Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,108 members, 7,953,381 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 03:18 PM

Private City Development Model Is “the Best Way Forward For Igboland” - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Private City Development Model Is “the Best Way Forward For Igboland” (1818 Views)

City Development Comparison / Why Igbo Economic Model Is The Best In Africa / Developmental Idea For Igboland (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Private City Development Model Is “the Best Way Forward For Igboland” by proeast(m): 4:46pm On Jul 22, 2020
B3ACHSIDE:

[s]Ever since I've been on this forum I always read people's comments bragging about having large population or being more industrious or educated or more developed than another group. I think it's pointless bragging about these things. Norway population is 5 million, Poland is 37 million. Poland is not better than Norway . They have different personalities ,no big deal. Why do Africans love bragging about having large population or more developed or more industrious or more this and that or thinking they are better than one another ,etc? That is why Nigeria and Africa is a shithole.

You said ,in my perception in a sort of bragging manner "Igbo land has population of 35 million and can stand as a country" . I say whether igboland has population of 1 million or 100 million it's an ethnic nation and can still be a country.

You said,in my perception in a sort of bragging manner " Igbos built igbo land without any help " I say Igboland receives allocation from Nigerian government just like other ethnic group , but the politicians are corrupt.

And finally , all of these shows of unity are only a facade because i have observed that none of the ethnic groups are truly united . there's simply no unity of purpose,whether governmental or private . I gave examples.
Just like I now focus on only Calabar and cross river instead of a baseless Akwacross, I advised you to focus on your clan or state instead of igboland because Igboland like other ethnic groups in Nigeria are not united . There'll never be Igbo republic or akwacross republic or Oduduwa republic or Arewa republic.
[/s]

I have read your posts and I have come to the conclusion that you're just a distraction. Since you have nothing meaningful to offer, why not stay off the thread and allow Igbos to brainstorm??

Didn't you see where the op wrote for the Igbos and by the Igbos?? Why do some of you behave in such a dense manner??

Tufiakwa!

1 Like

Re: Private City Development Model Is “the Best Way Forward For Igboland” by cjrane: 4:49pm On Jul 22, 2020
B3ACHSIDE:
I don't mean to derail your thread . I totally understand your point about private driven development and I support it , but my point is that the government have the money to effect change but they are corrupt and lack unity of purpose . And with that ,they may even frustrate private efforts .
Example of disunity of purpose , Why not build only one world class international Airport like this sketch below instead of many international airports 10 minutes away from each other ? And I ask this question not only for the Igboland but Akwacross and others as well. I heard the Cross river Governor is building a cargo airport at Obudu .

If we had excellent land transportation, then it would make sense to build one international airport and everyone could get to it within one or two hours. Since we don't have excellent land transportation, nor do we have the technology to manage a gigantic international airport like New York or Atlanta, it makes common sense to have small international airports the size of Kano or PH around Nigeria. Look at Lagos airport and how clogged up the place is. Its always a nightmare to use that airport because there are always too many people, not even enough chairs for people to sit down talkmore relax and wait for their flight. That is the typical Nigerian mindset that wants everything to be located in one city without providing adequate facilities for the passengers that will naturally pile up if everything is in only one airport.

The only thing is that those airports can be specialized in one route or two. For instance, PH can specialize in Frankfurt/Paris Route. Enugu specialize in Addis Ababa / London route. Anambra specialize in Shanghai/ Mumbai/ Rio de Janeiro route etc. In that way, specific airlines go to specific airports in manageable numbers to prevent them from clogging up like the situation we have in Lagos.

1 Like

Re: Private City Development Model Is “the Best Way Forward For Igboland” by cjrane: 4:50pm On Jul 22, 2020
proeast:

I have read your posts and I have come to the conclusion that you're just a distraction. Since you have nothing meaningful to offer, why not stay off the thread and allow Igbos to brainstorm??

Didn't you see where the op wrote for the Igbos and by the Igbos?? Why do some of you behave in such a dense manner??

Tufiakwa!

He is truly just a distraction. The type of people that want Nigeria to continue to concentrate everything in Lagos purely out of greed and nothing more.
Silly Yoruba trolls on every Igbo thread coming to give their "advise". grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Private City Development Model Is “the Best Way Forward For Igboland” by horsepower102: 4:53pm On Jul 22, 2020
B3ACHSIDE:
Texas does not have 730 international airports .I've previously mentioned that I'm not against each senatorial districts ,especially larger states like Cross river having 1 airstrip & control tower each , you can call that local airport.

Ok got you.

Yes Ebonyi and Abia in my opinion doesn't need international airports. They need local airports

But Imo, Anambra and Enugu need international airports. This is also my opinion.

Asaba airport should remain local.

But as the economy of scale continue to grow and the demand for international travel continues to climb, then I dont have any problem if some local Airports are later internationalized.
Re: Private City Development Model Is “the Best Way Forward For Igboland” by Nobody: 4:56pm On Jul 22, 2020

1 Like

Re: Private City Development Model Is “the Best Way Forward For Igboland” by horsepower102: 4:58pm On Jul 22, 2020
cjrane:

If we had excellent land transportation, then it would make sense to build one international airport and everyone could get to it within one or two hours. Since we don't have excellent land transportation, nor do we have the technology to manage a gigantic international airport like New York or Atlanta, it makes common sense to have small international airports the size of Kano or PH around Nigeria. Look at Lagos airport and how clogged up the place is. Its always a nightmare to use that airport because there are always too many people, not even enough chairs for people to sit down talkmore relax and wait for their flight. That is the typical Nigerian mindset that wants everything to be located in one city without providing adequate facilities for the passengers that will naturally pile up if everything is in only one airport.

The only thing is that those airports can be specialized in one route or two. For instance, PH can specialize in Frankfurt/Paris Route. Enugu specialize in Addis Ababa / London route. Anambra specialize in Shanghai/ Mumbai/ Rio de Janeiro route etc. In that way, specific airlines go to specific airports in manageable numbers to prevent them from clogging up like the situation we have in Lagos.

You raise some good points i never taught about. interesting.
Re: Private City Development Model Is “the Best Way Forward For Igboland” by horsepower102: 5:02pm On Jul 22, 2020
cjrane:

He is truly just a distraction. The type of people that want Nigeria to continue to concentrate everything in Lagos purely out of greed and nothing more.
Silly Yoruba trolls on every Igbo thread coming to give their "advise". grin grin grin

He is not a yoruba troll, He just has a different view on development. Some of which I agree with but so many others that I disagree with.
Re: Private City Development Model Is “the Best Way Forward For Igboland” by olisaEze(m): 5:03pm On Jul 22, 2020
I haven’t seen this sort of thread in NL in a very lonnnnnnnnng while, and I have to first give kudos to the Op for beautifully presenting his idea in a well thought out way. A P/P partnership would definitely go a long way in changing the face of the SE if a well defined system of accountability is matched with unity of purpose across state lines.

However, what parameters will be used to determine where these modern cities will be sited as the Land Use Act of Nigeria does not expressly domicile majority of state lands within the jurisdiction of state governors in totality? Much as the energy generation/transmission is entirely within the purview of the Federal Executive.

Let’s kick this idea around and see how we can begin lobbying for something like this, Op over to you. @mrvitalis, make we hear from you too grin

1 Like

Re: Private City Development Model Is “the Best Way Forward For Igboland” by horsepower102: 5:11pm On Jul 22, 2020
olisaEze:
I haven’t seen this sort of thread in NL in a very lonnnnnnnnng while, and I have to first give kudos to the Op for beautifully presenting his idea in a well thought out way. A P/P partnership would definitely go a long way in changing the face of the SE if a well defined system of accountability is matched with unity of purpose across state lines.

However, what parameters will be used to determine where these modern cities will be sited as the Land Use Act of Nigeria does not expressly domicile majority of state lands within the jurisdiction of state governors in totality? Much as the energy generation/transmission is entirely within the purview of the Federal Executive.

Let’s kick this idea around and see how we can begin lobbying for something like this, Op over to you. grin

The state government can create a land banking system. This is a system where the state government negotiates directly with communities to sell their non-agricultural hectares of land to the government. That way, investors wont have any problem finding the lands to build their modern cities.

Then the community will also participate in the profit sharing of the investment after it matures. The community will get 5% equity while the state get 10% equity then the investors get the remaining 85%. This profit sharing will be in perpetuity and the community will appoint their own board to manage the funds and invest it back into the community.

As for energy generation, private individuals are allowed to produce upto 2MW of electricity without connecting it to the national grid. i think its called embedded power.

1 Like

Re: Private City Development Model Is “the Best Way Forward For Igboland” by Nobody: 5:13pm On Jul 22, 2020

3 Likes

Re: Private City Development Model Is “the Best Way Forward For Igboland” by olisaEze(m): 5:18pm On Jul 22, 2020
horsepower102:

The state government can create a land banking system. This is a system where the state government negotiates directly with communities to sell their non-agricultural hectares of land to the government. That way, investors wont have any problem finding the lands to build their modern cities.

Then the community will also participate in the profit sharing of the investment after it matures. The community will get 5% equity while the state get 10% equity then the investors get the remaining 85%. This profit sharing will be in perpetuity and the community will appoint their own board to manage the funds and invest it back into the community.

As for energy generation, private individuals are allowed to produce upto 2MW of electricity without connecting it to the national grid. i think its called embedded power.

Thanks for clearing that up. You too much!

1 Like

Re: Private City Development Model Is “the Best Way Forward For Igboland” by proeast(m): 5:23pm On Jul 22, 2020
B3ACHSIDE:

[s]

You have demonstrated a low IQ by your silly assumption.
show me where I said only Lagos airport should be functional ? I said all regions or ethnicity should have only one world class international aiaport airport which serves the entire area .
You have such a shallow mentality and you assume everyone is like you. My assertions are based on my observation with facts . I comment on Japanese forum,Lithuanian Forum ,North American forum,etc. Nigeria and sub Saharan Africa will keep being a shithole unless my points are implemented . Maybe when you finally evolve and grow some brain cells after 500 years you'll get the point[/s].

You're still saying trash. This is a topic for the Igbos and by the Igbos yet you jumped in and started uttering incoherent gibberish. You were not only antagonistic in approach but also disruptive.

You claim to be from Akwa-Cross or whatever it is you call it, then why don't you preach your ideas to them instead of bringing it to where it is not needed or is your zone now an eldorado that you can't plan for its development?

I even saw where you were complaining that Cross River State government shouldn't build an airstrip in Obudu?! Don't you even know that such airstrip will help to make Obudu more viable as a foremost tourist destination in Nigeria?

Lol, I find it laughable that someone with such abysmally low IQ as yours will be telling another person that he has low IQ. Only in Nairaland grin grin

1 Like

Re: Private City Development Model Is “the Best Way Forward For Igboland” by PROUDIGBO(m): 5:29pm On Jul 22, 2020
mrvitalis:
I have always believed that what can develop Igbo land is PPP between the Igbo people and the Igbo government

Let's take for example ABA owerri road , say it cost 100 billion to build to world class standard
Igbo government can toll it and sale it out as shares ....say 1 million per share , the government can hold 10% of equity and private individuals contribute the rest

Based on shares vote on the management team to handled the road ....it's simple , it's our style ...it can work for us

Igbos have large capitals ....over 3 million igbos can certainly invest 1 million or more in our home ..that's 3 trillion capital investment at home per year , in 10 years 30 trillion

We can build world class airports , hospitals , sea ports , rail way system , schools , everything we want ...and it would be owned by us the people

The suggestions you and Horsepower give is what they call ‘thinking outside the box’! A radical departure from the usual style of governance of building a few roads of questionable quality with scarce gov’t resources and then standing back to receive a round of sycophantic applause with chants of ‘dividends of democrazy’ or ‘gov’t is working’!

The problem is partly caused by the national and regional/state style of politics and governance that’s changed little since the 60s! I think Horsepower also alluded to this as well!

I believe we could gain more from a centralised regional type of gov’t....kinda like we had in the first republic. But i doubt that would be possible now...what with all the state politicians and godfathers who see their states as their sphere of influence and source of income which they wouldn’t want to give up to be taking orders from some Dr M I Okpara figure!

The idea you mooted of Ndigbo self-financing some major projects is a good one, and one that has been suggested countless number of times! The problem is transiting from the drawing-board to actual implementation! I for one -God willing- can invest at least 500,000 naira a year for the next ten years, and if we have at least 1 million Igbos willing to pledge likewise, Alaigbo would be developed to the level of the Rwandas’ and even UAEs in about a decades time! Problem is finding the commitment and leadership to bring this to reality! We talk a lot of so many good ideas, but putting them into action be the problem!

1 Like

Re: Private City Development Model Is “the Best Way Forward For Igboland” by Nobody: 5:42pm On Jul 22, 2020

1 Like

Re: Private City Development Model Is “the Best Way Forward For Igboland” by proeast(m): 5:56pm On Jul 22, 2020
B3ACHSIDE:
I said I support airstrip & Control tower in each senatorial districts of large states like Cross river . The governor of Cross river is building cargo airport at Obudu which I think is pointless and waste of money . Distance from Calabar to Ogoja or Obudu should be 3.5 Hours with good freeway network. 1.5 Hours with rail network. Calabar to Uyo should be 30 minutes with good freeway network, no need for too many airports , just one world class . There's a huge economic benefit in unity than many tiny non viable airports.
Without my points implement , Nigeria and sub saharan Africa will keep being a shithole . I don't have to care ,and soon I may not care anymore if the foolishness continues. I'm giving you wisdom,be grateful .

Alright, thanks for the clarification. But this thread is about Igbos and Igboland, thus if you have anything positive to say, you can air it but otherwise just save it for your place. Unfortunately, Cross River doesn't seem to have the resources or a significant diaspora population that can help to implement your grandiose ideas undecided

At op, we can also consider the idea of building highrises in Igboland. We have limited lands and this will also help to improve our skyline to look like normal international cities. One thing I notice is that once a particular trend is started, it will take a life of its own.

We have a huge dispora population that are always willing to invest in real estate. So instead of building all these small duplexes here and there, how about building blocks of 10 storeys collectively and selling the flats within it as units?
I know that power is a serious challenge to this, but solar has become more efficient in recent times, therefore if roofs of such buildings are covered with solar panels can't it generate enough energy to power the lifts while generators/PHCN will be used as a secondary source of power?

1 Like

Re: Private City Development Model Is “the Best Way Forward For Igboland” by mrvitalis(m): 6:10pm On Jul 22, 2020
PROUDIGBO:

The suggestions you and Horsepower give is what they call ‘thinking outside the box’! A radical departure from the usual style of governance of building a few roads of questionable quality with scarce gov’t resources and then standing back to receive a round of sycophantic applause with chants of ‘dividends of democrazy’ or ‘gov’t is working’!

The problem is partly caused by the national and regional/state style of politics and governance that’s changed little since the 60s! I think Horsepower also alluded to this as well!

I believe we could gain more from a centralised regional type of gov’t....kinda like we had in the first republic. But i doubt that would be possible now...what with all the state politicians and godfathers who see their states as their sphere of influence and source of income which they wouldn’t want to give up to be taking orders from some Dr M I Okpara figure!

The idea you mooted of Ndigbo self-financing some major projects is a good one, and one that has been suggested countless number of times! The problem is transiting from the drawing-board to actual implementation! I for one -God willing- can invest at least 500,000 naira a year for the next ten years, and if we have at least 1 million Igbos willing to pledge likewise, Alaigbo would be developed to the level of the Rwanda’s’ and even UAEs in about a decades time! Problem is finding the commitment and leadership to bring this to reality! We talk a lot of so many good ideas, but putting them into action be the problem!
Rochas had all it took to lead this revolution but he failed woefully

2 Likes

Re: Private City Development Model Is “the Best Way Forward For Igboland” by horsepower102: 6:22pm On Jul 22, 2020
PROUDIGBO:

The idea you mooted of Ndigbo self-financing some major projects is a good one, and one that has been suggested countless number of times! The problem is transiting from the drawing-board to actual implementation! I for one -God willing- can invest at least 500,000 naira a year for the next ten years, and if we have at least 1 million Igbos willing to pledge likewise, Alaigbo would be developed to the level of the Rwanda’s’ and even UAEs in about a decades time! Problem is finding the commitment and leadership to bring this to reality! We talk a lot of so many good ideas, but putting them into action be the problem!

I wont lie to you I have been tempted to pursue this idea to the fullest but then the reality of my current life weighs me down.I even once emailed Ngozi okonjo Iweala office so that I can have a quick interaction with her and discuss this idea and see if she would be interested to run it but they never got back to me.

There are some Igbo organizations that have similar ideas but they are very slow and talk too much in conferences without much action. Its because of this reason that I started thinking of maybe doing it myself.

2 Likes

Re: Private City Development Model Is “the Best Way Forward For Igboland” by horsepower102: 6:28pm On Jul 22, 2020
proeast:

Alright, thanks for the clarification. But this thread is about Igbos and Igboland, thus if you have anything positive to say, you can air it but otherwise just save it for your place. Unfortunately, Cross River doesn't seem to have the resources or a significant diaspora population that can help to implement your grandiose ideas undecided

At op, we can also consider the idea of building highrises in Igboland. We have limited lands and this will also help to improve our skyline to look like normal international cities. One thing I notice is that once a particular trend is started, it will take a life of its own.

We have a huge dispora population that are always willing to invest in real estate. So instead of building all these small duplexes here and there, how about building blocks of 10 storeys collectively and selling the flats within it as units?
I know that power is a serious challenge to this, but solar has become more efficient in recent times, therefore if roofs of such buildings are covered with solar panels can't it generate enough energy to power the lifts while generators/PHCN will be used as a secondary source of power?

Great idea.
Yes use solar panels with back up battery system and strictly dedicate it to operating the lifts. With that you can build high rises with functioning lifts in Igboland.

I raised this same idea in the defunct igbo thread,

1 Like

Re: Private City Development Model Is “the Best Way Forward For Igboland” by rdokoye: 10:26pm On Jul 22, 2020
FrLukas:

I wonder how you guys go through life thinking that contrary opinions are a sign of antagonism?

Anyway, like you said it's an Igbo thread, I'd better take myself off before I attract insults.

I don't, providing there's a counter-offer on the table. The so-called solution he proffered was to abandon our kinfolk and become clannish, in a thread about the unity and overall development of Igboland. Sounds counterproductive to me, almost destructive.

3 Likes

Re: Private City Development Model Is “the Best Way Forward For Igboland” by cjrane: 10:33pm On Jul 22, 2020
horsepower102:

I wont lie to you I have been tempted to pursue this idea to the fullest but then the reality of my current life weighs me down.I even once emailed Ngozi okonjo Iweala office so that I can have a quick interaction with her and discuss this idea and see if she would be interested to run it but they never got back to me.

There are some Igbo organizations that have similar ideas but they are very slow and talk too much in conferences without much action. Its because of this reason that I started thinking of maybe doing it myself.

Unfortunately, these are some of the things that must be done as a group. The truth is that Igbos are ready because it is now clear to even the worst thomases among us that the FG is determined to make sure Igboland remains in stone age if they can.

Leadership is all we need. Unfortunately that is a commodity that has eluded us because the capable leaders run away from leadership and abandon the space to thugs and vagabonds whose only interest id to corruptly enrich themselves.

2 Likes

Re: Private City Development Model Is “the Best Way Forward For Igboland” by Nobody: 10:45pm On Jul 22, 2020
Ndi ala everywhere.

Nigeria is made up of 36 independent states. Any other gossip is a side distraction.

Each state should face front and develop at her pace..
Re: Private City Development Model Is “the Best Way Forward For Igboland” by Nobody: 10:51pm On Jul 22, 2020
cjrane:

Unfortunately, these are some of the things that must be done as a group. The truth is that Igbos are ready because it is now clear to even the worst thomases among us that the FG is determined to make sure Igboland remains in stone age if they can.

Leadership is all we need. Unfortunately that is a commodity that has eluded us because the capable leaders run away from leadership and abandon the space to thugs and vagabonds whose only interest id to corruptly enrich themselves.

Allow Igbos to contribute first before you litter the whole thread.

Op said he wants igbos to submit...give way
Re: Private City Development Model Is “the Best Way Forward For Igboland” by horsepower102: 5:36am On Jul 23, 2020
cjrane:

Absolutely!!!

I am trying to see how we can start a new investment group full of young visionary and like minded folks like us so that we can create a development company eventually which will allow us to pursue various investments in Alaigbo.

I am still brainstorming how to go about it.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Fulani Herdsmen Kill OPC Member, Abduct Farmer And Demand Ransom In Ondo / Tinubu Will Never Be President Of Nigeria / The Governor Is Asleep, Lawmakers Seeking Security Meeting Refused Access To Gov

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.