Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,497 members, 7,816,186 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:12 AM

Malami Has Power To Stop Corruption Cases – Aide - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Malami Has Power To Stop Corruption Cases – Aide (347 Views)

I Will Stop Corruption When Elected — Peter Obi At Chatham House / Twitter Ban: Malami Has Assured Adeboye, Others Will Be Prosecuted - Lai / Robert Clarke: Death Sentence Won’t Stop Corruption, It’s In Blood Of Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Malami Has Power To Stop Corruption Cases – Aide by ijustdey: 3:10pm On Jul 20, 2020
Eniola Akinkuotu, Abuja

The Special Adviser to the President on Anti-Corruption, Abiodun Aikomo, says the Attorney-General of the Federation, Abubakar Malami (SAN), has the power to stop any corruption case without recourse or explanation to the President, Major-General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.).

Aikomo, who works in the office of the AGF, said this on Channels Television’s ‘Politics Today’ programme while responding to allegations that Malami had not been cooperating with anti-corruption agencies.

The Chairman of the Presidential Advisory Committee Against Corruption, Prof. Itse Sagay (SAN), had accused Malami of frustrating the war against corruption.

In his response, Aikomo said, “With due respect to Prof. Sagay, the constitutional powers to enter nolle prosequi (stop prosecution) has been given to the attorney-general. The attorney-general does not owe anybody any explanation; not even the President. And the Supreme Court has ruled on this several times.

“So, these powers are not something somebody can second guess. That is what we are talking about. The attorney general’s power to enter nolle prosequi is borne out of so many things and it is not a power that is at large. The constitution has circumscribed how the power should be used and I can say confidently that is how the attorney-general has exercised this power.”

On why the attorney-general had discontinued many corruption cases in court, Aikomo said there were many things that were usually considered before cases are allowed to go forward.

“There are so many things you are not privy to. There are so many considerations that you may never know and you will never know. Everything, the attorney-general knows. The attorney-general has an eagle view of issues in the prosecution arena. He coordinates all the activities of the prosecution in Nigeria,” the aide said.

However, Mr. Tosin Ojaomo, who is the lawyer to the suspended acting Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, Ibrahim
Ojaomo said Malami had failed to prosecute cases that he had taken over from the disbanded Special Investigation Panel for the Recovery of Public Property.

https://punchng.com/malami-has-power-to-stop-corruption-cases-aide/

Lalasticlala
Re: Malami Has Power To Stop Corruption Cases – Aide by teadrake(m): 3:20pm On Jul 20, 2020
Technically, AGF is bigger than the President. President is going left, AGF is going backwards. This country sef
Re: Malami Has Power To Stop Corruption Cases – Aide by Nobody: 3:32pm On Jul 20, 2020
It is finished in Jesus voice.
Re: Malami Has Power To Stop Corruption Cases – Aide by Jakemedg(m): 4:02pm On Jul 20, 2020
The FG -led anti corruption war died when the hunter Magu became the hunted.
Re: Malami Has Power To Stop Corruption Cases – Aide by Nobody: 4:20pm On Jul 20, 2020
No he doesn't.

The Judiciary is a totally different and independent arm of government.

Malami works for the Executive arm.

I guess they don't teach that at Law school anymore.
Re: Malami Has Power To Stop Corruption Cases – Aide by Hedonisco: 9:52pm On Jul 20, 2020
FrLukas:
No he doesn't.

The Judiciary is a totally different and independent arm of government.

Malami works for the Executive arm.

I guess they don't teach that at Law school anymore.

Senior man, no fall hand na. Why you dey hang your tear tear singlet for public yard.
Re: Malami Has Power To Stop Corruption Cases – Aide by realstars: 10:17pm On Jul 20, 2020
All I See Is A Country Full Of Drama
Re: Malami Has Power To Stop Corruption Cases – Aide by Nobody: 7:20am On Jul 21, 2020
[s]
Hedonisco:

Senior man, no fall hand na. Why you dey hang your tear tear singlet for public yard.
[/s]

If I'm wrong a simple correction would be sufficient.

This is supposed to be an intellectual forum, Mr.
Re: Malami Has Power To Stop Corruption Cases – Aide by juvewalex(m): 7:36am On Jul 21, 2020
What more can we get from these people , they all see themselves as demi gods .
Re: Malami Has Power To Stop Corruption Cases – Aide by princealexndre(m): 7:37am On Jul 21, 2020
I’m tired of commenting on corruption post, If a president wants to stop Corruption he knows the right thing to do, No beating around the bush. These people are Tribalistic old men, they taking sides and Exposing the country to a bunch of Selfish Rich people Fuckiing the country up in all Direction. What will happen if you Accordingly punish anyone that has been faulted about Mismanagement of Country Finance, but instead we here Too afraid to Speak our and do the Right thing because they feel it’s normal to steal the Country wealth, thereby depleting the Economy standard, subjecting the Country to Abysmal Degradation. We need to wake up in this Country, No politician is Bigger than The Country. Let them face the law strictly, by doing this others will learn from the Mistakes, but we all joking in this country, let’s continue deceiving ourselves in this Nigeria, me once I make enough money To Japa I will move without looking back and marry a foreigner and be Citizen of another Country, He better pass remaining in this Shitt
Re: Malami Has Power To Stop Corruption Cases – Aide by techmo(m): 7:40am On Jul 21, 2020
cool

One thing is certain now, with the death of Aba Kyari and Issa Funtua, this Administration is now headless

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Malami Has Power To Stop Corruption Cases – Aide by sapientia(m): 8:33am On Jul 21, 2020
techmo:
cool

One thing is certain now, with the death of Aba Kyari and Issa Funtua, this Administration is now headless

The only reason I clicked reply is to agree with you.
Re: Malami Has Power To Stop Corruption Cases – Aide by pquaver(m): 12:02pm On Jul 21, 2020
teadrake:
Technically, AGF is bigger than the President. President is going left, AGF is going backwards. This country sef

Read kwanu you said no.. Make I help you with important phrase ..

"And the Supreme Court has ruled on this several times."

(1) (Reply)

Ipob Go Against Ohaneze Over 2023 Igbo Presidential Ambition / Yoruba World Congress: Nigeria’s Dissolution Can Be Achieved Without War / Shoprite’s Exit Will Help Our Local Supermarkets To Grow – Shehu Sani

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.