Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,108 members, 7,825,504 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 04:23 PM

What To Look Out For In A Lap Top - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / What To Look Out For In A Lap Top (1131 Views)

How A Snake Destroyed My Lap Top / Suggestions For Lap Top With A Budget Of #60-65k / Putting A Laptop On Your Lap Linked To Male Infertility And Skin Discoloration (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What To Look Out For In A Lap Top by joygirl1(f): 7:06pm On Jun 13, 2007
i need to buy a lap top dell precisely but i don't know what to look out for. help me please
Re: What To Look Out For In A Lap Top by karlken(m): 1:30pm On Jun 14, 2007
Are u computer literate n to wat extent/wat do u nd d laptop 4?Do u wish to do many things on line?Do u wish to play music only or compose or even burn wink CDs?U can do many things wt ur system so wat to look out 4 depends on wat u want to do wt ur laptop. wink
Re: What To Look Out For In A Lap Top by Maleeq(m): 6:22pm On Jun 14, 2007
Like karl ken said, what to look out for depends on what you want out of a laptop.

There are some people out there who got out and buy laptops just to have all the "bells and whistle" and at xtreme prices too(eg. Sony) when the most intensive task they perform is just regular internet browsing. Others go for the ergonomics in the design(Dells, Sony are good for this). Power users(programmers, extreme gamers) goes for the hardware specifications.

While people all differ, there's one common factor in all their decisions as to what laptop they finally bring home with them: CASH AT HAND!
Re: What To Look Out For In A Lap Top by otoidea(m): 9:31am On Jun 15, 2007
u want a dell laptop? where are u located? call me 08066118072, 08027455791
Re: What To Look Out For In A Lap Top by joygirl1(f): 7:00pm On Jun 15, 2007
i just want a good lap top to be able to browse, download and do the day to day administrative works.
Re: What To Look Out For In A Lap Top by Maleeq(m): 10:23pm On Jun 16, 2007
Administrative tasks? You mean like basically Office suites? Except you want a laptop for the looks, most laptops(midrange) would do you just fine.
What's your budget like? Let us know, then we could give you a list of best buys.
Re: What To Look Out For In A Lap Top by magosla200(m): 11:48pm On Jun 16, 2007
When choosing a laptop, you put the following into consideration;
Battery Life with atleast 4 hours as in some Sony Viao laptops, Memory not less than 1000 Mb so as to be able to work with any version Windows Vista (Basic, Business Edition, Premium & Ultimate) and Softwares that require large memory to function. DVD-RW as most most software are above the capacity of the traditional CD-ROM 700MB. OS like Vista, Software like Office 2007, Adobe Illustrator CS3 and some others come in DVD's so if you have a laptop without a DVD drive you will not be able to install softwares that ships in DVD. AMD and Intel processors with atleast 1.6 GHz or AMD/Intel Dual processors, Large capacity hard disk storage like 60 Gigg or higher. Wireless lan comes with almost all recent laptops, Bluetooth and webcam optional with some laptops.
Re: What To Look Out For In A Lap Top by Nobody: 9:36am On Jun 19, 2007
1gb ram(you may like cool desktop themes)

100gb hard drive( you may find yourself stockpiling music files)

multimedia card reader, ( a must if you have a digital camera)

bluetooth

1.6ghz processor minimum (if you suddenly become a game or 3d software freak, this might not cut it)

truebrite/xblack/any angle screen (for movie watchers)

dvd drive.(for playing movies, also try and get dvd region free(software), so you can play dvds from all over the world)

you must be sure that your needs won't change in the future.
Re: What To Look Out For In A Lap Top by muyiwabank(m): 7:06pm On Jun 19, 2007
somebody just offered me a fujitsu laptop, please i know nothing about the hardware and the composition.
i just need it for my personal use as a student.

pls find below the description and advice.

AMILO Li 1705
Intel Celeron M430 1.73GHz
1024MB DDR2 SDRAM Memory
80 GB Hard Disk Drive
15.4" WXGA (1280x800) CrystalView
DVD±RW Dual Layer
Integrated IEEE 802.11 b/g
Built in 56k V.92 Fax Modem
Ports - 3 x USB (2.0), 1 x CRT, 1 x modem, 1 x LAN, 1 x Headphone out, 1 x microphone in, 1 x power supply
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic Edition

Thanks
Re: What To Look Out For In A Lap Top by SHOT(m): 2:27pm On Jun 20, 2007
personally,i wont recommend certain laptop products through years of sales n system repairs experience.
except u are strictly considering price, a celeron processor laptop is not adviced.
if u need a laptop, u can contact me on 08057745105. i will give u a better deal on a better product n warranty services
Re: What To Look Out For In A Lap Top by joygirl1(f): 10:43am On Jun 21, 2007
i say a big thank you to everybody, now i have an idea of what to look out for in terms of the memory capacity,battery and other features. i appreciate all the contributions[color=#990000][/color]
Re: What To Look Out For In A Lap Top by Ralvy(m): 3:28pm On Jul 16, 2007
somebody just offered me a fujitsu laptop, please i know nothing about the hardware and the composition.
i just need it for my personal use as a student.

please find below the description and advice.

AMILO Li 1705
Intel Celeron M430 1.73GHz
1024MB DDR2 SDRAM Memory
80 GB Hard Disk Drive
15.4" WXGA (1280x800) CrystalView
DVD±RW Dual Layer
Integrated IEEE 802.11 b/g
Built in 56k V.92 Fax Modem
Ports - 3 x USB (2.0), 1 x CRT, 1 x modem, 1 x LAN, 1 x Headphone out, 1 x microphone in, 1 x power supply
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic Edition

Thanks

Muyiwa, that is a very good Notebook and since it is just for personal use and nothing spectacular, I'll recommend it 4 u.

Nerve

(1) (Reply)

Whats Wrong With My Google Page? / Remote Keylogger / Nigeria Share Business In The Stock Exchange Market

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.