Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,099 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:49 AM

Backend Developer Needed For A Quick Job (Resolved) - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Backend Developer Needed For A Quick Job (Resolved) (861 Views)

I Need An MQL4 Programmer For A Quick Job / I Need A Backend Developer To Work On A Project Together. / Most Sought After Fronted Or Backend Developer? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Backend Developer Needed For A Quick Job (Resolved) by Kelvin30286063(m): 7:23pm On Jul 22, 2020
I'm about to delete my website and upload a different script I have been building with a different programming language (PHP) for a few months. But the issue is my website has a lot of members and I will want to keep their account information so that they will be able to login to their accounts once the upgrade is completed.

I understand that its only a matter of backing up my Database but I don't want to backup the entire database since the files are a bit too large (45GB). I just want to backup the structure that contains users accounts like email and password.

I need a backend developer that can assure me that once I'm done uploading my new website, he will be able to restore the database and my website members will be able to login to their accounts without issue.

Please contact me on 09033012548 if you can do thus and please be sure you can cuz if after all said and done, you're not able to restore the specific database I wanted, we go reach station oo... No jokes.
Re: Backend Developer Needed For A Quick Job (Resolved) by 404Dev: 7:34pm On Jul 22, 2020
Kelvin30286063:
I'm about to delete my website and upload a different script I have been building with a different programming language (PHP) for a few months. But the issue is my website has a lot of members and I will want to keep their account information so that they will be able to login to their accounts once the upgrade is completed.

I understand that its only a matter of backing up my Database but I don't want to backup the entire database since the files are a bit too large (45GB). I just want to backup the structure that contains users accounts like email and password.

I need a backend developer that can assure me that once I'm done uploading my new website, he will be able to restore the database and my website members will be able to login to their accounts without issue.

Please contact me on 09033012548 if you can do thus and please be sure you can cuz if after all said and done, you're not able to restore the specific database I wanted, we go reach station oo... No jokes.

Are you using the same encryption for the passwords or would users be required to reset their passwords after your migration.

Why not setup a staging server and test out the migration and fix any potential issues that would arise then you can migrate to your production server with confidence.
Re: Backend Developer Needed For A Quick Job (Resolved) by excanny: 12:34am On Jul 23, 2020
Contact me to get it done for you.
Whatsapp: http:///2347030595988
Re: Backend Developer Needed For A Quick Job (Resolved) by zando64: 9:44am On Jul 23, 2020
Chat me on 08034609308
Re: Backend Developer Needed For A Quick Job (Resolved) by cixak95211: 4:46pm On Jul 23, 2020
I am perplexed as to why your DB would be at 45GB, how many subscribers do you have? 1 million?
What you need is an experienced backend enigneer [and yes, i said engineer, not developer] into microservices architectures. You should have ochestrated out your media/assets to a third-party storage like Google CLoud Bucket or Amazon S3 and only save the resource URL referencing your assets in your DB
That way, size would reduce drastically by almost 95%. You have a bigger problem more than the migration itself, which you should look into, as I am leaning towards the fact that you are saving raw assets into your database, VERY UNCOOL !!

Imagine how long it would take to download and upload 45GB twice . . 90GB, and extrapolating, for a few years, your DB size would run into 10TB or more. Hmmn.

As for the migration, if your'e still using the same driver, all it takes is a DUMP and RESTORE, nothing changes , except of course you changed the Model structures. In that case, then you must write an automation script to map existing fields to their corresponding new field names. and make it loop through 45GB of data. Hehehe.

Do you have at least 200k for a job well done, else it will "end in tears" ?

2 Likes

Re: Backend Developer Needed For A Quick Job (Resolved) by Kelvin30286063(m): 6:46pm On Jul 23, 2020
cixak95211:
I am perplexed as to why your DB would be at 45GB, how many subscribers do you have? 1 million?
What you need is an experienced backend enigneer [and yes, i said engineer, not developer] into microservices architectures. You should have ochestrated out your media/assets to a third-party storage like Google CLoud Bucket or Amazon S3 and only save the resource URL referencing your assets in your DB
That way, size would reduce drastically by almost 95%. You have a bigger problem more than the migration itself, which you should look into, as I am leaning towards the fact that you are saving raw assets into your database, VERY UNCOOL !!

Imagine how long it would take to download and upload 45GB twice . . 90GB, and extrapolating, for a few years, your DB size would run into 10TB or more. Hmmn.

As for the migration, if your'e still using the same driver, all it takes is a DUMP and RESTORE, nothing changes , except of course you changed the Model structures. In that case, then you must write an automation script to map existing fields to their corresponding new field names. and make it loop through 45GB of data. Hehehe.

Do you have at least 200k for a job well done, else it will "end in tears" ?
I don't have up to 1 million subscribers but I have 590k and it's a social networking website so users upload pictures, videos, status, everyday thus 45gb....i have more than enough disk space to run the website for the next 5 years but issue is when situations like this happen and you want to backup database then restore. I'm not lookin to backup the entire database. I'm only looking to backup my members accounts. Getting contents is pretty issue but I can't afford to lose 590k accounts cuz in the end, only 20% will bother to re-register to the platform..
Re: Backend Developer Needed For A Quick Job (Resolved) by cixak95211: 7:14pm On Jul 23, 2020
Kelvin30286063:

I don't have up to 1 million subscribers but I have 590k and it's a social networking website so users upload pictures, videos, status, everyday thus 45gb....i have more than enough disk space to run the website for the next 5 years but issue is when situations like this happen and you want to backup database then restore. I'm not lookin to backup the entire database. I'm only looking to backup my members accounts. Getting contents is pretty issue but I can't afford to lose 590k accounts cuz in the end, only 20% will bother to re-register to the platform..

You just buttressed my point. The architecture is seriously flawed. When your app deals with images, videos etc, you contract that aspect to an external storage service and why? It makes the database very lean and performant, cos it will only save text and resource URI (text, once again). This way, if you need to do a backup or migration, you are migrating very very lean content, since the media assets themselves are constant and in an external reserve, they dont change. You could even switch drivers e.g from Mysql to Cassandra and the media assets remain the same. But now, saving your binary data to your DB, imagine you have 2 TB of data, how do you migrate, cos it has to be done at once. And cannot be cronned?
If the concerns were seperated e.g. main DB, 1GB, Media assets, 44GB, you can migrate 1gb in seconds, and do a cron job to migrate 45 later as a background process, that is even if you were willing to switch storage providers. Without stretching it too far, your backup/migration can be done. Just contract it somebody who knows his onions, simple! Its the easiest thing to do compared to other aspects of DB management.
Re: Backend Developer Needed For A Quick Job (Resolved) by Ayemileto(m): 8:57pm On Jul 23, 2020
Kelvin30286063:

Wait, wait.

Is it only your database that is 45GB, or the entire "Backup" file?
Re: Backend Developer Needed For A Quick Job (Resolved) by Kelvin30286063(m): 12:03am On Jul 24, 2020
Ayemileto:

Wait, wait.

Is it only your database that is 45GB, or the entire "Backup" file?
Entire backup
Re: Backend Developer Needed For A Quick Job (Resolved) by Ayemileto(m): 4:47am On Jul 24, 2020
Kelvin30286063:

Entire backup

Lol.

So, why are you now saying your database is 45GB?

That entire backup contains every single file on your server including pictures, videos etc. I bet your entire DB might be less than 500MB self.
Re: Backend Developer Needed For A Quick Job (Resolved) by Ayemileto(m): 4:50am On Jul 24, 2020
Kelvin30286063:

Entire backup

But before carrying out this kind of change, you'll need to consider somethings.

What password encryption us the former system using?
Is it the same with the present one? Or you'll ask all your members to change password?

Note that some password hash function can work for each other, so depending on the hashing functions involved, you might not necessarily need to ask them to change.

My battery is low now, will add more later.
Re: Backend Developer Needed For A Quick Job (Resolved) by cixak95211: 5:00am On Jul 24, 2020
Of course, it's only ideal that they use the same password encryption to prevent users from getting irate.
I dont know what your encrpption method is, but if you are using RS256 which requires public-private key-pair, then its stongly recommend that you rotate them after the backup. The same goes for drive encryption i.e. if your files are encrypted with a CSK [customer supplied key]
The only downsides are.
1. Your users will have to login again if the keypairs are rotated, even if the current user just logged in 2 seconds ago.
2. If you goof while rotating your CSKs, then kiss your files goodbye . . . although, i stongly believe you did not implement it.
Re: Backend Developer Needed For A Quick Job (Resolved) by Kelvin30286063(m): 5:31pm On Jul 24, 2020
Ayemileto:

Lol.

So, why are you now saying your database is 45GB?

That entire backup contains every single file on your server including pictures, videos etc. I bet your entire DB might be less than 500MB self.
My entire database alone is 27gb... The website file occupies the rest.
Re: Backend Developer Needed For A Quick Job (Resolved) by Ayemileto(m): 7:28pm On Jul 24, 2020
Kelvin30286063:

My entire database alone is 27gb... The website file occupies the rest.

shocked

Are you kidding me?

Anyway, if its just the login details you need, then its most likely in the users table.

just dump/export the table, and import it into the new DB.

Another option is to create a new Database with the new DB. Then write an SQL code to copy the data from the previous one to the new one.

in fact, you can use this second option for all tables, so you get to keep many of your user posts/or data, instead of just throwing everything away and restarting from scratch.

you can also write a PHP script to perform the action. just ensure you do it in batches.
Re: Backend Developer Needed For A Quick Job (Resolved) by bassdow: 2:54am On Sep 19, 2020
Ayemileto:

shocked

Are you kidding me?

Anyway, if its just the login details you need, then its most likely in the users table.

just dump/export the table, and import it into the new DB.

Another option is to create a new Database with the new DB. Then write an SQL code to copy the data from the previous one to the new one.

in fact, you can use this second option for all tables, so you get to keep many of your user posts/or data, instead of just throwing everything away and restarting from scratch.

you can also write a PHP script to perform the action. just ensure you do it in batches.

Don't know what sort of website you operate or how long it's been running BUT hopefully, you aren't storing Media / files (including Base64 encoded data) on your DataBase.
Re: Backend Developer Needed For A Quick Job (Resolved) by Ayemileto(m): 7:13am On Sep 19, 2020
bassdow:

Don't know what sort of website you operate or how long it's been running BUT hopefully, you don't store Media / files (including Base64 encoded data) on your DataBase.

Lol. From the very first book I read on PHP, I already read it's a bad practice to store files in the database. So, I have never done that.

However, my solutions are still applicable to his situation.

In fact, he can use code to relocate the images from the DB to disk. Just base64 decode the file and write it out to disk, then update the path in DB.

(1) (Reply)

Pls Review My App With React And Node Express / A Website Programmer Needed / What Degree Is Best For Me?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.