Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,756 members, 7,824,169 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:18 AM

Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? (28921 Views)

Marriage: My Mother Inlaw Calls My Wife Everyday Is It Proper? / Man To End Marriage Of 16 Years With His Wife After Discovering Her Real Age / 21-Year-Old Lady Discovers Her Dad Was Not Her Real Father In A Biology Class (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by holuwajobar(m): 2:07pm On Jul 17, 2020
Ariza:
Yes nah , shebi it's your partner and it will be your break up too. grin grin
Lol.... It would end in tears
Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by Eastside22(m): 2:09pm On Jul 17, 2020
Mummyfour:
grin when I try to call the guy man my love, sweetie,and any other sweet name in private,he will look at me some how and say " what do you want now?. What do you want to buy" so he prefers i call him his name whether private or in public. We are cool with that.He feels calling him a pet name is a subtle way of catching him off guard to extort him
is it not the truth��
Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by winkmart: 2:09pm On Jul 17, 2020
Call him DADDY WA
Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by Nobody: 2:11pm On Jul 17, 2020
holuwajobar:

Lol.... It would end in tears
Lol... Please don't call her that o. Just use something else or call her her real name.
Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by phemmyfour: 2:11pm On Jul 17, 2020
donstan18:
Having known that the use of romantic and lovely names is one of the common things in marriages, but I still do not think it's a yardstick to measure the respect and love your partner got for you, because some people prefer maintaining a high level of simplicity and straightforwardness in what they do.

So I would wanna know, how proper is it to address your partner by his or her real name in public places before people?

Let's see what people got to say cool

It depends on what both of them are comfortable with. What works for couple A might not necessary work for couple B

2 Likes

Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by holuwajobar(m): 2:12pm On Jul 17, 2020
Ariza:
Lol... Please don't call her that o. Just use something else or call her her real name.
lol.... Just joking sef
Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by sonnie10: 2:13pm On Jul 17, 2020
Ariza:
I think "Dear" is the normal word people accept.

Couples can also create pet names for themselves too, in my tribe "Ayanfe" "olami" ,"ademi" are very common and people don't react negatively to such name. How they come up with them? Shorten your partner's name and personalize it by adding "Mi" ( Mine).

@ bold is hilarious in Igbo. Ola-mi kwa!
Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by RPG2020(m): 2:13pm On Jul 17, 2020
Baby is not our name ladies

Call me by my name or you face red card
Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by SirMichael1: 2:24pm On Jul 17, 2020
donbachi:
Just like my friend's wife calls him "bro oke"
Are you kidding?!
Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by Lovelyn451(f): 2:27pm On Jul 17, 2020
Make my husband dare call my real name fess, the way I'll call his own name eeh, he'll ask his parents why they gave him that name.

He either call me nkem or nothing angry

1 Like

Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by Meenabee(f): 2:29pm On Jul 17, 2020
its subjective but he deserves respect anytime,
anyway and anywhere. So i call him by his pet name with atmost respect cause he is first of all my husband.
donstan18:
Having known that the use of romantic and lovely names is one of the common things in marriages, but I still do not think it's a yardstick to measure the respect and love your partner got for you, because some people prefer maintaining a high level of simplicity and straightforwardness in what they do.

So I would wanna know, how proper is it to address your partner by his or her real name in public places before people?

Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by Farki: 2:30pm On Jul 17, 2020
Is it nairaland name you will be using?

In fact add all the names and titles His/Her Excellency Chief Dr 2 Star Major-General Senator Engineer Honeypie.
Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by olab059(m): 2:38pm On Jul 17, 2020
Ariza:
I think "Dear" is more acceptable. Nigerians don kuku normalize and bastardized the word already. Everyone nah dear. grin

The one that pains me most is underage ending every sentence with Dear in a conversation.

Lol! I wonder when this became a thing. I was chatting with one smallie the other day and she kept ending her comments with dear. I was like, shay this girl no say I fit born am like this.
Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by Powerexpert: 2:38pm On Jul 17, 2020
winkmart:
Call him DADDY WA
How many are you?
Then call him Abraham-father of many nations

1 Like

Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by stabilizer: 2:39pm On Jul 17, 2020
Ningen:
What actually matters is if your significant other is comfortable and okay with the name you are using to call him/her. People's opinion doesn't.

Like mumu
Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by Fidelismaria: 2:40pm On Jul 17, 2020
Ariza:
I think "Dear" is more acceptable. Nigerians don kuku normalize and bastardized the word already. Everyone nah dear. grin

The one that pains me most is underage ending every sentence with Dear in a conversation.

you're so right

My blood boils anytime someone I don't have romantic relationship with calls me dear

Like wtf

Who know you

Lol

Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by GreaterFuture1(m): 2:42pm On Jul 17, 2020
TheManOfTheYear:
Should this even be a big deal?
Why not call your partner with endearments like "honey", "sweetie" etc or if you don't like that, call yourselves by your names.
I was waiting for a Reasonable comment until you. I could not believe the Topic when I Saw it I laughed out so Hard
Nigerians are not normal, what the hell is "is it Proper?" What the hell is that! You call yourselves Whatever you like! That's is between the two of you. Are there Societal/Traditional rules to this too? Because there must be some ridiculous reason(s) as to why this is even an Issue.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by Braindealer(f): 2:43pm On Jul 17, 2020
Yes it is. Why not?
Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by Nobody: 2:44pm On Jul 17, 2020
olab059:

Lol! I wonder when this became a thing. I was chatting with one smallie the other day and she kept ending her comments with dear. I was like, shay this girl no say I fit born am like this.
Lol... That thing can be annoying. grin

1 Like

Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by Nobody: 2:44pm On Jul 17, 2020
Ariza:
Lol... That thing can be annoying. grin
Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by Nobody: 2:45pm On Jul 17, 2020
GreaterFuture1:

I was waiting for a Reasonable comment until you. I could not believe the Topic when I Saw it I laughed out so Hard lol
Nigerians are not normal, what the hell is "is it Proper?" What the hell is that! You call yourselves
Whatever you like! Are there Societal/Traditional rules to this too? Because there must be some ridiculous reason(s) why this is even an Issue.
Stupid Rubbish!

You were not the only one waiting. I couldn't believe the nonsense I was reading as well. I can't believe calling your partner by their names is an issue. Orisirisi!

2 Likes

Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by Braindealer(f): 2:49pm On Jul 17, 2020
Love can be drawn to any extent. It depends on the couples. Some take love as part of them and just be neutral about it. While some practice love as a religion, and take it to a very stupid level.

Well, it's L O V E. So it all depends on individual.
Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by Therapyken(m): 2:51pm On Jul 17, 2020
Well, I think that how one usually calls the attention of, or addresses his or her spouse is a reflection of his or her ideals of marital relationship which in turn is related to one's view of modesty, what is socially acceptable, morality, e.t.c.. These are among the things one may consider when choosing a spouse.
Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by Braindealer(f): 2:53pm On Jul 17, 2020
JidennaJason:
"The worst thing to happen to man, nah see finish"

I have heard some ladies say that if they can't call their partners "playful" names like "Big Nose" "Cow head" "Dog brain" and "Goat Mouth" they ain't in a relationship with the right person.

We shouldn't get all serious in a relationship and at the same time we shouldn't give room for stupidity.

Calling me by my first name is not disrespectful, but calling it like you gave birth to me and the sole administrator of my life in public, that's where I will draw the line.
Lol. I get your point and I follow your opinion. But lemme ask you.

How do you know when she's calling the name like she gave birth to you and when she's not? She could also call you pet names like she gave birth to you you know? The question is whether its proper or NOT. No middle terms
Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by betexplorer901: 2:56pm On Jul 17, 2020
Winneygirl:
I will just call him "Baba Bose".
grin
Winneygirl:
I will just call him "Baba Bose".
Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by golddare: 2:57pm On Jul 17, 2020
donstan18:

One man improper another man's proper.
Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by Mummyfour(f): 3:01pm On Jul 17, 2020
donstan18:

cheesy cheesy grin grin grin

But we know how ladies operate in that settings nh! cheesy
comot jare grin,so a woman cannot just show love without you people thinking it's obtaining by tricks. But true,true,if someone wants to obtain,na to use sweet names naah. But my own no dey work,no matter how I keep my mouth. The guy man sharp,no be small.

1 Like

Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by ajl: 3:02pm On Jul 17, 2020
donstan18:

Is he or she your elder sister or brother, mother or father, uncle or aunt. Or a sugardaddy or sugarmummy you decided to get marry to. Your spouse is an extension of you. There shouldn't be any barrier to two way communication. In fact, the term you use to call your husband or wife may not mean you respect her/him. You may just be playing to the gallery.

1 Like

Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by betexplorer901: 3:05pm On Jul 17, 2020
one of my neighbours wife call her husband FISH-PIE

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by Nobody: 3:10pm On Jul 17, 2020
Ariza:

grin grin
Re: Is It Proper To Address Your Partner By His/her Real Name In Public? by geesilver(m): 3:20pm On Jul 17, 2020
Men naturally loves to be worship indoor or outdoor, its the nature of men to feel like king. even wen the woman has everything more than him he would still naturally want her to honour him with respect rather than addressing him casually. for me i like it wen she respect me in public......... e.g Daddy wa, Oko mi, Ade mi, if u know u know

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Which Of These Childhood Treats Did You Miss? / If You Were To Name Your Child After A Nigerian Town/City, Which Will It Be? / Give Us Our Real Babies, Mothers Tell Enugu Govt (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.