Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,415 members, 7,815,934 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:17 PM

Is It Rude For A Mother To Boast About Her Child? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It Rude For A Mother To Boast About Her Child? (2349 Views)

My Brother In Law (sister's Husby) Is Becoming Too Rude For My Liking... / See What A Woman Did To Save Her Child From A Fire Outbreak(photo) / Bride Breastfeeding Her Child On Wedding Day (pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Rude For A Mother To Boast About Her Child? by mamagee3(f): 3:36am On Feb 01, 2011
Is it okay for a woman to boast about her child being so intelligent, hardworking and courageous to her friend all the time almost acting like her daughter is the best child out there while her friend's daughter should follow in her daughter's footsteps.

Do you think it's okay for a mother to do that or is it just plain rude?
Re: Is It Rude For A Mother To Boast About Her Child? by Nobody: 4:49am On Feb 01, 2011
What a question
Re: Is It Rude For A Mother To Boast About Her Child? by tpiah2: 5:50am On Feb 01, 2011
when you have your own child, run him or her down.
Re: Is It Rude For A Mother To Boast About Her Child? by ifyalways(f): 9:00am On Feb 01, 2011
Bragging or boasting abt anything ie kids,accomplishments,marriage,success can be impolite and even boring to the listener.You can be proud and happy abt ur kids but when u go on and on it becomes lame,boring and childish.

I love to hear good things about my friends' children. It makes me happy to see them happy and I am genuinely pleased when they do well. But I much prefer the company of a parent who humbly responds to questions about her child's accomplishments to one who brags incessantly to anyone who will listen.
Re: Is It Rude For A Mother To Boast About Her Child? by mutter(f): 10:21am On Feb 01, 2011
I understand Mama Gee.
It is tactless and arrogant.
I personally do not like to brag about my kids. This world is full of people who do not mean you well and it is better not to ring your bell too loud.
I also don`t even like to emphasise one kid because my other kids may feel bad and some kids have more talents than others or do better.
Well if something like that is happening why don`t you tell her honestly that you have had enough and that your daughter will have to move at her own tempo.
Everyone has their talents and much later those doing well, may not do so well and the dull ones will exhale.
A real friend motivates her friend with her kids and does not make her go feeling bad by comparing with hers.
I have a daughter that now wins awards for school work but initially she was just average. Somewhere at about 15 she just got this drive from nowhere.
I remember with 13 i was still having to go to her friends to see what they had written and get her to update her work because she just was not working in the class. She was very miserable because she was being mobbed and could not speak up for herself.
Meanwhile a son that was always the best in class, suddenly at about 10 got so lazy that it was a "let my people go" situation. Last year he was only promoted on trial. I think that gave him a shock because now he is climbing up. Certainly he will need much time to get to the top again.
I had a friend that was a total lazy guy and did nothing in school, today his company is doing so well. He is doing much better than his siblings that got fantastic grades.
You cannot brag about a journey till you get to the end.
Don`t let it bother you.
All you have to do is try and get out the best you can from your kids.
A son of mine is hyper and gets real bad notes. The day I picked him up and he showed me his 3 in maths. He was 9 then, I jumped and hugged him and was so excited.
One mother came to me and asked me what he got, when I told her she looked at her son and said her son wrote a 1-2. I laughed and told her, my sons note was much better because we worked so hard for it and it was his best note ever in maths.
That note made me happier than all the 1`s and 2`s my other kids ever showed me.
Another daughter that was always getting good notes, she is just averagely intelligent but very hard working, suddenly she just changed. Dancing all over the place and not in the mood for school work. That has reflected this term in her work. So now I am sitting on her and hope we can turn the table round again.
Most people think my kids are doing so well because they go to good schools and have activities they attend like choir and dancing etc, but behind that facade there is allot of trials and failures, frustration and mistakes too.
It is only fair to be open when advising a friendĀ  and make the friend see the other side not just the glitters.
Re: Is It Rude For A Mother To Boast About Her Child? by naijafrend: 3:06pm On Feb 01, 2011
While it is almost natural for a mother to boast about her child, it is definitely impolite to ask someone's kid to follow your own's footsteps.

Infact it is boring to keep on hearing 'my kid is that and my kid is this' from someone. If your kid has truly achieved something worth boasting about, it would be best to keep the declaration short and sweet.
Re: Is It Rude For A Mother To Boast About Her Child? by tpiah2: 4:11pm On Feb 01, 2011
some of these things are subjective.

personally, i havent seen any nigerian boast about their child to my own face, dont know if the op has however.

and some people are unnecessarily sensitive and constantly decide to take offence regardless of the offender's intention.

being proud of your child doesnt have to be a bad thing.

nigerians in particular are very superstitious and wouldnt be likely to engage in such, as far as i know though i stand corrected if wrong.

however, if people are going to take your words the wrong way, even if you're joking, then best to speak carefully because bad belle is real.
Re: Is It Rude For A Mother To Boast About Her Child? by NAJALYN: 4:54pm On Feb 01, 2011
In my opinion, a mother boasting about her child's qualities & achievements is inviting trouble for herself. By so doing she is exposing that child to danger. She becomes the target of evil persons who do not like seeing others progress. Please mothers always watch what you say about your child, & even your home, so it does not go into wrong hands.
Re: Is It Rude For A Mother To Boast About Her Child? by ZIMDRILL(m): 7:29pm On Feb 01, 2011
mama-gee:

Is it okay for a woman to boast about her child being so intelligent, hardworking and courageous to her friend all the time almost acting like her daughter is the best child out there while her friend's daughter should follow in her daughter's footsteps.

Do you think it's okay for a mother to do that or is it just plain rude?

rude ?

never heard of such

do you mean TOO PROUD/BOASTFUL

they should be a limit becoz the day s/he will embrass you, shame would be on you
Re: Is It Rude For A Mother To Boast About Her Child? by xxcarolxx(f): 8:21pm On Feb 01, 2011
It's nice to boast now and again, but not shoving in someone's face constantly. As mother's we can't help but be proud of our kids, Though i have seen mother's put pressure on their kids cos such and such a child is doing better than what they are, because of this some kids have taken their lives cos they are afraid they won't live up to their parents expectations,
Re: Is It Rude For A Mother To Boast About Her Child? by Busybody2(f): 9:07pm On Feb 01, 2011
It is crass, so its a no no cool
Re: Is It Rude For A Mother To Boast About Her Child? by Outstrip(f): 9:27pm On Feb 01, 2011
I don't see anything in being proud of your kids but what I do not get is where she is giving you tips on how your child can be like hers. LOL. Some people sha. The nerve
Re: Is It Rude For A Mother To Boast About Her Child? by Angolobabe(f): 9:59am On Feb 05, 2011
No i dont think its polite to boast about ones child to others ,i know some ladies especially do this to rob it in the face of other women who dont have kids yet or that have problems keeping or concieving as if they are God.

If ur child is going well ,be happy and content within urself and family and beside bad belly people too much dis days to even brag of ones child's success.
Re: Is It Rude For A Mother To Boast About Her Child? by samparian(m): 2:03pm On Feb 05, 2011
I think that is normal with some mothers. but i think its wrong. it's always better to let others the boasting and bragging for your children, When they've actually achieved something.
Re: Is It Rude For A Mother To Boast About Her Child? by Nobody: 6:14pm On Feb 05, 2011
Well, like i pointed out on other threads, there are people who feel bitter because they dont have what they think you have, and as such, can go to any length to damage you. So mothers who boast about their children should stop doing so, because the person you`re talking to might not take it in a friendly manner the way you intended. And yes, its bad taste to intentionally tout your child as better than somebody else`s, but if people are going to start taking you up on what they consider a challenge, then better desist.

(1) (Reply)

Man Charged For Raping Wife On Wedding Night / Is This Done Delibrately?? What'd You Think? / Rate Of Pregnancy These Days Quite Alarming!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.