Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,663 members, 7,809,505 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:41 AM

Senate Wants Age Limits Scrapped For Job Seekers - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Senate Wants Age Limits Scrapped For Job Seekers (27493 Views)

South Africa President Encouraged Lady Looking For Job To Keep Searching / Professional CV and Cover Letter Templates For Job Seekers / Woman With Placard Searching For Job For Her Husband In Lagos (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Senate Wants Age Limits Scrapped For Job Seekers by Imoleade(m): 7:37am On Jul 16, 2020
The Senate on Wednesday, asked the President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), to direct the Federal Ministry of Labour and Productivity to set up a committee to review the age limits for job seekers in the country to allow competent applicants to be employed.
The resolution followed the consideration of a motion by Senator Ibrahim Gobir.

Gobir cited Orders 42 and 52 of the Senate Standing Rules, and noted that requirement of Ministries Departments and Agencies and other private bodies, which set age barriers, “inadvertently excludes and marginalises skilful and competent prospective applicants from participating in such exercises.”

He said, “Many individuals resort to falsifying their age all in a bid to fall within the required age limit for them to be gainfully employed.

“This development, where a person believes he is unemployable, can lead them to embracing criminal activities and further increase the growing crime rate and insecurity in the country.”

In his contribution, Senator Bala Na’Allah drew the attention of the upper chamber to the Federal Government’s embargo on employment over 13 years ago.

He said the embargo period must be factored into the review of age limits by the Ministry of Labour and Productivity for prospective job seekers in the country.

“I think in the review, that has to be taken into account, and therefore, the age limit can now be raised in addition to the established age. That should be the legal verdict for the review,” Na’Allah said.

The Senate President, Ahmad Lawan, condemned the discrimination against job seekers as a result of the barrier imposed by the prescribed age limit.

He said, “It is not through a fault of theirs that people are discriminated against. They’ll tell you only 30 years’ limit; meanwhile, someone graduated 10 years ago.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/punchng.com/senate-wants-age-limit-scrapped-for-job-seekers/%3famp=1

47 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Senate Wants Age Limits Scrapped For Job Seekers by chatinent: 7:44am On Jul 16, 2020
When I read job seekers, I feel they care about -- not the poor masses --- just themselves so they can re-apply for a public job position even at a dying age.

52 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Senate Wants Age Limits Scrapped For Job Seekers by iceboy4752(m): 7:47am On Jul 16, 2020
chatinent:
When I read job seekers, I feel they care about -- not the poor masses --- just themselves so they can re-apply for a job position even at a dying age.

You people will never see something positive. The masses are the ones that suffer most because of this age limit in job hunting. Now that they are trying to ease things for you, you're still saying they're favouring themselves. The Senate has been proposing reasonable bills lately. We have to commend them for that.

345 Likes 18 Shares

Re: Senate Wants Age Limits Scrapped For Job Seekers by yusman14(m): 8:14am On Jul 16, 2020
Fantastic!!
This pandemic just destroyed my plan because most government jobs and private do set an age limit of 25-26

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Senate Wants Age Limits Scrapped For Job Seekers by Manofvalor1: 11:39am On Jul 16, 2020
So much long overdue.if a 78yrs old buhari can be president and a 75yrs old gambari can be chief of staff to president.i see no reason why a backward regressive nation as nigeria should not repel a law that says a 35yrs or 40yrs old graduate is too old to work in civil service or other government parastatals.

81 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Senate Wants Age Limits Scrapped For Job Seekers by bolaji3071(m): 5:25pm On Jul 16, 2020
This will be a very good development. They should start from Banks.

31 Likes

Re: Senate Wants Age Limits Scrapped For Job Seekers by FanRong: 5:25pm On Jul 16, 2020
Hmm. It will be good o

1 Like

Re: Senate Wants Age Limits Scrapped For Job Seekers by Badonasty(m): 5:25pm On Jul 16, 2020
Way to go

2 Likes

Re: Senate Wants Age Limits Scrapped For Job Seekers by PrymHorizon(f): 5:25pm On Jul 16, 2020
This is nice development

9 Likes

Re: Senate Wants Age Limits Scrapped For Job Seekers by dynicks(m): 5:25pm On Jul 16, 2020
Manofvalor1:
So much long overdue.if a 78yrs old buhari can be president and a 75yrs old gambari can be chief of staff to president.i see no reason why a backward regressive nation as nigeria should not repel a law that says a 35yrs or 40yrs old graduate is too old to work in civil service or other government parastatals.
na this one dey pain me pass......old men without conscience for that matter..!!

19 Likes

Re: Senate Wants Age Limits Scrapped For Job Seekers by braine(m): 5:26pm On Jul 16, 2020
Nonsense

1 Like

Re: Senate Wants Age Limits Scrapped For Job Seekers by Slawormir: 5:26pm On Jul 16, 2020
Damnnnnn niggarrr
Isoright

iceboy4752:

You people will never see something positive. The masses are the ones that suffer most because of this age limit in job hunting. Now that they are trying to ease things for you, you're still saying they're favouring themselves. The Senate has been proposing reasonable bills lately. We have to commend them for that.

You must be a real niggarrr
Bros Corona viruse try this period

Since he show face ehnnn
Our law makers are now up and doing
Them don dey smart for their reasoning

Now i see why my grandfather keep saying everything in life has a mixed blessing

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senate Wants Age Limits Scrapped For Job Seekers by SaintLucia: 5:26pm On Jul 16, 2020
chatinent:
When I read job seekers, I feel they care about -- not the poor masses --- just themselves so they can re-apply for a public job position even at a dying age.
Check your health please.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Senate Wants Age Limits Scrapped For Job Seekers by Nobody: 5:26pm On Jul 16, 2020
Finally my big bros Engineer Okeke can no longer use his usual "Na because I don pass 30 na why I no fit see job" excuse to keep on eating our mama food under papa's house.

Bros Okeke, senate have liberated you, go and apply and get all those oil company jobs now. Finallty One less mouth for mama to feed.

4 Likes

Re: Senate Wants Age Limits Scrapped For Job Seekers by saaron(m): 5:26pm On Jul 16, 2020
Nigeria - a country were 35 year olds are considered too old to apply for civil service jobs and security agencies, while 78-90 year old dinosaurs are fit to contest for the office of president.
Bloody useless country.

ONE NIGERIA DOES NOT EXIST!

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Senate Wants Age Limits Scrapped For Job Seekers by Bantino(m): 5:27pm On Jul 16, 2020
Sounds good somehow

1 Like

Re: Senate Wants Age Limits Scrapped For Job Seekers by bigdammyj: 5:27pm On Jul 16, 2020
Nice move

1 Like

Re: Senate Wants Age Limits Scrapped For Job Seekers by KossyKiss97(f): 5:27pm On Jul 16, 2020
Long overdue!!!

Want a flawless skin without pimples, dark spots, blemishes, dark knuckles, stretch marks? Call/Watsapp me ASAP to order for your Topcio soap 08060291729. Serious BUYERS only. No Wholesale!

1 Like

Re: Senate Wants Age Limits Scrapped For Job Seekers by jericco1(m): 5:27pm On Jul 16, 2020
Set up a committee? Forget it
Re: Senate Wants Age Limits Scrapped For Job Seekers by CallMeAthena(f): 5:27pm On Jul 16, 2020
Let's not get too excited yet,it's just a review request.Hopefully, the age limit will be scrapped.

6 Likes

Re: Senate Wants Age Limits Scrapped For Job Seekers by nurex01(m): 5:27pm On Jul 16, 2020
Best decision so Far. Commendable

2 Likes

Re: Senate Wants Age Limits Scrapped For Job Seekers by Triangles1(m): 5:28pm On Jul 16, 2020
Lmao
Re: Senate Wants Age Limits Scrapped For Job Seekers by ZaOzaRoom(m): 5:28pm On Jul 16, 2020
Good move

3 Likes

Re: Senate Wants Age Limits Scrapped For Job Seekers by tommykiwi(m): 5:28pm On Jul 16, 2020
Good and better off!
Since it is the same old politicians that have been ruling us. And age is not an obstacle to them.
Re: Senate Wants Age Limits Scrapped For Job Seekers by blinking001(m): 5:29pm On Jul 16, 2020
A good one towards the right direction.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senate Wants Age Limits Scrapped For Job Seekers by Goldenheart(m): 5:29pm On Jul 16, 2020
cool
Re: Senate Wants Age Limits Scrapped For Job Seekers by ednut1(m): 5:30pm On Jul 16, 2020
If there were jobs it won't be an issue. As a big business owner would you employ at 35 year old man as a graduate trainee or entry level
Re: Senate Wants Age Limits Scrapped For Job Seekers by sylve11: 5:30pm On Jul 16, 2020
The Polytechnic vs University degree comes to mind upon reading this thread. It was said that Polytechnic HND shouldn't be discriminated and I think a law was passed. Oya enter the street go seek for jobs with your HND make you know how BSc is more valuable than HND. undecided cool

2 Likes

Re: Senate Wants Age Limits Scrapped For Job Seekers by DuBLINGreenb(m): 5:30pm On Jul 16, 2020
Where are the jobs?

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Should I Recommend Ex Girlfriend For This Job? / What Do You Know About NewEdge Financial Limited / Julius Berger Nigeria Is Recruiting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.