Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,482 members, 7,816,140 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:22 AM

Multichoice Mulls Dropping EPL, UEFA Broadcast Rights - Sports (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Multichoice Mulls Dropping EPL, UEFA Broadcast Rights (49756 Views)

Why Multichoice Lost Out In Race For AFCON Broadcast Rights / Startimes Wins Laliga Broadcast Rights For 2020/2021 Season / Startimes Wins Laliga Broadcast Rights (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Multichoice Mulls Dropping EPL, UEFA Broadcast Rights by Nobody: 1:49pm On Jul 01, 2020
sexylassie2:

Not true, south Africa is where all the money is made not Nigeria.

18.9 million subscribers in the whole Africa.

8.9 million sub's in south Africa.

10.7 million in other African countries

In Nigeria there are about 6,237,000 sub
That is 33% of revenue .

This info is for last year.

You're right on SA being their largest market, but at the same time your numbers say NGR is a third of their total business. Dependency in most economic settings is 20%. A third is heavily material and crucial to any kind of operation. I bet their margins are higher in Naija, regardless of what this article says.

How much do they spend on their ppl or focus on delivering better service... In SA there would be some kind of organized framework for them to operate within. In Naija, they r quite notorious for cutting corners. That being said tho, they leave and another int'l operator will enter, or maybe even a capitalized local. Nigerians just want better service (cost and quality) eh.

4 Likes

Re: Multichoice Mulls Dropping EPL, UEFA Broadcast Rights by BlueBanana: 1:49pm On Jul 01, 2020
martineverest:
Amazon and Netflix should grab this opportunity and end DStv monopoly
It will also be difficult for them as a result of the high cost of data.
Re: Multichoice Mulls Dropping EPL, UEFA Broadcast Rights by Nobody: 1:50pm On Jul 01, 2020
sexylassie2:

Not true, south Africa is where all the money is made not Nigeria.

18.9 million subscribers in the whole Africa.

8.9 million sub's in south Africa.

10.7 million in other African countries

In Nigeria there are about 6,237,000 sub
That is 33% of revenue .

This info is for last year.
What I mean is that they charge Nigerians higher than other African countries.

Modify;Ok,thanks for the enlightenment.
Re: Multichoice Mulls Dropping EPL, UEFA Broadcast Rights by Pappyjulie196(m): 1:50pm On Jul 01, 2020
They never know their fate yet in Nigeria, Even FG want Nigerians to be paying for subscription per view.

3 Likes

Re: Multichoice Mulls Dropping EPL, UEFA Broadcast Rights by cjwalter(m): 1:50pm On Jul 01, 2020
Economic realities are subjective.

When your salary comes in time, you eat chicken. As the salary reduces you eat products of Chicken (Eggs) and subsequently you begin to eat chicken's food, (maize and millet), and finally, when salary is finished, you become chicken itself, spending your time walking around just looking for what to eat"!

Everyone is on a different level.

Wow...i like this your comment

2 Likes

Re: Multichoice Mulls Dropping EPL, UEFA Broadcast Rights by shiwex: 1:50pm On Jul 01, 2020
Paying all these huge amount of money to South African company. What exactly do Nigeria/Nigerians gain from the deal, its just a loose loose situation. We need to invest this money in developing our own sport so others can pay us Rights like other countries, in Europe and Latin America.

6 Likes

Re: Multichoice Mulls Dropping EPL, UEFA Broadcast Rights by Nobody: 1:52pm On Jul 01, 2020
martineverest:
many Nigerians are subbing to Netflix..and it's cheaper than DSTV..with a sub can be used by 5 people...

The last time I subbed on Netflix is when I got one of those MTN Awuf data sim. grin
Re: Multichoice Mulls Dropping EPL, UEFA Broadcast Rights by BuddhaPalm(m): 1:52pm On Jul 01, 2020
Nbote:
If dem born dem well make dem try am and see if Nigerians wont dump their thieving asses.. Those football rights are d major reason most Nigerians renew their subscriptions

Do you want then to run at a loss?
Re: Multichoice Mulls Dropping EPL, UEFA Broadcast Rights by BlueBanana: 1:53pm On Jul 01, 2020
KingAzubuike:

When I checked the source and saw that it was a Nigerian news outlet , I stopped reading.
This mentality is nauseating and should stop immediately. It's not everything that's made in Nigeria or said by Nigerians is fake or untrue. Jeez

8 Likes

Re: Multichoice Mulls Dropping EPL, UEFA Broadcast Rights by stagger: 1:54pm On Jul 01, 2020
A Nigerian company should simply move in for the kill.
Re: Multichoice Mulls Dropping EPL, UEFA Broadcast Rights by OlujobaSamuel: 1:54pm On Jul 01, 2020
Because of pressure on them to adopt Pay as you go system, they now brought up this nonsense to justify increase in subscription.
Awọn thief

2 Likes

Re: Multichoice Mulls Dropping EPL, UEFA Broadcast Rights by Emmandus(m): 1:54pm On Jul 01, 2020
� *⁣FREE COPYWRITING AND FIVERR CLASS* �

If you are ever going to sell online, Copywriting is a vital skill essential to your success learn it for FREE Now.

Fiverr is the largest marketplace for Freelancers today and Freelancing is a sure way to make money online today with Zero Capital.

I am holding a FREE Copywriting and Fiverr Class on WhatsApp this Thursday by 8pm to teach business owners, writers, thought leaders, graphics designers, and anyone to sell and make more money without lifting a finger send me a WhatsApp message by clicking the link in my signature to join the Fiverr and Copywriting Free Training

Emmanuel Ayeni
Re: Multichoice Mulls Dropping EPL, UEFA Broadcast Rights by BlueBanana: 1:56pm On Jul 01, 2020
sexylassie2:

How many Nigerians can afford it?
Abi oo With the rising cost of data

1 Like

Re: Multichoice Mulls Dropping EPL, UEFA Broadcast Rights by Pondeck: 1:56pm On Jul 01, 2020
I never sub since March ���
Re: Multichoice Mulls Dropping EPL, UEFA Broadcast Rights by bakynes(m): 1:56pm On Jul 01, 2020
martineverest:
u think boys won't sub on Netflix if the stream EPL exclusively?..Netflix paid Genevieve 30 million dollars for her movie
Guy sofree dey lie small small. Which movie netflix pay Genevieve 30 million dollars for?When some movies in American made by American Producers, if it flops doenst even gross at that figure. Alot of American A-list actors dont even earn that much.

4 Likes

Re: Multichoice Mulls Dropping EPL, UEFA Broadcast Rights by sunkieisland(m): 1:57pm On Jul 01, 2020
ME that was planning to reconnect and review my DSTv Subscription before.

Na to just bone levels and get an Android TV box then.

C'est finir
Re: Multichoice Mulls Dropping EPL, UEFA Broadcast Rights by SocialJustice: 1:57pm On Jul 01, 2020
blowjohn:

When your salary comes in time, you eat chicken. As the salary reduces you eat products of Chicken (Eggs) and subsequently you begin to eat chicken's food, (maize and millet), and finally, when salary is finished, you become chicken itself, spending your time walking around just looking for what to eat"!

grin grin grin I don't watch the super sport channels but have to pay for them because the channels I want are in that bouquet.

I'm not a worker, salary sucks except Chevron blue badge salary.

4 Likes

Re: Multichoice Mulls Dropping EPL, UEFA Broadcast Rights by 12345baba(m): 1:58pm On Jul 01, 2020
May God pursue them for us since our govt no wan pursue them

1 Like

Re: Multichoice Mulls Dropping EPL, UEFA Broadcast Rights by BlueBanana: 1:58pm On Jul 01, 2020
stagger:
A Nigerian company should simply move in for the kill.
That's one of the issues we face in this country. Ordinarily Nigerians should have taken over this broadcasting business but every rich person wants to go into oil and gas business leaving other industries in the country to foreigners to run.

9 Likes

Re: Multichoice Mulls Dropping EPL, UEFA Broadcast Rights by SlyCharlie(m): 2:00pm On Jul 01, 2020
cucumbae:
Funny talk from people sef.
DStv Nigeria subscribtion price is the cheapest in Africa.
Many of us have had this argument b4.
DStv price in Nigeria is the cheapest or second cheapest compared to other countries DStv operate in.
And No, DStv doesn't operate Pay as you go in any country as alluded to by many uninformed peop

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Multichoice Mulls Dropping EPL, UEFA Broadcast Rights by edoairways: 2:01pm On Jul 01, 2020
kendrick9:
All Na format to increase subscriptions..
Well done multichoice
Yeah

2 Likes

Re: Multichoice Mulls Dropping EPL, UEFA Broadcast Rights by einsteine(m): 2:03pm On Jul 01, 2020
chariisGRACE:

That alone will fasten their exit.
If not football, wetin we wan send multichoice?

Startimes and Strong do broadcast Telemundo for the Ladies.

So you think. How come dey survive in the years that HiTV had the rights?
Re: Multichoice Mulls Dropping EPL, UEFA Broadcast Rights by Chartey(m): 2:06pm On Jul 01, 2020
cucumbae:
Dstv subscription in Nigeria is the cheapest on the continent despite our harsh business environment.
If they drop football, they'll still retain many subscribers because they have some of the best content both locally and globally.
Finally, people have to realise that cable TV is not an essential utility like electricity and water. All over the world, cable TV is expensive and for only people who can afford. That's why there's public TV like BBC and NTA in our case.

6 Likes

Re: Multichoice Mulls Dropping EPL, UEFA Broadcast Rights by einsteine(m): 2:06pm On Jul 01, 2020
martineverest:
u think boys won't sub on Netflix if the stream EPL exclusively?..Netflix paid Genevieve 30 million dollars for her movie

Lies.

Netflix pays independent producers Max of 2x the film budget for exclusive distribution rights
Re: Multichoice Mulls Dropping EPL, UEFA Broadcast Rights by bigpicture001: 2:08pm On Jul 01, 2020
They are the once fueling the rising cost of subscription with their exclusivity.... There is additional cost to exclusivity.........

Make dem de monopolize and cost will fall. Other contents may still make them the preferred choice...

I choose them over that Chinese idiotic "startimes"
Re: Multichoice Mulls Dropping EPL, UEFA Broadcast Rights by einsteine(m): 2:08pm On Jul 01, 2020
cucumbae:

Nigerians pay the lowest subscription cost on the continent.
Re: Multichoice Mulls Dropping EPL, UEFA Broadcast Rights by einsteine(m): 2:10pm On Jul 01, 2020
Naijaarchive:
Lol the rate they will lose customers enh.... E go shock them or they think people are actually thrilled with those yeye Nollywood Movies/BBNaija they show

Actually, people are. That's why they survived even when HITV had the EPL rights. You would be surprised at how many people watch ROK, African Magic and BBN

3 Likes

Re: Multichoice Mulls Dropping EPL, UEFA Broadcast Rights by sexylassie2(f): 2:15pm On Jul 01, 2020
cucumbae:

No we are the cheapest

Dstv Compact prices monthly in Nigeria, Ghana, Kenya and south africa

Nigeria - N6975 ($15.5)
Ghana-140GHS($25.45)
Kenya-KES2455($24.55)
South africa-R359($21.11)

So which one is the cheapest.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Multichoice Mulls Dropping EPL, UEFA Broadcast Rights by popcykaylah(m): 2:15pm On Jul 01, 2020
Na another strategy to increase subscription fees
Re: Multichoice Mulls Dropping EPL, UEFA Broadcast Rights by mu2sa2: 2:16pm On Jul 01, 2020
blowjohn:

Hahahahahahaha, shey you got this from revelation or from the book of wisdom yet to be published?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Anthony Joshua Shares First Photo After His Defeat By Andy Ruiz / Messi Names Six Clubs That Can Stop PSG From Winning Champions League / Jose Mourinho Gives Lionel Messi New Nickname 'The God Of Football'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.