Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,035 members, 7,810,840 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:43 PM

Helio G90T Vs Snapdragon 720G - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Helio G90T Vs Snapdragon 720G (3940 Views)

Snapdragon 720G (redmi Note 9s/9pro) Vs Mediatek Helio P95 (oppo A93) / Infinix Zero 8 With Mediatek Helio G90T Soc, 8GB RAM Passes Through Geekbench. / Redmi Note 8 And Note 8 Pro Launched, 64MP Camera, Helio G90T, 18W Charging (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Helio G90T Vs Snapdragon 720G by atheistandproud(m): 8:10am On Jun 30, 2020
This topic is one that has caused a lot of debate. Not just here on Nairaland but on Facebook as well and on other platforms. I remember quite vividly in 2019, when Xiaomi (trailblazers and risk takers) offered to use the Helio G90T and promised great things from this chipset.

A lot of us tech people were skeptical. Like the Israelites, we asked "can anything good come out of Nazareth?" Well yes, actually. Something good did come out of Mediatek. Xiaomi pulled out all the stops to support Mediatek, even going as far as to obtain the source codes and publishing it to developers, adding a cooling system to the phone as well as other measures. Had it failed, both Xiaomi and Mediatek would be staring down a huge loss of revenue and investment. It turns out that it didn't. Instead, it was a huge success and has gone a long way to rebuilding confidence in the Mediatek brand name.

The 720G on the other hand is Qualcomm's answer to the G90T question. And a very good answer it has turned out to be.

Today most people are divided between G90T and SD720G. Whilst some persons have already made their decisions as to which is better, this post is for those who haven't and want to learn which is best for them. Let's take a good look at both chipsets based on the following parameters:

1. Microarchitecture
2. GPU
3. Process
4. RAM size and speed
5. Display resolution
6. Connectivity
7. Benchmarks
8. ISP (camera)

Let's kick off...

Microarchitecture

The Helio G90T is an Octa-core processor with two high-performance Cortex-A76 cores clocked at 2.05 GHz and six power-efficient Cortex-A55 cores clocked at 2.0 GHz.
Snapdragon 720G also has two high-performance Cortex-A76 cores clocked at 2.3 GHz but Qualcomm chose to underclock it's power-efficient Cortex-A55 cores by clocking them @ 1.6 GHz.

High performance cores are for CPU (and GPU intensive tasks) e.g photography and games. They are designed to burn through your battery. Power efficiency cores are for simple everyday tasks. They're designed to conserve battery.

What this means is that, when you are performing everyday tasks, since they both use the same A55, the G90T will be much faster as it has a better clockspeed of 2.0GHz compared to the 1.6GHz of the 720G. On the other hand, when performing CPU intensive tasks, the SD720G will pull ahead of the G90T because they both use the same A76 CPU design and the 720G has a better clockspeed of 2.3GHz as compared to the 2.05 of the G90T.

One thing to note is that the reduced speed of the A55 cores of the 720G means less battery consumption when using your phone for basic stuff as compared to the G90T but the trade off is that the G90T would be faster in a speed test comparison of every day apps.

To understand how Cortex cores are ranked (click here) https://www.nairaland.com/5820850/understanding-arm-cortex-used-building

For raw processing power, I'll give it to the 720G and it saves battery too.

GPU or Graphics Processing Unit
The G90T has the Mali-G76 3EEMC4 GPU which is clocked at 800MHz. The SD720G has the Adreno 618 which is clocked at 500MHz. This is no contest. The G90T destroys the 720G here. In gaming, the G90T will render images and graphics 13.78% faster making games more enjoyable. The Adreno 618 is no joke, it is also super fast at rendering graphics too but e and the Mali-G76 3EEMC4 no be mate at all.

The G90T takes this one.

build process
The build process is the size of the chip on which the SoC is built. A smaller SoC produces better battery consumption, less heating and (arguably) a better CPU performance.
The Helio G90T is built on an older 12nm process while the Snapdragon 720G is built of a much better 8nm process. This makes the 720G much more efficient than then G90T by a big margin as a 4nm is too big a difference in terms of the manufacturing process.

The 720G takes this one.

RAM
RAM or random access memory is a temporary store house of data for your CPU to work with. While the size of the RAM is important, what most people don't know is that the speed of the RAM is what they should look for. A slow 10GB RAM block will bog down your CPUs leading to poor performance. The RAM speed determines how fast your CPU can write data to it as well as read it to extract data while it is working.

Your CPU can also read and write to your memory card. A slow memory card will slow your phone. This is why iPhones do not use memory card. Trust Nigerians, they'll buy a cheap memory card that is slow and then they'll blame Apple.

The SD720G has a Max Memory of 8GB and Frequency (or speed) of 1866 MHz (1.8GHz). The G90T has a max Memory of 10GB and a speed of 2133MHz (2.1GHz). The both have LPDDR4x, EMMC 5.1 and UFS 2.1. Both do not support ECC memory.

Both RAMs are madly fast but the G90T takes it.

Display
Resolution can be defined as the sharpness and clarity (how clear) of an image.

The G90T supports full Full High Definition (FHD+) or 1080p while the 720G supports Quad High Definition (QHD) or 1440P.

This round goes to the 720G.

Connectivity
The G90T comes with WiFi 5 while the 720G carries WiFi 6. Obviously the WiFi 6 is better.

The G90T comes with Bluetooth 5.0 while the 720G comes with Bluetooth 5.1. Again 720G wins.

As for the modems (for internet): The Snapdragon 720G’s X15 LTE modem provides a download speed of 800 MBps and an upload speed of 150 Mbps. In contrast, the G90T’s modem provides a download speed of 600 Mbps and an upload speed of 150 Mbps. The 720G again.

ISP
The image signal processor is like the occipital lobe in our human brain. Your eyes can see but if your brain doesn't interpret then the eyes are useless. This is why when alcohol fogs your brain, the eyes start to see double. There's nothing wrong with the eyes but the brain don Maya. It's the same here.

The ISP coordinates all the sensors, collects images from each one and combines to produce the final result. Each SoC has a certain limit it can go.

The G90T comes with the 3x which supports Up to 24 + 16 MP dual cameras and Up to 64 MP single camera. the Snapdragon 720G comes with the Spectra 350L ISP which has support for a single camera with capabilities of shooting at 192MP (maaaaaaaaaad) and dual 22+22 set up.

For video, both record 4K ultra HD at 30FPS.

The 720 takes this one.

Benchmarks

Take note that Benchmarks are mostly concerned with CPU performance. The G90T has better benchmark scores because it has a far far better GPU and a faster RAM and even so, the score is not that far as the 720G superior CPUs will give it a run for its money.

If Gaming is your thing, the G90T wins!!!

In other aspects like display, battery consumption, heating, connectivity, camera and video. The 720G is better.

If you are looking for an all-rounder with arguably better support. Then the 720G is your go to guy.

Thank you all and Good morning

This was written at the request of Marvog and Ozemestats

31 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Helio G90T Vs Snapdragon 720G by Karex81(m): 8:23am On Jun 30, 2020
Nicely written
As for me, I'll pick snapdragon over mtk, any day or time. I appreciate mtk effort tho. But for me i use a phone for 3yrs, this is where mtk fails, they don't have developers support(Custom rom, tweaking etc) for longevity . Until they fix this issue, snapdragon will always be ahead of mtk.

9 Likes

Re: Helio G90T Vs Snapdragon 720G by PrettyBunny(f): 8:24am On Jun 30, 2020
Boss, I heard that games have not been optimized for the 720G.

Does this mean that one can only play low games like Word Cookies, etc.?

And if you run games like COD, Pubg, etc, it could make the phone lag?
Re: Helio G90T Vs Snapdragon 720G by atheistandproud(m): 8:26am On Jun 30, 2020
PrettyBunny:
Boss, I heard that games have not been optimized for the 720G.

Does this mean that one can only play low games like Word Cookies, etc.?

And if you run games like COD, Pubg, etc, it could make the phone lag?

Those games will work fine. It's just the you may encounter 1 or 2 bugs or be unable to play at very high settings.
Re: Helio G90T Vs Snapdragon 720G by Nobody: 8:30am On Jun 30, 2020
nice write up

2 Likes

Re: Helio G90T Vs Snapdragon 720G by atheistandproud(m): 8:31am On Jun 30, 2020
Karex81:
Nicely written
As for me, I'll pick snapdragon over mtk, any day or time. I appreciate mtk effort tho. But for me i use a phone for 3yrs, this is where mtk fails, they don't have developers support(Custom rom, tweaking etc) for longevity . Until they fix this issue, snapdragon will always be ahead of mtk.

As much as I like the G90T, I am a photographer buff as well. I love photography as much as I love gaming.

I also need to be future proof too. It's the 720G sha. My personal opinion.

2 Likes

Re: Helio G90T Vs Snapdragon 720G by atheistandproud(m): 8:31am On Jun 30, 2020
elvischukie:
nice write up

You're too kind boss

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Helio G90T Vs Snapdragon 720G by PrettyBunny(f): 8:32am On Jun 30, 2020
atheistandproud:

Those games will work fine. It's just the you may encounter 1 or 2 bugs or be unable to play at very high settings.

Oh..okay..Thanks

1 Like

Re: Helio G90T Vs Snapdragon 720G by Marvog(m): 8:45am On Jun 30, 2020
atheistandproud:

You're too kind boss
Thanks so much. If only "" phone markerters could see this""
This article is truly a blessing. More knowledge boss.

3 Likes

Re: Helio G90T Vs Snapdragon 720G by atheistandproud(m): 8:47am On Jun 30, 2020
Marvog:

Thanks so much. If only "" phone markerters could see this""
This article is truly a blessing. More knowledge boss.

It's not new. They always jump and pass my articles

You're welcome.
Re: Helio G90T Vs Snapdragon 720G by Marvog(m): 8:53am On Jun 30, 2020
atheistandproud:

It's not new. They always jump and pass my articles

You're welcome.
Last year i was so blind and bent on getting *we know what* device
i was even shocked at how Itel S15 pro antutumark was 90k+. I,was even more shocked when I checked D overpriced infinix S5 nd saw Helio P22. SD 430 would win(my thoughts tho)

8 Likes

Re: Helio G90T Vs Snapdragon 720G by DONFRANSKID(m): 8:55am On Jun 30, 2020
Nice one boss

1 Like

Re: Helio G90T Vs Snapdragon 720G by edoairways: 9:08am On Jun 30, 2020
atheistandproud well done

2 Likes

Re: Helio G90T Vs Snapdragon 720G by atheistandproud(m): 9:13am On Jun 30, 2020
edoairways:
atheistandproud well done

Thank you
Re: Helio G90T Vs Snapdragon 720G by Deasegun19(m): 9:15am On Jun 30, 2020
Educating. Thank you for your efforts.

1 Like

Re: Helio G90T Vs Snapdragon 720G by atheistandproud(m): 9:20am On Jun 30, 2020
Deasegun19:
Educating.
Thank you for your efforts.

You're welcome boss.
Re: Helio G90T Vs Snapdragon 720G by Osasnidas(m): 9:31am On Jun 30, 2020
Another banger..... Nice one boss

1 Like

Re: Helio G90T Vs Snapdragon 720G by Actman05: 9:45am On Jun 30, 2020
Hello @atheistandproud please can you explain how xiaomi was able to implement a quad camera set up on the redmi note 8 pro while helio g90t supports a dual setup.
Re: Helio G90T Vs Snapdragon 720G by taiwosamwell(m): 10:08am On Jun 30, 2020
Actman05:
Hello @atheistandproud please can you explain how xiaomi was able to implement a quad camera set up on the redmi note 8 pro while helio g90t supports a dual setup.
Sorry, that's not how it works
First, it has a wide camera, an ultrawide camera, a macro camera then a depth camera.
So the wide camera and the depth camera are the real dual camera there that work together.
The ultrawide camera works on its own so it's used when taking ultrawide shots, so at that point only the ultrawide camera works.
The macro camera is for needed for macro shots possibly of up to 2cm close to the camera, at times like that, only the macro camera works.
Then the wide and depth work together to take bokeh shots.
Ciao

7 Likes

Re: Helio G90T Vs Snapdragon 720G by ozemestats(m): 10:12am On Jun 30, 2020
atheistandproud:
This topic is one that has caused a lot of debate. Not just here on Nairaland but on Facebook as well and on other platforms. I remember quite vividly in 2019, when Xiaomi (trailblazers and risk takers) offered to use the Helio G90T and promised great things from this chipset.

A lot of us tech people were skeptical. Like the Israelites, we asked "can anything good come out of Nazareth?" Well yes, actually. Something good did come out of Mediatek. Xiaomi pulled out all the stops to support Mediatek, even going as far as to obtain the source codes and publishing it to developers, adding a cooling system to the phone as well as other measures. Had it failed, both Xiaomi and Mediatek would be staring down a huge loss of revenue and investment. It turns out that it didn't. Instead, it was a huge success and has gone a long way to rebuilding confidence in the Mediatek brand name.

The 720G on the other hand is Qualcomm's answer to the G90T question. And a very good answer it has turned out to be.

Today most people are divided between G90T and SD720G. Whilst some persons have already made their decisions as to which is better, this post is for those who haven't and want to learn which is best for them. Let's take a good look at both chipsets based on the following parameters:

1. Microarchitecture
2. GPU
3. Process
4. RAM size and speed
5. Display resolution
6. Connectivity
7. Benchmarks
8. ISP (camera)

Let's kick off...

Microarchitecture

The Helio G90T is an Octa-core processor with two high-performance Cortex-A76 cores clocked at 2.05 GHz and six power-efficient Cortex-A55 cores clocked at 2.0 GHz.
Snapdragon 720G also has two high-performance Cortex-A76 cores clocked at 2.3 GHz but Qualcomm chose to underclock it's power-efficient Cortex-A55 cores by clocking them @ 1.6 GHz.

High performance cores are for CPU (and GPU intensive tasks) e.g photography and games. They are designed to burn through your battery. Power efficiency cores are for simple everyday tasks. They're designed to conserve battery.

What this means is that, when you are performing everyday tasks, since they both use the same A55, the G90T will be much faster as it has a better clockspeed of 2.0GHz compared to the 1.6GHz of the 720G. On the other hand, when performing CPU intensive tasks, the SD720G will pull ahead of the G90T because they both use the same A76 CPU design and the 720G has a better clockspeed of 2.3GHz as compared to the 2.05 of the G90T.

One thing to note is that the reduced speed of the A55 cores of the 720G means less battery consumption when using your phone for basic stuff as compared to the G90T but the trade off is that the G90T would be faster in a speed test comparison of every day apps.

To understand how Cortex cores are ranked (click here) https://www.nairaland.com/5820850/understanding-arm-cortex-used-building

The G90T has the Mali-G76 3EEMC4 GPU which is clocked at 800MHz. The SD720G has the Adreno 618 which is clocked at 500MHz. This is no contest. The G90T destroys the 720G here. In gaming, the G90T will render images and graphics 13.78% faster making games more enjoyable. The Adreno 618 is no joke, it is also super fast at rendering graphics too but e and the Mali-G76 3EEMC4 no be mate at all.

The G90T takes this one.

build process
The build process is the size of the chip on which the SoC is built. A smaller SoC produces better battery consumption, less heating and (arguably) a better CPU performance.
The Helio G90T is built on an older 12nm process while the Snapdragon 720G is built of a much better 8nm process. This makes the 720G much more efficient than then G90T by a big margin as a 4nm is too big a difference in terms of the manufacturing process.

The 720G takes this one.

RAM
RAM or random access memory is a temporary store house of data for your CPU to work with. While the size of the RAM is important, what most people don't know is that the speed of the RAM is what they should look for. A slow 10GB RAM block will bog down your CPUs leading to poor performance. The RAM speed determines how fast your CPU can write data to it as well as read it to extract data while it is working.

Your CPU can also read and write to your memory card. A slow memory card will slow your phone. This is why iPhones do not use memory card. Trust Nigerians, they'll buy a cheap memory card that is slow and then they'll blame Apple.

The SD720G has a Max Memory of 8GB and Frequency (or speed) of 1866 MHz (1.8GHz). The G90T has a max Memory of 10GB and a speed of 2133MHz (2.1GHz). The both have LPDDR4x, EMMC 5.1 and UFS 2.1. Both do not support ECC memory.

Display

The G90T supports full Full High Definition (FHD+) or 1080p while the 720G supports Quad High Definition (QHD) or 1440P.

Connectivity
The G90T comes with WiFi 5 while the 720G carries WiFi 6. Obviously the WiFi 6 is better.

The G90T comes with Bluetooth 5.0 while the 720G comes with Bluetooth 5.1. Again 720G wins.

As for the modems (for internet): The Snapdragon 720G’s X15 LTE modem provides a download speed of 800 MBps and an upload speed of 150 Mbps. In contrast, the G90T’s modem provides a download speed of 600 Mbps and an upload speed of 150 Mbps. The 720G again.

ISP
The image signal processor is like the occipital lobe in our human brain. Your eyes can see but if your brain doesn't interpret then the eyes are useless. This is why when alcohol fogs your brain, the eyes start to see double. There's nothing wrong with the eyes but the brain don Maya. It's the same here.

The ISP coordinates all the sensors, collects images from each one and combines to produce the final result. Each SoC has a certain limit it can go.

The G90T comes with the 3x which supports Up to 24 + 16 MP dual cameras and Up to 64 MP single camera. the Snapdragon 720G comes with the Spectra 350L ISP which has support for a single camera with capabilities of shooting at 192MP (maaaaaaaaaad) and dual 22+22 set up.

The 720 takes this one.

Benchmarks

Take note that Benchmarks are mostly concerned with CPU performance. The G90T has better benchmark scores because it has a far far better GPU and a faster RAM and even so, the score is not that far as the 720G superior CPUs will give it a run for its money.

In other aspects like display, battery consumption, heating, connectivity, camera and video. The 720G is better.

If you are looking for an all-rounder with arguably better support. Then the 720G is your go to guy.

Wow! If there's any grade like it, I'll give you an S+ for the write up. Bravo!

1 Like

Re: Helio G90T Vs Snapdragon 720G by pyrex23(m): 10:26am On Jun 30, 2020
Mediatek really tried but 720g all the way..

2 Likes

Re: Helio G90T Vs Snapdragon 720G by Nobody: 11:36am On Jun 30, 2020
atheistandproud:

1. Microarchitecture
2. GPU
3. Process
4. RAM size and speed
5. Display resolution
6. Connectivity
7. Benchmarks
8. ISP (camera)

Let's kick off...

Microarchitecture

The G90T takes this one.

build process

The 720G takes this one.

RAM

Display

Connectivity

ISP

The 720 takes this one.

Benchmarks

Bro,please what site do you learn and read all this from?
Re: Helio G90T Vs Snapdragon 720G by Actman05: 12:42pm On Jun 30, 2020
Thanks @taiwosamwell, it seems dual setup means it can only support two cameras at once.
Re: Helio G90T Vs Snapdragon 720G by atheistandproud(m): 1:01pm On Jun 30, 2020
Heartlessbanker:
Bro,please what site do you learn and read all this from?

I used Wikipedia, Tech centurion, Gizmochina, Mediatek and Qualcomm's official websites, Wikichip, Kimovil and some others I can't remember.

I check all of the data and make sure that they match.

Then I write out the important data I need on a table.

After that, I just sit on the keyboard and let my hands talk. Writing comes naturally to me. Speaking also.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Helio G90T Vs Snapdragon 720G by Nobody: 1:03pm On Jun 30, 2020
atheistandproud:

I used Wikipedia, Tech centurion, Gizmochina, Mediatek and Qualcomm's official websites, Wikichip, Kimovil and some others I can't remember.

After that, I just sit on the keyboard and let my hands talk. Writing comes naturally to me. Speaking also.
Thank you bros.

1 Like

Re: Helio G90T Vs Snapdragon 720G by atheistandproud(m): 1:04pm On Jun 30, 2020
pyrex23:
Mediatek really tried but 720g all the way..

With the G90T, they really went all the way.

I was even considering it at some point.
Re: Helio G90T Vs Snapdragon 720G by atheistandproud(m): 1:16pm On Jun 30, 2020
Actman05:
Thanks @taiwosamwell, it seems dual setup means it can only support two cameras at once.

I agree with Taiwosamwell
Re: Helio G90T Vs Snapdragon 720G by photon3106: 1:38pm On Jun 30, 2020
atheistandproud:

You've done a nice job. That's educative.

If only Mediatek would start releasing their source codes for new releases as well as for notable existing ones, they'd really gain better acceptance by the AOSP comminuty which would in turn boost their market share.

5 Likes

Re: Helio G90T Vs Snapdragon 720G by atheistandproud(m): 1:49pm On Jun 30, 2020
photon3106:

You've done a nice job. That's educative.

If only Mediatek would start releasing their source codes for new releases as well as for notable existing ones, they'd really gain better acceptance by the AOSP comminuty which would in turn boost their market share.

Yes. It would pull developers over to their side.

Even if it's not all the devs. They should just sign non-disclosure agreements with some very good Devs.

I'm wondering how much Xiaomi had to bribe them with before they could obtain their source codes and kernels lol.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Helio G90T Vs Snapdragon 720G by taiwosamwell(m): 2:10pm On Jun 30, 2020
Actman05:
You're welcome
Re: Helio G90T Vs Snapdragon 720G by offset67(m): 2:16pm On Jun 30, 2020
atheistandproud:

1. Microarchitecture
2. GPU
3. Process
4. RAM size and speed
5. Display resolution
6. Connectivity
7. Benchmarks
8. ISP (camera)

Let's kick off...

Microarchitecture

The G90T takes this one.

build process

The 720G takes this one.

RAM

Display

Connectivity

ISP

The 720 takes this one.

Benchmarks

atheistandproud:

1. Microarchitecture
2. GPU
3. Process
4. RAM size and speed
5. Display resolution
6. Connectivity
7. Benchmarks
8. ISP (camera)

Let's kick off...

Microarchitecture

The G90T takes this one.

build process

The 720G takes this one.

RAM

Display

Connectivity

ISP

The 720 takes this one.

Benchmarks

Re: Helio G90T Vs Snapdragon 720G by offset67(m): 2:17pm On Jun 30, 2020

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

New Mtn, Zain, Glo, Settings For Opera 4.2, 5.0 / Exploring Nokia E5 / Is Glo Nigeria Spying On Us?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 115
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.