looked at a young boy in his presence belonging to the tribe of Azd Shanilwa and he said: If this boy lives he would not grow very old till the Last Hour would come to you. Anas said that this young boy was of our age daring those days"

What is the title of this chapter according to Imam Muslim?

Why are you so fond of half-truths to lie and deceive people like Boko Haram like this?
Re: Obey God- Obey Your Parents by advocatejare(m): 7:35am On Jul 03, 2020
AntiChristian:

What is the title of this chapter according to Imam Muslim?

Why are you so fond of half-truths to lie and deceive people like Boko Haram like this?
Stop asking me stupid questions. I've just exposed how your Prophet said the last hour would come before a boy in his presence gets old, and that was more than 1,400 years ago, and yet the last hour hasn't come and you're here asking me stupid question.

I think it's best you answer yourself
Re: Obey God- Obey Your Parents by AntiChristian: 2:55pm On Jul 03, 2020
advocatejare:

Stop asking me stupid questions. I've just exposed how your Prophet said the last hour would come before a boy in his presence gets old, and that was more than 1,400 years ago, and yet the last hour hasn't come and you're here asking me stupid question.

I think it's best you answer yourself

It's not actually a stupid question! But it's your stupidity that made you not interpret the narration according to its title.
Re: Obey God- Obey Your Parents by AntiChristian: 2:57pm On Jul 03, 2020
Kobojunkie:

As tempting as this maybe, i believe you are free to believe as you will in even this. undecided

Dodging tactics!
Great!
Re: Obey God- Obey Your Parents by Kobojunkie: 2:59pm On Jul 03, 2020
AntiChristian:

Dodging tactics!
Great!
of course! undecided am i not allowed to choose instead to pass on that which i know will bore even me? undecided

(1) (2) (Reply)

Can I Commit Suicide And Go To Heaven / BLASPHEMY -ISRAELI Medic Fired For Spitting On Jesus Portraits / The Law Of Moses And The Grace Of Jesus Christ

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.