Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,091 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:32 AM

What Is The Difference Between Soul And Spirit? - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is The Difference Between Soul And Spirit? (22580 Views)

The Difference Between Soul And Spirit, Or Is There One ? / Oro Worshippers & Truth And Spirit Prophetic Church Clash In Lagos, One Dead / Spirit, Soul and Body: Man's Tripartite Nature Explained with Robot Concept (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Difference Between Soul And Spirit? by falcon01: 12:30pm On Jun 28, 2020
Kay25:

how then are you living?even animals have a soul if they are not relevant I doubt if a dog is not worth more than you do
Blood, Brain Skeletons, Muscle, Tissues, Intestine, Kidney, liver, pancreas, Lungs, E.T.C
Re: What Is The Difference Between Soul And Spirit? by Jaokin: 12:33pm On Jun 28, 2020
Ubongdemaga:
What is the difference between soul and spirit?

Spirit is God's portion in man while soul is your personal identity. Your physical body houses the two. When the spirit leaves the body, the soul gets separated from the body. That's the physical death.
Re: What Is The Difference Between Soul And Spirit? by cray91(m): 12:43pm On Jun 28, 2020
say no more. they are more relevant than our body as they are the real determinant and controlling Factors to what we go through in life

the body we cherish by creaming everyday as most people bleach to get attraction and some goes to gym to build is the most irrelevant cuz after all its small Ants and other micro organisms that will still consume am

Only If Human knew and see beyond the physical
falcon01:
They're both equally irrelevant
Re: What Is The Difference Between Soul And Spirit? by coputa(m): 12:51pm On Jun 28, 2020
Spirit lives in a soul inside a body.The soul is made from the dust(earth).it's the spirit that brings the soul alive,while alive,it must locate a body to function,Soul is physical while spirit is not seen,(supernatural.)If a spirit leaves a body,it dies.A spirit that has no body to habits,roams around.We have good and wicked spirit.
Re: What Is The Difference Between Soul And Spirit? by Freeeanijor: 12:53pm On Jun 28, 2020
falcon01:
I would say we're like an astronaut putting on a space jacket in space, gaining the experience in a different form and environment.
We are spirit being trying to gain human experience. We grow up to accept the Space jacket (body) that was given to us whether we like it or not. We didn't choose it but we got it. If you don't like it then that's your problem. At least, that's one thing you don't have authority over, it's a gift, so use it.
The experience you wish to have with the space jacket (body) is up to you. It's something you can choose, that's what you can create. Just like in the space, nobody is perfect but lots of people have used the space jacket (body) to gain and enjoy sweet experiences in this environment.
We are spirit being in a soul, what experiences are we creating to depart with?
Re: What Is The Difference Between Soul And Spirit? by shadeyinka(m): 12:55pm On Jun 28, 2020
Ubongdemaga:
Very simple. A human being is a Trinity of Body, Soul and Spirit (each one of these is your IDENTITY). Your identity is how you are identified.

1. Your BODY is your physical identity. This is how everyone in the physical realm (your parent, your friend and even including your dog identify you). Your body can be recrafted either surgically or by accident and people will not recognise you again. Without physical light, your body is invisible.

2. Your SPIRIT is your spiritual identity. This is how everyone in the spiritual realm (God, Angels and even demons identify you). Just like Angels have a spiritual form and can be distinguishable from another angel, so also your spirit make you distinguishable from other spirits.

3. Your SOUL is your personal/internal identity. This is how YOU identify yourself as you. Even if you woke up after 2 years in coma and you discovered that you have been surgically physically converted to look exactly like Buhari, you won't mis-identify yourself as Buhari (no matter how perfect the surgery is). This is your internal/personal identity.Your soul is what you refer to as "ME", "I", "Myself" etc. Your soul has these functions:
the seat of your emotion,
the seat of your intellect and
the seat of choice/VOLITION

Animals are Dualities and have a Soul and Body
Angels, demons are Dualities and have a Soul and Spirit
Human beings are Trinities and they have a Body, Soul and Spirit.

When a man physically dies, his body is disconnected from the union of his Soul and Spirit. His Soul and Spirit this fully represent him before resurrection.

I hope this makes a little sense to you

Cc:
coputa
Jacoik
backbone503
LilBlaze24o
Mcslow
Dangrace01:

StUriah thesolutions Proffdada
backbone503 Raydans babag93 delpee

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between Soul And Spirit? by thinkmoney(m): 1:01pm On Jun 28, 2020
Ubongdemaga:
The idea of soul is basically gotten from the bible. There are other climes, cultures and religions that have different versions now though. But if we must stick to what the Bible says, we will see that soul is a world Bible used sometimes denote the whole being be it human or animal-yes animals were referred to as a soul.
So, sticking to the bible, soul means the person and not some abstract thing in the person. This is what the Bible has said about soul. When somebody dies, it says the soul have died.
But spirit is what activates the body/soul. It's like an electricity current that powers the radio. The radio as a whole can be compared to the soul. When the electric current(spirit) is taken off, the radio(body/soul) dies.
*You hear phrase like this in the bible, 'there were eight souls(people)'.
Re: What Is The Difference Between Soul And Spirit? by Adetayo1978(m): 1:03pm On Jun 28, 2020
falcon01:
I tell you.
Re: What Is The Difference Between Soul And Spirit? by McSlow: 1:03pm On Jun 28, 2020
Dangrace01:
Good

I saw a dead rat inside my water it was at the bottom of d bucket I wanted to throw it away but one mind said I should leave it and watch

Guess what it rose up not up I mean it rose up the bucket like a human that died in d river. What if this rat has a soul and spirit like a human.

To answer your question using this ride below the soul is like the engine while fuel is the spirit that's why it's called premium motor spirit. Baba what are you saying sef just sell your ride
Thumbs up my G ������
Re: What Is The Difference Between Soul And Spirit? by Nobody: 1:04pm On Jun 28, 2020
Using an electric light bulb

Spirit=electricity
Body=light bulb
Soul=light
Re: What Is The Difference Between Soul And Spirit? by owila4luv(m): 1:05pm On Jun 28, 2020
I Need More Details Of The Ride And Price
Dangrace01:
Good

I saw a dead rat inside my water it was at the bottom of d bucket I wanted to throw it away but one mind said I should leave it and watch

Guess what it rose up not up I mean it rose up the bucket like a human that died in d river. What if this rat has a soul and spirit like a human.

To answer your question using this ride below the soul is like the engine while fuel is the spirit that's why it's called premium motor spirit. Baba what are you saying sef just sell your ride
Re: What Is The Difference Between Soul And Spirit? by Kollyman: 1:08pm On Jun 28, 2020
Ubongdemaga:

Let me explain this using your phone as an instance:

Your phone is made up of the physical hardware, softwares and energy that powers the phone.

Your body is like the physical appearance of your gadget ( the shape, size, colour etc)

Your Soul is like the Operating System (OS) on your gadget that aid it to function and accommodate every other softwares. "Other softwares" installed on your OS can be compared to your though, characters, believes, perceptions, attitudes, godliness, sin, evils, knowledge, wisdom etc). You will agree with me that the moment the OS get corrupt or stop functioning properly, though the gadget might still be powering but it is termed useless because it cannot fulfil it purpose of creation. That is the similar things that happens to mad people you see around. Your Soul is the real you in the spiritual world. That's why every spiritual attack is targeted towards a man's soul. Because people do not understand the difference, they use the word spirit in place of soul. That's why the bible said " the soul that sinneth, shall die" Ezekiel 18:20. The Soul shall face the judgement!

Your Spirit can be likened to the energy that helps to power the gadget. Yes you might have something called the battery (heart), but the main thing that keeps that gadget alive is the energy that is derived from the battery which you cannot see with your mere eyes. The spirit is just to keep you alive so that your soul can function through the body. That's why everyone's spirit goes back to the owner (GOD) whether it is of the sinners or of the righteous. Gen.2:7, Ecc 12:7.
Re: What Is The Difference Between Soul And Spirit? by Holuwatoobii(m): 1:09pm On Jun 28, 2020
Ubongdemaga:
it's the same thing
Re: What Is The Difference Between Soul And Spirit? by suk22: 1:12pm On Jun 28, 2020
Ubongdemaga:

Man is a spirit, he has a soul (mind) and he lives in a body.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between Soul And Spirit? by SaintAY(m): 1:12pm On Jun 28, 2020
In the beginning God created man in His own Image(Spirit) GEN 1:26 since God is a Spirit John 4:24, so the man created in His image was also a Spirit like God.... This is the creation of the the Spirit

And God formed man from the dust of the earth GEN 2:27... This is the creation of the body

and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul... This is the creation of the soul

So Man is first a Spirit who lives in a body and have a soul...

There is more to this
God bless us all
Re: What Is The Difference Between Soul And Spirit? by ladilawal82(m): 1:24pm On Jun 28, 2020
backbone503:
...Using GSM analogy:
your physical body is the Phone,
Soul is the SIM card, and
Spirit is the Network.

Splendid!
Re: What Is The Difference Between Soul And Spirit? by emmnprince(m): 1:28pm On Jun 28, 2020
The word "soul" translated from the Greek language is "psuche." Where the English word "psyche" is derived from. The psyche is the thinking part of man, consisting of intellect, emotions and will. Proverbs 23:7.

From deep within our souls we choose to live for the outer man (the flesh [body] and the things of this world) or the inner man (the spirit and the eternal things of God). That basic choice will one day determine where we will spend eternity.

The spirit is the eternal spark of God's nature (that is formed within man) which imparts life to the outer body and the inner soul.

The soul (our psychological makeup) is the fountain of all our thoughts, making us self-conscious. The spirit gives us the ability to be God-conscious.

P.S. The soul and the spirit are sometimes use interchangeably in the Bible. When it isn't used the above explanation suffice.
Re: What Is The Difference Between Soul And Spirit? by AmaraBea: 1:29pm On Jun 28, 2020
soul is an entity like a person!
Re: What Is The Difference Between Soul And Spirit? by fortran12: 1:32pm On Jun 28, 2020
soul is yr mind, spirit the driving force, body, the suit that houses the force
Re: What Is The Difference Between Soul And Spirit? by Chenko001(m): 1:34pm On Jun 28, 2020
farem:

The soul and the spirit are the two primary immaterial parts that Scripture ascribes to humanity. It can be confusing to attempt to discern the precise differences between the two. The word spirit refers only to the immaterial facet of humanity. Human beings have a spirit, but we are not spirits. However, in Scripture, only believers are said to be spiritually alive (1 Corinthians 2:11; Hebrews 4:12; James 2:26), while unbelievers are spiritually dead (Ephesians 2:1–5; Colossians 2:13). In Paul’s writing, the spiritual is pivotal to the life of the believer (1 Corinthians 2:14; 3:1; Ephesians 1:3; 5:19; Colossians 1:9; 3:16). The spirit is the element in humanity that gives us the ability to have an intimate relationship with God. Whenever the word spirit is used, it refers to the immaterial part of humanity that “connects” with God, who Himself is spirit (John 4:24).

The word soul can refer to both the immaterial and material aspects of humanity. Unlike human beings having a spirit, human beings are souls. In its most basic sense, the word soul means “life”; however, beyond this essential meaning, the Bible speaks of the soul in many contexts. One of these is in relation to humanity’s eagerness to sin (Luke 12:26). Human beings have a sinful nature, and our souls are tainted with sin. The soul, as the life essence of the body, is removed at the time of physical death (Genesis 35:18; Jeremiah 15:2). The soul, as with the spirit, is the center of many spiritual and emotional experiences (Job 30:25; Psalm 43:5; Jeremiah 13:17). The word soul can refer to the whole person, whether alive on earth or in the afterlife.

The soul and the spirit are connected, but separable (Hebrews 4:12). The soul is the essence of humanity’s being; it is who we are. The spirit is the immaterial part of humanity that connects with God.
-Gotquestion

Apostle, pray for me

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between Soul And Spirit? by alexola20(m): 1:40pm On Jun 28, 2020
Re: What Is The Difference Between Soul And Spirit? by Kay25(m): 1:48pm On Jun 28, 2020
falcon01:
Blood, Brain Skeletons, Muscle, Tissues, Intestine, Kidney, liver, pancreas, Lungs, E.T.C
you are more than those things you talk of..what makes you talk?you think it's just your blood running down to your mouth via ur brain contollling it?nah
Re: What Is The Difference Between Soul And Spirit? by Julius209(m): 1:49pm On Jun 28, 2020
Man is a spirit.He has a soul and he lives in a body .with his spirit he contacts spiritual realm, with his soul he contacts intellectual and emotional realm and with his body he contacts physical realms
Re: What Is The Difference Between Soul And Spirit? by Aghaclem67: 1:54pm On Jun 28, 2020
Soul turns to spirit when it leaves the mortal body. In other words soul lives in human while spirit lives outside human.
Re: What Is The Difference Between Soul And Spirit? by Nobody: 2:01pm On Jun 28, 2020
The Spirit Man is who you TRULY are. The Soul is now the Consciousness. Your Soul houses your
*Psyche/Mind
*Will
*Conscience
Re: What Is The Difference Between Soul And Spirit? by Nobody: 2:15pm On Jun 28, 2020
DukeNija:

The soul returns to God, it’s the sprit that goes to Heaven or Hell.

What!!!
Did you just Say the Spirit goes to hell

Lol! This can't sound more Stupid
Re: What Is The Difference Between Soul And Spirit? by dinodesmond(m): 2:21pm On Jun 28, 2020
backbone503:
You are Soul, a spark of God. You are merely putting on that physical body, just to survive while here. God didn't create your physical body, He created you, as Soul. And thats why its said that you're created in the image and likeness of God. Just like God, Soul is eternal.

Spirit is the essence of God that sustains ALL life forms. Spirit is God in expression. (i.e. God "stepped down" to a form that we can relate with). Soul exist solely because God loves It.

Using GSM analogy:
your physical body is the Phone,
Soul is the SIM card, and
Spirit is the Network.

You illustration is fine

Another explanation is this, the soul needs an identity and cover and that's why it is clothed in the body. After it is clothed, it now needs power to run the mechanism the body will need to survive and this is where the spirit comes in just like electricity in any electrical gadget.

Take away the power(electricity), all electrical gadgets will remain lifeless. When GOD finished moulding man, the soul was lifeless so He gave him His spirit by breathing into him and the soul in his body became active. When a man dies, the soul is forcefully unclothed from the body after the spirit must have found its way back to the source(God). The soul becomes weak and invisible while the body rots away.

You are the soul and this soul must need two things: body and spirit.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between Soul And Spirit? by DukeNija(m): 2:25pm On Jun 28, 2020
CalvinGaye:

What!!!
Did you just Say the Spirit goes to hell

Lol! This can't sound more Stupid

The spirit is the real man. Soul is basically human consciousness, mind and emotions. I’m he spirit is you, manifested in a physical body.
Re: What Is The Difference Between Soul And Spirit? by Nobody: 2:31pm On Jun 28, 2020
DukeNija:

The spirit is the real man. Soul is basically human consciousness, mind and emotions. I’m he spirit is you, manifested in a physical body.

Yes I agree with you that the Spirit is the TRUE us. But The spirit is given to us as a Life source which should direct our soul(which you said is the CONSCIOUSNESS) and thereby give Life to our Flesh man(body).

The soul is what will be judged by God which might end in heaven or in hell(based on degree of Holiness and Righteousness).

The Spirit goes back to The Creator who gave it.

The Spirit cannot sin and at that has nothing to do with going to hell.
Re: What Is The Difference Between Soul And Spirit? by vioment: 2:37pm On Jun 28, 2020
Read the book of Enoch.
Re: What Is The Difference Between Soul And Spirit? by Nobody: 2:40pm On Jun 28, 2020
vioment:
Read the book of Enoch.

Which part of it Sir?
Re: What Is The Difference Between Soul And Spirit? by Kobojunkie: 2:44pm On Jun 28, 2020
Ubongdemaga:
Your soul is your consciousness, your ego. But your spirit is an extension of God's spirit inside of you.

It is my belief that once you become born again, your spirit is synched back up to it's parent, the Spirit of God who then takes over the work of Guiding, leading, teaching and helping you.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

If Korede Cant Sing Godwin In Church, Should He Pay Tithe From Godwin To Church? / Truly, The Forbidden Fruit Is Sex! / Bishop Oyedepo And Bishop Wale Oke Back In The Days (PIC)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.