Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,896 members, 7,817,642 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:10 PM

My Experience Learning How To Actually Swim The First Time. - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / My Experience Learning How To Actually Swim The First Time. (6094 Views)

Aprilia Manganang Confirmed To Actually Be A Man After 28 Years (Pictures) / England Managers Learning How To Beat Liverpool ( Pic ) / Saudi Women Spotted In Stadium For The First Time In History(Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Experience Learning How To Actually Swim The First Time. by PeacenLove2: 4:03pm On Jul 20, 2020
SonOfAfonja:

Lmao, the thing tire me o my broda. Na Wetin I dey hear every time be this, “You’re making your body too stiff”, you’re fighting the water, be relaxed, blah blah blah! ...the last time sef I tried all my relaxation skills and I was sitting comfortably at the bottom of the pool, with my hand on my chin...grin

cheesy No mind me, we dey inside same boat. That's why I could tell immediately what you're doing wrong. As in ... I never fit surrender fully to water o. My body just refuse to co-operate to that level.

I fit float my entire body sha ... if I hold something but when I release my hands, gravity takes over. Na over alertness dey worry us.

1 Like

Re: My Experience Learning How To Actually Swim The First Time. by Nobody: 7:06pm On Jul 20, 2020
Blackpearlous:

Then sir, your case is different

grin I agree...I’m not aspiring to be another Michael Phelps either.

1 Like

Re: My Experience Learning How To Actually Swim The First Time. by Nobody: 7:08pm On Jul 20, 2020
PeacenLove2:

cheesy No mind me, we dey inside same boat. That's why I could tell immediately what you're doing wrong. As in ... I never fit surrender fully to water o. My body just refuse to co-operate to that level.

I fit float my entire body sha ... if I hold something but when I release my hands, gravity takes over. Na over alertness dey worry us.

Lol, na to dey stroll inside water be the way....I cannot come and go and kee myself.... grin

1 Like

Re: My Experience Learning How To Actually Swim The First Time. by PeacenLove2: 7:25pm On Jul 20, 2020
SonOfAfonja:

Lol, na to dey stroll inside water be the way....I cannot come and go and kee myself.... grin

Abi o. We be the real MVP cheesy

1 Like

Re: My Experience Learning How To Actually Swim The First Time. by LawyerGodwin(m): 8:10am On Jul 24, 2020
Misspull99:
ssage can give your immune system a boost
Massage is known to boost production of lymphocytes – the white blood cells which help fight off disease. Although a massage can’t guarantee you’ll never get another cold, there has been research that suggests it helps the body to fight infections and reduce the severity and duration of bugs and minor illnesses.

Massage can make you feel happier
The action of massaging the skin stimulates alpha brain waves, which are associated with relaxation, and promotes the release of endorphins – the body’s feel-good chemicals.

Massage can help you to de-stress
Massage is known to help reduce cortisol levels in the body. Cortisol is the primary stress hormone, so elevated levels are not good for your body at all. At the same time, massage has been shown to boost serotonin and dopamine levels, making you feel more relaxed and happy.

Massage could give you a better night’s sleep
If insomnia is your bedfellow, try a massage. Massage can help to balance out your sleep pattern and overcome insomnia and the fatigue that goes with not getting enough sleep.

This is just what I need...
Re: My Experience Learning How To Actually Swim The First Time. by LawyerGodwin(m): 8:46am On Jul 24, 2020
Blackpearlous:
This was few months ago, yea yea you can't blame me, I grew up conservative, part of the skills I acquired in my resume of being conservative was not mingling with "street" friends (no offence, I wish I grew up a lil street though, I have a polite issue) and I can't be seen wearing something skimpy which includes swim wears close to the pool too. So I was pretty much doomed to just family outings at bar beach once in a century.

I missed out in a lot of teenage fun and saved me from a lot of issues too, guess that the average life of a Nigerian church girl. The first time I went to a pool was during post UTME, it was not my kind of crowd, bunch of new friends, not my kind of music planning and I was half naked! Jesus save me!!!!!!!! And every guy was touching every girl and I didn't no how to swim, no opportunity to learn it was a crowded pool and the little chance I had was with a cute rough looking guy trying more to touch my body than teaching me to swim, I was drowning in screams in my head like,

Get out of the pool young woman
Yo mama can't see you like this
You have been defiled with the hands of a man
Somebody, shoot me (yea I'm a lil dramatic in my head).

I did run out of the pool, yea I'm free!!! For a sec because that guy followed me to the corner I wanted to change and he came to corner me, can't remember what happened but he got my message, I went Sasha fierce on him.(to the left to the left - Beyonce's voice).

So forward to few months ago, now a graduate, many post UTME after. I'm not as conservative as I was years ago but that was the second time I went to a pool again and got half naked(I basically had no social life on campus).

God it's getting long oo. No vex!(my story)

So I went with my male friend (just a friend, and also a nairalander, yea met him on nairaland from business to good friends.) and during this covid, there were just a handful of people at the pool, gave me space to learn, but I didn't really learn much from my friend, don't blame him, he learnt how to swim just by going to the pool, I had to lie flat while he lifted me with his hands and moved in the pool and me kicking my legs anyhow, thinking I am swimming when he was just literally carrying me In the water.

I was determined to learn and didn't want to hurt his feelings because there was a professional swimmer in the pool and the guy was a show off, competing with everyone and beating them.

My friend was like "what I'm teaching you is what he would teach you", when I asked if he won't mind I ask that other guy to teach me. I said in my mind Hell No! That guy can swim better, but I'm a loyal babe so I stayed with my friend and was enjoying and consoling myself at the same time.

Then God did it (don't go all righteous on me, in my story God caused the muscle pull), my friend had a very severe muscle pull, my internal smile was like sdyney talker, so he was relaxing and he allowed me ask the guy and that guy taught me and he was respectable, he didn't even touch me, I felt the guy code thing, asked my friend to come carry me at a point and I did swim well and felt the difference and left the pool with muscle pulls all over my body, Even my ears had muscle cramp.

Lemme drops some tips I learnt.
- Don't panic.
- Don't fight the water, love the water.
- Let your lungs be full so you can float.
- keep your toes pointed out.
- Stay in the shallow region.
- move your legs in opposite direction.
- Don't let your hips sink.
- swim more on your side than your tummy.
- let's you hands give you supports close to the wall while practising with your legs.
- Don't panic!
- Don't panic again.

Today is Sunday, try to see if you would get a good place to swim with family today because I'm going swimming again. Lemme know in the comment below your first experience swimming if you can actually swim.
I should probably get googles now.

Thanks.

MODIFIED: IF YOU CANT SWIM, DON'T GO AND SWIM ALONE.

CONFIRM THE PRESENCE A LIFE GAURD IN THE POOL.

NEVER! NEVER! LEARN HOW TO SWIM AT THE BEACH.

THANK YOU.

You said "first experience... If you can actually swim"...

My first was at the beach at Takwa Bay (Spent some time at Sea School). In my heart of hearts I was very good, and when I came out one dude said bro, "you are doing nonsense"!... Just imagine how I felt.

I had put to work all the things I have seen swimmers do, and I was far away from swimming.

You don't want to even hear my second time Experience.

*Walks away*...

1 Like

Re: My Experience Learning How To Actually Swim The First Time. by Blackpearlous(f): 9:20am On Jul 24, 2020
LawyerGodwin:

You said "first experience... If you can actually swim"...

My first was at the beach at Takwa Bay (Spent some time at Sea School). In my heart of hearts I was very good, and when I came out one dude said bro, "you are doing nonsense"!... Just imagine how I felt.

I had put to work all the things I have seen swimmers do, and I was far away from swimming.

You don't want to even hear my second time Experience.

*Walks away*...

Lol nice so you can't swim.
Re: My Experience Learning How To Actually Swim The First Time. by LawyerGodwin(m): 10:27am On Jul 24, 2020
Blackpearlous:

Lol nice so you can't swim.

Kikiki i think so... Will learn soon.
Re: My Experience Learning How To Actually Swim The First Time. by Blackpearlous(f): 10:46am On Jul 24, 2020
LawyerGodwin:

Kikiki i think so... Will learn soon.

Lemme teach you

1 Like

Re: My Experience Learning How To Actually Swim The First Time. by lammylam(f): 10:50am On Jul 24, 2020
I wanna learn how to swim soooo bad
But i dey fear

I tried it once and it wasn't funny abeg.

From wardrobe malfunction, to almost drowning ,to hitting someone on the head etc!
Re: My Experience Learning How To Actually Swim The First Time. by luscioustrish(f): 10:58am On Jul 24, 2020
armylord:
I'm kinda tall, 6ft8 tall.. When I'm at the deep part.. I just tip toe..when I get tired of swimming, but when I get to the 7ft side of the pool.. Haha I swim like my life depends on it!! Well it does.. Come teach me how to swim tho.. I use my height as an advantage.. Walking up ND down in the swimming pool!! grin cheesy

You're tall shocked shocked shocked shocked sad
Re: My Experience Learning How To Actually Swim The First Time. by luscioustrish(f): 10:59am On Jul 24, 2020
I learnt how to swim when I went to delta state, it was scary at first but I was determined anyway ...been long I went to the pool though smiley

1 Like

Re: My Experience Learning How To Actually Swim The First Time. by LawyerGodwin(m): 11:05am On Jul 24, 2020
Blackpearlous:

Lemme teach you

Class 2 already...
*Winks*
Re: My Experience Learning How To Actually Swim The First Time. by Nobody: 3:24pm On Jul 24, 2020
luscioustrish:

You're tall shocked shocked shocked shocked sad
lol yeah.. Good pm.. How's your day going
Re: My Experience Learning How To Actually Swim The First Time. by Nobody: 4:14pm On Jul 24, 2020
Blackpearlous, Dis Is A Nice Topic. My Question Is How Do U Float Urself In Water 2 Avoid Sinking?
Re: My Experience Learning How To Actually Swim The First Time. by Blackpearlous(f): 4:22pm On Jul 24, 2020
Truvel:
Blackpearlous, Dis Is A Nice Topic. My Question Is How Do U Float Urself In Water 2 Avoid Sinking?

There are different ways but one sure way is to fill your lungs with air.

1 Like

Re: My Experience Learning How To Actually Swim The First Time. by Nobody: 4:27pm On Jul 24, 2020
Lol, Blackpearlous, What Do U Mean By Filling Ur Lungs With Water? Do U Mean Resting Ur Chest On What?
Re: My Experience Learning How To Actually Swim The First Time. by Blackpearlous(f): 5:09pm On Jul 24, 2020
Truvel:
Lol, Blackpearlous, What Do U Mean By Filling Ur Lungs With Water? Do U Mean Resting Ur Chest On What?

Lool, with air. Makes it easy for you to float.

1 Like

Re: My Experience Learning How To Actually Swim The First Time. by Nobody: 6:07pm On Jul 24, 2020
How Do I Fill In My Lungs With Air? Would Breathe In 4 Long?
Re: My Experience Learning How To Actually Swim The First Time. by lordpherow98(m): 9:53pm On Jul 24, 2020
KULESTGee24:
My first experience was hell, I was just passing by the river when I saw some dudes just standing(I thought) in the water chattering, that was how I foolishly jumped in with a mindset that the water can't go passed my chest, na so I just de sink like big stone, water wey fit de like 25 feet deep..

Exactly what happened to me on 25th of December 2009 at Samuel ogbemudia stadium Benin. My friends were in the pool chatting and laughing, I thought they were standing so I dived in. God... Worst 20+ seconds in my life. I had so many thoughts during this short but long period. Na so I wan take die on Christmas day? Wetin my friends go tell my mom? God please send a helper... I was saved by the life guard with so much water taken In already... Since that day reach now, I have no business with water bodies. Not even pool for children

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience Learning How To Actually Swim The First Time. by luscioustrish(f): 10:10pm On Jul 24, 2020
armylord:
lol yeah.. Good pm.. How's your day going

Quite well.. good evening smiley
Re: My Experience Learning How To Actually Swim The First Time. by Nobody: 6:46am On Jul 25, 2020
luscioustrish:

Quite well.. good evening smiley
morning, hope u slept well??
Re: My Experience Learning How To Actually Swim The First Time. by luscioustrish(f): 8:47am On Jul 25, 2020
armylord:
morning, hope u slept well??

I did.. Good morning
Re: My Experience Learning How To Actually Swim The First Time. by anonimi: 2:26am On Oct 06, 2020
Blackpearlous:

Thank you, I will be careful.

Thanks for sharing your experience about learning how to swim and the tips plus caution.
I hope that lalasticlala, mynd44 or some other moderator will take it to the front page.

1 Like

Re: My Experience Learning How To Actually Swim The First Time. by Konquest: 11:05pm On Apr 27, 2021
Blackpearlous:
This was few months ago, yea yea you can't blame me, I grew up conservative, part of the skills I acquired in my resume of being conservative was not mingling with "street" friends (no offence, I wish I grew up a lil street though, I have a polite issue) and I can't be seen wearing something skimpy which includes swim wears close to the pool too. So I was pretty much doomed to just family outings at bar beach once in a century.

I missed out in a lot of teenage fun and saved me from a lot of issues too, guess that the average life of a Nigerian church girl. The first time I went to a pool was during post UTME, it was not my kind of crowd, bunch of new friends, not my kind of music planning and I was half naked! Jesus save me!!!!!!!! And every guy was touching every girl and I didn't no how to swim, no opportunity to learn it was a crowded pool and the little chance I had was with a cute rough looking guy trying more to touch my body than teaching me to swim, I was drowning in screams in my head like,

Get out of the pool young woman
Yo mama can't see you like this
You have been defiled with the hands of a man
Somebody, shoot me (yea I'm a lil dramatic in my head).

I did run out of the pool, yea I'm free!!! For a sec because that guy followed me to the corner I wanted to change and he came to corner me, can't remember what happened but he got my message, I went Sasha fierce on him.(to the left to the left - Beyonce's voice).

So forward to few months ago, now a graduate, many post UTME after. I'm not as conservative as I was years ago but that was the second time I went to a pool again and got half naked(I basically had no social life on campus).

God it's getting long oo. No vex!(my story)

So I went with my male friend (just a friend, and also a nairalander, yea met him on nairaland from business to good friends.) and during this covid, there were just a handful of people at the pool, gave me space to learn, but I didn't really learn much from my friend, don't blame him, he learnt how to swim just by going to the pool, I had to lie flat while he lifted me with his hands and moved in the pool and me kicking my legs anyhow, thinking I am swimming when he was just literally carrying me In the water.

I was determined to learn and didn't want to hurt his feelings because there was a professional swimmer in the pool and the guy was a show off, competing with everyone and beating them.

My friend was like "what I'm teaching you is what he would teach you", when I asked if he won't mind I ask that other guy to teach me. I said in my mind Hell No! That guy can swim better, but I'm a loyal babe so I stayed with my friend and was enjoying and consoling myself at the same time.

Then God did it (don't go all righteous on me, in my story God caused the muscle pull), my friend had a very severe muscle pull, my internal smile was like sdyney talker, so he was relaxing and he allowed me ask the guy and that guy taught me and he was respectable, he didn't even touch me, I felt the guy code thing, asked my friend to come carry me at a point and I did swim well and felt the difference and left the pool with muscle pulls all over my body, Even my ears had muscle cramp.

Lemme drop some tips I learnt.
- Don't panic.
- Don't fight the water, love the water.
- Let your lungs be full so you can float.
- keep your toes pointed out.
- Stay in the shallow region.
- move your legs in opposite direction.
- Don't let your hips sink.
- swim more on your side than your tummy.
- let's you hands give you supports close to the wall while practising with your legs.
- Don't panic!
- Don't panic again.

Today is Sunday, try to see if you would get a good place to swim with family today because I'm going swimming again. Lemme know in the comment below your first experience swimming if you can actually swim.
I should probably get googles now.

Thanks.

MODIFIED: IF YOU CANT SWIM, DON'T GO AND SWIM ALONE.

CONFIRM THE PRESENCE A LIFE GUARD IN THE POOL.

NEVER! NEVER! LEARN HOW TO SWIM AT THE BEACH.

THANK YOU.
This is mad cool... wink

Brilliant swimming tips that will come in handy in emergency
situations.

Good to read you're now
more adventurous in trying
new stuff. wink

I first learned how to swim
Bbat an elite club's swimming
section back in the 1990s.

Ciao.

P.S. Where did you learn this
newest swimming attempt?
Re: My Experience Learning How To Actually Swim The First Time. by Hogan17: 6:40am On Apr 28, 2021
Slawormir:
Damnnnnn niggarrr
Isoright
Hell no....nope ....nahhhh
I don't go close to water
I hate anything water bodies like river
Including man made water bodies like swimming pool

Na river and sea i hate pass.....very irritating and scaring...forget real niggarrr matter...me nor dey go near there....

A female friend invited me to her wedding in one ijaw land in Edo state around those gelegele side.and na boat them take dey cross enter their village....I just tell am quickly say i nor go fit come.. last last i go find her small thing probably transfer like 5 thousand enter her account....

Dead men tell no tales...we hope you are not typing from the other side
Ma guy , dead men tell no tales. I feel you
Re: My Experience Learning How To Actually Swim The First Time. by Lilpen3758: 7:44am On Apr 28, 2021
DominusPrime:
Ever being drowned in a pool before? First is the struggle, then the calm, followed by being very alert and hearing people laughing and playing and not being able to move a muscle, and finally saying to yourself, "Wow, I'm dying. It's so easy. I'm not feeling any pain. Is this the death people always talk about?"
Why do u make death sounds so peaceful?
Re: My Experience Learning How To Actually Swim The First Time. by Nobody: 10:03am On Apr 28, 2021
Lilpen3758:
Why do u make death sounds so peaceful?

That was exactly my experience. After the struggle everything became peaceful. No pain, just thoughts.

1 Like

Re: My Experience Learning How To Actually Swim The First Time. by Lilpen3758: 10:50am On Apr 28, 2021
DominusPrime:

That was exactly my experience. After the struggle everything became peaceful. No pain, just thoughts.
Sweet

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Prayer Thread For Super Eagles Victory Against Burkina Faso / Nigeria Vs England 5 - 2 (Copa Lagos 2011) / AFL: Sundowns Win Inaugural African Football League Title

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.