Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,208 members, 7,953,767 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 04:59 AM

The Future Of Programming Language - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / The Future Of Programming Language (2050 Views)

I Gave Up On Programming. I'm Tired Of Programming. I Need To Rest. / MTN Momo Hack: The Dangerous Aspect Of Programming No One Tells You About / Mathematics As Backbone Of Programming (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Future Of Programming Language by hardebayho(m): 8:06pm On Jul 04, 2020
InfinityFabric:

Haha, not surprised Madam SegFault is supporting C++.
The entire existence of Rust is based on preventing Segfaults /s

Let us see where it goes, but with C++20, it seems the committee is on a winning streak like Man United and AMD right now.
With C++23 (Executors and Networking pleease..., Reflection v1, Pattern matching v1 maybe), C++26 Rust will need more than hype.

If you're going to kill C++, u'd better look like C++.

Those Rust people yaf not stop work too na. Abi they've stopped maintaining it ni?
Re: The Future Of Programming Language by InfinityFabric: 8:26pm On Jul 04, 2020
Sulele04:
my brother it is undisputed the power of cpp, but no matter the changes that happens to cpp. Memory leaks are its biggest undoing, it really hard to program safe in cpp, where as in rust you dont need to worry about anything. Rust by the way is faster than c argue with your computer. the only edge cpp have over rust is the large userbase and many lib which is achieved over time.
Haha, someone is repeating Rust Evangelism Strike Force's arguments.

it really hard to program safe in cpp,
Not hard, but u don't get Rust's built in protections.

in rust you dont need to worry about anything
Except when u go into 'unsafe' territory. A place u will likely go often than not when building system application

the only edge cpp have over rust is the large userbase and many lib which is achieved over time.
Over time like 20 years ?
By that time C++ won't even be recognizable to what we have today.
Between C++11 and C++20 is a lot of updates.

There are cool features of Rust u could've mentioned, u just mentioned the ones that make u sound like a Copy Pasta.
Languages ​​that claim to kill/replace C++ are between dead (Dlang) or changed career (Golang).
I fear C++ will send Rust into ICU with a heavy punch between 2020 and 2026.

Look, Rust is great. The issue is when u let nerds design interface, feature set that's where it's scary.
Good luck converting people without OOP, exceptions in your language.
I don't know if they now have default arguments and function overloading.
Re: The Future Of Programming Language by InfinityFabric: 8:31pm On Jul 04, 2020
hardebayho:

Those Rust people yaf not stop work too na. Abi they've stopped maintaining it ni?
Of course they do.
The thing is C++ has more resources and they're moving faster.
And the quality of third party libraries these days is quite good compared to 10 years ago.
The thing is C++ is considering some features that will make Rust more less redundant.

For me, Rust already miss the mark by making itself equally hard to learn like C++.
By not supporting OOP or structural typing, they've alienated themselves from a lot of potential users.
They should ask LISP what happened between the her and ALGOL.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Future Of Programming Language by thenaijacoder(m): 8:48pm On Jul 04, 2020
One thing many developers fail to understand is that no programming languages is going anyway. As old as ASP.net is, big tech companies like Microsoft still uses it to run their products and websites.

Even java which is the grandfather of programming, Google popular products and services like Gmail, Youtube and others still run on Java & SpringBoot.

Programming is flexible.

1 Like

Re: The Future Of Programming Language by InfinityFabric: 6:20am On Jul 05, 2020
thenaijacoder:
One thing many developers fail to understand is that no programming languages is going anyway. As old as ASP.net is, big tech companies like Microsoft still uses it to run their products and websites.

Even java which is the grandfather of programming, Google popular products and services like Gmail, Youtube and others still run on Java & SpringBoot.

Programming is flexible.
Absolutely incorrect, evidently untrue and historically inaccurate.

One thing many developers fail to understand is that no programming languages is going anyway.
Haven't u heard of ALGOL, BCPL ? I mean COBOL used to be a thing not it's less of a thing.

old as ASP.net is, big tech companies like Microsoft still uses it to run their products and websites.
Which Microsoft's site ? Definitely not Microsoft.com.

Haha, Java is cesspool of crap. And who told you she's the grandfather of programming?
Do u even know anything about anything ? Abeg go sit down for that corner we will call u later.
YouTube uses many languages: Python, C, C++ Go Java, JS (UI). Go is increasingly becoming the major one.

1 Like

Re: The Future Of Programming Language by Nobody: 8:51am On Jul 05, 2020
InfinityFabric:

Haha, not surprised Madam SegFault is supporting C++.
The entire existence of Rust is based on preventing Segfaults /s

Let us see where it goes, but with C++20, it seems the committee is on a winning streak like Man United and AMD right now.
With C++23 (Executors and Networking pleease..., Reflection v1, Pattern matching v1 maybe), C++26 Rust will need more than hype.

If you're going to kill C++, u'd better look like C++.
You understand nagringrin
Re: The Future Of Programming Language by Nobody: 8:52am On Jul 05, 2020
InfinityFabric:

Absolutely incorrect, evidently untrue and historically inaccurate.

Haven't u heard of ALGOL, BCPL ? I mean COBOL used to be a thing not it's less of a thing.

Which Microsoft's site ? Definitely not Microsoft.com.

Haha, Java is cesspool of crap. And who told you she's the grandfather of programming?
Do u even know anything about anything ? Abeg go sit down for that corner we will call u later.
YouTube uses many languages: Python, C, C++ Go Java, JS (UI). Go is increasingly becoming the major one.

COBOL is still being used. It's being used on mainframes for business companies mostly.
Re: The Future Of Programming Language by Nobody: 8:55am On Jul 05, 2020
InfinityFabric:

Haha, someone is repeating Rust Evangelism Strike Force's arguments.

Not hard, but u don't get Rust's built in protections.

Except when u go into 'unsafe' territory. A place u will likely go often than not when building system application

Over time like 20 years ?
By that time C++ won't even be recognizable to what we have today.
Between C++11 and C++20 is a lot of updates.

There are cool features of Rust u could've mentioned, u just mentioned the ones that make u sound like a Copy Pasta.
Languages ​​that claim to kill/replace C++ are between dead (Dlang) or changed career (Golang).
I fear C++ will send Rust into ICU with a heavy punch between 2020 and 2026.

Look, Rust is great. The issue is when u let nerds design interface, feature set that's where it's scary.
Good luck converting people without OOP, exceptions in your language.
I don't know if they now have default arguments and function overloading.
Ha remove exceptions from the list that attracts people. Most programmers on stack overflow always advise programmers to find a workaround for exceptions, it has something to do with uncaught exceptions (which are liable to happen when the project swells in side) but pushing that aside. C++ 20 is the bomb the features off me. Wait Rust doesn't have function overloads, chai tufia that is what drives me to the edge with C.
Re: The Future Of Programming Language by Nobody: 9:06am On Jul 05, 2020
hardebayho:

Its not like Linus could've used Rust to create Linux na. I mean, Linux has been existence WAY before rust. I don't think rust is faster than C though. I think it might have a chance against C++. C is like their grandfather or something
I am not saying that he could have used Rust, rust is still fresh in the game what I am saying is that many os developers can never agree to use Rust, syntax is too hard and for all your efforts it's not even a fair competitor with C. C is still used today.
Re: The Future Of Programming Language by InfinityFabric: 9:55am On Jul 05, 2020
SegFault:

COBOL is still being used. It's being used on mainframes for business companies mostly.
I know. Said it used to be thing not that not used anymore, just not as much as before.
Re: The Future Of Programming Language by InfinityFabric: 9:59am On Jul 05, 2020
SegFault:

You understand nagringrin
Hehe yes.
I wanted Rust to be so good, all those zeal converted to weakness now.
People who don't dress smart should never be allowed to design languages.
They'd make it look exactly the way they dress.

I used to like Dlang, but they missed the mark with GC and no way to turn it off. Not a good way to attract C++ devs.
Rust focused to much on Memory safety while making the rest of the language looks like a reverse rape between C++ and Haskel.

At the end of the day, the perfect C++ is C++.

1 Like

Re: The Future Of Programming Language by InfinityFabric: 10:38am On Jul 05, 2020
SegFault:

I am not saying that he could have used Rust, rust is still fresh in the game what I am saying is that many os developers can never agree to use Rust, [b]syntax is too hard [/b]and for all your efforts it's not even a fair competitor with C. C is still used today.
You look like Rust's syntax.
Re: The Future Of Programming Language by hardebayho(m): 1:36pm On Jul 05, 2020
SegFault:

I am not saying that he could have used Rust, rust is still fresh in the game what I am saying is that many os developers can never agree to use Rust, syntax is too hard and for all your efforts it's not even a fair competitor with C. C is still used today.

Wait ooo. Because of this thread, I had to go check out Rust. I even downloaded and tested it and I must admit, it's really addictive. I've not gone too far with it so I cannot say that their syntax is difficult to learn/use. What I do know, is that it's extremely easy to get started with using and learning Rust compared to C or C++. Once you install it, tutorial, book, documentation and everything else follows... For me this is an invaluable tool in my arsenal compared to C that doesn't even have a standard approved website for documentation or anything like that. I know for sure that Rust cannot beat C though. It's just not feasible
Re: The Future Of Programming Language by Sulele04(m): 3:44pm On Jul 05, 2020
hardebayho:

Wait ooo. Because of this thread, I had to go check out Rust. I even downloaded and tested it and I must admit, it's really addictive. I've not gone too far with it so I cannot say that their syntax is difficult to learn/use. What I do know, is that it's extremely easy to get started with using and learning Rust compared to C or C++. Once you install it, tutorial, book, documentation and everything else follows... For me this is an invaluable tool in my arsenal compared to C that doesn't even have a standard approved website for documentation or anything like that. I know for sure that Rust cannot beat C though. It's just not feasible

when you start developing application in rust, you will know that it is more than feasible.
the day i used the rocket framework to create web app was the day i knew cpp days are numbered

1 Like

Re: The Future Of Programming Language by Savagethe21st(m): 8:31pm On Jul 05, 2020
Sulele04:
systems programming: rust will replace c++ it is just a matter of time. If you want to pursue a career at this field start learning rust but dont dump cpp because rust will be the new cpp while cpp will be the new assembly.
application programming : to be an all round expert at providing end user application.learn kotlin, java,swift and javascript. If you master these languages the sky is the limit for you when it comes to application development.
worthy mentions:
blockchain programming: learn solidity it is the way forward.
data science:learn julia or r it is the way forward
machine learning and ai: haskell and lisp are the way forward
game programming: c++(unreal engine,unity) is still the king of this area, but i forsee rust dethroning it.

python is not a language for the future it is simply to slow, also whltespaces python is good at readability but is very difficult to maintain. Except some drastically changes happen to pvm i dont see that changing.

feel free to add.
in an application quiz game would it require unity? And cpp?
Re: The Future Of Programming Language by Savagethe21st(m): 8:33pm On Jul 05, 2020
Coder2Client:
Sorry, are you an expert in all of these languages or you just copied and pasted what other have said on other forums?
bro I heard WhatsApp and telegram Are nonprofit bcus of no adds...I heard pulov maintains telegram with 1mil a month. How den do they get money to maintain it and why does it cost so much
Re: The Future Of Programming Language by Sulele04(m): 8:36pm On Jul 05, 2020
Savagethe21st:
in an application quiz game would it require unity? And cpp?
not necessary. You can use a simple gui framework in your prefered language c# or cpp for this .
Re: The Future Of Programming Language by moneygram(m): 9:44pm On Oct 14, 2020
I want to learn solidity for blockchain programming, who can help on that.
Re: The Future Of Programming Language by logicDcoder(m): 10:04am On Oct 15, 2020
Taofeekdboy:

Though everyone is opinionated but for the second paragraph saying python is not a language of the future is what I can disagree on.
Python has been topping the list of the best programming languages for years and still revelant and hotcake in tech industry till this moment. Though, some people do say it is very slow but I don't think it is totally true because every language has its weakness and strength.
C++, Java and the likes all have their weaknesses. Java is not secured but that doesn't make it not suitable.
I have been using python for web development,
Machine learning and so far I haven't encountered its slowness on web development.
Maybe desktop applications or mobile app development but it does not make it a language not for the future.

U talk java is not secured? Lies from the pit of hell, why is it used for enterprise development if it's not secured. Banks, schools and other finance institutions use java because it's one of the most secured language out there.

1 Like

Re: The Future Of Programming Language by Predstan: 7:12am On Oct 25, 2020
Python isn’t for the future. I beg to disagree. We shouldn’t limit technology to web development and mobile app please. In fact technology is completely beyond web app and mobile app. YouTube was written in python for your information and python has opened the Artificial intelligence and Nerual net field to more potentials. Tensorflow was written in Python, Cpp and CUdA and more python for a reason. Quantum computing is in fact mostly done in python for a reason.
Re: The Future Of Programming Language by LienwaltAbel(m): 12:00pm On Oct 19, 2022
hardebayho:

Its not like Linus could've used Rust to create Linux na. I mean, Linux has been existence WAY before rust. I don't think rust is faster than C though. I think it might have a chance against C++. C is like their grandfather or something
grin this aged quite grin. Rust is now used for Linux kernel development, and system76 (the maintainers of the pop! Os distro) want to create a DE based on Rust.
Re: The Future Of Programming Language by LienwaltAbel(m): 12:03pm On Oct 19, 2022
Sulele04:

when you start developing application in rust, you will know that it is more than feasible.
the day i used the rocket framework to create web app was the day i knew cpp days are numbered
It isn't feasible that Rust will replace C/C++ because billions of lines of code have been written in C and C++. No sane person is willing to start reworking all of that because of some fancy Programming language we aren't sure of.
Re: The Future Of Programming Language by qtguru(m): 12:40pm On Oct 19, 2022
LienwaltAbel:

grin this aged quite grin. Rust is now used for Linux kernel development, and system76 (the maintainers of the pop! Os distro) want to create a DE based on Rust.

Yeah even in Android, you can now use Rust to communicate with Native API. What makes everyone swear by Rust?
Re: The Future Of Programming Language by LienwaltAbel(m): 5:08pm On Oct 20, 2022
qtguru:

Yeah even in Android, you can now use Rust to communicate with Native API. What makes everyone swear by Rust?
Not actually everyone though, it introduced memory safety and is strict unlike C.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Top 10 Programming Languages To Learn / Hi, Can Anyone Teach Me Visual Basic 6.0 / Should I Go 4 Oracle or software engineering

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.