Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,970 members, 7,835,260 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 07:50 AM

My Covid 19 Experience In Australia - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / My Covid 19 Experience In Australia (630 Views)

My COVID-19 Vaccine Experience / Babajide Sanwo-Olu - My COVID-19 Experience / Akin Alabi: My COVID-19 Test Centre Awaiting Approval Of Health Ministry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Covid 19 Experience In Australia by Majestic77(m): 11:17pm On Jun 27, 2020
I'm new to this forum and I believe this is the right section to post my covid19 experience.
Please pardon my typos and my punctuations as I struggle with proper punctuations, lol
It was on the 3rd of April when I finished from my afternoon/night shift. Around 11pm, it was just like every other day till I came out of my shift, ready to go home. Usually, we leave our phones in our cars for maximum Concentration (company's policy). When I regained access to my phone, I saw 7 missed calls, 5 of them from new south wales public health sector. For proper introduction, I live in Sydney Australia (new south wales). Normally, people or organizations calls you just once, when you don't pick up, they assume you're busy and send you text message or drop voice message for you to call back when you can. However, since 5 of their calls was not answered, they dropped me voice message telling me to call them back asap as it a matter of health issues. I immediately put a call across and a woman answered, it was a man that dropped me a voice message and said his name is Peter (not real name). So, when the women answered, I requested to speak with Peter. She asked me in regards to what? I said I don't know and it was reason I was calling back, cos he (Peter) left me a voice message urging me to call back as soon as I see his text. She said Peter
has closed for the day and she's has replaced him as she's on night shift. Remember I was calling back at around 11pm while Peter called around 4pm which was unanswered. She requested for my name, I told her. She pulled up my details instantly from her system (Oyibo and their organized life eh). She told me, she wouldn't know why Peter called me as he didn't leave any instructions. She however, told me to hold my phone close, that Peter will resume work the following day by 6am and would call me back. I started shivering somehow because I know public health don't just call if wasn't for serious issues. Anyways, 6:25am next day being Saturday 4th of April 2020. Peter called and gave me the worse news I could possibly hear. It goes thus, hey man, how are you going ( Australian slangs of "how are you doing". He said, mate, our record indicates that you have been exposed to a confirmed case of Corona virus patient while he was infectious. His name is Mr. Ben, he tested positive yesterday being Friday 3rd of April 2020 and you had close contact with him on 30th of March of which you spent 1hr in a confined space with him, now we will require you to go on a self isolation till 14th of April. Remember, i had close contact with this person on Monday 30th of March and I was given a call on Saturday 4th of April. It means I had already spent 5 days after exposure. So,5 days will be substracted from 14 mandatory self isolation leaving me to self isolate for 9 days, because self isolation starts from the day of exposure. so, I had already spent 5 days roaming streets of Sydney oblivion of what's to come. He told me not to go outside for any reason. He also told me to arrange someone to buy me groceries and drop them at my door step without coming close me. He insisted I stay indoors and monitor my health, if I develop any mild symptoms like fever, cough, sneezing etc, I should stay put. But if I develop chest pain or difficulty in breathing, I should call emergency services instantly. I started breathing heavily, which he noticed. He tried to cheer me up. He playfully told me that I have every chance of fending off this virus due to my young age. He doesn't need to ask me my age cos once you're in this country, you're info is uploaded into their data base, so as he was speaking with me, he had all the relevant information about me in front of him. Oh I nearly forgot to tell you guys how I was exposed to a positive carrier. I work as a carer, and on that faithful 30th of March, I drove Mr. Ben to see the doctor and brought him back home. Now, Let's get back to my story. After this terrible news from Peter, my whole world crashed, I thought about my mother, my siblings. How do I break this news to them, because I believed it was only a matter of time before I started showing symptoms. I decided not to tell them. But I confided in of my cousins here in Australia, albeit a different state. He's a nurse. He reassured me that I will beat this virus. I would always go on YouTube and see young people dying of this virus in US, UK and Italy, further giving myself Hbp. Every day, public health would call to monitor my health (country that truly cares about people's wellbeing). My mind started playing tricks on me, I started feeling feverish. But no cough nor breathing difficulties. I told public health of this vague sysmtoms( comes and goes). They said it might be my mind tricking me and also my body reacting to the news. I.e it hits me hard. Anyways, it was 12 days gone and no notable sysmtoms. On the 13th day, I was mandated to go for covid19 test because the vague sysmtoms i was having. Of course they can't just reintegrate me into the community as it's such a big risk without me being treated . When I went for the test, the doctor rejected, her reasons was that the virus is a respiratory disease, and I haven't shown any of those signs. Back then, the hospitals were only testing people that recently returned back from overseas, health care workers and people that are in close contact with confirmed cases, of which I qualified for having been a close contact. But she insisted that I was feverish as a result of anxiety and curiosity, which is 90% true. Well, she decided to carry out the covid19 test on me, but before that she checked my fever of which came out 36 degrees, which is normal. The result of my fever further confirmed her fears, that it was on in my head. I insisted she goes ahead with covid19 test so I can sleep peacefully. I thought it's a blood test, never knew it's a swab kind of test. Oh well, she swabbed me (inserting a lookalike tiny stick) into my nose and throat via my mouth. That test was the most painful and uncomfortable medical test I have ever done. Inserting into my nose and throat respectively, till I gagged. After 10 hours, I got a call and a text me that I had tested negative, but should complete my 14 days self isolation which is due next day. From that moment, I didn't feel feverish anymore. How I didn't contract this virus is still a mystery to me. God's name be praised.

1 Like

Re: My Covid 19 Experience In Australia by ODJ124(m): 11:29pm On Jun 27, 2020
so Happy you survived the virus..... Glory to God....
Re: My Covid 19 Experience In Australia by 1Alex: 11:32pm On Jun 27, 2020
Lol at your story. The fact is that this virus is not as deadly as we are made to believe. Even typhoid fever is deadlier than Coronavirus, only that covid is contagious while the other is not.

Here in Naija, a lot of people have contracted the virus, some treated themselves, some went to the hospital and some doctors treated them without knowing they were handling Covid-19 cases.

3 Likes

Re: My Covid 19 Experience In Australia by flyingpig: 11:37pm On Jun 27, 2020
Majestic77:
I'm new to this forum and I believe this is the right section to post my covid19 experience.
Please pardon my typos and my punctuations as I struggle with proper punctuations, lol
It was on the 3rd of April when I finished from my afternoon/night shift. Around 11pm, it was just like every other day till I came out of my shift, ready to go home. Usually, we leave our phones in our cars for maximum Concentration (company's policy). When I regained access to my phone, I saw 7 missed calls, 5 of them from new south wales public health sector. For proper introduction, I live in Sydney Australia (new south wales). Normally, people or organizations calls you just once, when you don't pick up, they assume you're busy and send you text message or drop voice message for you to call back when you can. However, since 5 of their calls was not answered, they dropped me voice message telling me to call them back asap as it a matter of health issues. I immediately put a call across and a woman answered, it was a man that dropped me a voice message and said his name is Peter (not real name). So, when the women answered, I requested to speak with Peter. She asked me in regards to what? I said I don't know and it was reason I was calling back, cos he (Peter) left me a voice message urging me to call back as soon as I see his text. She said Peter
has closed for the day and she's has replaced him as she's on night shift. Remember I was calling back at around 11pm while Peter called around 4pm which was unanswered. She requested for my name, I told her. She pulled up my details instantly from her system (Oyibo and their organized life eh). She told me, she wouldn't know why Peter called me as he didn't leave any instructions. She however, told me to hold my phone close, that Peter will resume work the following day by 6am and would call me back. I started shivering somehow because I know public health don't just call if wasn't for serious issues. Anyways, 6:25am next day being Saturday 4th of April 2020. Peter called and gave me the worse news I could possibly hear. It goes thus, hey man, how are you going ( Australian slangs of "how are you doing". He said, mate, our record indicates that you have been exposed to a confirmed case of Corona virus patient while he was infectious. His name is Mr. Ben, he tested positive yesterday being Friday 3rd of April 2020 and you had close contact with him on 30th of March of which you spent 1hr in a confined space with him, now we will require you to go on a self isolation till 14th of April. Remember, i had close contact with this person on Monday 30th of March and I was given a call on Saturday 4th of April. It means I had already spent 5 days after exposure. So,5 days will be substracted from 14 mandatory self isolation leaving me to self isolate for 9 days, because self isolation starts from the day of exposure. so, I had already spent 5 days roaming streets of Sydney oblivion of what's to come. He told me not to go outside for any reason. He also told me to arrange someone to buy me groceries and drop them at my door step without coming close me. He insisted I stay indoors and monitor my health, if I develop any mild symptoms like fever, cough, sneezing etc, I should stay put. But if I develop chest pain or difficulty in breathing, I should call emergency services instantly. I started breathing heavily, which he noticed. He tried to cheer me up. He playfully told me that I have every chance of fending off this virus due to my young age. He doesn't need to ask me my age cos once you're in this country, you're info is uploaded into their data base, so as he was speaking with me, he had all the relevant information about me in front of him. Oh I nearly forgot to tell you guys how I was exposed to a positive carrier. I work as a carer, and on that faithful 30th of March, I drove Mr. Ben to see the doctor and brought him back home. Now, Let's get back to my story. After this terrible news from Peter, my whole world crashed, I thought about my mother, my siblings. How do I break this news to them, because I believed it was only a matter of time before I started showing symptoms. I decided not to tell them. But I confided in of my cousins here in Australia, albeit a different state. He's a nurse. He reassured me that I will beat this virus. I would always go on YouTube and see young people dying of this virus in US, UK and Italy, further giving myself Hbp. Every day, public health would call to monitor my health (country that truly cares about people's wellbeing). My mind started playing tricks on me, I started feeling feverish. But no cough nor breathing difficulties. I told public health of this vague sysmtoms( comes and goes). They said it might be my mind tricking me and also my body reacting to the news. I.e it hits me hard. Anyways, it was 12 days gone and no notable sysmtoms. On the 13th day, I was mandated to go for covid19 test because the vague sysmtoms i was having. Of course they can't just reintegrate me into the community as it's such a big risk without me being treated . When I went for the test, the doctor rejected, her reasons was that the virus is a respiratory disease, and I haven't shown any of those signs. Back then, the hospitals were only testing people that recently returned back from overseas, health care workers and people that are in close contact with confirmed cases, of which I qualified for having been a close contact. But she insisted that I was feverish as a result of anxiety and curiosity, which is 90% true. Well, she decided to carry out the covid19 test on me, but before that she checked my fever of which came out 36 degrees, which is normal. The result of my fever further confirmed her fears, that it was on in my head. I insisted she goes ahead with covid19 test so I can sleep peacefully. I thought it's a blood test, never knew it's a swab kind of test. Oh well, she swabbed me (inserting a lookalike tiny stick) into my nose and throat via my mouth. That test was the most painful and uncomfortable medical test I have ever done. Inserting into my nose and throat respectively, till I gagged. After 10 hours, I got a call and a text me that I had tested negative, but should complete my 14 days self isolation which is due next day. From that moment, I didn't feel feverish anymore. How I didn't contract this virus is still a mystery to me. God's name be praised.

I'm just amazed at Oyibo healthcare system and internal security database.

Especially at the part where the caller said he knew your age and other things about you as he was looking at your profile on their database.

In Nigeria, our internal defence ministry or immigration doesn't even have a complete database of all Nigerians not to mention immigrants.

EVERYTHING IS WRONG in nigeria.

I thank God for you bro.
Re: My Covid 19 Experience In Australia by flyingpig: 11:39pm On Jun 27, 2020
1Alex:
Lol at your story. The fact is that this virus is not as deadly as we are made to believe. Even typhoid fever is deadlier than Coronavirus, only that covid is contagious while the other is not.

Here in Naija, a lot of people have contracted the virus, some treated themselves, some went to the hospital and some doctors treated them without knowing they were handling Covid-19 cases.

Just this June, literally every one in my family experienced a sort of malaria symptoms. We waved it aside because its the rainy season and continued with our malaria medications.

A part of me tells me we just had the Nigerian COVID-19 and all recovered. sad

No obedience to COVID-19 guidelines around here at all but surprised to see people still bubbling around.

1 Like

Re: My Covid 19 Experience In Australia by lamideee(f): 11:41pm On Jun 27, 2020
So glad for you

1 Like

Re: My Covid 19 Experience In Australia by 1Alex: 11:44pm On Jun 27, 2020
flyingpig:

Just this June, literally every one in my family experienced a sort of malaria symptoms. We waved it aside because its the rainy season and continued with our malaria medications.

No obedience to COVID-19 guidelines around here at all but surprised to see people still bubbling around.
if you all lost your taste bud and smell, it is likely to be Covid.

In my opinion, lockdown no make sense at all because the virus na yeye virus. Not something we should lockdown for. Lockdown should be oyinbo people that common malaria kill anyhow.
Re: My Covid 19 Experience In Australia by Majestic77(m): 12:03am On Jun 28, 2020
1Alex:

Here in Australia, normalcy has returned. People have moved on from this virus, no one is taking it serious anymore. Although, the virus is almost eradicated here, but people don't seem to care about the so called second wave. If I knew what I know now back then (March & April), I would have use the self isolation time to enjoy myself at home and watch some Netflix movies I barely have time to watch. Back then, it was at its peak and the media over hype the virus.
Re: My Covid 19 Experience In Australia by Majestic77(m): 12:07am On Jun 28, 2020
flyingpig:

I'm just amazed at Oyibo healthcare system and internal security database.

Especially at the part where the caller said he knew your age and other things about you as he was looking at your profile on their database.

In Nigeria, our internal defence ministry or immigration doesn't even have a complete database of all Nigerians not to mention immigrants.

EVERYTHING IS WRONG in nigeria.

I thank God for you bro.
That's Australia for you. That's why it's almost impossible to stay in Australia without proper documentation or visa. Because your records and details is everywhere. Their security is very tight.

1 Like

Re: My Covid 19 Experience In Australia by longetivity(m): 12:14am On Jun 28, 2020
coronamustdie
Re: My Covid 19 Experience In Australia by SirWarlock: 12:48am On Jun 28, 2020
flyingpig:

Well before now Nigeria never bothered about Health and disease statistics so we'll never know. But you are implying only symptoms people will come down with will be fever and body pain, what about others? Will malaria drugs take care of those too sad
Re: My Covid 19 Experience In Australia by SirWarlock: 12:51am On Jun 28, 2020
Majestic77:

Here in Australia, normalcy has returned. People have moved on from this virus, no one is taking it serious anymore. Although, the virus is almost eradicated here, but people don't seem to care about the so called second wave. If I knew what I know now back then (March & April), I would have use the self isolation time to enjoy myself at home and watch some Netflix movies I barely have time to watch. Back then, it was at its peak and the media over hype the virus.
Please don't fuel Nigerians to also just forget about our own covid grin. Australia has gotten control of it while here it's a totally different story undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Covid 19 Experience In Australia by flyingpig: 1:30am On Jun 28, 2020
SirWarlock:
Well before now Nigeria never bothered about Health and disease statistics so we'll never know. But you are implying only symptoms people will come down with will be fever and body pain, what about others? Will malaria drugs take care of those too sad

Then dial the NCDC authorised phone numbers if your symptoms are more respiratory-like.

Although it will rarely get to that stage as this COVID-19 in Nigeria particularly is not as lethal.

1 Like

Re: My Covid 19 Experience In Australia by hammed71(m): 3:11am On Jul 06, 2020
Majestic77, sorry from digressing from the health topic, please how easy is it to get an unskilled work like farming or the likes, in Australia, is it possible for a company in Australia to sponsor for a work like that because I don't have the money for a school visa or the necessary skills for a point skill based visa.
Re: My Covid 19 Experience In Australia by Vicvalentine: 6:40am On Jul 06, 2020
SirWarlock:
Please don't fuel Nigerians to also just forget about our own covid grin. Australia has gotten control of it while here it's a totally different story undecided

Yeah , because we don’t know wether NCDC is telling us the truth or using the corona to control things and not be out of jobs , because definitely they’re getting paid.
Re: My Covid 19 Experience In Australia by Tumbulum: 8:48am On Jul 06, 2020
With the way Nigeria is going corona virus will be here till when the vaccine comes out. We keep hearing of new cases every 11pm and the numbers is not a reflection of reality. I believe the infection rate is far more than what we are made to believe.
Secondly Nigeria do not care anymore.No face mask,zero social distancing, religious houses are parked to full capacity and market are crowded. I believe the God of heaven is here in Africa.
Re: My Covid 19 Experience In Australia by XXLMANDIGO: 12:33pm On Jul 06, 2020
e
Re: My Covid 19 Experience In Australia by Majestic77(m): 12:07pm On Jul 11, 2020
hammed71:
Majestic77, sorry from digressing from the health topic, please how easy is it to get an unskilled work like farming or the likes, in Australia, is it possible for a company in Australia to sponsor for a work like that because I don't have the money for a school visa or the necessary skills for a point skill based visa.
If you can get a company that would sponsor you, then you are on your way. Secondly, regional Australia are looking for farmers for their Agriculture, check if you merit this and then check the website.Every information is pasted there

(1) (Reply)

Dr. Stella Immanuel: There Is A Cure For COVID / Gym Membership Fee? / What Is The Best Treatment For Arthritis

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.