Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,466 members, 7,826,770 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 08:05 PM

How We Get The Name Jesus From Yehoshua - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How We Get The Name Jesus From Yehoshua (282 Views)

Why Did The Name Jesus Replace Yeshua / "His Name Is Not Jesus" - Daddy Freeze Condemns The Name 'Jesus' / Can Somebody Explain To Me How We Arrived At The Name "Jesus"? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How We Get The Name Jesus From Yehoshua by jamesid29(m): 8:10am On Jul 09, 2020
Seems like the question is becoming important to some people so I figured I do a writeup about it to the best of my knowledge.

So firstly, a bit of background:
When translating from one language to another, we have the options of either translating the words(I.e finding equivalent words in the target language with the same meaning as the words in the source language) or we transliterate them(Meaning: changing the letters from the source language into the corresponding, similar-sounding letters in the target language). Basically in the case of a transliteration, we are creating a whole new word in the target language and this new word only gets its meaning from its source language.

The goal most of the time is to stick to translating words as much as possible but transliteration is sometimes the preferred option in a couple of sceneries
• The word is indigenous to only its culture and there is no substitute for it in the target language. Example sharwama, gbegiri etc.

• The word is a proper name, like the name of a person or a place.
Example: Adé lọ si ìlú Ìbàdàn (Yoruba).
In this case it would be weird if we translated Adé and Ìbàdàn to give us "Crown went to the city of the edge of the meadow(atleast that's the etymology of Ibadan i could find)".
It's pretty easy to see how we would quickly run into problems and confusion if we try to translate the proper names.
To get a more accurate translation for the sentence above,we do a transliteration for the proper names and get "Ade went to the city of Ibadan".
In this instance we just created two new words (Ade & Ibadan) that do not exist and have no meaning in English but they get their meaning from the their language, Yoruba.
Lets take a proper name in a language that does not share alphabets with English to drive home the point.
Владимир (Russian: loosely meaning "great ruler, to rule greatly,ruler of the world/peace [modern]).
As it's a proper name we do a transliteration to find equivalent alphabets in English that match on to the russian ones as best as possible.
В = V
Л = L
А = A
Д = D and so on until we get the English word Vladimir(the first name of Russia's current president).
Again this word has no meaning in English but it gets its meaning from the Russian word Владимир.

One thing to note is that transliteration is not an exact science as there would be instances when there is no equivalent alphabet or sound In the target language. For example there are sounds in Arabic or Southern African languages (think the gods must be crazy movie) that have no direct equivalent sounds or alphabets in English. At other times, the rules of grammar in between languages can also affect how words get transliterated. In both these cases ,words would inevitably loose some of their sounds during transliteration.

With that background,we can walk through how get Jesus from Yehoshua in the next post.
Re: How We Get The Name Jesus From Yehoshua by sylve11: 8:14am On Jul 09, 2020
Okay o. cool
Re: How We Get The Name Jesus From Yehoshua by jamesid29(m): 8:17am On Jul 09, 2020
The Hebrew name of the Lord is Yehoshua, which is also the name of Moses's successor (Joshua son of Nun) and the high priest in the book of Ezra .The meaning of the name in its literal form mean Yahweh saves or Yahweh is my/our salvation if you want to put it in proper English grammar.
Sometime after the Jewish exile the name was shortened to Yeshua and was a common name for Jewish males.
Because of the exile and subsequent settlement of Jews outside of Isreal many Jews living in diaspora weren't conversant with Hebrew and couldn't read the tanak(Jewish Bible/ Old testament) on their own. Not too different from how 2nd or 3rd generation of Nigerians born in Europe can't speak any Nigerian language.

Alexander the Great's conquest of the then-known world gave everyone a unified language, Greek. From this we get the Jewish Bible translated into greek around the 3rd/ 2nd century bc. This translation commonly known as the Septuagint or the LXX was the unifying translation for Jews everywhere during the greco-roman period and was also the translation the new testament authors quoted from when quoting the old testament.

It is from this translation we get the earliest greek transliteration for the name Yeshua. Basically it goes like this:
Y: In Greek there is no specific letter that
indicates the “y”-sound. The letter “I” used with the “apostrophe”-symbol at the top left is used to indicate the sound “Y”.
E: The closest equivalent Greek sound to the “e” of Yeshua is the η. This sounds like “ey” as in they.
SH: In Greek there is no “sh” sound like the Hebrew shin in Yeshua, and therefore the “s”-sound is used as a substitute.
U: The “u” of Yeshua sounds like Luke, and it correlates with the Greek οῦ.
A: Because greek is a case-ending language, the “a” at the end of Yeshua is dropped and replaced with “s” (ς) to indicate it's a masculine noun(name).
At the end we get Ἰησοῦs (the ending s here is to denote masculinity of the name in the normative case).
In English letters it would look like IESOUS(pronounced as ee-ay-soos). This was how the name was transliterated into greek long before Jesus was born.

The new testament was written in greek so the authors followed the Septuagint transliteration by using Iesous in it for multiple people. Other Jewish writers writing in the same time period in greek (Josephus , Philo etc) also used this transliteration for people bearing the name "Yeshua"(remember the name was fairly common at the time).
Re: How We Get The Name Jesus From Yehoshua by illicit(m): 8:22am On Jul 09, 2020
Khoisan language is a click language.
(God's must be crazy)
Re: How We Get The Name Jesus From Yehoshua by jamesid29(m): 8:28am On Jul 09, 2020
From greek the name was further transliterated into Latin which was pretty straightforward, the only thing that changed was ou being rendered as U.
IESOUS = IESUS.
As the christainity became the state religion and Latin the Lingua Franca of the church, the Latin translation of the Bible(Vulgate) became the defacto translation of christainity throughout the empire.
IESUS was the defacto pronunciation of the Jesus's name for about 1000yrs.

Originally the letter ( J ) was just a stylish way of writing( I ). Meanwhile, at this time the English language was developing and evolving from the 5th century Germanic tribe settlement of Britain (Old English).
Sometime around the 12th century, the Latin word Iesus entered into Middle English and for the next 500 years the language kept evolving, mixing with French and other languages, undergoing the great vowel shift where the letter ( I ) gets its current sound from the Middle English ( ē )as in sweet. And finally in the 16th century the letter ( J ) is differentiated from( I ) and officially enters into the Modern English with its current consonant form in the mid 17th century.

It is from this mid 17th century Modern English we get the proper name Jesus as we pronounce it today. It's also from these period we get other proper names in the Bible like Jacob, James, Jerusalem,Judah, Jeremiah,Job etc.

In summary the name Yeshua passes through greek, through Latin , through Middle English and then finally gets to us in Modern English as Jesus.
Yeshua -> Iesous -> Iesus -> Jesus

Just as Ade and Vladimir retain their meanings from their source languages, the names Jesus also retains its meaning from its Hebrew roots.
Similarly Peter, Petrus, Pierre,Pedro, Bitrus ,Петър all have no meaning in their respective languages but get their meaning from one source Πέτρος(meaning stone).
Re: How We Get The Name Jesus From Yehoshua by Nobody: 9:48am On Jul 09, 2020
jamesid29:
Seems like the question is becoming important to some people so I figured I do a writeup about it to the best of my knowledge.

So firstly, a bit of background:
When translating from one language to another, we have the options of either translating the words(I.e finding equivalent words in the target language with the same meaning as the words in the source language) or we transliterate them(Meaning: changing the letters from the source language into the corresponding, similar-sounding letters in the target language). Basically in the case of a transliteration, we are creating a whole new word in the target language and this new word only gets its meaning from its source language.

The goal most of the time is to stick to translating words as much as possible but transliteration is sometimes the preferred option in a couple of sceneries
• The word is indigenous to only its culture and there is no substitute for it in the target language. Example sharwama, gbegiri etc.

• The word is a proper name, like the name of a person or a place.
Example: Adé lọ si ìlú Ìbàdàn (Yoruba).
In this case it would be weird if we translated Adé and Ìbàdàn to give us "Crown went to the city of the edge of the meadow(atleast that's the etymology of Ibadan i could find)".
It's pretty easy to see how we would quickly run into problems and confusion if we try to translate the proper names.
To get a more accurate translation for the sentence above,we do a transliteration for the proper names and get "Ade went to the city of Ibadan".
In this instance we just created two new words (Ade & Ibadan) that do not exist and have no meaning in English but they get their meaning from the their language, Yoruba.
Lets take a proper name in a language that does not share alphabets with English to drive home the point.
Владимир (Russian: loosely meaning "great ruler, to rule greatly,ruler of the world/peace [modern]).
As it's a proper name we do a transliteration to find equivalent alphabets in English that match on to the russian ones as best as possible.
В = V
Л = L
А = A
Д = D and so on until we get the English word Vladimir(the first name of Russia's current president).
Again this word has no meaning in English but it gets its meaning from the Russian word Владимир.

One thing to note is that transliteration is not an exact science as there would be instances when there is no equivalent alphabet or sound In the target language. For example there are sounds in Arabic or Southern African languages (think the gods must be crazy movie) that have no direct equivalent sounds or alphabets in English. At other times, the rules of grammar in between languages can also affect how words get transliterated. In both these cases ,words would inevitably loose some of their sounds during transliteration.

With that background,we can walk through how get Jesus from Yehoshua in the next post.

How were names transliterated from Arabic? Those absolute muppets read from right to left ffs!
Re: How We Get The Name Jesus From Yehoshua by MuttleyLaff: 8:15pm On Aug 03, 2020
HedwigesMaduro:
How were names transliterated from Arabic? Those absolute muppets read from right to left ffs!
It might interest you to know that, Hebrew, too, is read from right to left

(1) (Reply)

Don't Let Greed Control You, Control It. / Inspire others with your TESTIMONY @rhemaformula / False teachers will try to teach you to be part Of the Beast Governments

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.