Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,849 members, 7,810,273 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:15 AM

Review Of NOI's Fighting Corruption Is Dangerous. - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Review Of NOI's Fighting Corruption Is Dangerous. (278 Views)

Fighting Corruption Is Dangerous By Ngozi Okonjo Iweala / 'The Road To Victoria Island’: A Review Of Suraj Tunji Oyewale’s Book / Book Review: Fighting Corruption Is Dangerous (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Review Of NOI's Fighting Corruption Is Dangerous. by Raustin(m): 11:18am On Jul 12, 2020
Reading NOI's Fighting Corruption is Dangerous.

I've come to admit that being a good person and having a good conscience in Nigeria is a liability.

For NOI to survive all the allegations that people threw at her despite being a finance minister for seven years (cumulatively) showed she is a woman of integrity. Whether she's a good economist or effective financial manager is another question. But as to her integrity there is no doubt. She is also a bold woman. Strong enough to risk so much for her country.

Of course It is true that being a minister adds to her professional experience and she enjoyed the privileges associated with it it is still a commendable feat for her to chose to serve.

I'm done the book and I'm excited to see how she exonerated herself from all the allegations associated with the GEJ administration. The fact that she still got international jobs after her tenure shows that she wasn't involved in any act of corruption.

I just learned from reading NOI's book that TSA and IPPIS GFMIS where initiatives that dated as far back as Obasanjo's Presidency. I'm shook. It took us three Presidents to implement financial reform. We have good policies in Nigeria, where the problem is speed and effectiveness in implementation.

Understanding the reason why this instruments were put in place in the first place has made ASUU to lose all it's credibility in my eyes. The system was designed for better financial accountability and transparency,yet ASUU that is supposed to be the most civilised and progressive Union is kicking against it and insisting on modifications to suit their sinister agenda of money laundering.
How do we solve the problem of implementation in Nigeria?

How do we solve this issue? We need people with the same set of values like NOI, Dora Akunyilili and Elrufai (when he was FCT minister.)

I mean people with strong personal resolve to implement policy without fear or favor.

As I read this Book by NOI, I get to see how difficult it is to run a stable and good government in Nigeria. This is because our value system celebrates personal gains over national interest.

We as a people are not so different from our leaders. The average Nigerian has no idea what accountability means. If you give a tailor your clothe and a deadline for him to meet up, you'll likely be disappointed as he will definitely fail to meet deadlines.

It's our individual lack of integrity and accountability that has made it difficult for us to to demand the same from our leaders. I don't mean staging a "revolution" protest in Abuja ooo.

I mean getting in touch with your grassroot politicians and asking them hard questions.

How many Nigerians know the names of their Local Government councillors? Have you requested a meeting with your state and federal legislature asking him his input to national policy formation? Or the only time you seek their attention is to ask for personal favours?

It is a gross misplacement of energy for you to focus on the federal Government when you can't even talk to your Council Chairman.

We love wasting our energy on imaginary enemies. Just the same way we ascribe every misfortune in life to witches and wizards.

I feel so sorry for myself and the youth. We complain so much about the government but will do nothing to make a change. We hide behind our online petitions and the safety of our WhatsApp groups to speak big grammar without ever attending a single town hall meeting held by our legislators.

I personally think that most of us in Nigeria deserve the kind of leaders that we get because our leaders are a very good reflection of collective values as country.

We don't deserve the likes of Ngozi Okonjo Iweala

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

The Weird Ghost EP 1 / Short Story. Title: Stop Me / Ana To Celebrate Soyinka’s The Man Died At 50

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.