Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,387 members, 7,836,559 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 09:51 AM

South Sudan Becomes 54th African State - Foreign Affairs (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / South Sudan Becomes 54th African State (10733 Views)

Sudan president detained in South Africa pending court order / Sudan Captures Vulture With Israeli Spying Device / Chad President Pays $26 Million Dowry Sudan Chick (pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: South Sudan Becomes 54th African State by Nobody: 4:43pm On Feb 03, 2011
BLOOD SHED IS THE ONLY WAY NIGERIA WILL SPLIT and NOT UNTIL THE YOUTHS ARE READY FOR THAT NIGERIA REMAINS NIGERIA -good people bad govt great nation
Re: South Sudan Becomes 54th African State by ShangoThor(m): 4:45pm On Feb 03, 2011
Solozzo:

@ Ozenyen
Absolutely right . Dividing the country is not the solution. It is true democracy that is the answer. If given the right opportunity the people have the capacity to elect leaders that would create change and grow the economy, They may make mistakes iniitially but with time know who best serve their interests,   A good example is Edo state who voted for Igbenidion who turned out to be corrupt and inept. They had been able to make the cnage to Oshiomolie who is currently doing a good job.

But in most states of the country and especially at the Federal level in  Nigeria because of greed and corruption, true democracy is not allowed, and this dminshes the hope for good future for the country

The State and True democracy cannot be fixed or realized with the Boko Haram threat.

See link: https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-597765.0.html : You cannot rationally discuss or explore improvements with people
that will use violence, or serve to undermine the State. (Please enlighten me about this point if you can)

Political anomalies such as issues of zoning, and having a President from a minority will not cause riots in the North or destabilize the polity.

Furthermore, we have good leaders, but they will never rise to the top in this type of arranged system, because the nature of politics
is more interested in where a person is from instead of his/her competence to lead.
Re: South Sudan Becomes 54th African State by ozenyen(m): 5:06pm On Feb 03, 2011
I agree with you Nigeria as a nation is faced with a lot of problems. To correct all the ills of the past will mean that as many people as possible will get involved in the process. That does not mean the change will necessarily come 1n 2011, over time as more people that realizes that the problem is not where a man comes from or what religion he practices but what he can offer the masses we will begin to see the desired change.

For me I believe that one day Nigeria will be great again, I will not give up on the project called Nigeria
Re: South Sudan Becomes 54th African State by ShangoThor(m): 5:28pm On Feb 03, 2011
ozenyen:

I agree with you Nigeria as a nation is faced with a lot of problems. To correct all the ills of the past will mean that as many people as possible will get involved in the process. That does not mean the change will necessarily come 1n 2011, over time as more people that realizes that the problem is not where a man comes from or what religion he practices but what he can offer the masses we will begin to see the desired change.

For me I believe that one day Nigeria will be great again, I will not give up on the project called Nigeria

Europeans rule the world because they are capable of adapting and being self critical.
Throughout history they have been successful at absorbing technology and practices from
other cultures that are successful and work into their own civilization.

Africans and peoples of Nigeria can be very successful too if we start to recognize and acknowledge
things that work.Nigerians would rather acknowledge the supernatural (whether it be religion or juju)
as opposed to dealing and improving their living conditions, reality.
Re: South Sudan Becomes 54th African State by amurx(m): 5:29pm On Feb 03, 2011
wil dat prophecy ''I SEE 3 NATION COMIN OUT OF NIGERIA COME TO REALITY'' come to reallity?
Re: South Sudan Becomes 54th African State by zeeko: 6:28pm On Feb 03, 2011
Who made that prophecy? It better be true, 
-Cos I av been on generator for 2 months nw,
-the teaching hospital in my state have been shut for 3 months and counting,
-Governorship candidates in 2011 election are being killed like rams,
-i pump my water, no public water supply system to my house,
-Serious inflation in cost of foodstuffs, agege bread and even biscuit after minimum wage increase. (I pity the unborn Nigerian child)
-The university in my state have been shut for 5 months cos no payment of the lecturers salary for 6 months,
-Each senator collects about 400 million Naira as salary every Year!

Some HORRIBLE PIG-HEADS on Nairaland saying Nigeria will never split and raining curses at ppl bringing up that issue are those in politics or whose parents are in politics (maybe L.G chairman) and feel they have no chance in life, if it happens.
-The most religious; the most awkward.

What a Country! These points above are just some of my own grieviances (different ppl with theirs) and am not ready to risk hugging a transformer!,  even when I know there is not going to be electricity in it. We have always been suffering and smiling (no wonder we got tagged the Happiest people on Earth),  mocking our CRAZINESS with an award.

There is no way Nigeria won't experience a revolution/SPLIT be it nw in 2011 or in 2080 when we all complaining now, are 6-feet under. It will surely happen, just like a BOMB waiting to EXPLODE!
Re: South Sudan Becomes 54th African State by sunjet: 7:03pm On Feb 03, 2011
This is definitely what we need in nigeria and I predict it will happen someday,
Re: South Sudan Becomes 54th African State by kabtun(m): 7:39pm On Feb 03, 2011
its a good thing for southern sudan, freedom is sweet.
for those of us that are advocating for break up of nigeria, you might need to consider this:
nigeria is not sudan, nigeria is so polarised that if we start to break up, we might end up with over 200 countries emerging from nigeria.
its goes as thus
1. first break will be between north and south
2. after about 20 yrs, the south will further divide i.e east and west
3. there after south south will part ways with the south east
4. calabar will also urge for seperation from the ibo.
5. how do you deal with the tiv, ebira, jukun, nupe, egba, and so on.
take a look at state creation, every ethnic group wants its own state. we started from regions. from 4 regions we are down to 36 state and the demand is still on going.
its good we break up if you think but i believe our strenght is our size. with democracy and rotational presidency we will sure get to the promise land.
WAR IS DANMED TO COSTLY
Re: South Sudan Becomes 54th African State by ShangoThor(m): 8:33pm On Feb 03, 2011
kabtun:

its a good thing for southern sudan, freedom is sweet.
for those of us that are advocating for break up of nigeria, you might need to consider this:
nigeria is not sudan, nigeria is so polarised that if we start to break up, we might end up with over 200 countries emerging from nigeria.
its goes as thus
1. first break will be between north and south
2. after about 20 yrs, the south will further divide i.e east and west
3. there after south south will part ways with the south east
4. calabar will also urge for seperation from the ibo.
5. how do you deal with the tiv, ebira, jukun, nupe, egba, and so on.
take a look at state creation, every ethnic group wants its own state. we started from regions. from 4 regions we are down to 36 state and the demand is still on going.
its good we break up if you think but i believe our strenght is our size. with democracy and rotational presidency we will sure get to the promise land.
WAR IS DANMED TO COSTLY

@ red, your obvious stated facts are followed by supposition in the same sentence.

I am still awaiting an answer to the question below and everybody is evading it:

Can you name me One country or Nation State in the world where there is the existence of a clustester of Sharia adopting States within a Secular State?
Re: South Sudan Becomes 54th African State by Nobody: 8:35pm On Feb 03, 2011
Re: South Sudan Becomes 54th African State by tlops(m): 9:00pm On Feb 03, 2011
good one,
Re: South Sudan Becomes 54th African State by ejikeND(m): 9:02pm On Feb 03, 2011
that your family is not together,is no bodies foult.so dont pray for nigeria to split
Re: South Sudan Becomes 54th African State by Adonike(m): 9:37pm On Feb 03, 2011
Those seeking d break-up of this great country(Nigeria) are all bunch of FUULZ!
Re: South Sudan Becomes 54th African State by vescucci(m): 9:42pm On Feb 03, 2011
There's no country that won't have some parts (most times majority) of it kinda drawing it backwards but this is the true sense of nationalism. Sometimes I swear, I just want us to split so that when some people get outta line we can just declare war and put them back in line but then I think what if I was born as one of them. But our case makes you laugh doesn't it. It's illiteracy versus common sense most times and not sensible ideologies like in East/West Germany (of before), North/South Korea, Ireland/England and Blue/Red U. S. of A.

We'll see. Thank God for Sudan. There own case is as special as ours. Downright oppression and slavery.
Re: South Sudan Becomes 54th African State by kabtun(m): 9:55pm On Feb 03, 2011
ShangoThor:

@ red, your obvious stated facts are followed by supposition in the same sentence.

I am still awaiting an answer to the question below and everybody is evading it:

Can you name me One country or Nation State in the world where there is the existence of a clustester of Sharia adopting States within a Secular State?
ofcourse no secular state practices sharia legal system, so also i dont know any state in nigeria where sharia is been imposed on everyone. sharia legal system is only for muslims in the state where it is adopted. the constitution of nigeria is supreme to any form of law in nigeria.
tell any non muslim that had tried under the sharia legal system[color=#990000][/color]
Re: South Sudan Becomes 54th African State by ShangoThor(m): 10:39pm On Feb 03, 2011
kabtun:

ofcourse no secular state practices sharia legal system, so also i dont know any state in nigeria where sharia is been imposed on everyone. sharia legal system is only for muslims in the state where it is adopted. the constitution of nigeria is supreme to any form of law in nigeria.
tell any non muslim that had tried under the sharia legal system[/color]
[color=#770077]
1.Isn't it true that moslems believe that Sharia law cannot be contested and is supreme to all forms of
man made laws (which is the category the secular constitution falls under) because it is derived from
an incontestible and divine source? Isn't one of the main objectives of Boko Haram to extend Sharia

2. Is it not also true that by its application to moslems only as you claim it is not discriminatory?

3. Can you also explain why a petty thief might suffer the penalty of amputation, whilst a person that
engages in Capital Flight, fraud done by internet banking/international transfers would not be viewed
as theft that warrants the penalty of amputation? Most of the big shots that loot the treasury via
electronic transfers are never tried under Sharia let alone amputated.
Re: South Sudan Becomes 54th African State by jmoore(m): 10:42pm On Feb 03, 2011
Nigeria will always remain one!!!!

If there is any possibility of Nigeria splitting then the result is that we might end up with more than 1000 countries.
Re: South Sudan Becomes 54th African State by ShangoThor(m): 10:50pm On Feb 03, 2011
jmoore:

Nigeria will always remain one!!!!

If there is any possibility of Nigeria splitting then the result is that we might end up with more than 1000 countries.

[size=14pt]
Irrelevant, you are perfectly welcome to represent your opinion in a single vote, let the people decide![/size]
Re: South Sudan Becomes 54th African State by poweredcom(m): 1:17am On Feb 04, 2011
Nigeria pls make it 55 Ok we cant wait
Re: South Sudan Becomes 54th African State by Nobody: 4:46am On Feb 04, 2011
Wow. Sux for those who have family on both sides undecided
Re: South Sudan Becomes 54th African State by Fhemmmy: 4:52am On Feb 04, 2011
Lol
Re: South Sudan Becomes 54th African State by oluwabamis(m): 7:38am On Feb 04, 2011
oduduwa, 55th
arewa, 56th
biafra, 57th
niger delta;, 58th

what do u guys think?. jokes apart, im happy for them.et me just hope & pray that they will remain united and work toward developing the baby nation. May be nigeria should even give them some grants, since we are the giant of africa.
CONGRATULATIONS!!!
Re: South Sudan Becomes 54th African State by lokya(f): 9:16am On Feb 04, 2011
so happy for southern sudan .wishing them well cool cool cool cool cool The middle belt will soon be the 55th country
Re: South Sudan Becomes 54th African State by zeeko: 9:27am On Feb 04, 2011
Giant of Africa, my A$$. Bobo! O n mu inu ara e dun. Thatz part of why they say we are the happiest ppl to mock us. 'Giant' was in the past my frnd. . . . . .When we supply neighbouring countries with electricity, when our currency was at par with that of the U.S and U.K, our foreign reserve was MASSIVE (among the highest in the world), we build refugee camps for residents of war-torn African countries, give aids & grants to countries, send peace teams to other countries (and our our army were awarded the best peace keeping team by the U.N).

But now, these things are not there anymore. Our foreign reserve is been sucked, we are abt to get debt-ridden like the time of Abacha with loans and bonds (our oil money is not enough). These term 'Giant' is relative to our large population (of about 150 Million black people), large human resources but no productivity and turn-over in the economy.

And by the way, which African country do you hear of bomb blasts here and there except the war-ravaged African countries , happens here in our dear country, on independence day celebration, xmas eve, boxing day,(maybe the next is valentines day or Good Friday!). These explosions are signs, and May GOD expedite our SPLIT process, if it is bound to eventually happen. AMEN!
Re: South Sudan Becomes 54th African State by PBundles(m): 11:27am On Feb 04, 2011
@ShangoThor concerning your question:Can you name me One country or Nation State in the world where there is the existence of a clustester of Sharia adopting States within a Secular State?
Yes there is : INDIA! The law of India wa drafted to deal with relgious beliefs, crazy but true. Indian law is complex, with each religion having its own specific laws. There are separate laws governing Hindus, Muslims, Christians, Sikhs and followers of other religions. The exception to this rule is in the state of Goa, where a Portuguese uniform civil code is in place, in which all religions have a common law regarding marriages, divorces and adoption. There you go,
Re: South Sudan Becomes 54th African State by ShangoThor(m): 12:02pm On Feb 04, 2011
PBundles:

@ShangoThor concerning your question:Can you name me One country or Nation State in the world where there is the existence of a clustester of Sharia adopting States within a Secular State?
Yes there is : INDIA! The law of India wa drafted to deal with relgious beliefs, crazy but true. Indian law is complex, with each religion having its own specific laws. There are separate laws governing Hindus, Muslims, Christians, Sikhs and followers of other religions. The exception to this rule is in the state of Goa, where a Portuguese uniform civil code is in place, in which all religions have a common law regarding marriages, divorces and adoption. There you go,

Pbundles, nice try, INDIA is not a good example because the way the laws are drafted takes account of INDIA as a PLURALISTIC polity.

If you to put Nigeria into that context, the constitution would allow for Xtian States adopting Xtian or Jewish constitutions, and those derived from Traditional Religions would be able to form their own unique States and constitutions in Southern Nigeria. What we have now is tantamount to a
discriminatory setup to appease a particular religion.In other words, you cannot use a pluralistic setup as a justification for an exclusive exception.

A Secular constitution stipulates "one rule for all".
Re: South Sudan Becomes 54th African State by PBundles(m): 12:22pm On Feb 04, 2011
ShangoThor:

Pbundles, nice try, INDIA is not a good example because the way the laws are drafted takes account of INDIA as a PLURALISTIC polity.

If you to put Nigeria into that context, the constitution would allow for Xtian States adopting Xtian or Jewish constitutions, and those derived from Traditional Religions would be able to form their own unique States and constitutions in Southern Nigeria. What we have now is tantamount to a
discriminatory setup to appease a particular religion.In other words, you cannot use a pluralistic setup as a justification for an exclusive exception.

A Secular constitution stipulates "one rule for all".

You are funny, but at least you will get credit for trying. You are a perfect example of the issues we have. Instead of opening up an assuming possibly you could learn something (dont take offense), you will argue you case whether its based on facts or not. And if all doesnt work, we will through some grammer, maybe we can shake them (more smoke screens). Im a partime lecturer in a university, anyways back to the what we were discussing. Ignorance is not pretty. Are you saying that India is not a secular state? Please dont say this around educated people. Let me help you: with the excemption of say 30 countries ( dont feel like listing them all), most are secular. Most norther african countries (tunisia, egypt etc) are classified as having a state regilion. Another tip undecided Nigeria is actually NOT a SECULAR STATE (sorry to bust yr bubble) they are termed an ambiguous state. Look it up or ask someone who did Poli 101 they should be able to help you. Never thought that I would be falling back on my undergrad days (took it as a minor some 15 years ago). I would search the web fro you for links and stuff but dont feel the urge to look up things Im sure about. It would be like me googling is Abuja is really the capital of Nigeria. Interesting for someone not from Nigeria, but a waste for me (get it). But feel free to. And let us know what you found. Possibly with actual references wo we can check.
Re: South Sudan Becomes 54th African State by PBundles(m): 12:28pm On Feb 04, 2011
Gosh my english (grammer and spelling) sucks, sorry folks. embarassed Typing to fast without proof reading.
Re: South Sudan Becomes 54th African State by PBundles(m): 12:34pm On Feb 04, 2011
@ShangoThor, I know I said I wouldnt, couldnt give up the urge :[url][/url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secular_state
I know its wiki, and as a lecturer hate when students use it but, hey we dont have to tell them grin
Re: South Sudan Becomes 54th African State by ShangoThor(m): 1:01pm On Feb 04, 2011
PBundles:

You are funny, but at least you will get credit for trying. You are a perfect example of the issues we have. Instead of opening up an assuming possibly you could learn something (dont take offense), you will argue you case whether its based on facts or not. And if all doesnt work, we will through some grammer, maybe we can shake them (more smoke screens). Im a partime lecturer in a university, anyways back to the what we were discussing. Ignorance is not pretty. Are you saying that India is not a secular state? Please dont say this around educated people. Let me help you: with the excemption of say 30 countries ( dont feel like listing them all), most are secular. Most norther african countries (tunisia, egypt etc) are classified as having a state regilion. Another tip undecided Nigeria is actually NOT a SECULAR STATE (sorry to bust yr bubble) they are termed an ambiguous state. Look it up or ask someone who did Poli 101 they should be able to help you. Never thought that I would be falling back on my undergrad days (took it as a minor some 15 years ago). I would search the web fro you for links and stuff but dont feel the urge to look up things Im sure about. It would be like me googling is Abuja is really the capital of Nigeria. Interesting for someone not from Nigeria, but a waste for me (get it). But feel free to. And let us know what you found. Possibly with actual references wo we can check.

You're attempt to undermine me by making reference to your educational achievements is crap, a typical Nigerian Braggart, all the education and incapable of effecting change for the betterment of the people. This does not phase me though because you do not know who I am and I am not prepared to brag about my achievements. Some of the most successful individuals in the world did not attain degrees from Universities, Richard Branston, Bill Gates and the list goes on. Nevertheless, the reason why they have become successful is because of their environment and the foundational rules of their environments.

The Colonial vampires left us with a constitution that was meant to be Secular. This was derived from meetings where all participating parties
that were involved in discussions for independence. Since then, sections of the Bourgeois in Nigeria (particularly the Army) meddled and tampered with the constitution
to the point of rendering it ineffective. It is meant to be Secular, and there is also meant to be a clear distinction between the machinery
of State and the executive. This is why nothing is working in Nigeria. The Secular State has been modified and distorted to the point of it
being ineffective
.This is where the "Ambiguous State" claim comes from.

You make me laugh, you cannot bamboozle people with crap, we are in the "digital age", [size=14pt]if I am talking absolute crap run a Google search for: Is the Nigerian State Secular?[/size]This is the main problem with Nigeria, you have a group of people trying to defend what Fela calls an "Arrangeee" system, even though it clearly does not work.  

By the way, Ambiguous State, implies we do not an "identifiable system" and I don't know whether to laugh or cry here!

Secondly, with regards to INDIA, I'm not going to go over it again, I did not claim INDIA was not a Secular State, what I implied
is that the Secular State had made provision for ALL of its religions, thus taking account that it is a PLURALISTIC polity.

It does not make an exception for ONE DOMINANT RELIGION!
Re: South Sudan Becomes 54th African State by ShangoThor(m): 1:08pm On Feb 04, 2011
PBundles:

@ShangoThor, I know I said I wouldnt, couldnt give up the urge :[url][/url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secular_state
I know its wiki, and as a lecturer hate when students use it but, hey we dont have to tell them grin

Thats the difference MR Lecturer, LOL, I never quote WIKIPEDIA . Another Nigerian trait, knowing that its wrong to do it but you still do!

[size=18pt]No wonder why Nigerian students keep on failing! LOL  cool[/size]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ghana's Incumbent President Mahama Wins Election / Blackwater Withdraws From Yemen After Heavy Defeat By Houthi Shiite Separatists / Will Russia And China Hold Their Fire Until War Is The Only Alternative? — P.C.R

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.