Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,527 members, 7,823,290 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 08:09 AM

Helio G90T Vs Snapdragon 720G - Phones (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Helio G90T Vs Snapdragon 720G (3990 Views)

Snapdragon 720G (redmi Note 9s/9pro) Vs Mediatek Helio P95 (oppo A93) / Infinix Zero 8 With Mediatek Helio G90T Soc, 8GB RAM Passes Through Geekbench. / Redmi Note 8 And Note 8 Pro Launched, 64MP Camera, Helio G90T, 18W Charging (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Helio G90T Vs Snapdragon 720G by BenDanor(m): 7:27am On Jul 01, 2020
atheistandproud:

It's almost ready.
That's great
Re: Helio G90T Vs Snapdragon 720G by atheistandproud(m): 8:39am On Jul 01, 2020
@Festwiz

I think 720MHz and 820MHz are for Sd730 and 730g

The SD720G GPU is underclocked

The last screenshot is from your post.

Look closely at the 720G base speed

Re: Helio G90T Vs Snapdragon 720G by festwiz(m): 8:49am On Jul 01, 2020
atheistandproud:
@Festwiz

I think 720MHz and 820MHz are for Sd730 and 730g

The SD720G GPU is underclocked

The last screenshot is from your post.

Look closely at the 720G base speed

There was a YouTube video comparing the 2. I can't seem to find it. The difference between the 2 (730G and 720G) is actually a slight under lock about 25Mhz... I'll look for it and update it.

1 Like

Re: Helio G90T Vs Snapdragon 720G by atheistandproud(m): 8:50am On Jul 01, 2020
festwiz:

There was a YouTube video comparing the 2. I can't seem to find it. The difference between the 2 (730G and 720G) is actually a slight under lock about 25Mhz... I'll look for it and update it.

Please do.
Re: Helio G90T Vs Snapdragon 720G by festwiz(m): 9:11am On Jul 01, 2020
atheistandproud:

Please do.

Found the video. It's actually by Beebom and all he said was the Adreno 618 in the 730G is overclocked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwQavLHjiKI

From 4:40 secs mark.

I guess the 720G has the base 720MHz as the 730 whilst the 730G has the 820MHz clock speed. The 3D mark scores even show the 720G outperforming the 730G. I don't think the Overclock between them might be drastic

https://beebom.com/snapdragon-720g-vs-snapdragon-730g/

720G left v 730G right

1 Like

Re: Helio G90T Vs Snapdragon 720G by atheistandproud(m): 9:16am On Jul 01, 2020
festwiz:

Found the video. It's actually by Beebom and all he said was the Adreno 618 in the 730G is overclocked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwQavLHjiKI

From 4:40 secs mark.

I guess the 720G has the base 720MHz as the 730 whilst the 730G has the 820MHz clock speed. The 3D mark scores even show the 720G outperforming the 730G. I don't think the Overclock between them might be drastic

https://beebom.com/snapdragon-720g-vs-snapdragon-730g/

720G left v 730G right

These people are trying to confuse their generation sha. grin grin grin grin
Re: Helio G90T Vs Snapdragon 720G by festwiz(m): 9:18am On Jul 01, 2020
atheistandproud:

These people are trying to confuse their generation sha. grin grin grin grin
I tire. grin
Re: Helio G90T Vs Snapdragon 720G by atheistandproud(m): 9:19am On Jul 01, 2020
festwiz:

I tire. grin
It could be anything between 500mhz and 700mhz sha.

I'll update the post to reflect. Thank you.
Re: Helio G90T Vs Snapdragon 720G by MrBONE2(m): 10:23am On Jul 01, 2020
[quote author=offset67 post=91233167][/quote] cheesy
Re: Helio G90T Vs Snapdragon 720G by nothingmore123: 12:43pm On Jul 01, 2020
atheistandproud:

1. What does the fact that Nigeria doesn't produce chipsets have to do with this post?

Even in almighty Europe, they don't produce chipsets there. All chipsets are manufactured in China.

2. You are contradicting yourself by lambasting Nigeria and Nigerians only to say that the US doesn't produce chips because they're all made in China.

3. Americans don't use Mediatek phones. It's either iPhone, Huawei or Samsung. They consider it shit as well. Is that right? No. Is it their opinion? Yes. Do they have a right to hold that opinion? Of course.

4. FFS, do you realise that even the scientists at arm don't even physically built chips anymore? The whole damn process is automated with little human input. Computer generated.

5. No where in my comparison did I even mention 5G or NFC.

Oga if you have a grouse, make your own topic and write your opinion there.

So far you have made zero sense as regard the above topic. Thank you and have a nice day

Being intelligent is good but being intelligent and proud can pose a challenge. Don't delve into a territory that you have no practical experience.

True my post wasn't just addressing your yours but went beyond the scope of what you wrote. It wasn't directed to you personally, but I thought you would be intelligent enough to understand the underlying message. Since you know so much about chipsets, I do like to learn from you and so my point 5 below. A brief summary of my message was:

1. When comparisons of any kind, we should compare locally....applicable to many you-tubers and bloggers.

2. We should reduce comparisons and get working. A friend was about starting a small project but he called it off at the interviewing stage. Don't ask me why?

3. Yes, speaking from consumers standpoint, the consumer is right and can ignorantly condemn what s/he knows nothing about. I've came across hundreds of Engineers in the semiconductor Industry and no single one of them would even condemn a competing product.

3. I try to look for reasons and solutions technically. Maybe my grouse is because I has a brief stint indirectly with mediatek

4. Don't say things you don't know about America please and specifically with regards to chipsets. Just so you know many American companies are partners and order mediatek chipsets, unfortunately I will not say more than that.

5. I like discussions about chipsets and prefer live discussions, I'll like to learn from you and so would give you the honour of selecting any modern chipset for a live stream discussion and all discussions would be limited to that chipset. I will only ask you 4 questions and you can use the entire www as your reference. When you pick a date I'll give out 2 questions as an expo.

Thank you sir.
Re: Helio G90T Vs Snapdragon 720G by atheistandproud(m): 4:35pm On Jul 01, 2020
nothingmore123:

Being intelligent is good but being intelligent and proud can pose a challenge. Don't delve into a territory that you have no practical experience.

True my post wasn't just addressing your yours but went beyond the scope of what you wrote. It wasn't directed to you personally, but I thought you would be intelligent enough to understand the underlying message. Since you know so much about chipsets, I do like to learn from you and so my point 5 below. A brief summary of my message was:

1. When comparisons of any kind, we should compare locally....applicable to many you-tubers and bloggers.

2. We should reduce comparisons and get working. A friend was about starting a small project but he called it off at the interviewing stage. Don't ask me why?

3. Yes, speaking from consumers standpoint, the consumer is right and can ignorantly condemn what s/he knows nothing about. I've came across hundreds of Engineers in the semiconductor Industry and no single one of them would even condemn a competing product.

3. I try to look for reasons and solutions technically. Maybe my grouse is because I has a brief stint indirectly with mediatek

4. Don't say things you don't know about America please and specifically with regards to chipsets. Just so you know many American companies are partners and order mediatek chipsets, unfortunately I will not say more than that.

5. I like discussions about chipsets and prefer live discussions, I'll like to learn from you and so would give you the honour of selecting any modern chipset for a live stream discussion and all discussions would be limited to that chipset. I will only ask you 4 questions and you can use the entire www as your reference. When you pick a date I'll give out 2 questions as an expo.

Thank you sir.

1. Compare locally with what?

2. Get working on what? I'm sorry your highness, but what semi-conductor foundary do you own? Do you have an architecture or core license from ARM?

How many semi-conductors have Kimovil, GSM Arena, Tech centurion, MKBHD, Zach or even Fisayo or Aunty Techy has produced?

3. There are two number 3s. In the market, the consumer is king. It's his money. Manufacturers and OEM can only put out products and hope they're bought by the same consumers you're maligning.

Your grouse good sir has zero to do with this post or my person.

4. I am talking about the average American consumer and you're talking about companies. Google is at your fingertips. Check who owns the largest market shares of Smartphones in the US.

5. I do not owe you any second of time. If you want to learn, there's Google and YouTube.

To avoid a back and forth, this is my last reply to you. Good day.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Helio G90T Vs Snapdragon 720G by nothingmore123: 7:18pm On Jul 01, 2020
atheistandproud:

1. Compare locally with what?

2. Get working on what? I'm sorry your highness, but what semi-conductor foundary do you own? Do you have an architecture or core license from ARM?

How many semi-conductors have Kimovil, GSM Arena, Tech centurion, MKBHD, Zach or even Fisayo or Aunty Techy has produced?

3. There are two number 3s. In the market, the consumer is king. It's his money. Manufacturers and OEM can only put out products and hope they're bought by the same consumers you're maligning.

Your grouse good sir has zero to do with this post or my person.

4. I am talking about the average American consumer and you're talking about companies. Google is at your fingertips. Check who owns the largest market shares of Smartphones in the US.

5. I do not owe you any second of time. If you want to learn, there's Google and YouTube.

To avoid a back and forth, this is my last reply to you. Good day.

Oga be patient with yourself. I don't like typing much but prefers live conversations. I'm sorry to disappoint you, you know nothing about semiconductors. It's not about knowing all the chipset companies in the world, their release dates and basic features

More ridiculous is the fact that you're pointing to youtube and google so you think the questions I was to ask you is what you can find online or even on youtube.I was to bring out designs and test your most basic knowledge of circuit analysis and electronics. Simple questions but only requires practical experience.

I had a brief stint with Altera, later bought by Intel and the few months I spent there made me realize that I knew nothing about chipsets.

That consumers say whatever they like doesn't validate their viewpoints from a technical point of view. They're only ignorant and the marketing team of product companies will continue to capitalize on that.

My present job is far related from the semiconductor industry but I still subscribe to few journals just to refresh the head.

FYI, I don't own any company, I only said a friend wanted to start a design company but couldn't get competent hands for the job. Teaching them was not an issue but when someone cannot tell an LED polarity, then where do you want him to start from, is it Q-factor or parasitic calculations?

My challenge is still open though but this time, I will pose the questions on this forum at your convenient time tomorrow. You earn $50 USD for each each correct answer to 3 questions.
Re: Helio G90T Vs Snapdragon 720G by korban3134(m): 8:22pm On Jul 01, 2020
atheistandproud:
This topic is one that has caused a lot of debate. Not just here on Nairaland but on Facebook as well and on other platforms. I remember quite vividly in 2019, when Xiaomi (trailblazers and risk takers) offered to use the Helio G90T and promised great things from this chipset.

A lot of us tech people were skeptical. Like the Israelites, we asked "can anything good come out of Nazareth?" Well yes, actually. Something good did come out of Mediatek. Xiaomi pulled out all the stops to support Mediatek, even going as far as to obtain the source codes and publishing it to developers, adding a cooling system to the phone as well as other measures. Had it failed, both Xiaomi and Mediatek would be staring down a huge loss of revenue and investment. It turns out that it didn't. Instead, it was a huge success and has gone a long way to rebuilding confidence in the Mediatek brand name.

The 720G on the other hand is Qualcomm's answer to the G90T question. And a very good answer it has turned out to be.

Today most people are divided between G90T and SD720G. Whilst some persons have already made their decisions as to which is better, this post is for those who haven't and want to learn which is best for them. Let's take a good look at both chipsets based on the following parameters:

1. Microarchitecture
2. GPU
3. Process
4. RAM size and speed
5. Display resolution
6. Connectivity
7. Benchmarks
8. ISP (camera)

Let's kick off...

Microarchitecture

The Helio G90T is an Octa-core processor with two high-performance Cortex-A76 cores clocked at 2.05 GHz and six power-efficient Cortex-A55 cores clocked at 2.0 GHz.
Snapdragon 720G also has two high-performance Cortex-A76 cores clocked at 2.3 GHz but Qualcomm chose to underclock it's power-efficient Cortex-A55 cores by clocking them @ 1.6 GHz.

High performance cores are for CPU (and GPU intensive tasks) e.g photography and games. They are designed to burn through your battery. Power efficiency cores are for simple everyday tasks. They're designed to conserve battery.

What this means is that, when you are performing everyday tasks, since they both use the same A55, the G90T will be much faster as it has a better clockspeed of 2.0GHz compared to the 1.6GHz of the 720G. On the other hand, when performing CPU intensive tasks, the SD720G will pull ahead of the G90T because they both use the same A76 CPU design and the 720G has a better clockspeed of 2.3GHz as compared to the 2.05 of the G90T.

One thing to note is that the reduced speed of the A55 cores of the 720G means less battery consumption when using your phone for basic stuff as compared to the G90T but the trade off is that the G90T would be faster in a speed test comparison of every day apps.

To understand how Cortex cores are ranked (click here) https://www.nairaland.com/5820850/understanding-arm-cortex-used-building

For raw processing power, I'll give it to the 720G and it saves battery too.

GPU or Graphics Processing Unit
The G90T has the Mali-G76 3EEMC4 GPU which is clocked at 800MHz. The SD720G has the Adreno 618 which is clocked at 500MHz. This is no contest. The G90T destroys the 720G here. In gaming, the G90T will render images and graphics 13.78% faster making games more enjoyable. The Adreno 618 is no joke, it is also super fast at rendering graphics too but e and the Mali-G76 3EEMC4 no be mate at all.

The G90T takes this one.

build process
The build process is the size of the chip on which the SoC is built. A smaller SoC produces better battery consumption, less heating and (arguably) a better CPU performance.
The Helio G90T is built on an older 12nm process while the Snapdragon 720G is built of a much better 8nm process. This makes the 720G much more efficient than then G90T by a big margin as a 4nm is too big a difference in terms of the manufacturing process.

The 720G takes this one.

RAM
RAM or random access memory is a temporary store house of data for your CPU to work with. While the size of the RAM is important, what most people don't know is that the speed of the RAM is what they should look for. A slow 10GB RAM block will bog down your CPUs leading to poor performance. The RAM speed determines how fast your CPU can write data to it as well as read it to extract data while it is working.

Your CPU can also read and write to your memory card. A slow memory card will slow your phone. This is why iPhones do not use memory card. Trust Nigerians, they'll buy a cheap memory card that is slow and then they'll blame Apple.

The SD720G has a Max Memory of 8GB and Frequency (or speed) of 1866 MHz (1.8GHz). The G90T has a max Memory of 10GB and a speed of 2133MHz (2.1GHz). The both have LPDDR4x, EMMC 5.1 and UFS 2.1. Both do not support ECC memory.

Both RAMs are madly fast but the G90T takes it.

Display
Resolution can be defined as the sharpness and clarity (how clear) of an image.

The G90T supports full Full High Definition (FHD+) or 1080p while the 720G supports Quad High Definition (QHD) or 1440P.

This round goes to the 720G.

Connectivity
The G90T comes with WiFi 5 while the 720G carries WiFi 6. Obviously the WiFi 6 is better.

The G90T comes with Bluetooth 5.0 while the 720G comes with Bluetooth 5.1. Again 720G wins.

As for the modems (for internet): The Snapdragon 720G’s X15 LTE modem provides a download speed of 800 MBps and an upload speed of 150 Mbps. In contrast, the G90T’s modem provides a download speed of 600 Mbps and an upload speed of 150 Mbps. The 720G again.

ISP
The image signal processor is like the occipital lobe in our human brain. Your eyes can see but if your brain doesn't interpret then the eyes are useless. This is why when alcohol fogs your brain, the eyes start to see double. There's nothing wrong with the eyes but the brain don Maya. It's the same here.

The ISP coordinates all the sensors, collects images from each one and combines to produce the final result. Each SoC has a certain limit it can go.

The G90T comes with the 3x which supports Up to 24 + 16 MP dual cameras and Up to 64 MP single camera. the Snapdragon 720G comes with the Spectra 350L ISP which has support for a single camera with capabilities of shooting at 192MP (maaaaaaaaaad) and dual 22+22 set up.

For video, both record 4K ultra HD at 30FPS.

The 720 takes this one.

Benchmarks

Take note that Benchmarks are mostly concerned with CPU performance. The G90T has better benchmark scores because it has a far far better GPU and a faster RAM and even so, the score is not that far as the 720G superior CPUs will give it a run for its money.

If Gaming is your thing, the G90T wins!!!

In other aspects like display, battery consumption, heating, connectivity, camera and video. The 720G is better.

If you are looking for an all-rounder with arguably better support. Then the 720G is your go to guy.

Thank you all and Good morning

This was written at the request of Marvog and Ozemestats

You are awesome....nice one..again

1 Like

Re: Helio G90T Vs Snapdragon 720G by atheistandproud(m): 8:24pm On Jul 01, 2020
korban3134:

You are awesome....nice one..again

Respect bro.

Abeg Festwiz called my attention that the clock speed of the Adreno 618 on the 720g may be incorrect but he couldn't find the link to substantiate. So just check around for the Adreno 618 clock speed used for the 720G. Thank you.
Re: Helio G90T Vs Snapdragon 720G by korban3134(m): 10:22pm On Jul 01, 2020
nothingmore123:

Thank you sir.

Bro please create your own post ....no need for all this....its his thread, his opinion, his research....come up with your own thread & content lets also read get enlightenment if possible...

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Helio G90T Vs Snapdragon 720G by korban3134(m): 10:27pm On Jul 01, 2020
atheistandproud:

Respect bro.

Abeg Festwiz called my attention that the clock speed of the Adreno 618 on the 720g may be incorrect but he couldn't find the link to substantiate. So just check around for the Adreno 618 clock speed used for the 720G. Thank you.

Noted....also no mind all these critics that will not come up with their own original quality write-ups/threads but only specialise in critisizing other people's efforts.
Re: Helio G90T Vs Snapdragon 720G by ozemestats(m): 12:39am On Jul 02, 2020
korban3134:

Bro please create your own post ....no need for all this....its his thread, his opinion, his research....come up with your own thread & content lets also read get enlightenment if possible...
Abi?

1 Like

Re: Helio G90T Vs Snapdragon 720G by atheistandproud(m): 12:54am On Jul 02, 2020
korban3134:

Noted....also no mind all these critics that will not come up with their own original quality write-ups/threads but only specialise in critisizing other people's efforts.

I sincerely appreciate boss. Thank you.
Re: Helio G90T Vs Snapdragon 720G by festwiz(m): 1:20am On Jul 02, 2020
nothingmore123:

No offense but you IQ is in the negative.

2 Likes

Re: Helio G90T Vs Snapdragon 720G by atheistandproud(m): 2:23pm On Aug 06, 2020
@FahBulous

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Mtn 5g Launched In Nigeria: Spoiler Alert:– It Is Super Fast!!! �� / Anyone Using Itel Inote Prime? / How To Unsend Sent Message On Whatsapp And Bring Back The Old Status

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.