Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,068 members, 7,818,182 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:43 AM

China Challenges U.S. To Cut Nuclear Arsenal To Matching Level - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / China Challenges U.S. To Cut Nuclear Arsenal To Matching Level (431 Views)

Putin Vows To Cut Gas Supply Tomorrow Unless Europe Pays In Roubles / China Replies Trump Over Threat To Cut Off Ties / U.S. To Iran: Coronavirus Won't Save You From Sanctions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

China Challenges U.S. To Cut Nuclear Arsenal To Matching Level by temblor1(m): 4:37pm On Jul 08, 2020
(Reuters) - China would "be happy to" participate in trilateral arms control negotiations with the United States and Russia, but only if the United States were willing to reduce its nuclear arsenal to China's level, a senior Chinese diplomat said on Wednesday.

Washington has repeatedly called for China to join in trilateral negotiations to extend New START, a flagship nuclear arms treaty between the United States and Russia that is due to expire in February next year.

Fu Cong, head of the arms control department of Chinese foreign ministry, reiterated to reporters in Beijing on Wednesday that China has no interest in joining the negotiation with former Cold War-era superpowers, given that the U.S. nuclear arsenal is about 20 times the size of China's.
"I can assure you, if the U.S. says that they are ready to come down to the Chinese level, China would be happy to participate the next day," he said. "But actually, we know that's not going to happen."

Fu asserted that for the United States, asking China to participate in trilateral negotiations is "nothing but a ploy to divert attention" and an excuse for the United States to walk away from the New START extension.

"The real purpose is to get rid of all restrictions and have a free hand in seeking military superiority over any adversary, real or imagined," said Fu.

Fu maintained China is not "shying away from the international nuclear disarmament process" and is prepared to discuss within the framework of the United Nations Security Council's five permanent members all issues related to the reduction of nuclear risks.

(Reporting by Yew Lun Tian; Editing by Christian Schmollinger and Lincoln Feast.)
https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN2490C9

Re: China Challenges U.S. To Cut Nuclear Arsenal To Matching Level by ThiagoKid(m): 4:58pm On Jul 08, 2020
like for US of A, share for china

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: China Challenges U.S. To Cut Nuclear Arsenal To Matching Level by Nobody: 4:59pm On Jul 08, 2020
China knows that if war comes, they are no match..
They want USA to reduce to their level grin

1 Like

Re: China Challenges U.S. To Cut Nuclear Arsenal To Matching Level by jamace(m): 5:02pm On Jul 08, 2020
Let USA throw bomb on China, abeg. Lets add to this CORONA VIRUS confusion. grin
Re: China Challenges U.S. To Cut Nuclear Arsenal To Matching Level by NigeriaIsDoomed: 5:11pm On Jul 08, 2020
igbobywedding:
China knows that if war comes, they are no match..

They want USA to reduce to their level grin
Both countries possess the capabilities to trigger-off the utter annihilation of each other in a full-scale war. It is called Mutually Assured Destruction.
No one should ever underestimate China in this world.

2 Likes

Re: China Challenges U.S. To Cut Nuclear Arsenal To Matching Level by Nobody: 5:14pm On Jul 08, 2020
NigeriaIsDoomed:
Both countries possess the capabilities to trigger-off the utter annihilation of each other in a full-scale war. It is called Mutually Assured Destruction.
No one should ever underestimate China in this world.

Lies... Why China kon dey beg USA

For the bolded, Only Russia and USA can destroy each other...

1 Like

Re: China Challenges U.S. To Cut Nuclear Arsenal To Matching Level by NigeriaIsDoomed: 5:23pm On Jul 08, 2020
igbobywedding:

Lies... Why China kon dey beg USA

For the bolded, Only Russia and USA can destroy each other...
Go do your research and come back to comment again.

1 Like

Re: China Challenges U.S. To Cut Nuclear Arsenal To Matching Level by Unnerve: 6:44pm On Jul 08, 2020
If I were China, I would act the same way.

How can one country be trying to limit the nuclear capabilities of other countries, but keeping their own nuclear arsenal intact.

And the US wonders why NK, Russia, and China never takes their faux morality serious.

1 Like

Re: China Challenges U.S. To Cut Nuclear Arsenal To Matching Level by dermmy(m): 7:40pm On Jul 08, 2020
Unnerve:
If I were China, I would act the same way.

How can one country be trying to limit the nuclear capabilities of other countries, but keeping their own nuclear arsenal intact.

And the US wonders why NK, Russia, and China never takes their faux morality serious.

Lies, you won't act the same way. America has bases in the pacific with missiles pointed at China and you want China to join an arms control agreement with U.S.

America has moved its strategic assets to the pacific to counter China's rise it is called "U.S pivot to Asia" and you think China would limit its arms in the face of such threat?

A world where America keeps surrounding its percieved foes with military bases those countries won't risk their destruction by leaving themselves weak and defenseless. That's why Iran keeps building its offensive and defensive capability. The main reason China is building and militarizing Islands in the South China sea. So China won't be stupid to enter any arms reduction treaty with the U.S.

3 Likes

Re: China Challenges U.S. To Cut Nuclear Arsenal To Matching Level by Unnerve: 7:52pm On Jul 08, 2020
dermmy:

Lies, you won't act the same way. America has bases in the pacific with missiles pointed at China and you want China to join an arms control agreement with U.S.

America has moved its strategic assets to the pacific to counter China's rise it is called "U.S pivot to Asia" and you think China would limit its arms in the face of such threat?

A world where America keeps surrounding its percieved foes with military bases those countries won't risk their destruction by leaving themselves weak and defenseless. That's why Iran keeps building its offensive and defensive capability. The main reason China is building and militarizing Islands in the South China sea. So China won't be stupid to enter any arms reduction treaty with the U.S.
How is any of this different from the message in my comment?

1 Like

Re: China Challenges U.S. To Cut Nuclear Arsenal To Matching Level by dermmy(m): 8:03pm On Jul 08, 2020
Unnerve:

How is any of this different from the message in my comment?

That means i misunderstood that first line. Thought you wanted China to join the arms limitation treaty. You know China was never part of it from the beginning.

1 Like

Re: China Challenges U.S. To Cut Nuclear Arsenal To Matching Level by Unnerve: 8:08pm On Jul 08, 2020
dermmy:

That means i misunderstood that first line. Thought you wanted China to join the arms limitation treaty. You know China was never part of it from the beginning.
I'm with China on this

3 Likes

(1) (Reply)

'Trump Wanted To Sell Puerto Rico In Response To Hurricane Maria' / Ivory Coast Dictator Allassane Ouattara Running For 3rd Term / Throwback Video Of Joe Biden Blasting South Africa's Apartheid Regime, July 1986

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.