Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,333 members, 7,819,142 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:51 AM

What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks (63966 Views)

Poll: Will you give your children tribal marks?

Yes: 10% (15 votes)
No: 89% (128 votes)
This poll has ended

Photos: Are Tribal Marks Attractive Or Repulsive? / Culture Or Cruelty? Do We Still Need Tribal Marks?(pics) / Real Authentic Yoruba Tribal Mark (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Freewilly(f): 5:07am On Jun 23, 2007
Proverbial, there's really no need for you to be so rude to ghettochyk I don't see what she's done to you. If you Yoruba and you know the significance of the tribal marks pls shear with us and quit being rude.
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by ghettochyk(f): 5:10am On Jun 23, 2007
ThiefOfHearts:

I guess that makes it all better eh?

Lmao  cheesy

You guys are mere jesters. Thanks for the laugh.  smiley
i guess that's the only thing you could comprehend in my post. fools laugh when they don't understand or when they find themselves incompetent. keep laughing, i would too if i was in your situation.  wink
well, thanks for taking the break and making an escape. you have saved me precious time. I hate to go back and forth with incompetent folks anyways. to think that i actually was about to have a debate or discussion with someone competent enough in doing so. smiley
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by proverbial: 5:11am On Jun 23, 2007
irst of all, you don't know me and it aint goin get you nowhere to act like you do.

2nd off, do you know the meaning od the word "cowardly"? if so, you'd know that you're using it out of context.

just in case you don't know, and i'm sure you don't, a coward is a person who shows fear. what have written that displays fear?
Thank you. I don't know you, nor do I want to.  Your nauseating display of senselessness, brings shame upon you, and pushes me farther away from you.

How is it out of context.  A very good question was raised, and you're taking the easy way out by saying,  "oh it is barbaric" - I consider that cowardice.
characteristic of or befitting a coward; despicably mean, covert, unprincipled, fearful of opposition.
you dear user, exhibit these qualities.
grin improperly developed tenth grader attempting to teach me grammar usage, what is this world turning to. grin
cheers  wink.

Proverbial, there's really no need for you to be so rude to ghettochyk I don't see what she's done to you. If you Yoruba and you know the significance of the tribal marks please shear with us and quit being rude.
I apologize. She's yet to make a statement that warrants a different attitude(at least from me) towards her.
About the significance of the tribal marks, read my first post.
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Freewilly(f): 5:13am On Jun 23, 2007
@ nurse007

Thank you for the picture wow shocked
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by ghettochyk(f): 5:13am On Jun 23, 2007
Freewilly:

Proverbial, there's really no need for you to be so rude to ghettochyk I don't see what she's done to you. If you Yoruba and you know the significance of the tribal marks please shear with us and quit being rude.
don't mind his dumbass. he's just rebelling because his ignorant parents have decided to make him get into a fight with a razor blade and made sure that he lost. stupid and hopelessly useless cock sucker.
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Nurse007(m): 5:14am On Jun 23, 2007
are this marks from the yoruba tribe or hausa? wink

Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by ghettochyk(f): 5:17am On Jun 23, 2007
sorry freewilly. i couldn't find any. i guess no one wanted to pose for a picture.

but the ones i've seen live look much worse than that.
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by proverbial: 5:18am On Jun 23, 2007
don't mind his dumbass. he's just rebelling because his ignorant parents have decided to make him get into a fight with a razor blade and made sure that he lost. stupid and hopelessly useless cock sucker.
This is what I'm getting at. Pathetic display of foolishness. Needst I say more?
I'm done addressing you.
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by spoilt(f): 5:20am On Jun 23, 2007
people quit bickering. grin
how did the osu angle even come in?

in as much as we know why facial markings were done back in the day what is the purpose in 2007? because i still dey see am!.
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by ghettochyk(f): 5:21am On Jun 23, 2007
proverbial:

This is what I'm getting at. Pathetic display of foolishness. Needst I say more?
I'm done addressing you.
yes. and your still an asshole!! take it or leave it stupid ass fucker!!!! come back and i'll give your punk ass some more. you don't know who da fxck i am so don't you ever come up in here and try to talk shit about me when i aint even seen ur ass before. mudda fucca. **rolling eyes**

spoilt:

people quit bickering. grin
how did the osu angle even come in?

in as much as we know why facial markings were done back in the day what is the purpose in 2007? because i still dey see am!.

thank you!!!
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Freewilly(f): 5:27am On Jun 23, 2007
@ ghettochyk

Pls don't let proverbial spoil your weekend. I don't know why they being so defence about the marks. To hell with it, I don't give a rat's ass about some stupid marks anymore.
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by proverbial: 5:28am On Jun 23, 2007
freewilly,
birds of the same feather, flock together.  If you didn't give a rat's butt about the so-called stupid marks, why ask to see them.
spoilt,
perhaps the cultures or tribes that practice this still hold the same beliefs, irrespective of what year it is?
have you thought of that.
ghettochyk,
continue foaming at the mouth like a ghettogirl, I'm getting a kick out of your lack of self-inflicted moral training. tongue

Teenagers of nowadays worry me with their level of idiocy.
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by ghettochyk(f): 5:32am On Jun 23, 2007
Freewilly:

@ ghettochyk

Please don't let proverbial spoil your weekend. I don't know why they being so defence about the marks. To hell with it, I don't give a rat's ass about some stupid marks anymore.
touts can't spoil my weekend boo. he wanted "ghetto" and his behind got it. haha!!!

gurrlll, you know i can be a lady smiley

like i said before, i don't really care about their tradition. if dats what they like to do, then so be it. but if i think it's wrong, aint nothing going change it. most people will think the same anyways but i'm sure they aint going be tryna attack all dem folks right?
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by ghettochyk(f): 5:33am On Jun 23, 2007
@proverbial
don't confuse me for your harlot sister that's foaming at the mouth. wink

wtf are u getting so defensive? leave Freewilly alone. it's not here fault dat ur in the condition ur in.

fucking self-servicer. go wash your damn hands bitch. tongue
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Ikomi(m): 5:34am On Jun 23, 2007
I think the triabal mark is destructive to the face. I think I should have kept  quiet.  lipsrsealed
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Ikomi(m): 5:35am On Jun 23, 2007
ghettochyk:

fucking self-servicer. go wash your damn hands bitch. tongue

All dat from u? lol
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by ghettochyk(f): 5:35am On Jun 23, 2007
Ikomi:

I think the trabal marks are destructive to the face. I think I should have kept  quiet.  lipsrsealed
lol!!! no. don't be scurred. Proverbial's big ass mouth aint going do shyt. like his name, he can only speak, and self-service i guess.  grin

soon, he'll call u a coward for thinking so. i guess i'm a coward if i refuse to get fuglied up with a damn razor. tongue
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Nurse007(m): 5:36am On Jun 23, 2007
Ikomi:

I think the triabal mark is destructive to the face. I think I should have kept quiet. lipsrsealed

grin
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by proverbial: 5:37am On Jun 23, 2007
hehehehe ghettochyk you funny bloke, you wouldn't dare say that to my face if your parents dared you hobo(keep that in mind)  cool, that's why I'm making a mockery of you.
Thanks for the comedy, it was enjoyable while it lasted.
One last suggestion before I exit the thread; get some education while you're still young, it usually develops your mind, and pays off in the real world. shocked
they teach you stuffs like, when to use "you're" and when to use "your"
cheers, some insultive ignorant teenagers who know no better have hijacked this thread grin
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by ghettochyk(f): 5:37am On Jun 23, 2007
Ikomi:

All that from u? lol
hell yeah. dat stupid bagga. hisssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Freewilly(f): 5:39am On Jun 23, 2007
Seriously why would any parent subject their kid to such a destructive mark. cry cry cry my heart goes out to those poor kids cry cry
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by ghettochyk(f): 5:40am On Jun 23, 2007
proverbial:

hehehehe ghettochyk you funny bloke, you wouldn't dare say that to my face if your parents dared you hobo  cool, that's why I'm making a mockery of you.
Thanks for the comedy, it was enjoyable while it lasted.
One last suggestion before I exit the thread; get some education while you're still young, it usually develops your mind, and pays off in the real world. shocked
cheers grin.

lmao!! if laughing makes you feel better, then keep laughing. i thot you were done with me? don't cry yourself to sleep boo. i'd save dat education for you. at least so you can learn the definition of coward of something.

i wouldn't dare say dat to ur face. i don't want no damn nightmares. fucking bamma.
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by ghettochyk(f): 5:40am On Jun 23, 2007
Freewilly:

Seriously why would any parent subject their kid to such a destructive mark. cry cry cry my heart goes out to those poor kids cry cry

cry cry cry cry cry cry
mine too. *sniffles*
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Ikomi(m): 5:42am On Jun 23, 2007
Freewilly:

Its done for recognition. So if the kid is lost he/she could be easily found. And I bet u it works. lol
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Ikomi(m): 5:43am On Jun 23, 2007
I don comot here no be me and una. wink
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by ghettochyk(f): 5:43am On Jun 23, 2007
Ikomi:

Its done for recognition. So if the kid is lost he/she could be easily found. And I bet u it works. lol
olden day GPS system huh?

Ikomi:

I don comot here no be me and una. wink
haha!!! u aint goin nowhere!!! cheesy
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Freewilly(f): 5:44am On Jun 23, 2007
Ikomi:

You are so full of it grin  grin so each kid has a distinctive mark wow
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by ThiefOfHearts(f): 6:38am On Jun 23, 2007
uess that's the only thing you could comprehend in my post. fools laugh when they don't understand or when they find themselves incompetent. keep laughing, i would too if i was in your situation. 
well, thanks for taking the break and making an escape. you have saved me precious time. I hate to go back and forth with incompetent folks anyways. to think that i actually was about to have a debate or discussion with someone competent enough in doing so

blah blah blah please just be quiet. apparently "competent" is your word of the day. such a boring sermon from someone with "no precious time to waste"

Freaking hypocrites. when non Igbos were going on about osu stuff, you were all crying like bush babies saying that we don't know what it's about and that they don't even do it anymore, yet we are saying the same about tribal marks and now you have the audacity to run your mouths.

You wanted the significance, I gave it to you along with laudate's post and obviously it wasnt not good enough for you people because the true intention wasnt to learn but to ridicule. ara yin len ton je. nonsense.[quote][/quote]
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by ThiefOfHearts(f): 6:51am On Jun 23, 2007
spoilt, why do you still have people in this day and age(I have the thread proving it) still saying they would never have anything to do with people with osu roots? marriage or business wise. At leaast those with tribals can still marry, back then and now.

Im not gonna lie and say that I dont think it's pretty damn retarded to still be putting tribal marks on people cos in my own personal opinion it is but i guess nah their own problem be that.

Osu was brought in cos any idiot could tell that the main intention for this thread or the people contibuting wasnt to learn, like Iman mentioned it's all about being sardonic and i was merely showing the hypocrisy of the same people who were weeping in that other thread are how they are now yaning dust in this one.

They arent fooling anyone.
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by TerraCotta(m): 4:09pm On Jun 23, 2007
[i]Ila [/i]is the word for traditional Yoruba cicatrization ("scarification"wink. They were made for a variety of different reasons, but mainly to differentiate between the different sub-groups of Yoruba-speaking people during wars. This became important during the slave-trading era of the 18th and 19th century, because people from different city-states like Ibadan, Ijebu, Ilesa etc. used cicatrizations to quickly distinguish between allies and members of their own group and their 'enemies' who could be sold. Some families elected to continue the custom, but it is far from a common practice these days. I think it was actually banned in Ekiti State last year. Bishop Samuel Johnson, a clergyman from present-day Oyo state who wrote a comprehensive book called "The History of the Yorubas", describes the shapes and meanings of the various types of cicatrizations. Illustrations are also provided in the book, for those who are interested.

There were/are also forms of [i]ila [/i]done as traditional tattooing, i.e. purely for aesthetic reasons. These are called [i]kolo [/i]and are not generally put on children (or on faces, for that matter). Adults chose them and they can depict a variety of things, from representations of animals and scenic places to abstract designs. Both types of cicatrizations are fairly rare these days.

Cicatrization is common to many ethnic groups in West Africa, and to most ethnic groups in Nigeria. It seems that many Nigerians commenting in this thread are not familiar with their own cultures, so it's funny to read some of the comments about Yoruba practices. Those who wish to spend a little less time studying ghetto culture and familiarizing themselves with their own should read about ichi/ichie, which is the Igbo term for extensive facial cicatrization. Ozo titleholders in southeastern Nigeria traditionally had their entire faces covered with lines to signify their titled place in society. It is very rare to see a traditionally tattooed ozo titleholder these days, as the practice is dying out, but it was formerly an extremely high honor in places like Nri and Awka, which are considered to be ancestral homes of Igbo culture.

Threads like this is why Nairaland bores many people these days--as TOH says, it's plain to see that the thread starter wasn't interested in posting an 'innocent' question and that many of the derogatory remarks are left by people who feel compelled to comment on anything regarding their 'rival' ethnic groups. Read a book, or go outdoors and talk to fellow Nigerians every once in a while.
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by ghettochyk(f): 7:14pm On Jun 23, 2007
@ TOH

learn to stick to the point. nowhere in the title of the thread is "osu" discussed. and i'm sure u aint seen me in no osu thread.
well, whether u like it or not, i've said my piece. if u like it good for u, if you don't go find urself a rope and a cliff
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by GNature(m): 7:31pm On Jun 23, 2007
Shouldn't the thread topic say "What is the significance of Nigerian Tribal Marks" ? The yorubas are not the only ones with tribal marks in Nigeria, so why single them out ?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

A "Super-sweet" Collection Of Hausa Proverbs / Slavery in the United States (1775-1865) / Somali-Sudanese Wedding

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.