Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,766 members, 7,817,113 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:14 AM

Legend Of Lilith: Adam's First Wife - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Legend Of Lilith: Adam's First Wife (1597 Views)

The Spirit Of Lilith In Every Woman / All Hail Lilith! / Lilith Is The First Woman For Adam Before Eve (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Legend Of Lilith: Adam's First Wife by olasunkanmii(m): 9:03am On Jul 18, 2020
Lilith is an extremely controversial figure within Jewish folklore. Lilith's name is not included in the creation story of the Torah but she appears in several
midrashic texts . Her symbolism, history and literature are debated among Jewish scholars, feminists and other intellectuals. There are multiple origin stories for Lilith but the most popular history told views Lilith as the first wife of Adam. According to the "first Eve" story Lilith was created by God from dust and placed to live in the garden with Adam until problems arose between Adam and Lilith when Adam tried to exercise dominance over Lilith. One story tells that Lilith refused to lay beneath Adam during sex. She believed they were created equal, both from the dust of the earth, thus she should not have to lay beneath him. After Adam disagreed, Lilith fled the Garden of Eden to gain her independence. Adam told God that Lilith had left and God sent three angels, Senoi,
Sansenoi , and Sammangelof , to retrieve her. The three angels found Lilith in a cave bearing children but Lilith refused to come back to the garden. The angels told her they would kill 100 of her children every day for her disobedience. In revenge, she is said to rob children of life and is responsible for the deaths of still-born infants and crib deaths (SIDS). Male children are at risk of Lilith's wrath for 8 days after birth (until circumcision) and girls are at risk for 20 days. Although Lilith stole children's lives in the night, she agreed not to kill the children who had amulets of either of the three angels.
After the angels' departure, Lilith tried to return to the garden but upon her arrival she discovered that Adam already had another mate, Eve. Out of revenge, Lilith had sex with Adam while he was sleeping and "stole his seed." With his seed she bears 'lilium,' earth-bound demons to replace her children killed by the angels. Lilith is also said to be responsible for males' erotic dreams and night emissions. Another theory says that Lilith is impregnated, thus creating more demons by masturbation and erotic dreams.

Lilith: a power symbol?
The open-ended nature of the Lilith symbol has allowed different groups to use her as a destructive female symbol or a symbol of female power. Many feminists see Lilith as not only the first woman but the first independent woman created. In the creation story she refuses to allow Adam to dominate her and flees the garden despite the consequences. In order to retain her freedom she must give up her children and in retaliation she steals the seed of Adam. In one account of this story, Lilith is said to "mount Adam" ( click here for this version).
This version of the story implies that Lilith sexually violated Adam; however, other stories portray Lilith as a demoness who kills children and takes advantage of men while they are sleeping. Jewish halakhic law forbids the spilling of a man's seed and Lilith takes advantage of this, during masturbation and erotic dreams, and uses it to replenish her own offspring.
Although Lilith is controversial some feminists have used her as a symbol of empowerment. For example, one Jewish feminist magazine is called Lilith labels itself as an "Independent Jewish Woman's Magazine." The publishers use Lilith as a title because they believe she is a symbol of independence. However, those who still think of her as a demoness could turn it around and once again label feminists as male bashers or men-haters. They see Lilith as wicked and vengeful towards men and children. With any symbol or icon used by feminists, especially within a religious context, there will be controversy and opposition. Whether or not the story of Lilith is accurate is not the main issue. The "first Eve" version of the story gives Lilith a role that many women can identify within Judaism and other religious traditions. She is an independent woman who challenges the oppressive system in which she is placed. Stealing the lives of children represents a certain madness that accompanies her solitude and exclusion. Despite Lilith's downfalls, she still remains a symbol of power simply by her survival and mysteriousness. She is open for interpretation and therefore allows women to reinterpret her symbolism and power within the tradition.

Source: The Genesis Factor article by Stephan A. Hoeller

Re: Legend Of Lilith: Adam's First Wife by babajero(m): 9:12am On Jul 18, 2020
This one na satanist point of view abi na Islamic point of view, which one?
Re: Legend Of Lilith: Adam's First Wife by missawele(f): 9:12am On Jul 18, 2020
Wow.

This is my first rims of hearing about Lilith.

I will read more on this

I am a digital marketing strategist and business coach. I help small business owners find clarity in their business & make sales online. If you are trying to start a business and don't know how to go about it, stuck in your business, want to make sales or just generally finding things difficult in your business, reach out to me. I can help
Re: Legend Of Lilith: Adam's First Wife by olasunkanmii(m): 9:19am On Jul 18, 2020
babajero:
This one na satanist point of view abi na Islamic point of view, which one?
Neither of the two. We don't get to know stuff like these in Sunday schools. I'm sure many people don't know about Lilith, but everyone knows Eve.
Re: Legend Of Lilith: Adam's First Wife by babajero(m): 9:35am On Jul 18, 2020
olasunkanmii:

Neither of the two. We don't get to know stuff like these in Sunday schools. I'm sure many people don't know about Lilith, but everyone knows Eve.
My brother if it is not in the bible or the Torah, then it doesn't cern Christians. As far as am concerned that thing written is tales by moonlight. And if they didn't teach you in Sunday school or any where in the church how did you get to know about it?.

1 Like

Re: Legend Of Lilith: Adam's First Wife by tillaman(m): 9:58am On Jul 18, 2020
I think am going to read more about this even though I don’t believe
Re: Legend Of Lilith: Adam's First Wife by Liposure: 10:10am On Jul 18, 2020
Lilith my foot

1 Like

Re: Legend Of Lilith: Adam's First Wife by olasunkanmii(m): 10:42am On Jul 18, 2020
babajero:
My brother if it is not in the bible or the Torah, then it doesn't cern Christians. As far as am concerned that thing written is tales by moonlight. And if they didn't teach you in Sunday school or any where in the church how did you get to know about it?.

There is a possible mention of Lilith in the old testament, in Isaiah chapter 34. It is there in the Hebrew original, but unclear if it means this Lilith. Some English translations attempt to translate the name or word to various possible meanings, others leave it as Lilith .
Re: Legend Of Lilith: Adam's First Wife by truespeak: 11:14am On Jul 18, 2020
olasunkanmii:

There is a possible mention of Lilith in the old testament, in Isaiah chapter 34. It is there in the Hebrew original, but unclear if it means this Lilith. Some English translations attempt to translate the name or word to various possible meanings, others leave it as Lilith .

No be only Lilith na Lilian.

What is your gain in bringing an unclear and confusionist thread. What is contained in the scriptures is clear.

Isaiah 34 is clearly about the wrath of God and what he shall do to evil man. Nothing more and nothing less.

To everyone reading, Christ has already warned before hand about false doctrines which shall arise at the last days. If you are deceived, it is because you chose to be!

I am out!

2 Likes

Re: Legend Of Lilith: Adam's First Wife by olasunkanmii(m): 12:07pm On Jul 18, 2020
truespeak:

No be only Lilith na Lilian.

What is your gain in bringing an unclear and confusionist thread. What is contained in the scriptures is clear.

Isaiah 34 is clearly about the wrath of God and what he shall do to evil man. Nothing more and nothing less.

To everyone reading, Christ has already warned before hand about false doctrines which shall arise at the last days. If you are deceived, it is because you chose to be!

I am out!
Confusion?! Now read carefully, Genesis recounts of the creation of a man and woman four times. Three (Ge 1:26-29, 2:4-8, and Ge 5:1-2) imply the co-creation of a woman with the man from the dust of the earth. The creation account of Eve comes in a forth passage in Ge 2:21-25. That passage clearly indicates that Eve came later and was taken from the man’s side.
Re: Legend Of Lilith: Adam's First Wife by olasunkanmii(m): 12:12pm On Jul 18, 2020
Ge 5:2 implies a dual creation from the ground for the first created male and female because the common name of Adam was given to both of them. Only the Lilith legend explains the simultaneous creation of both the male and female from the ground.

Lilith’s rebellion explains why God suddenly rescinded permission to eat of every tree, why the tree of knowledge came to exist, and why Adam had to guard the garden.

Lilith’s departure explains how Adam suddenly “became alone” in Ge 2:18. The literal Hebrew of the verse reveals that God did not create Adam alone, but rather that Adam “became alone” after some time.
Re: Legend Of Lilith: Adam's First Wife by Gullah: 12:15pm On Jul 18, 2020
It's what you called it, a legend or folklore. It's not biblical

1 Like

Re: Legend Of Lilith: Adam's First Wife by truespeak: 2:28pm On Jul 18, 2020
olasunkanmii:
Ge 5:2 implies a dual creation from the ground for the first created male and female because the common name of Adam was given to both of them. Only the Lilith legend explains the simultaneous creation of both the male and female from the ground.

Lilith’s rebellion explains why God suddenly rescinded permission to eat of every tree, why the tree of knowledge came to exist, and why Adam had to guard the garden.

Lilith’s departure explains how Adam suddenly “became alone” in Ge 2:18. The literal Hebrew of the verse reveals that God did not create Adam alone, but rather that Adam “became alone” after some time.

First it was Isaiah 35, now it is Genesis.

The First man and woman was Clearly named and stated, no mention of your Lilian Abi na Lilith whatever!

Keep grasping at air and trying to found your unfounded lie and confusion.

I pity the fools who shall drink up this horsepiss like wine and expect not to suffer stomach upset and sickness!

2 Likes

Re: Legend Of Lilith: Adam's First Wife by MuttleyLaff: 2:43pm On Jul 18, 2020
truespeak:
First it was Isaiah 35, now it is Genesis.

The First man and woman was Clearly named and stated, no mention of your Lilian Abi na Lilith whatever!

Keep grasping at air and trying to found your unfounded lie and confusion.

I pity the fools who shall drink up this horsepiss like wine and expect not to suffer stomach upset and sickness!
"Now there were also false prophets among the people,
just as there will be false teachers among you.
They will secretly introduce destructive heresies,
"
- 2 Peter 2:1a

It is what Apostle Peter first warned about and later on, Apostle Jude confirmed what Apostle Peter warned about has crept into

1 Like

Re: Legend Of Lilith: Adam's First Wife by Kobojunkie: 2:51pm On Jul 18, 2020
babajero:
What do you mean by that?

All knowledge, whether of good or of evil, belongs to God. Did God call you as a Christian to be dumb?
Did Jesus Christ tell you anything about learning from your world-churches?
He said you should learn from Him, and by that it means you should not fear knowledge.

The legend of Lilith remains an exciting read and is well known by those who are not afraid of knowledge. God no send you go bible school.... Jesus Christ never sent His apostles to such and so you don't require such things. Instead be willing to learn at the foot of your one and only master, Jesus Christ.
And be not afraid of knowledge.
Re: Legend Of Lilith: Adam's First Wife by babajero(m): 12:22am On Jul 19, 2020
Kobojunkie:
What do you mean by that?

All knowledge, whether of good or of evil, belongs to God. Did God call you as a Christian to be dumb?
Did Jesus Christ tell you anything about learning from your world-churches?
He said you should learn from Him, and by that it means you should not fear knowledge.

The legend of Lilith remains an exciting read and is well known by those who are not afraid of knowledge. God no send you go bible school.... Jesus Christ never sent His apostles to such and so you don't require such things. Instead be willing to learn at the foot of your one and only master, Jesus Christ.
And be not afraid of knowledge.
OK Mr wise guy I take it that what you are trying to force me to believe, was taught you by Jesus Christ himself. And I am still asking you where exactly did he teach you, and where did you find it. though I will not argue with you much because you said it's a legend so I am not surprised.
Re: Legend Of Lilith: Adam's First Wife by Kobojunkie: 12:27am On Jul 19, 2020
babajero:
OK Mr wise guy I take it that what you are trying to force me to believe, was taught you by Jesus Christ himself. And I am still asking you where exactly did he teach you, and where did you find it. though I will not argue with you much because you said it's a legend so I am not surprised.
you can download a copy of the legend to read online

Yes, i haved much of the apocryphal texts and so much more. My search for TRUTH was exhaustive
Re: Legend Of Lilith: Adam's First Wife by babajero(m): 12:29am On Jul 19, 2020
olasunkanmii:

You are just complicating and confusing yourself, as for me I know where I stand and whom I stand with. better find your way before it gets too late.

1 Like

Re: Legend Of Lilith: Adam's First Wife by jamesid29(m): 7:03am On Jul 19, 2020
olasunkanmii:

The OP in its self is not bad as it's just portraying the story of a legend and how people from different sides of the feminism divide are seizing onto it to make different statements, but the moment you start interpreting the Bible through the lense of a folklore then it becomes a problem.

The Lilith as Adam's first wife originated sometime around the 9th or 10th century AD in a Jewish writings, but the idea itself can be traced back to the Babylonian Talmud and possibly to a very brief story in a Midrash written sometime around 300- 500AD.
As you can see the whole legend comes from opinions and speculations of some rabbis living thousands of years after the Genesis story was written.

Adam having another wife is nowhere to be found in the Bible. These speculations arose as a way to try and explain the origin of evil and where demons come from but Just because one or two rabbis writing over a millennia after the account, had a thought doesn't mean the thought is correct and should be taken it as more than that... especially if it has no bases in the Bible itself.

The idea of Lilith as a type of demon itself, that sucks the breath out of babies at night and seduces men can be traced back to mesopotamian demonology and it's from here it gets imported into Jewish thinking before it ultimately gets attached to Adam as his wife in later folklore as stated above,but most of these information isn't important to most people.(just added it to cover all the points).

Like the apostle Paul writing under the influence of the HolySpirit said,
“All things are lawful,” but not all things are helpful. “All things are lawful,” but not all things build up. (1corinthians 10:23). Seeking to know in itself is not unlawful and actually commendable most times but not all knowledge is beneficial and reading folklore back into the Bible is definitely harmful.
So please lets remember to test all things and hold on to that which is true and good.

As for the literal Hebrew of the verse revealing that God did not create Adam alone, but rather that Adam “became alone” after some time, That's not correct sir.

1 Like

Re: Legend Of Lilith: Adam's First Wife by babajero(m): 8:59pm On Jul 19, 2020
Kobojunkie:
you can download a copy of the legend to read online

Yes, i haved much of the apocryphal texts and so much more. My search for TRUTH was exhaustive
I ask you again, is it in the bible? if not forget it, because I am not a satanist nor a Muslim. I am a Christian.
Re: Legend Of Lilith: Adam's First Wife by Kobojunkie: 9:02pm On Jul 19, 2020
babajero:
I ask you again, is it in the bible? if not forget it, because I am not a satanist nor a Muslim. I am a Christian.
I am not. Satanist or a Muslim myself.

I am a follower of Jesus Christ, a Child of the Most High and all knowledge(good and evil) belongs to my Father and so I have no fear of 'em.

So why do you fear Knowledge? undecided
Re: Legend Of Lilith: Adam's First Wife by babajero(m): 9:14pm On Jul 19, 2020
Kobojunkie:

I am a follower of Jesus Christ, a Child of the Most High and all knowledge(good and evil) belongs to my Father and so I have no fear of 'em.

Really even Satan was an angel in heaven.
Re: Legend Of Lilith: Adam's First Wife by Kobojunkie: 9:19pm On Jul 19, 2020
babajero:
Really even Satan was an angel in heaven.
Was? undecided

Yes, Satan goes around doing work that God assigns Him, so what?

What does that change of the fact that ALL knowledge of Good and Evil belongs to God? undecided
Re: Legend Of Lilith: Adam's First Wife by babajero(m): 9:19pm On Jul 19, 2020
Kobojunkie:

"So why do you fear Knowledge?" I only learn from those who know, and not those who say they know.
Re: Legend Of Lilith: Adam's First Wife by babajero(m): 9:23pm On Jul 19, 2020
Kobojunkie:
Was? undecided

Yes, Satan goes around doing work that God assigns Him, so what?

What does that change of the fact that ALL knowledge of Good and Evil belongs to God? undecided

"Yes, Satan goes around doing work that God assigns Him, so what?" It is very simple, I don't believe in satanism, you are only wasting your time with me.
Re: Legend Of Lilith: Adam's First Wife by Kobojunkie: 9:24pm On Jul 19, 2020
babajero:
"So why do you fear Knowledge?" I only learn from those who know, and not those who say they know.
So you have reduced yourself to believing only what other humans vomit for you to swallow? undecided

The almighty God made it all available to even you but you choose to wait for others to pre-digest it and then choose whar to reveal to you before you open yourself to learning?
Re: Legend Of Lilith: Adam's First Wife by babajero(m): 9:26pm On Jul 19, 2020
Kobojunkie:
So you have reduced yourself to believing only what other humans vomit for you to swallow? undecided
Who thought you what you say you know?
Re: Legend Of Lilith: Adam's First Wife by Kobojunkie: 9:33pm On Jul 19, 2020
babajero:
Who thought you what you say you know?
God
Re: Legend Of Lilith: Adam's First Wife by babajero(m): 10:10pm On Jul 19, 2020
Kobojunkie:
God
You are really a junkie, better leave drugs for your own good.
Re: Legend Of Lilith: Adam's First Wife by Kobojunkie: 10:18pm On Jul 19, 2020
babajero:
You are really a junkie, better leave drugs for your own good.
Grow up!
Re: Legend Of Lilith: Adam's First Wife by babajero(m): 8:00am On Jul 20, 2020
Kobojunkie:
Grow up!
Get matured.

(1) (Reply)

Simple Definition Of Sin, Lawlessness And Evil / Adeboye: TB Joshua Tried To Kill Me (the War In Christendom) Video / Priest Goes To Hospital To Have Potato Removed From His Yansh

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.