Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,401 members, 7,861,133 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 02:23 AM

Disrespecting And Insulting Elders Is Very Unafrican And Gutter Behaviour - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Disrespecting And Insulting Elders Is Very Unafrican And Gutter Behaviour (5067 Views)

Elders Bowing for 17-Year-Old Delta-King Chukwuka-Akaeze I / Why Are Nigerians So Abusive And Insulting? / Why are Nigerian so Abusive and Insulting (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Disrespecting And Insulting Elders Is Very Unafrican And Gutter Behaviour by Nobody: 2:23am On Feb 02, 2011
omega25red:

this is the attitude that gets insults and disrespect. This is a forum where anyone African or not can state and opinion. you basically gave her an underhanded insult by say "i don't know how they do things in Jamaica" saying things like that antagonizes people. you started a thread and people are answering just because you had issues with someone in another area of the site doesn't mean they can't state their opinion.

it is disheartening to see how elders are disrespected but most of those elders refuse to realize that the world has and is changing. all that old school stuff doesn't fly anymore. [size=18pt]as and "elder" you just can't talk or behave recklessly and not expect retaliation[/size] such is the world we live in now so elders will have to adjust to the current world.

@Tpiah, Mukina will see this. You are a trouble maker and pathetic. "African thread" lol my nyash. It is so obvious (your intentions). Clearly others see right through you hence only three people other than myself have posted on here. Get over yourself.  tongue
Re: Disrespecting And Insulting Elders Is Very Unafrican And Gutter Behaviour by omega25red(m): 2:26am On Feb 02, 2011
"Disrespecting and insulting elders is very unafrican and gutter behavior"

Take the time to read you topic again which i wrote above i dont see where it says only africans can answer. it obvious you don't and will never get it let your rage continue to fuel your fire. misery loves company but it aint gonna be me.

p.s i didn't catch feelings on anyones behalf i just stated the obvious

good luck
Re: Disrespecting And Insulting Elders Is Very Unafrican And Gutter Behaviour by Jenifa1: 2:28am On Feb 02, 2011
^^i'm referring to the practice by some people, of automatically insulting others just because they're older.

yea i'm annoyed by that too. but then this is the internet. People sometimes will say stuff they don't have the guts to say to your face in real life.
I think it might also be nice if the elderly person doesn't mingle too much with the younger ones or do things that are immature otherwise there will be a loss of respect. You have to keep your distance/compose yourself to some extent.
Re: Disrespecting And Insulting Elders Is Very Unafrican And Gutter Behaviour by tpiah2: 2:33am On Feb 02, 2011
omega25red:

"Disrespecting and insulting elders is very unafrican and gutter behavior"

Take the time to read you topic again which i wrote above i dont see where it says only africans can answer. it obvious you don't and will never get it let your rage continue to fuel your fire. misery loves company but it aint gonna be me.

p.s i didn't catch feelings on anyones behalf i just stated the obvious

good luck

you will never learn until you're 6 feet under.

good luck.
Re: Disrespecting And Insulting Elders Is Very Unafrican And Gutter Behaviour by tpiah2: 2:36am On Feb 02, 2011
Jenifa_:

yea i'm annoyed by that too. but then this is the internet. People sometimes will say stuff they don't have the guts to say to your face in real life.
I think it might also be nice if the elderly person doesn't mingle too much with the younger ones or do things that are immature otherwise there will be a loss of respect. You have to keep your distance/compose yourself to some extent.

well, my point is the so-called younger ones need to get a grip because they arent doing themselves any favours by their behaviour.

the essence of respect is you give it even when you think it's uncalled for or unnecessary.

and as the well-worn phrase goes, attack issues, not personality.

gutter breeding is gutter breeding.
Re: Disrespecting And Insulting Elders Is Very Unafrican And Gutter Behaviour by isalegan2: 2:43am On Feb 02, 2011
I feel you Tpia. It's the interweb. What can you do?

When Al Gore was designing it, he didn't ask me if I wanted one for the adults and one for the kids. Damn him! angry

On a serious note, it would be a shame if people actually think there is nothing to be gained from being civil and respectful.

If it gets really bad, you can always escape with me - you know where.
Re: Disrespecting And Insulting Elders Is Very Unafrican And Gutter Behaviour by armyofone(m): 2:56pm On Feb 02, 2011
it is the internet. really hard for most pple to know how old the other person is so they insult or carry out gutterish language like the ware sellers at oshodi market grin
Re: Disrespecting And Insulting Elders Is Very Unafrican And Gutter Behaviour by tpia5: 3:39pm On Feb 02, 2011
this stuff is taken very seriously in real life.

people do complain of what i mentioned here, and i'm not surprised at folks exhibiting the same gutter behaviour online.

regardless even if we feel elders do not deserve to be respected if they are acting in ways they shouldnt, the onus is on the so-called youths to not run their mouths like demented people.

i will not give any details on real life events because it's not everything that needs to be exposed on the web.
Re: Disrespecting And Insulting Elders Is Very Unafrican And Gutter Behaviour by PhysicsMHD(m): 8:32pm On Feb 02, 2011
tpia@:

bro, you're older than me.

You can't be serious. You've already posted your picture here in that link that was in your signature. You've got to be at least 35.

as per mocking elders, are you planning to be an elder some day?

just asking.

I plan to live long. I don't condone rudeness to anyone or anybody unless they earn contempt through their own efforts. Don't try to extrapolate my life philosophy from a few jabs or jokes on an anonymous forum.

so, you're saying you insult elders because wole soyinka does so.

I don't insult elders just for being older (the topic of your post) and like I said before I've never seen an African insult an elder. Wole Soyinka's comment was just my theory about the people you may have encountered who behave oppositely and don't seem to give a damn.

and as for reaction, if i go through your posts, i'm sure i'll find some where you were foaming at the mouth with rage at something somebody said.

dont be a hypocrite.

Never said I don't get mad or angry, I was just laughing at the fact that you didn't take it as a joke but instead got all pissed off, which is kind of what I expected given your previous interactions with other members on here. It's kind of funny how you seem to have become more hardened (online, at least) and defensive just because of nairaland.  grin
Re: Disrespecting And Insulting Elders Is Very Unafrican And Gutter Behaviour by tpiah2: 8:37pm On Feb 02, 2011
^^the thread is not about me, ok? If you want to have a conversation with me, then do it outside this thread.

if you say you personally dont insult people for being older, then why are you so defensive.

those of us who know what we're talking about, can discuss the issue.

Don't try to extrapolate my life philosophy from a few jabs or jokes on an anonymous forum.

too late for that.

now, if you have a comment about the subject matter, drop it here. If not, discuss my personality elsewhere.
Re: Disrespecting And Insulting Elders Is Very Unafrican And Gutter Behaviour by PhysicsMHD(m): 8:48pm On Feb 02, 2011
lol, so uptight grin grin
Re: Disrespecting And Insulting Elders Is Very Unafrican And Gutter Behaviour by tpiah2: 8:49pm On Feb 02, 2011
^so egostitical undecided

kindly stop derailing the thread and go advertise yourself elsewhere. undecided
Re: Disrespecting And Insulting Elders Is Very Unafrican And Gutter Behaviour by PhysicsMHD(m): 8:53pm On Feb 02, 2011
Typical. grin

cool
Re: Disrespecting And Insulting Elders Is Very Unafrican And Gutter Behaviour by tpiah2: 8:57pm On Feb 02, 2011
Article: Destruction of African culture has left the youth directionless and lacking respect.(News)

This time, the occasion comes at a time when youths ,  seem to find it fashionable to draw attention to themselves by making rude pronouncements in their political statements.

Even some youth formations whose foundations are rooted in the teachings of respect are finding this destructive tendency irresistible in the false notion that by exhibiting arrogant and aggressive behaviour, they will make themselves relevant and spare themselves political oblivion.

Considering that the youth of today are tomorrow's leaders, are these disrespectful youths the kind of people to take Africa forward? I beg to disagree. Those who care need to do something to arrest this descent into rot.

But in order to do so, we must ask: How did Africans find themselves in this decadence?

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-201139699.html
Re: Disrespecting And Insulting Elders Is Very Unafrican And Gutter Behaviour by isalegan2: 10:11pm On Feb 02, 2011
PhysicsMHD:

Typical. grin

cool

What's going on, my PHDMDDDS [size=4pt]bicurious [/size] friend?  So unlike you to be getting into meaningless fights?  Are you missing your bosom buddy, Jaygetta?  Se fe ka pari ija?  Can we settle the quarrel?

You too Ileke!
Re: Disrespecting And Insulting Elders Is Very Unafrican And Gutter Behaviour by ifele(m): 11:02pm On Feb 02, 2011
Eleders themselves should stop disrespecting and insulting their children and the youth. If elders respect the youth the youth will respect them.
Re: Disrespecting And Insulting Elders Is Very Unafrican And Gutter Behaviour by tpiah2: 11:05pm On Feb 02, 2011
isale_gan2:

What's going on, my PHDMDDDS [size=4pt]bicurious [/size] friend?  So unlike you to be getting into meaningless fights?  Are you missing your bosom buddy, Jaygetta?  Se fe ka pari ija?  Can we settle the quarrel?

You too Ileke!

please dont bring any animal in here. undecided

as for physicqed, he knows better than anyone else what's biting his arse.

best ignored so he can go find someone else to dump on.

he probably wants to derail the thread because he didnt think of it first.

same way he got so agitated over the hausa one and couldnt rest until he shouted it down.

envious much.
Re: Disrespecting And Insulting Elders Is Very Unafrican And Gutter Behaviour by tpiah2: 11:06pm On Feb 02, 2011
ifele:

Eleders themselves should stop disrespecting and insulting their children and the youth. If elders respect the youth the youth will respect them.

let the youths respect themselves so the elders can respect them.

no matter how long it is, the tail cant be the head.
Re: Disrespecting And Insulting Elders Is Very Unafrican And Gutter Behaviour by isalegan2: 11:40pm On Feb 02, 2011
tpiah*:

please dont bring any animal in here. undecided
as for physicqed, he knows better than anyone else what's biting his arse.
best ignored so he can go find someone else to dump on.
he probably wants to derail the thread because he didnt think of it first.
same way he got so agitated over the hausa one and couldnt rest until he shouted it down.
envious much.

Okay.  I am not really sure what is going on.  But I respect your wishes.  smiley
Re: Disrespecting And Insulting Elders Is Very Unafrican And Gutter Behaviour by PhysicsMHD(m): 2:18am On Feb 03, 2011
What Hausa thread did I get agitated over? undecided

I'm seriously confused.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Define Nigerian Culture In A Sentence / Child Naming In Yoruba Culture / Which State Is Least Racist And Low For Gun Crime.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.