Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,441 members, 7,819,632 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:32 PM

Joke Bakare: Saying No And Helping Rape Victims - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Joke Bakare: Saying No And Helping Rape Victims (15711 Views)

Why Do Rape Victims, Struggle With Rapists / Male Rape Victims, What's Your Story? / Why Rape Victims Should Not Take Their Bath Immediately After – Police (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Joke Bakare: Saying No And Helping Rape Victims by Qtsnow(m): 9:21pm On Jul 04, 2020
*It is important that while we ask women and girls to speak up, we are always ready to listen and help - Medplus MD, Joke Bakare*

The recent news making the rounds concerning the rape, assault, molestation, and murder of young Nigerian women as young as nine years old is overwhelming for any woman. Uwa, Tina, Jennifer, Barakat represent the limits that exist around women and the restrictions we must place on ourselves just to be considered worthy of humanity.

As a woman, a mother to a daughter, a daughter, a friend to other women, a human being and a concerned member of society; I am tired of the unthinkable ordeals women have had to endure for either going to read in a church, paying a friendly visit,  saying NO or simply existing.  This news has hit home in a very deep way and we cannot continue to endure this injustice.

It is high time to focus our energy, resources, and passion, on this extremely harmful societal strain embedded in entitled men who refuse to see women as whole beings deserving of respect and agency. Men who refuse to take NO for an answer because they have been taught to take without considering the consequences of their actions on whomever they take from. We must actively begin to build the ideology of shifting the blame away from women and to transfer it, without reserve, on the people who have harmed them.

Rape, sexual assault ranks high as some of the prevalent issues plaguing not only the Nigerian socio-cultural space but the entire African continent. The system is so designed to discriminate against women in ways that recommend little to no strenuous punishments for rapists and sex offenders. And this is something that needs to be fixed. Quickly.

Policies, laws, and legislation that grant women speedy, fair justice and support must be put in place. Systems that continue to hold women to insane standards of purity to be able to have their stories believed, must be dismantled and scrapped altogether.

It is important that while we ask women and girls to speak up, we are also ready to listen. We must assure them, that if they have their bodies or freedoms violated, they will be believed, they will find support, kindness, help, possible healing, and most importantly, the perpetrator would be brought to book. And we don’t have to look too far for these systems of support. We, neighbors, siblings, brothers, parents, friends can kick start that system. We can begin by standing by and reassuring our female friends, colleagues, sisters, flat mates, fellow students, or even a stranger who come to share their experience with us.

And as a parent, I am calling on other parents to join hands together and start raising better, kinder, sensitive, respectful, and compassionate boys. We must teach our boy-children to see women as equal and deserving of the same respect as they would give their male counterparts. We must teach our boys to stop seeing women as commodities they are entitled to. We must raise responsible boys who can look past their egos and learn to take no in good stride. To actively curb this deplorable trend of rape we must take it upon ourselves to raise boys who have a heart.

Once again, we can go beyond just saying ‘No’ to rape and rape culture by taking active steps to be there for rape survivors. We can lend our voice to calling for a system that favors survivors and appropriately punishes their perpetrators. We can donate to organizations that work actively to assist survivors, and we must never stop holding perpetrators accountable and.

Today, go beyond saying ‘NO’ and do see if you can do something that would ensure we never have to say  ‘NO’ to rape campaigns in the nearest future.
https://ynaija.com/it-is-important-that-while-we-ask-women-and-girls-to-speak-up-we-are-always-ready-to-listen-and-help-medplus-md-joke-bakare/

8 Likes

Re: Joke Bakare: Saying No And Helping Rape Victims by Nobody: 5:13am On Jul 05, 2020
Say NO to Rape
Say YES to Justice

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Joke Bakare: Saying No And Helping Rape Victims by ikson(m): 5:13am On Jul 05, 2020
Why
Re: Joke Bakare: Saying No And Helping Rape Victims by Openbusiness3: 5:14am On Jul 05, 2020
Hmmmmmmm
Re: Joke Bakare: Saying No And Helping Rape Victims by Nobody: 5:15am On Jul 05, 2020
stevmatt15:
Say NO to Rape
Say YES to Justice

What about those wrongfully accused

26 Likes

Re: Joke Bakare: Saying No And Helping Rape Victims by Nobody: 5:16am On Jul 05, 2020
Ashaka66:

Say YES to their Justice.

29 Likes

Re: Joke Bakare: Saying No And Helping Rape Victims by watchinggale: 5:18am On Jul 05, 2020
guys, haven't you all noticed this rape cases keeps increasing, Say NO to Rape

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Joke Bakare: Saying No And Helping Rape Victims by OkikiOluwa1(m): 5:22am On Jul 05, 2020
Rape cases should also be reported early.
When it's delayed, it losses credibility especially when there's no concrete evidence.
When rape cases are confirmed, capital punishment like cutting off the penni s or sealing or damaging the vagin a or anu s is vital cos females too rape males.
And ladies should be encouraged in learning self defense while we teach our boys how to be a gentleman & not a rapist or rogue
Last Bullet: Religious leaders should discourage underage marriage. It's one of the things that aids rape.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Joke Bakare: Saying No And Helping Rape Victims by sirelliotofafri: 5:25am On Jul 05, 2020
I don't support rape,as much as I don't support false accusations.
Just as rape can traumatise its victim,false accusations can also traumatise its victim.

When you say NO to rape,be kind enough to say NO to false accusations.
Qtsnow:

https://ynaija.com/it-is-important-that-while-we-ask-women-and-girls-to-speak-up-we-are-always-ready-to-listen-and-help-medplus-md-joke-bakare/

13 Likes

Re: Joke Bakare: Saying No And Helping Rape Victims by OnyeObodo: 5:32am On Jul 05, 2020
Madam shut up jare

As you have decided to raise simps that will see women as "valuables" and not as commodities, I do hope you also raise girls that see men as equals in financial expenditures and not as ATMS.

Because it wouldn't make sense to brainwash a boy child to become a societal walkover for girls but ignore same girls that see men as thrash they can use and dump anyhow.

Who will speak up for all the men being abused in their homes right now?

By the way, I find it quite hypocritical that some people come online to start forming philanthropists and compassionate souls.

Madam within your estate in Lagos, there are so many young girls being abused daily. There are so many young girls out of school and being used as house helps. What have you done about them to make sure they are not exposed to the ills of rape and molestation?

37 Likes

Re: Joke Bakare: Saying No And Helping Rape Victims by Queenslander(f): 5:35am On Jul 05, 2020
OnyeObodo:
Madam shut up jare
It is you who should shut up!! undecided

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Joke Bakare: Saying No And Helping Rape Victims by sowilli: 5:36am On Jul 05, 2020
The reason why rape cases look like a joke and not taken as seriously as should be is because it is always about the opposite sex but the reality is rape is not about the opposite sex. It’s about both genders. Imagine if the word men was replaced with individual or persons in that write up. It passes a different message. We have seen women falsely come out to accuse men of rape because the General is only a man can rape a woman. The definition of rape should be changed from forceful penetration into something that considers both sexes. For movements against rape to gain more momentum and effect, the message should be passed in a way one gender isn’t classified as victim always and the other perpetrator.

27 Likes

Re: Joke Bakare: Saying No And Helping Rape Victims by OnyeObodo: 5:36am On Jul 05, 2020
Queenslander:
Is it you who should shut up!! undecided

Lol. I have gone through your profile and I know you are a man claiming to be a lady. grin grin

You can only deceive same simp men being spoken about here with that your tolotolo make up and not me the agbogidi of Yorubaland.

You signed up this account a week ago and you follow questionable monikers from xvideos to geebite.

Small Hushpuppi undecided undecided undecided

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Joke Bakare: Saying No And Helping Rape Victims by pablotini: 5:44am On Jul 05, 2020
well said
Re: Joke Bakare: Saying No And Helping Rape Victims by opalu: 5:48am On Jul 05, 2020
Yes
Re: Joke Bakare: Saying No And Helping Rape Victims by Openbusiness3: 5:49am On Jul 05, 2020
watchinggale:
guys, haven't you all noticed this rape cases keeps increasing, Say NO to Rape
Rape cases aren't increasing. It is "rape reporting" that is increasing. If anything rape is reducing in my opinion because sex has gotten sooooo cheap in the world now, unlike before.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Joke Bakare: Saying No And Helping Rape Victims by Opexzy: 5:50am On Jul 05, 2020
OnyeObodo:
Madam shut up jare

As you have decided to raise simps that will see women as "valuables" and not as commodities, I do hope you also raise girls that see men as equals in financial expenditures and not as ATMS.

Because it wouldn't make sense to brainwash a boy child to become a societal walkover for girls but ignore same girls that see men as thrash they can use and dump anyhow.

By the way, I find it quite hypocritical that some people come online to start forming philanthropists and compassionate souls.

Madam within your estate in Lagos, there are so many young girls being abused daily. There are so many young girls out of school and being used as house helps. What have you done about them to make sure they are not exposed to the ills of rape and molestation?

You sound like a rapist if you think raising a child not to forcefully have sex with someone is tantamount to raising them to be a simp. it's better you desist now because it will never end well for you.

13 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Joke Bakare: Saying No And Helping Rape Victims by xelly: 5:54am On Jul 05, 2020
I hate rape. No one should rape another. A girl, woman a boy or a man no one deserve to be raped.

The question is, why do ladies prefer to appear nude? Go round the city, you will see naked people walking round. I am 101% sure they do that to seduce a man. Maybe a targeted guy but in most case the wrong guy gets seduced and when he falls, it becomes a rape.

I have seen people dressed that their entire pussy is shown to the public, some their breast will be all out, some wangle their ass to cause commotion. As a people, it is not the best thing to demonise rape without addressing some of the causes. A known cause. On this same Internet, we have seen horse shoes as they call it. Action in a place could trigger reaction in another place. It is a known fact that people take advantage where they have strenght (Child rape)

I move a motion that indecent dressing should be a punishable offence. Those sharing nude pictures should be traced and punished either by fine 500k and above or 3 years imprisonment.

Any one found producing, promoting or sharing any form of sexual content should be punished.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Joke Bakare: Saying No And Helping Rape Victims by MANNABBQGRILLS: 6:01am On Jul 05, 2020
The girl in Jigawa that experienced rape at the hands of 11 men on different occasions; did not do anything wrong. She did not dress in a revealing manner. In fact, she is just a 12-year-old girl. To those people looking for a reason to blame the victim, sorry, she did nothing wrong.

Furthermore, the gruesome rape and murder of Uwaila Omozuwa in a church shows that no place is indeed safe. No one can blame her for being at the wrong place. No one can blame for going to ‘his’ place at night. She was reading in a church. A place of refuge, a place she felt most secured. However, she underestimated the fact that a beast was lurking around. So sad.

The dastardly rape and brutal murder of Uwa has invalidated all claims and views about rape. How could she have prevented what happened?

If her parent had called that day and she told them she was reading in a church; they would have had no reason to be concerned. However, they got the worst news a parent could ever get. ‘Your daughter is dead, raped and killed in a bloody church.’

A girl/woman is constantly vulnerable to rape. As a toddler, she is at risk of rape from people most trusted by her parents. At the risk of family members or relatives raping her. In school, her teacher could be a beast in human form. Even her friend’s or boyfriend’s place is also a dangerous place?

So where is safe for her?

The truth is that a girl/woman should not be in constant fear. Everywhere and every place should be safe for her. She is not responsible for caging those perverts. That’s the job of society.

Maybe all men are potential rapists that need to undergo some sort of therapy. We owe it to our daughters, wives, and mothers to immediately commence a national awareness on rape. Organize therapy sessions to purge traits of rape in everyman.

Because the animals that perpetrate rape are not products of immaculate conception. Indeed, they are born by women, perhaps have female siblings, and maybe even female children (Lord have mercy).

Rape is indeed a pandemic, a never-ending pandemic.
According to a National Survey carried out in 2014 on Violence Against Children in Nigeria; it was confirmed that one in four females reported experiencing sexual violence in childhood; with approximately 70% reporting more than one incident of sexual violence.
In the same study, it was found that 24.8% of females aged 18 to 24 years experienced sexual abuse; prior to age 18 of which 5.0% sought help, with only 3.5% receiving any services.

These statistics are grim enough. Unfortunately, rape is under-reported. People, due to stigmatization don’t want to report rape. We have a justice system that makes reporting rape seems like adding extra burden on the victim. The same police that victims are supposed to report to allegedly raped sex workers with sachet water nylon in Abuja not too long ago.

Even at that, there is a need to have a system that can guarantee justice; for both the accused and the victim without destroying both in the process.

I understand that there is a national outrage in the wake of the sad incident involving Uwa. People are angry. Personally, I am livid. But the anger should be directed at creating a solution. Changing the existing legislation, awareness on rape and most importantly; everyone needs to create that safe environment for girls/women.

If you hear a troubling sound from your neighbour, knock on that door and ask questions. If you see a man or a boy getting too cozy with a little girl; poke your nose in the matter. In fact, your little “amebo” could help prevent rape or molestation.

Parents, take time to talk to your sons and male wards that a girl’s body is her absolute right with her total discretion on whom and when to give. Consent is hers to give and withdraw at will. In fact, she can give at first round and withdraw it at second. More so, she has the right to withdraw such consent in the middle of the action.

Also, parents, you should be your daughters’ confidant. Let her be able to talk to you. Father, sex talk with your daughter is not gross. Let her be able to talk to you.

There is nothing like settling it within the family. If punishing perpetrators of rape would shatter the family, then let it be. If the animal had thought about the family, he would not have done it.

As tempting as it is to talk about rape and molestation of boys also, I will refrain from it. Today is all about girls and women. The only hope would be that we would not have to wait until tragedy strikes again; before raising a voice.

False rape accusation

Creating a rape-free society as elucidated earlier involves getting everyone behind it. Most importantly men, not just because the main transgressors are of our gender. But because the victims are our siblings, mothers and children.

Also, we are vulnerable to false accusations. Creating a better justice system that will guarantee justice for victims in rape cases; will also help people facing false accusations.

This is not just a time for rage. It is a time to work in creating that system which works for all victims. The lack of a reliable system has made people turn to social media for settling or seeking justice on rape-related cases.

However, social media has shown that it is not equipped for the endeavour. As a court of opinion, yes, but a court of justice, no.

It is in everyone’s best interest to create a safe environment for our girls and women. But most importantly, on the rare occasion that some beat the safety net; there should be a place for swift and fair justice.

S.O.

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Joke Bakare: Saying No And Helping Rape Victims by olu77(m): 6:18am On Jul 05, 2020
Capital NO to rape
Re: Joke Bakare: Saying No And Helping Rape Victims by GlorifiedTunde(m): 6:20am On Jul 05, 2020
All these explanations won't lead to anything until rapists are sentenced to death and killed accordingly!

But I won't be surprised these legislators won't do that, because some/many of them are culprits.

Capital punishment for rapists and false accusers, otherwise this barbaric acts continues!

Also, I noticed the boy child is now gaining more attention. I have said this as far back as five years ago that the public needs to also care about the boy child, neglecting them will result into an imbalance that will still affect the "empowered" girl child in the future.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Joke Bakare: Saying No And Helping Rape Victims by Queenslander(f): 6:21am On Jul 05, 2020
OnyeObodo:

Lol. I have gone through your profile and I know you are a man claiming to be a lady. grin grin

You can only deceive same simp men being spoken about here with that your tolotolo make up and not me the agbogidi of Yorubaland.

You signed up this account a week ago and you follow questionable monikers from xvideos to geebite.

Small Hushpuppi undecided undecided undecided
Oh please, you can say whatever you like.. I'm not going to go into a battle of wits with you.. As you've set aside this special time to humiliate yourself in public. you're obviously having delusions of competence.. Next!!

2 Likes

Re: Joke Bakare: Saying No And Helping Rape Victims by LeonMacJames(m): 6:25am On Jul 05, 2020
OnyeObodo:
Madam shut up jare

Who or what is stopping you from speaking up for / defending abused men?
What action have you done/can you do to educate people on this thing you just said?
How many girls in particular have you educated against using men as ATMs?
How many individuals have you enabled / empowered to be beneficial to society?

What exactly do you do asides attempting and failing to silence people that are making voluntary moves towards a positive impact on society?

Do you even know what a Simp means?

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Joke Bakare: Saying No And Helping Rape Victims by uniqueboi1(m): 6:57am On Jul 05, 2020
Guys that rape please stop raping!!!

I don't know that woman but I hate people like her undecided they are the ones that confuse people's wives to leave their homes.
Re: Joke Bakare: Saying No And Helping Rape Victims by mimimile93: 6:58am On Jul 05, 2020
Say NO to false rape accusation

1 Like

Re: Joke Bakare: Saying No And Helping Rape Victims by martowskin1(m): 7:05am On Jul 05, 2020
post=91390364:

The girl in Jigawa that experienced rape at the hands of 11 men on different occasions; did not do anything wrong. She did not dress in a revealing manner. In fact, she is just a 12-year-old girl. To those people looking for a reason to blame the victim, sorry, she did nothing wrong.

Furthermore, the gruesome rape and murder of Uwaila Omozuwa in a church shows that no place is indeed safe. No one can blame her for being at the wrong place. No one can blame for going to ‘his’ place at night. She was reading in a church. A place of refuge, a place she felt most secured. However, she underestimated the fact that a beast was lurking around. So sad.

The dastardly rape and brutal murder of Uwa has invalidated all claims and views about rape. How could she have prevented what happened?

If her parent had called that day and she told them she was reading in a church; they would have had no reason to be concerned. However, they got the worst news a parent could ever get. ‘Your daughter is dead, raped and killed in a bloody church.’

A girl/woman is constantly vulnerable to rape. As a toddler, she is at risk of rape from people most trusted by her parents. At the risk of family members or relatives raping her. In school, her teacher could be a beast in human form. Even her friend’s or boyfriend’s place is also a dangerous place?

So where is safe for her?

The truth is that a girl/woman should not be in constant fear. Everywhere and every place should be safe for her. She is not responsible for caging those perverts. That’s the job of society.

Maybe all men are potential rapists that need to undergo some sort of therapy. We owe it to our daughters, wives, and mothers to immediately commence a national awareness on rape. Organize therapy sessions to purge traits of rape in everyman.

Because the animals that perpetrate rape are not products of immaculate conception. Indeed, they are born by women, perhaps have female siblings, and maybe even female children (Lord have mercy).

Rape is indeed a pandemic, a never-ending pandemic.
According to a National Survey carried out in 2014 on Violence Against Children in Nigeria; it was confirmed that one in four females reported experiencing sexual violence in childhood; with approximately 70% reporting more than one incident of sexual violence.
In the same study, it was found that 24.8% of females aged 18 to 24 years experienced sexual abuse; prior to age 18 of which 5.0% sought help, with only 3.5% receiving any services.

These statistics are grim enough. Unfortunately, rape is under-reported. People, due to stigmatization don’t want to report rape. We have a justice system that makes reporting rape seems like adding extra burden on the victim. The same police that victims are supposed to report to allegedly raped sex workers with sachet water nylon in Abuja not too long ago.

Even at that, there is a need to have a system that can guarantee justice; for both the accused and the victim without destroying both in the process.

I understand that there is a national outrage in the wake of the sad incident involving Uwa. People are angry. Personally, I am livid. But the anger should be directed at creating a solution. Changing the existing legislation, awareness on rape and most importantly; everyone needs to create that safe environment for girls/women.

If you hear a troubling sound from your neighbour, knock on that door and ask questions. If you see a man or a boy getting too cozy with a little girl; poke your nose in the matter. In fact, your little “amebo” could help prevent rape or molestation.

Parents, take time to talk to your sons and male wards that a girl’s body is her absolute right with her total discretion on whom and when to give. Consent is hers to give and withdraw at will. In fact, she can give at first round and withdraw it at second. More so, she has the right to withdraw such consent in the middle of the action.

Also, parents, you should be your daughters’ confidant. Let her be able to talk to you. Father, sex talk with your daughter is not gross. Let her be able to talk to you.

There is nothing like settling it within the family. If punishing perpetrators of rape would shatter the family, then let it be. If the animal had thought about the family, he would not have done it.

As tempting as it is to talk about rape and molestation of boys also, I will refrain from it. Today is all about girls and women. The only hope would be that we would not have to wait until tragedy strikes again; before raising a voice.

False rape accusation

Creating a rape-free society as elucidated earlier involves getting everyone behind it. Most importantly men, not just because the main transgressors are of our gender. But because the victims are our siblings, mothers and children.

Also, we are vulnerable to false accusations. Creating a better justice system that will guarantee justice for victims in rape cases; will also help people facing false accusations.

This is not just a time for rage. It is a time to work in creating that system which works for all victims. The lack of a reliable system has made people turn to social media for settling or seeking justice on rape-related cases.

However, social media has shown that it is not equipped for the endeavour. As a court of opinion, yes, but a court of justice, no.

It is in everyone’s best interest to create a safe environment for our girls and women. But most importantly, on the rare occasion that some beat the safety net; there should be a place for swift and fair justice.

S.O.

With all ur plenty write up.

1. You make it look like rape is a one way street. Do you know young boys are been molested by their aunties and mother apprentice on daily basis, this boys grow up without telling anyone, all they see in women is sex. because from their tender age they have been messed up.

There are young boys who aunties and mother friends have forced to give them head by licking their private part, this boys don't even know what they are doing, some are into forced to fingering... Even house help, do a lot to baby boys.

because women are manipulative rapist, you all make rape look like a one way street.

2. Lastly, we all talk and talk, with this ur many write up, u gave no single solution to the problem, you said we should create safe environment for victims, u never said how to create this environment.

Until we start treating rape case like the problem it is and stop making it look like a gender issue we are going no where.

Men are not rapist.... We are not rapist.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Joke Bakare: Saying No And Helping Rape Victims by Sundrus: 7:06am On Jul 05, 2020
Some people just dey naturally bitter...sadists. The thing come multiply as them join social media. Make God heal their souls ooh. As for the topic, people go always use anything take trend. Clout chasers them i hail una.
Re: Joke Bakare: Saying No And Helping Rape Victims by Nobody: 7:10am On Jul 05, 2020
Please let's make this clear that rape is a forceful act of having sexual intercourse with somebody without thier consent (it's physical force)
Not the "verbal" saying "no" while returning deep kiss and willing to have sex in "action" Most girl smile and say no, but they want ***
why will somebody be touching my dic* and by saying "no" or "please stop" with sexy voice without pushing me away or letting me know she's not interested in the intercourse, that is what most girls does e.g seyitan and likes

1 Like

Re: Joke Bakare: Saying No And Helping Rape Victims by Nobody: 7:14am On Jul 05, 2020
Opexzy:

You sound like a rapist if you think raising a child not to forcefully have sex with someone is tantamount to raising them to be a simp. it's better you desist now because it will never end well for you.
is he not correct...
Am not sided, but both this comment and the post needs to be address seriously
Re: Joke Bakare: Saying No And Helping Rape Victims by Nobody: 7:32am On Jul 05, 2020
Ashaka66:

It doesn’t matter weda u are wrongfullly accused or not...once a girl says you raped her, weda there is evidence or not....u must be punished..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Man Who Robbed A Mosque In Niger State Arrested (Photo) / Police Recover Two Year-Old-Boy Sold In Imo For ₦100,000, Arrest Suspects / "I Will Kill Myself" - Nigerian Migrant In Italy Says, Demands House & €50 A Day

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.