Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,714 members, 7,824,027 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 08:47 PM

How Archimedes Principle Was Discovered Accidentally In The Bathroom - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How Archimedes Principle Was Discovered Accidentally In The Bathroom (2595 Views)

Female Student Reads In The Bathroom With The Shower On (Video) / This Giant Wolf Head From 40,000 Years Ago Was Discovered In Russia(pics). / Snakes Take Over Auchi Polytechnic, Student Runs Out Unclad From Bathroom (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Archimedes Principle Was Discovered Accidentally In The Bathroom by AmeLonRo(m): 2:21am On Jul 02, 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXhwpRCzmuM

Science students would be familiar with the “Archimedes’ principle” today.

That principle can be modified into the “law of floatation” or “law of buoyancy”.

How did the principle and law come about?

Was it deliberate or accidental?

Archimedes lived in one of the most influential cities of the ancient world called Syracuse.

Archimedes together with other scientists and researchers of his time were charged with proving that a new crown made for Hieron, the king of Syracuse, was not pure gold without doing any damage to the crown?

Another version said he was to find out the principle or explanation that will support the floating of the “Syracusia”, a massive ship that was to be constructed and presented as a gift to Egypt.

Archimedes was sitting in a bath house one day wondering how a heavy object can float.

He was inspired that an object proportionally immersed in a fluid will displace an amount of water equal to its own weight.

He forgot that he was naked in the bathroom and ran to the street en route to the Kings palace shouting "Eureka!", "Eureka!" ("I have it!" in Greek).

This logic is critical in the construction of ships.

Heavy steel materials are placed at the base of the sheep which can displace a large volume of water.

To the effect that whatever the other items used in constructing the ship it will not sink still but float.

Applications of Archimedes’ principle
When a glass is filled to capacity with water and ice cubes are then introduced to it, what happens? In kike manner as the water over flowed the edge when Archimedes entered his bathtub, the water in the glass will spill over when ice cubes are added to it. If the water that spilled out were weighed, it would equal the upthrust on the object. From the upthrust or upward force, the volume or average density of the object can be determined.
Archimedes determined that the crown he was investigating at the time was impure gold because of the volume of the water displaced. This was arrived at because the volume was different due the various densities of the metals. Additionally, this principle is utilized in a large variety of scientific research subjects including medical, engineering, entomology, engineering, and geology. Copious articles exist on the use of Archimedes’ principle in bone volumes/densities, submarines, water-walking bugs and geology.
Archimedes’ principle summary: upward force= weight of liquid displaced

MNEUMONIC= Up wold (wold = weight of liquid displaced)

Bottom line: You can make a discovery at any time and in any place.

Remember to subscribe and click the notification bell now.

Also watch other videos.

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Archimedes Principle Was Discovered Accidentally In The Bathroom by Nobody: 3:19am On Jul 02, 2020
GOOD ONE.

U won't Find people on this kind of THREAD.
But if na TWERKERS, Hushpuppi, Regina Daniel...
U will see CROWD.
This also tells you the reason the country is submerged in Ignorance and poverty with overwhelming Religious Diarrhoea.

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Archimedes Principle Was Discovered Accidentally In The Bathroom by IvarTheBoneless: 5:33am On Jul 02, 2020
The Greek was downloading hot shiit... undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Archimedes Principle Was Discovered Accidentally In The Bathroom by phemmyfour: 6:19am On Jul 02, 2020
A floating object displace the weight of water eqals to its weight
Re: How Archimedes Principle Was Discovered Accidentally In The Bathroom by Stanweezy(m): 6:26am On Jul 02, 2020
I'm coming to finish my investigation in this thread
Re: How Archimedes Principle Was Discovered Accidentally In The Bathroom by gbadexy(m): 6:52am On Jul 02, 2020
The principle doesn't explain why a brick would not float by displacing it's equal volume of water in weight.
I think the principle is for hollow objects and is dependent on the surface area to weight ratio.

12 Likes

Re: How Archimedes Principle Was Discovered Accidentally In The Bathroom by HomerTimpson: 6:54am On Jul 02, 2020
Civilization goes where education goes from egypt to greek to britain to usa but unfortunately we are not educated here only schooling.

4 Likes

Re: How Archimedes Principle Was Discovered Accidentally In The Bathroom by mrpoul(m): 7:27am On Jul 02, 2020
I doubt if the mass of an object can be found by this method
Re: How Archimedes Principle Was Discovered Accidentally In The Bathroom by UndauntedYOCA(f): 7:40am On Jul 02, 2020
Great info, learnt this in 6th grade and it hasn't left my memory.
Re: How Archimedes Principle Was Discovered Accidentally In The Bathroom by Nobody: 7:46am On Jul 02, 2020
gbadexy:
The principle doesn't explain why a brick would not float by displacing it's equal volume of water in weight.
I think the principle is for hollow objects and is dependent on the surface area to weight ratio.
i think it has something to do with the surface tension or surface area.

ps:thats a very good question sir.
Re: How Archimedes Principle Was Discovered Accidentally In The Bathroom by Juliearth(f): 10:02am On Jul 02, 2020
AmeLonRo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXhwpRCzmuM

Science students would be familiar with the “Archimedes’ principle” today.

That principle can be modified into the “law of floatation” or “law of buoyancy”.

How did the principle and law come about?

Was it deliberate or accidental?

Archimedes lived in one of the most influential cities of the ancient world called Syracuse.

Archimedes together with other scientists and researchers of his time were charged with proving that a new crown made for Hieron, the king of Syracuse, was not pure gold without doing any damage to the crown?

Another version said he was to find out the principle or explanation that will support the floating of the “Syracusia”, a massive ship that was to be constructed and presented as a gift to Egypt.

Archimedes was sitting in a bath house one day wondering how a heavy object can float.

He was inspired that an object proportionally immersed in a fluid will displace an amount of water equal to its own weight.

He forgot that he was naked in the bathroom and ran to the street en route to the Kings palace shouting "Eureka!", "Eureka!" ("I have it!" in Greek).

This logic is critical in the construction of ships.

Heavy steel materials are placed at the base of the sheep which can displace a large volume of water.

To the effect that whatever the other items used in constructing the ship it will not sink still but float.

Applications of Archimedes’ principle
When a glass is filled to capacity with water and ice cubes are then introduced to it, what happens? In kike manner as the water over flowed the edge when Archimedes entered his bathtub, the water in the glass will spill over when ice cubes are added to it. If the water that spilled out were weighed, it would equal the upthrust on the object. From the upthrust or upward force, the volume or average density of the object can be determined.
Archimedes determined that the crown he was investigating at the time was impure gold because of the volume of the water displaced. This was arrived at because the volume was different due the various densities of the metals. Additionally, this principle is utilized in a large variety of scientific research subjects including medical, engineering, entomology, engineering, and geology. Copious articles exist on the use of Archimedes’ principle in bone volumes/densities, submarines, water-walking bugs and geology.
Archimedes’ principle summary: upward force= weight of liquid displaced

MNEUMONIC= Up wold (wold = weight of liquid displaced)

Bottom line: You can make a discovery at any time and in any place.

Remember to subscribe and click the notification bell now.

Also watch other videos.

Nice one, op! You sort of brougt back fond high school memories.
Re: How Archimedes Principle Was Discovered Accidentally In The Bathroom by kayelm87(m): 10:13am On Jul 02, 2020
gbadexy:
I think its because brick or block has pores where water can pass through.
Re: How Archimedes Principle Was Discovered Accidentally In The Bathroom by Nobody: 10:17am On Jul 02, 2020
kayelm87:
lets take a bar of gold as example, it would still sink.
Re: How Archimedes Principle Was Discovered Accidentally In The Bathroom by nanyanuel(m): 10:36am On Jul 02, 2020
25tolife:
An object will only float if the weight of the object is equal to the upthrust acting on it.

2 Likes

Re: How Archimedes Principle Was Discovered Accidentally In The Bathroom by Nobody: 11:17am On Jul 02, 2020
nanyanuel:

An object will only float if the weight of the object is equal to the upthrust acting on it.
hmmm,ok. I still want to knw more. I did nt clearly understand the principle though i crammed it about 8 years ago.
Re: How Archimedes Principle Was Discovered Accidentally In The Bathroom by gbadexy(m): 11:26am On Jul 02, 2020
kayelm87:
Even solid metal brick would sink.
Re: How Archimedes Principle Was Discovered Accidentally In The Bathroom by OYENIYIJK: 12:11pm On Jul 02, 2020
Nice. We Learn!
Re: How Archimedes Principle Was Discovered Accidentally In The Bathroom by Aguemma(m): 12:38pm On Jul 02, 2020
When a body is totally or partially emerged in a fluid, it experiences an upthrust which is equal to the weight of the object body displaced.

One of the laws I can't forget so easily. Kudos to him!

1 Like

Re: How Archimedes Principle Was Discovered Accidentally In The Bathroom by Obakashdee(m): 1:20pm On Jul 02, 2020
Me wey I don even forget every about Archimedes
Re: How Archimedes Principle Was Discovered Accidentally In The Bathroom by dprpikin: 1:40pm On Jul 02, 2020
gbadexy:

What the general Archimedes principle was trying to convey is that an object submerged in a liquid experiences a force which tends to push it upward, irrespective of whether the object is floating on or sunk beneath the liquid.

He also propounded another principle-- the principle of floatation-- which easily answered your question. It states 'for an object to float on a liquid, the weight of the object must be equal to ( or less than) the upthrust of the liquid.

The brick would sink because it's weight is greater than the upthrust the water exerts.

The principle is not limited to hollow objects, because a log of wood do float on water.

1 Like

Re: How Archimedes Principle Was Discovered Accidentally In The Bathroom by sureteeboy(m): 4:26pm On Jul 02, 2020
gbadexy:
I think some guys have explained this already. Let me just add this.
If you take that piece of block and measure its volume and weigh it, then you measure an equal volume of water and weigh it as well, you will discover that the brick will definitely weigh more. This indicates that the brick has higher density. Hence, the upthrust from the water will be insufficient to lift it up to the surface of the water when thrown in it. And upthrust is less than the weight of the object, the object sinks.

1 Like

Re: How Archimedes Principle Was Discovered Accidentally In The Bathroom by psp2pc(m): 12:59am On Jul 03, 2020
What about throwing it in a ocean, is the block heavier than the ocean?
Re: How Archimedes Principle Was Discovered Accidentally In The Bathroom by Megaflex(m): 2:45am On Jul 03, 2020
25tolife:
It would sink because the weight of the gold is greater than it's upthrust (upward force in the water)
Re: How Archimedes Principle Was Discovered Accidentally In The Bathroom by gbadexy(m): 2:59am On Jul 03, 2020
I think density answers the law of flotation better.
It's what I was grappling to explain earlier.
Irrespective of whether hollow or solid, materials less denser than water would float on it.
The higher the mass to surface area ratio is i.e mass over volume or density, the more it would float over more denser materials.
A block of wax or even plastic would flat on water.
Same thing with gases.
Re: How Archimedes Principle Was Discovered Accidentally In The Bathroom by Nobody: 6:48am On Jul 03, 2020
Megaflex:
It would sink because the weight of the gold is greater than it's upthrust (upward force in the water)
thanks.
Re: How Archimedes Principle Was Discovered Accidentally In The Bathroom by AmeLonRo(m): 1:13pm On Jul 03, 2020
You are correct. But if 10 bars of gold are at different edges and an aluminium slate or slates of aluminium form the the other covers it will not sink once it is not leaking. Its a principle with applications. Please go to my youtube channel, watch other videos and subscribe. I am happy and I love you.

25tolife:
Re: How Archimedes Principle Was Discovered Accidentally In The Bathroom by AmeLonRo(m): 1:15pm On Jul 03, 2020
I love this beautiful response sir.

You are correct. density and weight go hand in hand. This a principle with applications. Please go to my youtube channel, watch other videos and subscribe. I am happy and I love you.

gbadexy:
I think density answers the law of flotation better.
It's what I was grappling to explain earlier.
Irrespective of whether hollow or solid, materials less denser than water would float on it.
The higher the mass to surface area ratio is i.e mass over volume or density, the more it would float over more denser materials.
A block of wax or even plastic would flat on water.
Same thing with gases.

(1) (Reply)

Just In: ASUU And FG Concludes An Agreement / Jamb Second Choices / Check Witheld Or Seized Waec And Neco Result.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.