Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,384 members, 7,819,393 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:29 PM

Data Scientist Or A Software Developer/engineer Which One Is More Promising? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Data Scientist Or A Software Developer/engineer Which One Is More Promising? (1256 Views)

Data Scientist Or A Software Developer/engineer Which One Is More Promising? / After Promising Marriage, Lady Gets Her Boyfriend Beaten For Trying To Dump Her / Girl Sues Gary Tight $10,000k For Promising To Marry Her But Failed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Data Scientist Or A Software Developer/engineer Which One Is More Promising? by KlausMichaelson: 7:48pm On Jul 14, 2020
Please pardon me for posting this year. Nobody is responding in the other section where I posted it, I really don't know why But I believe this section is the most active.

Back to the topic.
Good evening house, I'll really love us to discuss about this as this is a career decision I'm about taking. Others may learn from it too.

In terms of Salary and Job opportunity which among the two is more promising? A Data Scientist or a software developer/Engineer?

Thanks as I anticipate your contributions.

1 Like

Re: Data Scientist Or A Software Developer/engineer Which One Is More Promising? by TheGenius001: 7:53pm On Jul 14, 2020
Data Scientist is preferable for me. Software developers/engineers are saturated.
Re: Data Scientist Or A Software Developer/engineer Which One Is More Promising? by TheGenius001: 7:54pm On Jul 14, 2020
Re: Data Scientist Or A Software Developer/engineer Which One Is More Promising? by igboarenice: 7:55pm On Jul 14, 2020
Go for software development and thanks me later.
I'm tempted to share my experience here but i resist the urge

1 Like

Re: Data Scientist Or A Software Developer/engineer Which One Is More Promising? by igboarenice: 7:56pm On Jul 14, 2020
TheGenius001:
Data Scientist is preferable for me. Software developers/engineers are saturated.
Believe me Data science is the most saturated field you will ever come across

1 Like

Re: Data Scientist Or A Software Developer/engineer Which One Is More Promising? by TheGenius001: 7:59pm On Jul 14, 2020
igboarenice:

Believe me Data science is the most saturated field you will ever come across

Are you for real?
Data Science is still at it's cradle stage here in Nigeria and globally. There are much more jobs than the qualified candidates.
Software development is cool but like I said earlier, it is saturated.
Re: Data Scientist Or A Software Developer/engineer Which One Is More Promising? by KlausMichaelson: 8:02pm On Jul 14, 2020
igboarenice:
Go for software development and thanks me later.
I'm tempted to share my experience here but i resist the urge

Please Share your experience, it will go a long way. I beg you.
Re: Data Scientist Or A Software Developer/engineer Which One Is More Promising? by igboarenice: 8:05pm On Jul 14, 2020
TheGenius001:

Are you for real?
Data Science is still at it's cradle stage here in Nigeria and globally. There are much more jobs than the qualified candidates.
Software development is cool but like I said earlier, it is saturated.
Data science is in cradle stage yes
There are much more jobs than the qualified candidates No
I learnt everything there is to learn in data science
Numpy, pandas, machine learning etc
Luck did not smile on me until i learn web development using django.
I'm not discouraging him sha.
I'm unlucky in data science that's my story may not be his.

2 Likes

Re: Data Scientist Or A Software Developer/engineer Which One Is More Promising? by KlausMichaelson: 8:15pm On Jul 14, 2020
igboarenice:

Data science is in cradle stage yes
There are much more jobs than the qualified candidates No
I learnt everything there is to learn in data science
Numpy, pandas, machine learning etc
Luck did not smile on me until i learn web development using django.
I'm not discouraging him sha.
I'm unlucky in data science that's my story may not be his.

Please share story. I need motivation.
Are you only proficient in Django? I also believe Django needs a knowledge of python.
Re: Data Scientist Or A Software Developer/engineer Which One Is More Promising? by Wonderboy1(m): 8:31pm On Jul 14, 2020
My brother, please go for software development..

Nigeria is not ready yet for ds... There are more jobs available for software dev compared to ds in Nigeria, as a software dev guru, you would find it easy to learn your ds later and be able to output it into production..

My brother, go for software dev(mern and the likes).

My 2cents.

1 Like

Re: Data Scientist Or A Software Developer/engineer Which One Is More Promising? by Codepain: 8:39pm On Jul 14, 2020
KlausMichaelson:
Please pardon me for posting this year. Nobody is responding in the other section where I posted it, I really don't know why But I believe this section is the most active.

Back to the topic.
Good evening house, I'll really love us to discuss about this as this is a career decision I'm about taking. Others may learn from it too.

In terms of Salary and Job opportunity which among the two is more promising? A Data Scientist or a software developer/Engineer?

Thanks as I anticipate your contributions.
I studied mathematics as you might have guess No companies will employ a raw mathematics graduate as there are little theorems to prove
So i settled for teaching sec school students mathematics.
My teaching experience is no different from others, overworked and underpaid i know that's no the life i wanted
One fateful day i was on job site they advertised for a data scientist job i check the requirement
1. Graduate of mathematics, statistics or computer science,
2. Must know python or R
3. SQl database among others

And the pay is 250k.
I was excited about the pay i know i can learn whatever i needed to learn to be a data scientist
I researched online the more i search the more i love the field more. I knew i found whatever i'm looking for.
So i resigned my job to learn data science months and months of serious learning, books
Pluralsight, youtube, udemy etc. Watching and learning how the best in the field does it
I feel job ready.
So i started searching for data science jobs only one company venture garden group sent me a computer test unfortunately i missed the test
I paid "professional" to do my cv results was not any better.
No Data science jobs was forthcoming more than a year after i resigned my job
I was unhappy as no salary was coming and bills keep rising but i'm satisfied as i know i only need to wait for opportunity to present itself

2 Likes

Re: Data Scientist Or A Software Developer/engineer Which One Is More Promising? by KlausMichaelson: 8:49pm On Jul 14, 2020
Codepain:

I studied mathematics as you might have guess No companies will employ a raw mathematics graduate as there are little theorems to prove
So i settled for teaching sec school students mathematics.
My teaching experience is no different from others, overworked and underpaid i know that's no the life i wanted
One fateful day i was on job site they advertised for a data scientist job i check the requirement
1. Graduate of mathematics, statistics or computer science,
2. Must know python or R
3. SQl database among others

And the pay is 250k.
I was excited about the pay i know i can learn whatever i needed to learn to be a data scientist
I researched online the more i search the more i love the field more. I knew i found whatever i'm looking for.
So i resigned my job to learn data science months and months of serious learning, books
Pluralsight, youtube, udemy etc. Watching and learning how the best in the field does it
I feel job ready.
So i started searching for data science jobs only one company venture garden group sent me a computer test unfortunately i missed the test
I paid "professional" to do my cv results was not any better.
No Data science jobs was forthcoming more than a year after i resigned my job
I was unhappy as no salary was coming and bills keep rising but i'm satisfied as i know i only need to wait for opportunity to present itself

This means Data Science is not really a hot cake as they make it seem. It also seems to be that it's meant for those in Maths, Computer Science and the likes.

I will need to deviate from that path of becoming a Data Scientist to becoming a Software developer.
Thanks for your contribution. I simply wish you all the best and success in your endeavors. Keep pushing, the job will surely come.

2 Likes

Re: Data Scientist Or A Software Developer/engineer Which One Is More Promising? by igboarenice: 8:50pm On Jul 14, 2020
KlausMichaelson:

Please share story. I need motivation.
Are you only proficient in Django? I also believe Django needs a knowledge of python.
Yes Django is 100% based on python
You need to learn python class, function, condition statement etc to understand django.
Re: Data Scientist Or A Software Developer/engineer Which One Is More Promising? by KlausMichaelson: 9:08pm On Jul 14, 2020
igboarenice:

Yes Django is 100% based on python
You need to learn python class, function, condition statement etc to understand django.
That's good for me then cos I'm more of an intermediate in Python. Software development is the one for me then. Thanks
Re: Data Scientist Or A Software Developer/engineer Which One Is More Promising? by Wonderboy1(m): 10:53pm On Jul 14, 2020
One thing about ds is you need to start early to be able to acquire the knowledge required..like in nigeria, you can start from data analyst, you can grow from there.
Intelligent analyst is still part of ds
KlausMichaelson:

This means Data Science is not really a hot cake as they make it seem. It also seems to be that it's meant for those in Maths, Computer Science and the likes.

I will need to deviate from that path of becoming a Data Scientist to becoming a Software developer.
Thanks for your contribution. I simply wish you all the best and success in your endeavors. Keep pushing, the job will surely come.

(1) (Reply)

Bbnaija: Meet The Beautiful Woman Behind Laycon's Success. / Life Is Not Worth Living / Why Women Should Keep Their Father's Name After Marriage (opinion)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.