Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,112 members, 7,811,129 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 01:19 AM

Couple Name Son Lucifer Despite Objections From Registrar - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Couple Name Son Lucifer Despite Objections From Registrar (962 Views)

Couple Win Registry Case, Names Son Lucifer / Indian Couple Name Their Newborn Baby Boy 'lockdown' Days After Another Couple C / Couple Name Their Twins ‘Corona’ And ‘Covid’ In India (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Couple Name Son Lucifer Despite Objections From Registrar by Petenoir(m): 5:59pm On Jul 22, 2020
Couple name son Lucifer despite objections from registrar over satanic connotations
Father says he did not expect to get 'so much grief' over name associated with Devil
A couple has claimed they were told their four-month-old son “would not succeed in life” after they tried to officially register his name as Lucifer.
Dan and Mandy Sheldon, from Chesterfield, Derbyshire, said they lodged an official complaint against Derbyshire County Council over a registrar who tried to discourage them from choosing the name, which is often used as a moniker for the Devil.
Mr Sheldon claimed the couple thought it was a “unique name” and said they did not expect to get “so much grief about it”.
“We were really excited to go and get him registered but the woman looked at us in utter disgust,” he told The Sun.
“She told us he would never be able to get a job, and that teachers wouldn’t want to teach him.
Most popular baby names in England and Wales in 2018 revealed
“I tried to explain that we are not religious people, and Lucifer in Greek means ‘light-bringer’ and ‘morning’ but she wouldn’t listen.”
He added: “She even told us that it was illegal to name a child that in New Zealand and that maybe we could name him something else but refer to him as Lucifer at home.”
The UK does not have laws banning specific names but those which contain obscenities or numerals can be rejected by a registrar.
New Zealand, which has tougher restrictions on naming children, had Lucifer on a list of banned names published in 2013, along with “Christ” and royal titles such as “King”, “Prince” and “Princess”.
A spokesperson for Derbyshire County Council said the registrar had done the right thing by raising her concerns about the couple’s choice of name before allowing it.
“Our registrar felt it was her duty to ensure the couple were aware the name Lucifer had negative connotations and that their son may encounter issues with the name through his life due to its associations,” the spokesperson said.
As the couple were unhappy with the advice, the spokesperson said the registrar contacted the General Register Office for further guidance.
An official at the General Register Office agreed she had acted correctly in advising the parents “with the best interests of the child in mind”.

“Despite the advice, the couple said they still wished to proceed and name their son Lucifer, and the registrar continued with the registration,” the spokesperson added.

“We apologise if they were offended but it is the job of our registrars to advise in these matters as sometimes people are not aware of certain meanings or associations around certain names.”

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/lucifer-baby-name-derbyshire-county-council-satan-dan-mandy-sheldon-a9632751.html?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1595434469

Re: Couple Name Son Lucifer Despite Objections From Registrar by emillysmigael(f): 6:06pm On Jul 22, 2020
What is the meaning of this... Well, It is their choice?
Re: Couple Name Son Lucifer Despite Objections From Registrar by Unnerve: 6:12pm On Jul 22, 2020
Lol, they're probably fans of the Netflix show 'Lucifer'.

4 Likes

Re: Couple Name Son Lucifer Despite Objections From Registrar by PowerOfLove: 6:15pm On Jul 22, 2020
Lalasticlala, have you heard of this before?

1 Like

Re: Couple Name Son Lucifer Despite Objections From Registrar by Azyne(f): 6:20pm On Jul 22, 2020
Unnerve:
Lol, they're probably fans of the Netflix show 'Lucifer'.

My thoughts exactly, apart from the fact we've come to associate the name with the devil. Lucifer actually means Morningstar

1 Like

Re: Couple Name Son Lucifer Despite Objections From Registrar by Birdeyeview: 6:23pm On Jul 22, 2020
Sounds absurd
Re: Couple Name Son Lucifer Despite Objections From Registrar by Unnerve: 6:33pm On Jul 22, 2020
Azyne:

My thoughts exactly, apart from the fact we've come to associate the name with the devil. Lucifer actually means Morningstar
Yup, Morningstar or Lightbringer.

Despite its positive meaning, that the name is associated with someone so evil makes it sound off that anyone would name their child by it.
I think they're funny anyways, the parents.

1 Like

Re: Couple Name Son Lucifer Despite Objections From Registrar by Righteousness89(m): 6:38pm On Jul 22, 2020
There are Many things the Carnal Mind cannot Understand!

The devil is Smarter than so many people..

He knows he has no More time, he is doing Everything to ensure that he is on ground

It's unfortunate that Many are not aware! They take these things as nothing..

Re: Couple Name Son Lucifer Despite Objections From Registrar by bukatyne(f): 6:55pm On Jul 22, 2020
Lucifer one of the names of satan actually means 'Morning Star'.

It is however absurd that a couple would decide to name their precious child after the Devil.

They said they are not religious yet they want to their child after one of the major themes of religion grin.

1 Like

Re: Couple Name Son Lucifer Despite Objections From Registrar by sisisioge: 7:22pm On Jul 22, 2020
Awon ndi ara! They want to saddle the poor child with a name that would bring him grieve all the days of his life! Awon edootic parents!
Re: Couple Name Son Lucifer Despite Objections From Registrar by Clicked: 8:12pm On Jul 22, 2020
They will bully that boy eh. Oyibo children that can bully like wetin. I just pity that boy, he'll most likely end up using a nickname.

That's how I read about a girl that was named chlamydia. Wetin this people no go name their pikin sef?
Re: Couple Name Son Lucifer Despite Objections From Registrar by Nobody: 8:17pm On Jul 22, 2020
Righteousness89:
[s] There are Many things the Carnal Mind cannot Understand!

The devil is Smarter than so many people..

He knows he has no More time, he is doing Everything to ensure that he is on ground

It's unfortunate that Many are not aware! They take these things as nothing..[/s]

Trash. Both devil and God are fictional beings, they don't exist.

The registrar has no right to choose the name a child should bear to the parents.

2 Likes

Re: Couple Name Son Lucifer Despite Objections From Registrar by Nobody: 8:18pm On Jul 22, 2020
bukatyne:
Lucifer one of the names of satan actually means 'Morning Star'.

It is however absurd that a couple would decide to name their precious child after the Devil.

They said they are not religious yet they want to their child after one of the major themes of religion grin.

Shey you once said Christianity isn't a religion?

1 Like

Re: Couple Name Son Lucifer Despite Objections From Registrar by bukatyne(f): 8:25pm On Jul 22, 2020
Elder0001:

Shey you once said Christianity isn't a religion?

Is it only Christianity that talks about Satan?

Muslims stone Shaytan (I hope my spelling is right)

Esu (though not same in Christianity & Islam) is Satan in Yoruba Mythology etc.

Christianity is not a religion, it is a way of life. Yet, if I am asked to fill my religion, I will say Christianity.
Re: Couple Name Son Lucifer Despite Objections From Registrar by Nobody: 8:29pm On Jul 22, 2020
bukatyne:

Christianity is not a religion, it is a way of life. Yet, if I am asked to fill my religion, I will say Christianity.

Continue deceiving yourself...

2 Likes

Re: Couple Name Son Lucifer Despite Objections From Registrar by chriskosherbal(m): 8:49pm On Jul 22, 2020
Elder0001:

Continue deceiving yourself...
sorry on the contrary you are the one decieving yourself, you said God and Devil don't exist but are fictional being, I pity u, you ordinary mortal.

Yes she is right Christianity is not a religion but a way of life. Infact I often tell people that Christianity is more of a culture than religion. Let me explain a bit.

In social studies we were meant to understand that Culture is the way of life of the people, that is a particular way of life in dressing, marriage, burial e t.c e.g the Yoruba culture.

Now remove Culture and substitute Christianity there and remove people and substitute Jesus there into the culture definition I gave above therefore we have:

Christianity is the way of life of Jesus, That is his ways of behaviour,doings and the likes.

Am not going to preach to you but I will only let you know that Jesus who happen to be the son of God is for real, weather you like it or believe it, that's the TRUTH. ...Weldone bro.
Re: Couple Name Son Lucifer Despite Objections From Registrar by Nobody: 9:00pm On Jul 22, 2020
chriskosherbal:
[s]sorry on the contrary you are the one decieving yourself, you said God and Devil don't exist but are fictional being, I pity u, you ordinary mortal.

Yes she is right Christianity is not a religion but a way of life. Infact I often tell people that Christianity is more of a culture than religion. Let me explain a bit.

In social studies we were meant to understand that Culture is the way of life of the people, that is a particular way of life in dressing, marriage, burial e t.c e.g the Yoruba culture.

Now remove Culture and substitute Christianity there and remove people and substitute Jesus there into the culture definition I gave above therefore we have:

Christianity is the way of life of Jesus, That is his ways of behaviour,doings and the likes.

Am not going to preach to you but I will only let you know that Jesus who happen to be the son of God is for real, weather you like it or believe it, that's the TRUTH. ...Weldone bro[/s].

Stfu and don't ever quote me again.

Brainwashed sheeple.

1 Like

Re: Couple Name Son Lucifer Despite Objections From Registrar by Nobody: 9:02pm On Jul 22, 2020
Elder0001:

Stfu and don't ever quote me again.

Brainwashed sheeple.
elder what if we tell them that the story of "Jesus" has been told for centuries among various civilizations and their so called Christianity piagrised other people's work?
Re: Couple Name Son Lucifer Despite Objections From Registrar by Nobody: 10:09pm On Jul 22, 2020
I'm still waiting for that thing yet to happen
Re: Couple Name Son Lucifer Despite Objections From Registrar by StubbornGENIUS: 10:15pm On Jul 22, 2020
Zzor:
I'm still waiting for that thing yet to happen
Seems like you're now a good girl gone bad.Believers Love World nko?
Re: Couple Name Son Lucifer Despite Objections From Registrar by Nobody: 10:17pm On Jul 22, 2020
StubbornGENIUS:
Seems like you're now a good girl gone bad.Believers Love World nko?
how am I bad?
Re: Couple Name Son Lucifer Despite Objections From Registrar by StubbornGENIUS: 10:21pm On Jul 22, 2020
Zzor:
how am I bad?
You know what i mean but hey,it's your life. cheesy
Re: Couple Name Son Lucifer Despite Objections From Registrar by faithfull18(f): 10:59pm On Jul 22, 2020
Smh.
Re: Couple Name Son Lucifer Despite Objections From Registrar by bdchange(m): 11:48pm On Jul 22, 2020
The Registrar is trying to save the child for future embarrassment but the parent can only see it as an obstacle for giving their son a beautiful name. Meanwhile the law in New Zealand is already clear concerning such names as stated in the post. It is a no win situation for the couple going by the law.
Re: Couple Name Son Lucifer Despite Objections From Registrar by Ghostrye: 1:18am On Jul 23, 2020
bukatyne:

Brotherly I don't know about the other names there, but Eau is not Satan, Esu is a God named Esu; he is not Satan

(1) (Reply)

** / Woman Commits Suicide After Her Husband Stole Her Money To Marry Another Wife / A Man Wants A Child He Abandoned.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.