Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,896 members, 7,817,641 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:07 PM

My Experience Learning How To Actually Swim The First Time. - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / My Experience Learning How To Actually Swim The First Time. (6092 Views)

Aprilia Manganang Confirmed To Actually Be A Man After 28 Years (Pictures) / England Managers Learning How To Beat Liverpool ( Pic ) / Saudi Women Spotted In Stadium For The First Time In History(Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Experience Learning How To Actually Swim The First Time. by Blackpearlous(f): 6:32am On Jul 19, 2020
This was few months ago, yea yea you can't blame me, I grew up conservative, part of the skills I acquired in my resume of being conservative was not mingling with "street" friends (no offence, I wish I grew up a lil street though, I have a polite issue) and I can't be seen wearing something skimpy which includes swim wears close to the pool too. So I was pretty much doomed to just family outings at bar beach once in a century.

I missed out in a lot of teenage fun and saved me from a lot of issues too, guess that the average life of a Nigerian church girl. The first time I went to a pool was during post UTME, it was not my kind of crowd, bunch of new friends, not my kind of music planning and I was half naked! Jesus save me!!!!!!!! And every guy was touching every girl and I didn't no how to swim, no opportunity to learn it was a crowded pool and the little chance I had was with a cute rough looking guy trying more to touch my body than teaching me to swim, I was drowning in screams in my head like,

Get out of the pool young woman
Yo mama can't see you like this
You have been defiled with the hands of a man
Somebody, shoot me (yea I'm a lil dramatic in my head).

I did run out of the pool, yea I'm free!!! For a sec because that guy followed me to the corner I wanted to change and he came to corner me, can't remember what happened but he got my message, I went Sasha fierce on him.(to the left to the left - Beyonce's voice).

So forward to few months ago, now a graduate, many post UTME after. I'm not as conservative as I was years ago but that was the second time I went to a pool again and got half naked(I basically had no social life on campus).

God it's getting long oo. No vex!(my story)

So I went with my male friend (just a friend, and also a nairalander, yea met him on nairaland from business to good friends.) and during this covid, there were just a handful of people at the pool, gave me space to learn, but I didn't really learn much from my friend, don't blame him, he learnt how to swim just by going to the pool, I had to lie flat while he lifted me with his hands and moved in the pool and me kicking my legs anyhow, thinking I am swimming when he was just literally carrying me In the water.

I was determined to learn and didn't want to hurt his feelings because there was a professional swimmer in the pool and the guy was a show off, competing with everyone and beating them.

My friend was like "what I'm teaching you is what he would teach you", when I asked if he won't mind I ask that other guy to teach me. I said in my mind Hell No! That guy can swim better, but I'm a loyal babe so I stayed with my friend and was enjoying and consoling myself at the same time.

Then God did it (don't go all righteous on me, in my story God caused the muscle pull), my friend had a very severe muscle pull, my internal smile was like sdyney talker, so he was relaxing and he allowed me ask the guy and that guy taught me and he was respectable, he didn't even touch me, I felt the guy code thing, asked my friend to come carry me at a point and I did swim well and felt the difference and left the pool with muscle pulls all over my body, Even my ears had muscle cramp.

Lemme drops some tips I learnt.
- Don't panic.
- Don't fight the water, love the water.
- Let your lungs be full so you can float.
- keep your toes pointed out.
- Stay in the shallow region.
- move your legs in opposite direction.
- Don't let your hips sink.
- swim more on your side than your tummy.
- let's you hands give you supports close to the wall while practising with your legs.
- Don't panic!
- Don't panic again.

Today is Sunday, try to see if you would get a good place to swim with family today because I'm going swimming again. Lemme know in the comment below your first experience swimming if you can actually swim.
I should probably get googles now.

Thanks.

MODIFIED: IF YOU CANT SWIM, DON'T GO AND SWIM ALONE.

CONFIRM THE PRESENCE A LIFE GAURD IN THE POOL.

NEVER! NEVER! LEARN HOW TO SWIM AT THE BEACH.

THANK YOU.

11 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Experience Learning How To Actually Swim The First Time. by Sundrus: 6:58am On Jul 19, 2020
Nice tips...i for like make u follow me go the pool to teach me how to swim. wink
Re: My Experience Learning How To Actually Swim The First Time. by Nobody: 7:00am On Jul 19, 2020
Ever being drowned in a pool before? First is the struggle, then the calm, followed by being very alert and hearing people laughing and playing and not being able to move a muscle, and finally saying to yourself, "Wow, I'm dying. It's so easy. I'm not feeling any pain. Is this the death people always talk about?"

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience Learning How To Actually Swim The First Time. by Blackpearlous(f): 7:03am On Jul 19, 2020
Sundrus:
Nice tips...i for like make u follow me go the pool to teach me how to swim. wink

No can't do.. grin

1 Like

Re: My Experience Learning How To Actually Swim The First Time. by Blackpearlous(f): 7:04am On Jul 19, 2020
DominusPrime:
Ever being drowned in a pool before? First is the struggle, then the calm, followed by being very alert and hearing people laughing and playing and not being able to move a muscle, and finally saying to yourself, "Wow, I'm dying. It's so easy. I'm not feeling any pain. Is this the death people always talk about?"

Are you for real, don't want to experience it, not on my list.

Who pulled you out

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience Learning How To Actually Swim The First Time. by DuBLINGreenb(m): 7:05am On Jul 19, 2020
Congrats
Re: My Experience Learning How To Actually Swim The First Time. by Nobody: 7:07am On Jul 19, 2020
Blackpearlous:

Are you for real, don't want to experience it, not on my list.

Who pulled you out

Yes it happened to me for real. My friends who noticed I was lying flat at the bottom of the pool. Luckily for me it was the shallow end. I played rough with this big muscular friend of mine. He'd chase me, catch me and hold me under water for a few seconds then run away. He kept repeating it and I was losing energy each time till i was too tired to get up by myself. That's how I 'slept' under.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Experience Learning How To Actually Swim The First Time. by illicit(m): 7:14am On Jul 19, 2020
I get cold when I am in the pool, I think my blood pressure drops or something....

I hardly get in the pool, I will just sit by and drink and watch people flapping about

1 Like

Re: My Experience Learning How To Actually Swim The First Time. by matrix199(m): 7:36am On Jul 19, 2020
2006 was the worst day of my life. I almost drowned in Takwa Bay beach. I was lured to the water to learn how to swim. At first i was afloat in the water, next thing a wave flowed in and swept me into deeper water. I was built then, using my strength and all to fight my way to stay afloat was futile. I sank deep and could see flashes of summary of life. It was all over for me. But then, i felt a hand reach out to me(life guard). He pulled me up. I came back to life, swam to shore, had drunk so much water in my stomach and lungs, i couldn't breathe. I had to run from that part of the beach to a far distance just to expel the water in my lungs. I kept running like death was chasing me.

Well, ever since, i have been aquaphobic. I learnt a lesson that day.

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Experience Learning How To Actually Swim The First Time. by Highbeepeeh(m): 7:37am On Jul 19, 2020
DominusPrime:
grin
DominusPrime:

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Experience Learning How To Actually Swim The First Time. by Davicl: 7:40am On Jul 19, 2020
Hmmmm.... Na so village people will be calling some people small small but they won't know. grin

4 Likes

Re: My Experience Learning How To Actually Swim The First Time. by paulolee(m): 7:48am On Jul 19, 2020
nice story,...hope you are now good in swimming me i wud luv to learn...can u teach me?
Re: My Experience Learning How To Actually Swim The First Time. by Slawormir: 7:50am On Jul 19, 2020
Damnnnnn niggarrr
Isoright
Hell no....nope ....nahhhh
I don't go close to water
I hate anything water bodies like river
Including man made water bodies like swimming pool

Na river and sea i hate pass.....very irritating and scaring...forget real niggarrr matter...me nor dey go near there....

A female friend invited me to her wedding in one ijaw land in Edo state around those gelegele side.and na boat them take dey cross enter their village....I just tell am quickly say i nor go fit come.. last last i go find her small thing probably transfer like 5 thousand enter her account....
DominusPrime:
Dead men tell no tales...we hope you are not typing from the other side

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Experience Learning How To Actually Swim The First Time. by Sundrus: 7:51am On Jul 19, 2020
Blackpearlous:

No can't do.. grin
u don break my heart...
Re: My Experience Learning How To Actually Swim The First Time. by zainabicy: 7:59am On Jul 19, 2020
Pepeperiperpee*

No go dey do pass yourself

Some one should attach that coffin dancers meme

2 Likes

Re: My Experience Learning How To Actually Swim The First Time. by tunize(m): 8:11am On Jul 19, 2020
babe calm down waitn dey sweet dey kill water nor get permanent friend can take anybody offguard and please be very careful.
Re: My Experience Learning How To Actually Swim The First Time. by Blackpearlous(f): 8:36am On Jul 19, 2020
tunize:
babe calm down waitn dey sweet dey kill water nor get permanent friend can take anybody offguard and please be very careful.

Thank you, I will be careful.

1 Like

Re: My Experience Learning How To Actually Swim The First Time. by Blackpearlous(f): 8:36am On Jul 19, 2020
zainabicy:
Pepeperiperpee*

No go dey do pass yourself

Some one should attach that coffin dancers meme

Kilode na.
Sundrus:
u don break my heart...

Kikikikiki..
Re: My Experience Learning How To Actually Swim The First Time. by Blackpearlous(f): 8:40am On Jul 19, 2020
Slawormir:
Damnnnnn niggarrr
Isoright

Hell no....nope ....nahhhh

I don't go close to water
I hate anything water bodies like river
Including man made water bodies like swimming pool

Na river and sea i hate pass.....very irritating and scaring...forget real niggarrr matter...me nor dey go near there....

A female friend invited me to her wedding in one ijaw land in Edo state around those gelegele side.and na boat them take dey cross enter their village....I just tell am quickly say i nor go fit come.. last last i go find her small thing probably transfer like 5 thousand enter her account....

Lool. I had to overcome my fears too. Take a class it will help

1 Like

Re: My Experience Learning How To Actually Swim The First Time. by Blackpearlous(f): 8:41am On Jul 19, 2020
paulolee:
nice story,...hope you are now good in swimming
me i wud luv to learn...can u teach me?

Really! I wish I can teach you guys.. I'm very better though, going swimming today.

Try going for a class or look for a friend that is very good.

1 Like

Re: My Experience Learning How To Actually Swim The First Time. by Blackpearlous(f): 8:42am On Jul 19, 2020
matrix199:
2006 was the worst day of my life. I almost drowned in Takwa Bay beach. I was lured to the water to learn how to swim. At first i was afloat in the water, next thing a wave flowed in and swept me into deeper water. I was built then, using my strength and all to fight my way to stay afloat was futile. I sank deep and could see flashes of summary of life. It was all over for me. But then, i felt a hand reach out to me(life guard). He pulled me up. I came back to life, swam to shore, had drunk so much water in my stomach and lungs, i couldn't breathe. I had to run from that part of the beach to a far distance just to expel the water in my lungs. I kept running like death was chasing me.

Well, ever since, i have been aquaphobic. I learnt a lesson that day.

They should have not let you learn in the beach na. You have to overcome your fears one day.

1 Like

Re: My Experience Learning How To Actually Swim The First Time. by Blackpearlous(f): 8:42am On Jul 19, 2020
illicit:
I get cold when I am in the pool, I think my blood pressure drops or something....

I hardly get in the pool, I will just sit by and drink and watch people flapping about

Lol you are that kind of dude ba. Sha learn oneday.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience Learning How To Actually Swim The First Time. by Blackpearlous(f): 8:43am On Jul 19, 2020
DominusPrime:

Yes it happened to me for real. My friends who noticed I was lying flat at the bottom of the pool. Luckily for me it was the shallow end. I played rough with this big muscular friend of mine. He'd chase me, catch me and hold me under water for a few seconds then run away. He kept repeating it and I was losing energy each time till i was too tired to get up by myself. That's how I 'slept' under.

That muscular friend is cruel ehn. Thank God you not typing from the other side.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Experience Learning How To Actually Swim The First Time. by illicit(m): 8:47am On Jul 19, 2020
Blackpearlous:

Lol you are that kind of dude ba. Sha learn oneday.

I prefer to go to the beach and me and babe be chasing the waves up and down lol grin
Re: My Experience Learning How To Actually Swim The First Time. by Blackpearlous(f): 8:52am On Jul 19, 2020
illicit:

I prefer to go to the beach and me and babe be chasing the waves up and down lol grin

Lol.. whatever rocks your boat bro.

1 Like

Re: My Experience Learning How To Actually Swim The First Time. by paulolee(m): 9:13am On Jul 19, 2020
Blackpearlous:

Really! I wish I can teach you guys.. I'm very better though, going swimming today.

Try going for a class or look for a friend that is very good.
Yes am looking for a friend and dts Y am searching for u..
Re: My Experience Learning How To Actually Swim The First Time. by Nobody: 9:59am On Jul 19, 2020
Blackpearlous:

Lol.. whatever rocks your boat bro.
I'm kinda tall, 6ft8 tall.. When I'm at the deep part.. I just tip toe..when I get tired of swimming, but when I get to the 7ft side of the pool.. Haha I swim like my life depends on it!! Well it does.. Come teach me how to swim tho.. I use my height as an advantage.. Walking up ND down in the swimming pool!! grin cheesy

3 Likes

Re: My Experience Learning How To Actually Swim The First Time. by zainabicy: 10:00am On Jul 19, 2020
Blackpearlous:

Kilode na.

We, our water is for our irrigating the farms...

Not as a trap to lure the restless young ones to have a taste of death.
Re: My Experience Learning How To Actually Swim The First Time. by Blackpearlous(f): 10:02am On Jul 19, 2020
paulolee:

Yes am looking for a friend and dts Y am searching for u..

Continue searching, I can't teach nobody
Re: My Experience Learning How To Actually Swim The First Time. by Blackpearlous(f): 10:03am On Jul 19, 2020
zainabicy:

We, our water is for our irritating the farms...

Not as a trap to lure the restless young ones to have a taste of death.

Hmmm
Re: My Experience Learning How To Actually Swim The First Time. by Blackpearlous(f): 10:03am On Jul 19, 2020
armylord:
I'm kinda tall, 6ft8 tall.. When I'm at the deep part.. I just tip toe..when I get tired of swimming, but when I get to the 7ft side of the pool.. Haha I swim like my life depends on it!! Well it does.. Come teach me how to swim tho.. I use my height as an advantage.. Walking up ND down in the swimming pool!! grin cheesy

You are pretty tall. I can't teach jawe.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Top 10 Incredible World Records Of Cristiano Ronaldo / Nigeria Defeats Congo 79-46 In Afrobasket. Will Face Mali In Semi Final. / Prayer Thread For Super Eagles Victory Against Burkina Faso

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.