Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,323 members, 7,811,952 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:19 AM

Why Multichoice Lost Out In Race For AFCON Broadcast Rights - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Why Multichoice Lost Out In Race For AFCON Broadcast Rights (25951 Views)

Liverpool Join Sevilla, Others In Race For Onuachu / Multichoice Mulls Dropping EPL, UEFA Broadcast Rights / Meet Joash Onyango, The 27-Year-Old Kenyan Footballer Training For AFCON (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Multichoice Lost Out In Race For AFCON Broadcast Rights by Islie: 8:11pm On Jan 04
BY IDRIS SHEHU

On Wednesday, MultiChoice Group revealed that it had failed to acquire the broadcasting rights for the African Cup Of Nations (AFCON).

The broadcast powerhouse said its SuperSport channel is unlikely to show the competition billed to commence on January 13 in Ivory Coast.

Super Eagles will play the host country, Equatorial Guinea and Guinea Bissau in Group A — and Nigerian football fans had hoped to watch the competition live on SuperSport.

With less than ten days to the tournament, the news by MultiChoice has hurt the viewing options of many football fans in sub-Saharan African countries.

MultiChoice, through DStv and GOtv, has over 23 million subscribers across 50 African countries. The company remains one of Africa’s biggest broadcast powerhouses with a lengthy history of consistently broadcasting continental football competitions.

HOW THEN DID MULTICHOICE FAIL TO SECURE BROADCASTING RIGHTS?

In December 2023, CAF announced a “historic media rights agreement” with New World TV, a Togolese audio-visual group, to broadcast all the federation’s 13 competitions to the sub-Saharan African audience for two years.

Patrice Motsepe, CAF president, described the contract as “the biggest investment by a Pan-African broadcaster in CAF’s history”.

The deal, which will hold from 2023-2025, encompasses the forthcoming AFCON and the tournament’s next edition.

According to SABC, the broadcast contract is worth R1.5 billion or $80 million.

The deal means that any TV station that intends to broadcast the tournaments would have to go through New World TV, effectively knocking MultiChoice out of the race.

WHAT IS NEW WORLD TV?

New World TV is a broadcast company founded in 2015 in Lome, the capital of Togo. The company has Free-to-Air (FTA) and Pay TV licences and is active in over 16 African countries — mainly Francophone nations.

However, in March 2021, the broadcast company from a tiny West African country with a gross domestic product (GDP) of just $8 billion stunned the world when it acquired the rights to broadcast the Qatar 2022 World Cup in Francophone countries in Sub-Saharan Africa.

The company also secured the 2023 Women’s World Cup and the 2024/2028 European Championships rights.

According to The Africa Report, New World TV is run by a Paris-based team headed by Kolani Nimonka, the company’s general manager.

There are reports that the Togolese government backs the company. The claims began after the government reportedly provided logistical and security support when New World TV brought several football stars like Emmanuel Petit, Marcel Desailly, and Emmanuel Adebayor to the country for a two-day workshop in September 2023.

However, New World TV refuted the reports. The company said it is being backed by local banks in Togo.

THE LIMITATIONS OF NEW WORLD TV

For all its ambition and financial muscle, New World TV is still in its infancy regarding audience reach across Africa. Its operation is still limited to 19 Francophone countries across the continent.

New World TV had a little over 100,000 subscribers in mid-2022. The number pales in comparison to the cross-continental spread of MultiChoice, Canal+ and BeIn.

There were also reports that the company suffered cyberattacks during its 2022 FIFA World Cup broadcast.

Due to its limited audience reach, New World TV would be looking to sub-licence the AFCON broadcast rights to Free-To-Air stations in African countries and Pay TV platforms.

WHERE CAN WE WATCH AFCON THEN?

Except for audiences in Francophone countries, no other Pay TV provider has announced plans to air the forthcoming AFCON.

There are reports that MultiChoice is still in talks with New World TV over sublicencing for English-speaking countries, but the details or stage of the deal remain candlestine.

On January 2, StarTimes Kenya announced that it would be airing the competition.

“AFCON 2023 will be live on StarTimes! Which team are you supporting to win the title? You can watch ALL AFCON matches live on StarTimes sports channels or stream via the StarTimes ON mobile app starting Jan 13!” the company said on Instagram.

A source close to StarTimes Nigeria told TheCable that the broadcast service will air the competition in Nigeria. He added that StarTimes had struck a sublicencing deal with New World TV, and an official announcement would be made soon.

https://www.thecable.ng/revealed-why-multichoice-lost-out-in-race-for-afcon-broadcast-rights/amp

Previous Thread

Supersport Won’t Air Nations Cup Matches As DSTV Fails To Secure AFCON Rights

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Multichoice Lost Out In Race For AFCON Broadcast Rights by Visocrate(m): 8:19pm On Jan 04
Ok star times does not have good audiovisual quality however we will manage it like that at all at all nah em bad

23 Likes

Re: Why Multichoice Lost Out In Race For AFCON Broadcast Rights by oz4real83(m): 8:26pm On Jan 04
The good news is that a company is finally breaking multichoice's monopoly over sports in Africa, the bad news is that Nigeria and Nigerian companies are always no where to be found when issues like this are being decided, small countries and their companies decide while Nigeria, a supposed giant must obey decisions made by these tiny countries lipsrsealed, if they decide that Nigerians won't be given access to watch afcon, the decision stands embarassed

133 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Multichoice Lost Out In Race For AFCON Broadcast Rights by money121(m): 8:30pm On Jan 04
Wahala
Re: Why Multichoice Lost Out In Race For AFCON Broadcast Rights by Timagex(m): 8:30pm On Jan 04
Imagine, African countries cannot watch African cup of nations! 😁

CHECK MY SIGNATURE IF EXCELLENT PHOTOGRAPHY SERVICES IS IMPORTANT TO YOU!

9 Likes

Re: Why Multichoice Lost Out In Race For AFCON Broadcast Rights by Dnet9dnet: 8:30pm On Jan 04
Let's keep managing

The young shall grow

2 Likes

Re: Why Multichoice Lost Out In Race For AFCON Broadcast Rights by Totilopussylick(m): 8:30pm On Jan 04
People with DStv dish mounted in their houses are unintelligent?

You must be a demented person tongue
CameroonPepper:
I've said it before & I will say it again, seeing DSTV dish mounted on a building is a sign that unintelligent beings reside there.

128 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Why Multichoice Lost Out In Race For AFCON Broadcast Rights by sheungeek(m): 8:30pm On Jan 04
Interesting!
Re: Why Multichoice Lost Out In Race For AFCON Broadcast Rights by SouthSouth1914: 8:30pm On Jan 04
Good thing! Multichoice have been there, let another company give them a run for their money.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Multichoice Lost Out In Race For AFCON Broadcast Rights by damilola4162(m): 8:30pm On Jan 04
Sadio Mane inaugurats build a multi millionaire Mini-Stadium, 𝗦𝘁𝗮𝗱𝗲 de Bambali which he offered to his home village in Senegal

Source: https://newspremises.com.ng/sadio-mane-inaugurats-a-mini-stadium-stade-de-bambali-which-he-offered-to-his-home-village-in-senegal

1 Like

Re: Why Multichoice Lost Out In Race For AFCON Broadcast Rights by NaijaCover(m): 8:30pm On Jan 04
Nawa o
Re: Why Multichoice Lost Out In Race For AFCON Broadcast Rights by yuzjet(m): 8:31pm On Jan 04
I can't wait for them to leave Nigeria

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Multichoice Lost Out In Race For AFCON Broadcast Rights by BlocksNG(m): 8:31pm On Jan 04
you are right.
CameroonPepper:
I've said it before & I will say it again, seeing DSTV dish mounted on a building is a sign that unintelligent beings reside there.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Multichoice Lost Out In Race For AFCON Broadcast Rights by Emperormartin(m): 8:31pm On Jan 04
My pain is the subscription I just recently made.

Imagine me that hasn't subscribed since September last year just subscribed on January 1st and I'm hearing this

7 Likes

Re: Why Multichoice Lost Out In Race For AFCON Broadcast Rights by clintino700(m): 8:32pm On Jan 04
way to end monopoly

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Multichoice Lost Out In Race For AFCON Broadcast Rights by sweetjohn(m): 8:32pm On Jan 04
Pls o we need a link for the livestream of all the matches.
Re: Why Multichoice Lost Out In Race For AFCON Broadcast Rights by Kukutente23: 8:33pm On Jan 04
CameroonPepper:
I guess I fall in this category
Kindly enlighten me as to the way out

10 Likes

Re: Why Multichoice Lost Out In Race For AFCON Broadcast Rights by Asgard99: 8:34pm On Jan 04
Reading through the comment section of Nairaland one wonders if Nigerians are the most negative set of humans that ever walked the face of the planet. What a bunch of cry babies.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Multichoice Lost Out In Race For AFCON Broadcast Rights by XOGBADO(m): 8:34pm On Jan 04
CameroonPepper:

5 Likes

Re: Why Multichoice Lost Out In Race For AFCON Broadcast Rights by Bluffly: 8:34pm On Jan 04
There is greed in Nigeria. We do not encourage collective wealth

2 Likes

Re: Why Multichoice Lost Out In Race For AFCON Broadcast Rights by Thinktwicemybro: 8:35pm On Jan 04
CameroonPepper:
That's the voice of poverty and stupidity talking. What do you call sense?

To spend 10k to buy data and stream one match. How many MB will you use to stream the match?

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Multichoice Lost Out In Race For AFCON Broadcast Rights by Utanisco(m): 8:35pm On Jan 04
Stupid set of people

Good
Re: Why Multichoice Lost Out In Race For AFCON Broadcast Rights by Nemesis0147(m): 8:36pm On Jan 04
CameroonPepper:
so what should they mount?
Omor werey

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Multichoice Lost Out In Race For AFCON Broadcast Rights by 9jaBloke: 8:36pm On Jan 04
smiley
Re: Why Multichoice Lost Out In Race For AFCON Broadcast Rights by saintaustine(m): 8:37pm On Jan 04
THE DAWN OF A NEW ERA
Re: Why Multichoice Lost Out In Race For AFCON Broadcast Rights by Menclothing: 8:37pm On Jan 04
We need a serious company that will compete with multi choice In Nigeria

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Multichoice Lost Out In Race For AFCON Broadcast Rights by CondemnBattery(f): 8:38pm On Jan 04
This table contains many of us. Tstv disappointed me. But I hope they are still in existence cha
CameroonPepper:
Re: Why Multichoice Lost Out In Race For AFCON Broadcast Rights by geoworldedu: 8:38pm On Jan 04
Hmm. Well, these days I stream matches, so i am already used to not watching from a dish.

1 Like

Re: Why Multichoice Lost Out In Race For AFCON Broadcast Rights by MetalJigsaw(m): 8:39pm On Jan 04
Dnet9dnet:
Let's keep managing

The young shall grow
Who do us this thing?

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Mikel Obi's Letter From A Fan In Ukraine / Ligue 1: Lille Dethrone Paris Saint-germain As Champions / Super Falconets Defeats Basetsana In South Africa (Video).

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.