Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,424 members, 7,819,523 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:34 PM

Nnedi Okorafor's Binta - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Nnedi Okorafor's Binta (294 Views)

Nnedi Okorafor Celebrates Her 46th Birthday Today / Between Nnedi Okorafor & Upcoming Author She Told 'Talk Is Cheap' / Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Nnedi Okorafor, Nominated For Nobel Prize (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Nnedi Okorafor's Binta by Raustin(m): 2:43pm On Jul 12, 2020
Nnedi Okorafor's Binta

I've been reading Binta by Nnedi Okorafor.
The book is very similar to Who fears death and Akata Witch.
It's main protagonist is a young woman who at the beginning of the story is about to complete her 11th Year rights.
It uses the wilderness. It describes a fluidity between magic and science or aptly put it elevates science and technology to a futuristic level where it is almost supernatural.

The Young Protagonist is faced with a malignant evil, I must add that all the antagonists her books I've read so far are men who have held important positions in societies.

Nnedi's books have a strange fascination with reinventing death. She describes death through the experiences of her lead character as both a height of spirituality and a n ultimate end that should be anticipated instead of dreaded.
My attraction to her works is the fantasy.
She uses her vivid imagination to evoke and conjure the world in which her story is set.

Although all authors are distinct in themselves and comparison wouldn't do much justice, it's very easy to notice how Nnedi's vivid creation of fantasy is similar to JRR Tolkien's, at least in my own opinion.

I observe something about Nnedi Okorafor and Chinua Achebe . Achebe's Wikipedia page identifies his nationality as Igbo. The same way Nnedi's Biography on her Akata Which Identifies her Parents as Igbo (with Nigerian in Parentheses).

This is another reflection of strong autonomous spirit that Igbos have. Could it be due to the growing disenchantment with Nigeria as a country or due to,on Achebe's Part, the fact that he was once a Biafran ,(and still is at heart)?

(1) (Reply)

Not My First Time Poem / Unexpected Result / Download the #EndSARS Anthology

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.