Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,115 members, 7,818,323 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:41 PM

Senate Passes Anti-Sexual Harassment Bill - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senate Passes Anti-Sexual Harassment Bill (21890 Views)

Ahmad Lawan: Sexual Harassment Bill Passed To Guarantee Safety Of Students / Senate Debates Omo-Agege’s Sexual Harassment Bill / Omo-Agege Presents Sexual Harassment Bill To Senate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Senate Passes Anti-Sexual Harassment Bill by One4me: 5:53am On Jul 08, 2020
Mayflowa:

Of course the bill is biased. Sexual harassment occurs in the university as well as workplaces all over the nation. To be fair, sexual harassment bill should cover all workplaces, including the university. Just as some lecturers bully student to submit to their sexual demands, bosses also bully or subtly harass their subordinate to summit to their sexual demand by creating unpalatable environment, threat of sack or promise of promotion. All these remove merit from workplaces. So bosses and supervisor should face still penalty for sexual exploitation just as professors and lecturers.

Secondly, there are loopholes in a bill. How can any law remove consent from dating and sex. There should be age of consent in any sane country. At this age, once you agree to date or have sex with anyone, it should be anyone trouble or argument for crime. The only time consent is waived is when is a subordinate- supervisor relationship in some work places. while this action is not crime, it has ethical implication because a supervisor may seems to favor or deny privilege to a subordinate under certain circumstances in their relationship. It is also create an hostile environment to other subordinate watching the relationships. That is why some company policy recommend resignation or transfer for any of the people concerned. If a student has gotten to the age of consent and want to date a lecturer who is not in his/her department or have direction supervision over, then the law should allow it because what the law seeks to protect is abuse of position or power to favor or deny previlege. It should not stop a lecturer from marrying a student that have come of age.

The question should be: What is the age of consent in Nigeria? Do we want different state to have their age of consent? Right now, the northern part of Nigeria is afraid to go into this conversion because of early child marriage which should all be termed abuse. You see why the legislation is biased?

Brilliant.
That Law should be rejected and torn to shreds.
[b][/b]It is better for the Judges and Lawyers in the Private Sector to draw up such Bill, we have too many lawless criminals in that NASS, for them to be the ones making Laws for us. or is it no tthose thugs who throw Chairs, Steal mase and threaten each other in the "hollow" Chambers? grin grin
Re: Senate Passes Anti-Sexual Harassment Bill by One4me: 5:56am On Jul 08, 2020
Johnson5258:
You've points but not well presented, this is a bill on tertiary institution sexual harassment, not office which is not biased, however it was based on BBC eye report so that's it's basis. It's unethical for a lecturer to date a student, in onr way or the other, the student will be intimidate by the lecturer, marriage is different. Marrying a student wasn't debarred, if any lecturer wishes to marry a student, it's fine let them go ahead, what's the concept of dating between a lecturer and a student? That's a subtle way of sleeping with the student, which yeye consent?

You need to read what he wrote, slowly.
You completely muddled everything up, even what the Bill said. grin

1 Like

Re: Senate Passes Anti-Sexual Harassment Bill by Sheggy13(m): 6:13am On Jul 08, 2020
Johnson5258:
You've points but not well presented, this is a bill on tertiary institution sexual harassment, not office which is not biased, however it was based on BBC eye report so that's it's basis. It's unethical for a lecturer to date a student, in onr way or the other, the student will be intimidate by the lecturer, marriage is different. Marrying a student wasn't debarred, if any lecturer wishes to marry a student, it's fine let them go ahead, what's the concept of dating between a lecturer and a student? That's a subtle way of sleeping with the student, which yeye consent?

What's unethical about a lecturer dating a student who is of age most especially if that's a student in a different department/faculty that has nothing in common with the faculty which the lecturer is in, and the feeling is mutual between them? You're in support of marriage between them and not dating. So as a man, you just see a lady you like today, you will just arrange marriage immediately the next day, no form of dating/courtship to know each other better? Does that make sense to you? Why the law is meant to have good intent, the reason why it's biased is because it doesn't provide commensurate punishment for female students that frame up/falsely accuse lecturers of sexual harassment, or you think that cannot/doesn't happen? A law should be all-inclusive.

1 Like

Re: Senate Passes Anti-Sexual Harassment Bill by Carter4luv(m): 6:22am On Jul 08, 2020
nice move. it will make the girls who like giving their body for grades to read. other hard working girls will study hard only to get C, D, and E. why the holofofo girls will just go to lecturer office to book their body for A, or B grades.
Re: Senate Passes Anti-Sexual Harassment Bill by Sheggy13(m): 6:31am On Jul 08, 2020
One4me:

Because the Bill only addresses Lecturers trying to sleep with students (even with consent!) but does not address desperate, lazy Students who force themselves on Lecturers, to have undeserved Grades.

See, if a Lecturer approaches a Student and says: I will sleep with you and pass you in return, he is GUILTY.
Now, the converse should be :
If a Student says: Mr. lecturer, l want to have Sex with you and in return, give me a pass grade, she is also Guilty of sexually harassing the Lecturer but the Bill is silent on this.

Some people say the Lecturer should just say 'No' and that should be the end of it btu l ask them, in the former case, What if the Student just says 'No', should that also not be the ned of it?
If it is not the ned of it for the Lecturer, it should not be the ned of it for the Student.
Laws cant be biased in favor of some groups.
I see your whole point and can understand what you're driving, however I feel the analogy you gave is misplaced. Firstly, a lecturer/teacher just like a cleric is taken to have the role of "in loco parentis" which is a Latin term meaning "in place of a parent in a child's life". The lecturer has a moral obligation to counsel, supervise and guide a student (male/female) regardless of how young that lecturer is - he is a leader by being in such office. So can a parent(father) tell his own daughter : " I will give you money (better grade for lecturer) if you sleep with me?". While a child can tell her father same thing, the father will correct such erring child and society would not be as astounded about it as it would if the offer were coming from the parent. That's the kind of analogy that fits into this narrative.

My own grouse is that the law should be able to protect lecturers too from some devilish students that may falsely accuse them. They should also suffer stiffer penalties like jail terms too rather than just expelling them only from the institution. That way everybody will be guided. I also do feel lecturers that do not have any kind of influence whatsoever on a student's grade - different faculty/department be allowed to go into relationships that can lead to marriage especially when that lady is approaching her finals. My personal opinion.
Re: Senate Passes Anti-Sexual Harassment Bill by TheAfricanKing: 6:52am On Jul 08, 2020
I read the bill in detail. I agree with most of it except the part that says "Whistling and Winking' can land a lecture in jail. Anyway the House of Reps have not passed it so it is not yet law. Hopefully they will amend that part. Otherwise it looks good.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2020/07/whistling-winking-now-offences-as-senate-passes-sexual-harassment-bill/
Re: Senate Passes Anti-Sexual Harassment Bill by Praxtech: 6:06am On Jul 09, 2020
Mayflowa:

Of course the bill is biased. Sexual harassment occurs in the university as well as workplaces all over the nation. To be fair, sexual harassment bill should cover all workplaces, including the university. Just as some lecturers bully student to submit to their sexual demands, bosses also bully or subtly harass their subordinate to summit to their sexual demand by creating unpalatable environment, threat of sack or promise of promotion. All these remove merit from workplaces. So bosses and supervisor should face stiff penalty for sexual exploitation just as professors and lecturers.

Secondly, there are loopholes in the bill. How can any law remove consent from dating and sex. There should be age of consent in any sane country. At this age, once you agree to date or have sex with anyone, it shouldn't be anyone trouble or argument for crime. The only time consent is waived is when is a subordinate- supervisor relationship in some work places. while this action is not crime, it has ethical implication because a supervisor may seems to favor or deny privilege to a subordinate under certain circumstances in their relationship. It is also create an hostile environment to other subordinate watching the relationships. That is why some company policy recommend resignation or transfer for any of the people concerned. If a student has gotten to the age of consent and want to date a lecturer who is not in his/her department or have direction supervision over, then the law should allow it because what the law seeks to protect is abuse of position or power to favor or deny privilege. It should not stop a lecturer from marrying a student that have come of age.

The question should be: What is the age of consent in Nigeria? Do we want different state to have their age of consent? Right now, the northern part of Nigeria is afraid to go into this conversion because of early child marriage which should all be termed abuse. You see why the legislation is biased?
Ijoba2
Re: Senate Passes Anti-Sexual Harassment Bill by Johnson5258: 8:02am On Jul 10, 2020
I used the word dating because, what we know it means doesn't result to marriage but otherwise, but keeping relationship with the student is different, in less than 6 months, arrangements are going on. Dating makes gives both preferential treatment. Lecturer gives mark, student give sex only if you want to be biased about it boss.

So they can be relationship but all those guest house levels isn't it abeg.
Sheggy13:

What's unethical about a lecturer dating a student who is of age most especially if that's a student in a different department/faculty that has nothing in common with the faculty which the lecturer is in, and the feeling is mutual between them? You're in support of marriage between them and not dating. So as a man, you just see a lady you like today, you will just arrange marriage immediately the next day, no form of dating/courtship to know each other better? Does that make sense to you? Why the law is meant to have good intent, the reason why it's biased is because it doesn't provide commensurate punishment for female students that frame up/falsely accuse lecturers of sexual harassment, or you think that cannot/doesn't happen? A law should be all-inclusive.
Re: Senate Passes Anti-Sexual Harassment Bill by Johnson5258: 8:14am On Jul 10, 2020
Thanks for the extensive enlightenment. But what I'm saying is that, dating that we know is for sex things but keeping relationship with the student is different, at least in 6 months they will be planning and really it would be clean other than guest house stuffs, your fellow student will be harassing you based on that fact that her boyfriend is a lecturer. How do you justify that? Don't be surprised that your class prostitute gets the best grade and you wey dey jack till day break still dey spill, abeg let it be. It can be modified to cover workplace, that's fine. However, it's against most company policy that staff should marry each in other to avoid conflict of interest, so it doesn't align with supervisor - subordinate things. Still I appreciate your inputs.
Mayflowa:

Everywhere in the world, there is no bill addressing sexual harassment separately for university and other workplaces. There is only one bill for it. It is a supervisor-subordinate work relationship bill. The bill is known as Tile IX in many countries of the world. Our legislators needs to look into what it is about and tailor it to suite us. It is easy to X-ray university than workplaces but the dangerous effect of sexual harassment in both situation is in same dimension. My frown is on taking a part from a whole systemic corruption. They should fix sexual harassment at once, not just in university. But one know why they won't - because they too and their proxies engage in sexual harassment in workplaces. That is why the ASUU president said it is a biased bill.

To answer the point you raise - If consent is waived, a lecturer marrying a student would be a crime. How can you marry anyone without dating. lol. However, the bill is a starting point. It addresses fundamental rot in the university. I work in academe as a faculty and I know firsthand the pains it brings to student. On the flip side, many female students become less-studious knowing that can sexually influence a lecturer to gain grade. So this is a first good step putting sanity into the system.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Senate To Pass Social Media Bill Despite Rejection By Nigerians -SaharaReporters / APC Presidential Primary: I Won’t Allow Imposition Of Candidate - Buhari / Postponement:  ad-hoc Staff Protest Non Payment Of Allowance In Benue

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.