Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,695 members, 7,816,836 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:28 PM

What Should I Learn For Backend PHP Or Node.js - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / What Should I Learn For Backend PHP Or Node.js (921 Views)

Is Python A Good Language For Backend Web Development / What Language Do I Need To Learn For Software Development? / PHP Or Node JS? Here's My Honest Opinion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Should I Learn For Backend PHP Or Node.js by hartoyebi38: 12:14pm On Jul 08, 2020
I'm confused what program should i choose between PHP and Node.js to start my backend journey.
Re: What Should I Learn For Backend PHP Or Node.js by etrange: 12:33pm On Jul 08, 2020
I would have said Python but that's out of the question. Lol

This could be subjective. Node.JS has so many advantages but I'd go with the good old PHP primarily because the way it's designed to work with MySQL and its variants. Node.JS may gain more traction as we progress but presently, PHP is still a more deep rooted as a backend technology. It powers most popular extensible web templates, it has more existing boilerplate codes you can easily pick from the internet, it has a larger community so help is more readily available, it has more documentations out there and, most importantly, it has more vacancies in the market (judging by the Canadian jobboards).
Re: What Should I Learn For Backend PHP Or Node.js by hartoyebi38: 12:43pm On Jul 08, 2020
etrange:
I would have said Python but that's out of the question. Lol

This could be subjective. Node.JS has so many advantages but I'd go with the good old PHP primarily because the way it's designed to work with MySQL and its variants. Node.JS may gain more traction as we progress but presently, PHP is still a more deep rooted as a backend technology. It powers most popular extensible web templates, it has more existing boilerplate codes you can easily pick from the internet, it has a larger community so help is more readily available, it has more documentations out there and, most importantly, it has more vacancies in the market (judging by the Canadian jobboards).
You mean should choose PHP. Is it necessary to learn more than one Backend language?

Thanks
Re: What Should I Learn For Backend PHP Or Node.js by etrange: 1:03pm On Jul 08, 2020
hartoyebi38:

You mean should choose PHP. Is it necessary to learn more than one Backend language?

Thanks

@bolded, I only gave you my opinion. You can hear from others and then make an informed decision.

As for your question, you can achieve virtually anything you want on the web with PHP but knowledge, they say, is power and versatility is key. After learning one back-end language, I'm 99% sure you'll find yourself learning another, that's how it always goes. For now, you're motivated by the thoughts of being a developer but it won't be long before you start being more labour-market conscious and employability becomes a goal. The more versatile you get, the more employable you are. Even as a self employed person, it's always good to have choices as some languages might be more suited for some projects.
Re: What Should I Learn For Backend PHP Or Node.js by stanliwise(m): 1:12pm On Jul 08, 2020
hartoyebi38:
I'm confused what program should i choose between PHP and Node.js to start my backend journey.
Start with NodeJs if you understand JavaScript. But if not start with PHP. It has much more friendly syntax

1 Like

Re: What Should I Learn For Backend PHP Or Node.js by hartoyebi38: 1:38pm On Jul 08, 2020
etrange:

@bolded, I only gave you my opinion. You can hear from others and then make an informed decision.

As for your question, you can achieve virtually anything you want on the web with PHP but knowledge, they say, is power and versatility is key. After learning one back-end language, I'm 99% sure you'll find yourself learning another, that's how it always goes. For now, you're motivated by the thoughts of being a developer but it won't be long before you start being more labour-market conscious and employability becomes a goal. The more versatile you get, the more employable you are. Even as a self employed person, it's always good to have choices as some languages might be more suited for some projects.
You've done wonderfully. Thanks for the advice

1 Like

Re: What Should I Learn For Backend PHP Or Node.js by hartoyebi38: 1:39pm On Jul 08, 2020
stanliwise:
Start with NodeJs is you understand JavaScript. But if not start with PHP. It has much more friendly syntax
Yes, i understand Javascript at lest the basic
Re: What Should I Learn For Backend PHP Or Node.js by talk2hb1(m): 5:45pm On Jul 08, 2020
hartoyebi38:
You want to learn programming or you want to go into backend
If you are thinking of going into backend hope your frontend (HTML, CSS, and JavaScript) skills is solid
Re: What Should I Learn For Backend PHP Or Node.js by Karleb(m): 7:46pm On Jul 08, 2020
stanliwise:
Start with NodeJs is you understand JavaScript. But if not start with PHP. It has much more friendly syntax

Best advice so far! If you already know Javascript, please go with nodejs and/or its frameworks.

You can choose to learn PHP later.
Re: What Should I Learn For Backend PHP Or Node.js by hartoyebi38: 9:50pm On Jul 08, 2020
talk2hb1:

You want to learn programming or you want to go into backend
If you are thinking of going into backend hope your frontend (HTML, CSS, and JavaScript) skills is solid
I'm done with those three
Re: What Should I Learn For Backend PHP Or Node.js by talk2hb1(m): 8:38am On Jul 09, 2020
hartoyebi38:

I'm done with those three
I will assume you have grab programming concept, I will suggest you go learn Java or C# you can thank me later.
Reason being that learning PHP or JavaScript will limit you in some programming construct which Java will not forgive you, so you coming back to PHP or JavaScript will be like a breeze and infact you will be able to pick any language like a sitting duck.
Re: What Should I Learn For Backend PHP Or Node.js by Johnmattee(m): 10:19am On Jul 09, 2020
No one said anything about Golang... according to my research it's faster than all the languages mentioned above, it's just that we've not embraced it in this part of the world.
Re: What Should I Learn For Backend PHP Or Node.js by Codebreed: 4:02pm On Jul 09, 2020
If you have good understanding of Javascript, you may choose Nodejs.
If you are a beginner in programming don't choose php.

(1) (Reply)

Programmer Mentor / I Need Help In Making A Career Choice: Networking Or Programming? / Agricultural Datamining System Using Ann

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.