Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,744 members, 7,817,056 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:40 AM

Where Is Our Ibo Presidential Candidate? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Where Is Our Ibo Presidential Candidate? (2978 Views)

Will Ibos Vote For An Apc Ibo Presidential Candidate In 2023? / Presidential Candidate: Nigerians’ll Help Us Choose Among Saraki, Tambuwal, Atik / 2019: PDP’s Presidential Candidate To Emerge September 30 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Where Is Our Ibo Presidential Candidate? by MetaPhysical: 7:03am On Jul 04, 2020
Ok, so straight and direct to the point, this morning I am going to write about political fortune...or misfortune....of Ibos in Nigeria, with its impacts for 2023.

Good morning my people!

First and foremost, let us acknowledge the Yorubas and their gratuitous influence in modelling, shaping and uplifting Ibos in the political history of Nigeria. I say this because in the history of political activism in Nigeria and partisan politicking, Yoruba is the vanguard of social and economic progress in this Nation, whether in the 1800s, the 1900s or the 2000s. Colonialism came to Nigeria through the bombardment of Lagos in the war of agidingbi in 1851. By 1951 Lagos had become the hotbed of political activism and a host to many economic migrants who had come to Lagos to earn a living. Many of them later followed in the footsteps of Yoruba activists who pioneered liberty forums and political action groups that demanded representation in the administration of government. Migrants created ethnic social groups to represent their town affairs in Lagos. Towards independence, many of them ended joining political platforms pioneered by Yorubas. One of such examples is the entry of Ibo town union into NCNC, which was created by Herbert Macauley, a Yoruba. The entry was facilitated by Nnamdi Azikiwe, an Ibo, who later joined NCNC and succeeded Herbertt Macauley after death. On becoming its President Nnamdi Azikiwe turned the erstwhile national party into an Ibo party. Hence the first political party in East was NCNC. Prior to NCNC Ibo had never formed a political platform party for government representation. Their successes in NCNC, while it lasted, is owed to the pioneering work of Yoruba political activism in Lagos and Ibadan. When Yorubas in NCNC realized that their party had lost its nationalism under Azikiwe, and had progressively been turned into an Ibo party they departed, one after the other. Soon after Yoruba departure from NCNC its fortunes changed, the party withered, and could no longer secure the many successes it had before. NCNC became a subordinate partner to NPC, with whom it went into alliance to form government. This was reflected symbolically in the position given to Azikiwe as President of Nigeria, while NPC man, Balewa, held the reins of power in the Pime Ministership.

After the war, in 1979, Azikiwe returned with a new party called NPP. The party came third behind NPN in popular and electoral votes. UPN, a Yoruba party, scored the highest count. NPP had a struggle winning in its own region in East, whereas the Yoruba UPN won every state in West and Bendel and many legislative seats across the nation. UPN victory was challenged in court that its win was not spread across the nation, hence the case of 2/3rd coverage. UPN victory at the polls was overturned and NPN was declared winner. Immediately after, Azikiwe announced a alliance with NPN. Thus NPN/NPP formed ruling government while UPN was opposition government. Inspite of the experience as a ruling government twice, East had nothing to show before or after. Meanwhile Yoruba was the opposition party in both the first and second republic and it was very successful in establishing many social programs and developments in West. One of its legacies that survived till today and doing extremely well is Oodua Investment Corporation. The participation of Ibo in rulership in first and second republic was a misfortune because Ibo gained nothing out of it beside symbolism. North built an oil refinery, created a Northern Development Corporation, created newsprint, and many other tangible assets. Till today East has no development corporation, whether govt sponsored like in North or self-sponsored like in West. While North developed industrial complexes in Kaduna and Kano, and West created industrial townships in its region, the only prominent industrial complex in East was located in Port Harcourt. What has Ibo gained in its political partnership with North in our first two republics? Symbolism. thats all...and even that symbolism was subordinated to North as the default ruler.

Since we started this new phase beginning 1999, PDP has enjoyed unwavering and committed loyalty and surrogateship from Ibo. Yet it continues year after year to secure Ibo alliance and guarantees without offering any substantial gain in return. When is PDP going to make an Ibo the uncontested candidate in a presidential election? By uncontested I mean there will be no primary held. Unanimously declare an Iboman the PDP flag bearer.

I must say that Ibo people themselves are not political jet-setters. If they were the ongoing events in Edo State will play out differently. I must highlight this with precision.

It is obvious that Atiku has been overbearing in PDP. He has activated political groups, he has dispatched PDP governors to engage and bring success to Edo. So we can say Atiku is the helmsman in PDP. Well, in comparison, Atiku has not given to PDP half of what Ibo has committed in money, time, sacrifice. Atiku has not shown interest in 2023 race and he has not endorsed the Ibo aspiration for the position....in fact he has been silent on the matter. So why is Atiku so passionate about Edo win for PDP? Because it adds credit to his sagacity and reinforces belief in his capacity as party leader....a father! If Ibo people are sincere about 2023 presidency, Edo should be their battle...a testing ground. An Iboman should be the one directing affairs of what must happen to get victory for Obaseki. The more PDP wins in SS, SE, the better the chance of an Iboman winning 2023, therefore Ibo has a far more burden of success to win it for PDP than Atiku does. Atiku has defected between parties so many times there is no assurance he will not again defect if he sees better opportunity elsewhere.

Atiku, a Fulani, is at the helm of a party largely cemented with commitments in East, and eyeing forward to a nomination that rightly belongs in South and to the Ibos, meanwhile in APC, Tinubu is also at the helm of affairs. Where is Ibo helmsman, and what party is he leading? We can't find him!

So tell me how an Iboman is going to be candidate for PDP or APC in 2023 when Atiku is already showing moves for PDP in Edo and Tinubu is receiving visiting APC caretaker committees freshly appointed by the president. Where is Iboman?

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Where Is Our Ibo Presidential Candidate? by Ezennwa(m): 7:07am On Jul 04, 2020
hmm!

This Topic is inconsequential

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Where Is Our Ibo Presidential Candidate? by Macphenson: 7:08am On Jul 04, 2020
OUK 2023. so up till now you cannot see the signs?

You are even more myopic than I thought.

6 Likes

Re: Where Is Our Ibo Presidential Candidate? by MetaPhysical: 7:20am On Jul 04, 2020
Macphenson:

I didn't know you have settled on dan baiwa of Katsina as your candidate.

So share with us what he is doing politically since return from prison.

15 Likes

Re: Where Is Our Ibo Presidential Candidate? by MASTERCHIEF0847(m): 7:22am On Jul 04, 2020
This is a well packaged piece of garbage written by a bigoted and unintelligent mind.
It is too early in the morning for this.

18 Likes

Re: Where Is Our Ibo Presidential Candidate? by Macphenson: 7:27am On Jul 04, 2020
MetaPhysical:

Hahahahaha, I don't even like him as a person, he looted Abia state dry, I would have loved him to still be in prison to serve as a deterrent to others.

But that's my wish and not reality.

The reality here is, OUK is their boy. If he becomes president today, he will protect the Northerners interest more than the Igbos.

First the way he was released from prison, that's unprecedented.

Have you not been seeing the series of visits from across board ever since he came out of prison. Ordinaryly nobody will want to identify with him as he is out from prison, but unfortunately the reverse is the case here.

I was even surprised when Kwankwaso visited him too.

In Nigeria, nothing just happens.

4 Likes

Re: Where Is Our Ibo Presidential Candidate? by MetaPhysical: 7:32am On Jul 04, 2020
Mac,
Kwankwaso is looking for a gap in the wall. He is not the only one, many Northerners are already courting Southern potentials for nomination as a potential VP candidate. Kwankwaso would already have visited many such eligible candidates and canvass for interest. This is normal!
Re: Where Is Our Ibo Presidential Candidate? by History555: 7:33am On Jul 04, 2020
You woke up this morning to write about lgbos. That's nice, it shows that you had nightmares about lgbos. I am glad we tormented you in your dreams. Make sure to invite your friends bulleye, minority report, johnmartus they are also been tormented by lgbos

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Where Is Our Ibo Presidential Candidate? by flyingpig: 7:41am On Jul 04, 2020
MetaPhysical:
Mac,
Kwankwaso is looking for a gap in the wall. He is not the only one, many Northerners are already courting Southern potentials for nomination as a potential VP candidate. Kwankwaso would already have visited many such eligible candidates and canvass for interest. This is normal!

I even read secretary to federal government in person of boss mustapha in company of Senate President ahmad lawal and gbajabiamila visited him yesterday too.

If Abba Kyari were alive, he would have visited orji today
Re: Where Is Our Ibo Presidential Candidate? by murphyibiam15(m): 7:45am On Jul 04, 2020
Macphenson:

Ogbonnaya ọnụ is the only Igbo politician that has enough requirements for the presidency.. OUK is a looter that looted his state dry and many people of South East extraction hate that.

Ọnụ has the integrity and the first class brain

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Where Is Our Ibo Presidential Candidate? by tysontim(m): 7:46am On Jul 04, 2020
Hmm
Re: Where Is Our Ibo Presidential Candidate? by conductor263: 7:46am On Jul 04, 2020
Yo.roba man always worried about Igbo affairs. You will get high BP this boy cheesy

7 Likes

Re: Where Is Our Ibo Presidential Candidate? by MetaPhysical: 7:50am On Jul 04, 2020
flyingpig:

I even read secretary to federal government in person of boss mustapha in company of Senate President ahmad lawal and gbajabiamila visited him yesterday too.

If Abba Kyari were alive, he would have visited orji today

He should be more visible. When all the big people gather at functions I want to see Kalu there representing Igbo, in isiagu and red cap and wrapper....not in Yoruba clothe or hausa cloth. This is how he will put Igbo on the political map.

4 Likes

Re: Where Is Our Ibo Presidential Candidate? by MetaPhysical: 7:50am On Jul 04, 2020
conductor263:
Yo.roba man always worried about Igbo affairs. You will get high BP this boy cheesy

Get lost! yeye thing. angry

10 Likes

Re: Where Is Our Ibo Presidential Candidate? by MetaPhysical: 7:52am On Jul 04, 2020
murphyibiam15:

Ogbonnaya ọnụ is the only Igbo politician that has enough requirements for the presidency.. OUK is a loiter that looted his state dry and many people of South East extraction hate that.

What political bloc does he have? Can he win 25% in 2/3rd of 36 states?

11 Likes

Re: Where Is Our Ibo Presidential Candidate? by helinues: 7:52am On Jul 04, 2020
Who dash monkey banana no be just slang..

For the fact that the banana tree is slippery for monkey to climb, when you see Banana for Monkeys hand, it either it fell from the tree or they gave him..

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Where Is Our Ibo Presidential Candidate? by murphyibiam15(m): 7:54am On Jul 04, 2020
MetaPhysical:

What political bloc does he have? Can he win 25% in 2/3rd of 36 states?
You should have known by now how politics in Nigeria is played.. Yar'adua sabi anyone when he came out? His party will build on his integrity just like Buhari and win the elections, he will be packaged and presented to all and campaign period is the time for all u asked and that's the reason for campaign.. Ọnụ is the man for the presidency cool

4 Likes

Re: Where Is Our Ibo Presidential Candidate? by nemynely(m): 7:55am On Jul 04, 2020
So long as the entity known as Nigeria remains, NO PRESIDENT OF IBO EXTRACTION WILL EVER RULE.
This is not to be mistaken as a curse, but rather as a statement of fact.
Ibos should focus more on themselves and their proposed secession. First, they must show signs of good faith by showing love to themselves, alienating all forms of condescension from their hearts eg the caste system, the notion that the Anambra man is better than the Enugu man etc.
This will in turn rub off on the south south indigenes, endearing the ibos to them. An agreement between SE & SS will give the secession increased attention and seriousness.
The respective governors of the SE must show some faith by being shepherds and not rulers, thereby putting the welfare of their citizens and state above and beyond their usual selfishness and personal aggrandizement.

All of these are just the first steps to unlocking the glory of the lands of the rising sun.

2 Likes

Re: Where Is Our Ibo Presidential Candidate? by flyingpig: 7:56am On Jul 04, 2020
MetaPhysical:

He should be more visible. When all the big people gather at functions I want to see Kalu there representing Igbo, in isiagu and red cap and wrapper....not in Yoruba clothe or hausa cloth. This is how he will put Igbo on the political map.

He is being fronted by the Fulani elites not because he has an Igbo agenda but because he has a nationalistic or a pro-fulani agenda. Orji speaks hausa fluently by the way because he grew up and schooled in Borno state till adult.

North never supports any southerners who fronts his southern ethnic group by way of dressing, or agenda or anything. Ask me why they supported OBJ in 1999 over Falae when the latter is more Yoruba than OBJ.
Re: Where Is Our Ibo Presidential Candidate? by conductor263: 7:57am On Jul 04, 2020
MetaPhysical:

Get lost! yeye thing. angry
E pain am. Oya take one Lateefu cheesy
Re: Where Is Our Ibo Presidential Candidate? by Sammy07: 8:00am On Jul 04, 2020
You've killed this people with History cheesy

13 Likes

Re: Where Is Our Ibo Presidential Candidate? by IamWonderful: 8:01am On Jul 04, 2020
Busy on the street strategizing how to devour our economy and turn his tribe to ndi ayoyo

2 Likes

Re: Where Is Our Ibo Presidential Candidate? by Macphenson: 8:02am On Jul 04, 2020
murphyibiam15:

Ogbonnaya ọnụ is the only Igbo politician that has enough requirements for the presidency.. OUK is a loiter that looted his state dry and many people of South East extraction hate that.

You are absolutely right. Onu has integrity, a first class material, a perfect gentleman, an astute politician, he has my respect anyway anytime.

But unfortunately politics in Nigeria is so messy, it's a congregation of vultures, will the vultures really settle for ONU?

Or will they install another vulture who will easily yield to their wickedness and evil without blinking an eye.

That's the one million dollar question.

3 Likes

Re: Where Is Our Ibo Presidential Candidate? by Sammy07: 8:06am On Jul 04, 2020
murphyibiam15:

Don't worry, he will be made Minister of Finance when Yoruba attained the presidency.

12 Likes

Re: Where Is Our Ibo Presidential Candidate? by Sammy07: 8:15am On Jul 04, 2020
Macphenson:

You are absolutely right. Onu has integrity, a first class material, a perfect gentleman, an astute politician, he has my respect anyway anytime.

But unfortunately politics in Nigeria is so messy, it's a congregation of vultures, will the vultures really settle for ONU?

Or will they install another vulture who will easily yield to their wickedness and evil without blinking an eye.

That's the one million dollar question.

Don't worry, he will be made Minister of Finance when Yoruba attained the presidency.

5 Likes

Re: Where Is Our Ibo Presidential Candidate? by Nobody: 8:19am On Jul 04, 2020
MetaPhysical:

Who is the Yoruba candidate ? ..what's your issues with igbos ?

1 Like

Re: Where Is Our Ibo Presidential Candidate? by Macphenson: 8:20am On Jul 04, 2020
Sammy07:

Hmmmm, okooo,since yorubas won't stop in their greedy quest, North Ti take over.

1 Like

Re: Where Is Our Ibo Presidential Candidate? by Nobody: 8:20am On Jul 04, 2020
MetaPhysical:

U are the one that would tell him how to play politics ?
Have any Yoruba declared interest to run even ?
Re: Where Is Our Ibo Presidential Candidate? by Sammy07: 8:24am On Jul 04, 2020
Macphenson:

Hmmmm, okooo,since yorubas won't stop in their greedy quest, North Ti take over.

Ehn no wahala nah.
Shey nah we dey create threads up and down about IMO gas?

Or nah we dey cry of being neglected by the governments?

Are we the one crying that no single federal project / presence our regions?

Abeq, I wish the north to take over too cool

Let's see who'll loose. wink

6 Likes

Re: Where Is Our Ibo Presidential Candidate? by Sammy07: 8:30am On Jul 04, 2020
Yorubas they try Abeq cool

They're successful in politics

They're successful in being opposition (not being in government for so many years)

6 Likes

Re: Where Is Our Ibo Presidential Candidate? by Ezemust: 8:35am On Jul 04, 2020
nemynely:
So long as the entity known as Nigeria remains, NO PRESIDENT OF IBO EXTRACTION WILL EVER RULE.
This is not to be mistaken as a curse, but rather as a statement of fact.
Ibos should focus more on themselves and their proposed secession. First, they must show signs of good faith by showing love to themselves, alienating all forms of condescension from their hearts eg the caste system, the notion that the Anambra man is better than the Enugu man etc.
This will in turn rub off on the south south indigenes, endearing the ibos to them. An agreement between SE & SS will give the secession increased attention and seriousness.
The respective governors of the SE must show some faith by being shepherds and not rulers, thereby putting the welfare of their citizens and state above and beyond their usual selfishness and personal aggrandizement.

All of these are just the first steps to unlocking the glory of the lands of the rising sun.
what will happen to u the day an igbo man rule Nigeria?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Video Of Bola Tinubu Being Chased From France 21/10/2020 / What Babangida Said About Buhari In 1985 - New York Times / Reno Omokri Reveals The Reason Why Naira Is Crashing Against Dollar

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.