Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,194 members, 7,822,030 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:43 AM

Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? (28915 Views)

Marriage: My Mother Inlaw Calls My Wife Everyday Is It Proper? / Man To End Marriage Of 16 Years With His Wife After Discovering Her Real Age / 21-Year-Old Lady Discovers Her Dad Was Not Her Real Father In A Biology Class (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by Nobody: 3:25pm On Jul 17, 2020
JidennaJason:
They see it as the new swag...

One even made it mandatory to call her "bae" Ram boy while she requested to be called "bittch"

Imagine Ariza.

These ones just marry. The tools wey dem dey hail go soon dey pain dem. That's if they don't tire out first
Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by Ytea(f): 3:39pm On Jul 17, 2020
I'll call my husband babe everywhere and anywhere.

1 Like

Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by Nobody: 3:40pm On Jul 17, 2020
Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by jaxxy(m): 3:42pm On Jul 17, 2020
Anything that rocks ur boat.
Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by Lekute: 3:44pm On Jul 17, 2020
Wow, me i prefer 'my sugar' 'my sweetheart' 'my chinchin' 'my crown' 'my handsome'........................
But, if i hear my headcow or my brokenheart or cockroach in my what?......... haa i go ves.
Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by Pataricatering(f): 3:50pm On Jul 17, 2020
Pls how does calling a name sound disrespectful ?Is there a particular sound that comes out When a name is called disrespectfully ? U really have nothing to say u just want to talk !
JidennaJason:
"The worst thing to happen to man, nah see finish"

I have heard some ladies say that if they can't call their partners "playful" names like "Big Nose" "Cow head" "Dog brain" and "Goat Mouth" they ain't in a relationship with the right person.

We shouldn't get all serious in a relationship and at the same time we shouldn't give room for stupidity.

Calling me by my first name is not disrespectful, but calling it like you gave birth to me and the sole administrator of my life in public, that's where I will draw the line.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by Taurusianlady(f): 3:56pm On Jul 17, 2020
[quote author=Ariza post=91749130]Lol so you've never heard Daddy Tayo, or Daddy wa.

grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by Pataricatering(f): 3:57pm On Jul 17, 2020
Sorry o hit what happened to calling ur spouse d name their parents gave them ? If his name is John what’s wrong with calling him John ? It’s almost like d answers guys here r giving like it’s somehow rude to call ur husband by his first name or something ?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by bejeria101(m): 4:01pm On Jul 17, 2020
What do you want to call her! pubic hair or booty?
Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by spiceadole: 4:09pm On Jul 17, 2020
donstan18:
Having known that the use of romantic and lovely names is one of the common things in marriages, but I still do not think it's a yardstick to measure the respect and love your partner got for you, because some people prefer maintaining a high level of simplicity and straightforwardness in what they do.

So I would wanna know, how proper is it to address your partner by his or her real name in public places before people?

Let's see what people got to say cool

I address my husband by his first name.
He addresses me by my first name.
In private and in public places.
I do not see what is improper about that.
I'm not a fan of pet names.
Rarely,we address each other as "Dear" ..Very rarely though.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by oshorstan(f): 4:12pm On Jul 17, 2020
A child once told me that the mum calls his dad Baby. So one day he told the mother to breastfeed the father since she calls him baby.

ME: And Sarah called Abraham my Lord.
Ladies pls don't try it in public by calling your husband yeye name or first name. Remember he's not your mate. Show him that respect.
Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by earnit1: 4:15pm On Jul 17, 2020
no
Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by Ghostmode2two(m): 4:17pm On Jul 17, 2020
I don't. like the name baby. Is the. other or father that is the baby or the kids they already brought to this world?
Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by Nobody: 4:22pm On Jul 17, 2020
Pataricatering:
Pls how does calling a name sound disrespectful ?Is there a particular sound that comes out When a name is called disrespectfully ? U really have nothing to say u just want to talk !
Calm down madam, no one is the cause of your frustration today...

It's just my opinion, you could give yours instead of being aggressive like some unstable patient.

3 Likes

Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by millionboi2: 4:45pm On Jul 17, 2020
donbachi:
Just like my friend's wife calls him "bro oke"
jesus,hahaha

Not true
Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by IamNAC(m): 5:08pm On Jul 17, 2020
nicknames is the best ��
Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by DelphiOracle(m): 5:09pm On Jul 17, 2020
Pavore9:
Proper is relative, every couple have what works for them.
that's d point. Our Papa wey dey call their wives their real name their marriages dey last pass some honey n sweetie own today

1 Like

Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by illicit(m): 5:16pm On Jul 17, 2020
Yes
Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by mrkings84(m): 5:50pm On Jul 17, 2020
That's how me and 2 of my neighbors (qhusband and wife) attended an invitation from another neighbor last year. Something happened, the woman wanted to call the attention of the husband, she was saying honey, honey... The man didn't respond not until someone else called the attention of the man that the wife was calling him.... "The man was like, na me?? Sorry, not me""

The happened cos back home, the man's name is Okaofor... Not honey!!
Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by Ayennah: 5:57pm On Jul 17, 2020
I could remember when me and my wife went to visit her parent and her mum called me, then my wife Said "your attention is needed Sir" I was like for real? So surprised that i almost embarrassed her but I was proud of what she did cos we are the playful type.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by zedegit: 6:09pm On Jul 17, 2020
Ariza:
I think "Dear" is more acceptable. Nigerians don kuku normalize and bastardized the word already. Everyone nah dear. grin

The one that pains me most is underage ending every sentence with Dear in a conversation.

Imaging children calling their uncle "Dear" on Facebook.

1 Like

Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by Poseidon000: 6:32pm On Jul 17, 2020
Ariza:
I think "Dear" is more acceptable. Nigerians don kuku normalize and bastardized the word already. Everyone nah dear. grin

The one that pains me most is underage ending every sentence with Dear in a conversation.
Lol. grin

I think I'm guilty of this. It's become a pathological disposition of some sort. And many ladies I've interacted with, misconstrued it for romantic interest.

Actually, It's baffling to me why Nigerian's always see it from that spectrum, cos even oldies in the west use it as a title to address their young.
Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by GreaterFuture1(m): 6:46pm On Jul 17, 2020
fieryy:

You were not the only one waiting. I couldn't believe the nonsense I was reading as well. I can't believe calling your partner by their names is an issue. Orisirisi!
Many of the Commenters on this Thread Think differently

1 Like

Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by GreaterFuture1(m): 6:54pm On Jul 17, 2020
Chudivictor:
Okay Dear
Lol
Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by Mkayfrenzy(m): 6:57pm On Jul 17, 2020
Ordinary babe is okay
Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by Mkayfrenzy(m): 6:59pm On Jul 17, 2020
Ghostmode2two:
I don't. like the name baby. Is the. other or father that is the baby or the kids they already brought to this world?

Not baby... just babe
Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by SweetDipBenny(m): 7:15pm On Jul 17, 2020
Ain't nothing wrong with dat. I hate wen women call der husband daddy. imagine fvckin ur wife nd she'll b like o daddy o daddy. dat messed up
Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by Testimony1988(m): 7:25pm On Jul 17, 2020
There is nothing wrong with that, it depends on the names they prefer to use, some will call him with the name of his son or daughter.
Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by Babastrong(m): 7:43pm On Jul 17, 2020
Babe! You are free in my world. Call me any sweet and perfect name you like either privately/publicly.
our is unconditional love!
Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by cornelboy(f): 7:55pm On Jul 17, 2020
Ariza:
This is pure Madness.... I've heard "fish" before but I don't buy the idea.
but you could buy the fish lol.
Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by rosamaris: 8:09pm On Jul 17, 2020
If your partner is ok with it, why not?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Which Of These Childhood Treats Did You Miss? / Pastor Suspends Wedding Due To Bride's Family Member's Absence (Video) / If You Were To Name Your Child After A Nigerian Town/City, Which Will It Be?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.