Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,049 members, 7,814,598 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 03:52 PM

Ahmad Lawan: Electoral Reforms Must Meet Expectations Of Nigerians - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ahmad Lawan: Electoral Reforms Must Meet Expectations Of Nigerians (5287 Views)

National Assembly: “Citizens’ Townhall On Electoral Reforms” Currently Ongoing / Secondus: PDP May Boycott 2023 Polls Without Electoral Reforms / Orji Kalu’s Children Meet Ahmad Lawan, Senate President (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ahmad Lawan: Electoral Reforms Must Meet Expectations Of Nigerians by CHIOMAEZEH: 12:33am On Jul 23, 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoWekzkWs8I

President of the Senate, Dr. Ahmad Lawan, has charged the Senate Committee on Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to engage relevant stakeholders with a view to reforming Nigeria’s electoral process to the expectations of Nigerians.

Lawan gave the charge in his remarks after referring the confirmation of the nomination of Dr. Chukwuemeka Chukwu for appointment as a Resident Electoral Commissioner (REC) to the Committee at plenary on Wednesday.

“We must ensure that we work so hard and assiduously on the electoral reforms. This is one way of ensuring that we collect all the different submissions from different stakeholders.

“Our Committee on INEC together with major stakeholders should start working on this as quickly as possible, to ensure that we are able to meet the expectations of Nigerians regarding electoral reforms,” Lawan said.

The Senate President also gave the Committee four weeks to submit its report on the appointment of Dr. Chukwu as INEC REC for eventual Senate confirmation.

Meanwhile, in a related development, a non-governmental organisation, Centre For Liberty (CFL), said that about 5,000 Nigerians have signed an online petition on Chnge.org entreating the National Assembly to place high premium on electoral reforms and halt its planned annual vacation until the Electoral Act Amendment Bill is addressed and passed into law.

The petition was initiated by CFL, an NGO that is presently focused on Electoral Reforms, among other core issues bordering on democratic governance and social change in Nigeria.

LEADERSHIP reports that the 9th Senate had since stayed action on the Bill for an Act to amend the Electoral Act (No. 6) 2010 and other related Matters, 2019, sponsored by the Deputy President of the Senate, Senator Ovie-Omo Agege, which was passed for second reading, in March 2020.

According to CFL Project Lead, Mr. Ariyo-Dare Atoye, Nigerians were urging the members of the National Assembly to put personal interest aide by giving the country a new Electoral Act.

The petition reads: “Electoral Reforms now represent a major Citizens Charter of Demand to the National Assembly for the year 2020. Ten years after Electoral Act 2010 was passed, Nigerians are eager to have Electoral Act 2020 (Repeal and Re-enactment).”

“We dare say that there is no better legacy on Electoral Reforms, than to give Nigerians a brand new Act this year. It is now the most sought-after legislation in the country by the generality of the people. And, with the modest effort already made by the 8th Session of the National Assembly on Electoral Reforms, in which the current principal officers were major actors, the people are of the firm opinion that Electoral Act 2020 should be a walk in the park for the 9th.

“This is coupled with the fact that President Muhammadu Buhari had expressed his willingness to sign the last amended version forwarded to him, only if the ‘Electoral Act will come into effect commencing after the 2019 General Elections.’ An indication that we almost had the Bill signed, except that the current idea of Repeal and Re-enactment is a welcome development.

“We are, therefore, compelled by the reasons above to, in the best interest of Nigeria’s democracy and her overall well-being, earnestly entreat the Nigerian Senate to halt its plans to go on its annual recess this year until the Electoral Reform Bill is passed.

“We further acknowledge that this would likely cause inconveniences to distinguished lawmakers, but as has been evident in this trying time, the Nigerian people need the effervescent direction of its leadership strata at all levels, and in this case, Electoral Reform will guide the country to her destined path of Credible Elections and Electoral Justice, just as it will cast the name of the members of the Ninth Hallowed Chamber in gold,” the petition stated.

https://leadership.ng/2020/07/22/electoral-reforms-must-meet-nigerians-expectations-lawan-tells-senate-cttee/

Re: Ahmad Lawan: Electoral Reforms Must Meet Expectations Of Nigerians by Nobody: 4:59am On Jul 23, 2020
FTC for the first time since joining nairaland.

I dedicate this FTC to my fellow Manchester United fans ... grin

3 Likes

Re: Ahmad Lawan: Electoral Reforms Must Meet Expectations Of Nigerians by SmartProf(m): 5:01am On Jul 23, 2020
Vision 3098. From the way these politicians resist anything that won't favour their manipulations, they will so sit on this indefinitely. If there is pressure on why there are no reforms yet, you'll be told by them that every Nigerian must have an input...and that's diversionary.

11 Likes

Re: Ahmad Lawan: Electoral Reforms Must Meet Expectations Of Nigerians by dijaapara: 5:02am On Jul 23, 2020
I'm not sure you guys can meet our expectations with your reforms...
Re: Ahmad Lawan: Electoral Reforms Must Meet Expectations Of Nigerians by sageer1706(m): 5:03am On Jul 23, 2020
Nigeria my country, with these set of shameless bunch of guys we will surely remain where we are... And as for we the masses we also need to change our mindset.

3 Likes

Re: Ahmad Lawan: Electoral Reforms Must Meet Expectations Of Nigerians by opius: 5:04am On Jul 23, 2020
I'm not interested, if Nigeria truly belong to all of us, please give me my share, I no dey do again

4 Likes

Re: Ahmad Lawan: Electoral Reforms Must Meet Expectations Of Nigerians by popsyleo1: 5:11am On Jul 23, 2020
cheesy
Re: Ahmad Lawan: Electoral Reforms Must Meet Expectations Of Nigerians by easyfem(m): 5:12am On Jul 23, 2020
this month is the craziest month in nigeria .. .... i dont knw the kind of name i can give the month .......... nddc saga , minister saying im not ur mate ... its abt mate now in national house of assembly , someone fainted when asking aw he spent money ....i watch a video of a lady that went to greet her new bf ...... the guy na arm robber and the idiot wasnt around, now the innocent gal don enter wahala ...... so many stupid story for the past two weeks now

RUN FOR UR LIFE GUYS ............ HELL FIRE DEY LEARN FOR NAIJA
Re: Ahmad Lawan: Electoral Reforms Must Meet Expectations Of Nigerians by Ikypaco(m): 5:15am On Jul 23, 2020
Let me know if you are ready
Re: Ahmad Lawan: Electoral Reforms Must Meet Expectations Of Nigerians by Amspecial: 5:18am On Jul 23, 2020
grin
Re: Ahmad Lawan: Electoral Reforms Must Meet Expectations Of Nigerians by atobs4real(m): 5:22am On Jul 23, 2020
No ooo please don't put the masses into this your stupid politics. Not our expectations. You will always have way when ever election comes.
Re: Ahmad Lawan: Electoral Reforms Must Meet Expectations Of Nigerians by dfrost: 5:24am On Jul 23, 2020
Story story
Re: Ahmad Lawan: Electoral Reforms Must Meet Expectations Of Nigerians by WandaNara: 5:28am On Jul 23, 2020
No comment
Re: Ahmad Lawan: Electoral Reforms Must Meet Expectations Of Nigerians by apache22b: 5:31am On Jul 23, 2020
You are a true Hero !

SmartProf:
Vision 3098. From the way these politicians resist anything that won't favour their manipulations, they will so sit on this indefinitely. If there is pressure on why there are no reforms yet, you'll be told by them that every Nigerian must have an input...and that's diversionary.

1 Like

Re: Ahmad Lawan: Electoral Reforms Must Meet Expectations Of Nigerians by nanauju(f): 5:37am On Jul 23, 2020
Hmm
Re: Ahmad Lawan: Electoral Reforms Must Meet Expectations Of Nigerians by Nobody: 5:43am On Jul 23, 2020
They should sell the country and give us our SHARE.
We are grossly tired
Re: Ahmad Lawan: Electoral Reforms Must Meet Expectations Of Nigerians by StillWiz: 5:57am On Jul 23, 2020
Organicist95:

Re: Ahmad Lawan: Electoral Reforms Must Meet Expectations Of Nigerians by gambia(m): 5:58am On Jul 23, 2020
These people will keep manipulating us. Nigeria youths ain't ready for anything, you guys don't know the power you hold, let's assume the youths can unite and form a party, honestly Pdp and Apc can't stand it, but what do i know, my fellow youths are busy fighting over some useless politicians who doesn't have their interest at heart, some have glued their eyes to Big brother Naija screen , while some are wasting their time with cultism and cyber crime activities. Alfred Papapreye Diete-Spiff became the first military governor of Rivers at 24. Let's have a rethink.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ahmad Lawan: Electoral Reforms Must Meet Expectations Of Nigerians by emmy512: 6:04am On Jul 23, 2020
Organicist95:

GGMU

1 Like

Re: Ahmad Lawan: Electoral Reforms Must Meet Expectations Of Nigerians by YorubaKinging: 6:12am On Jul 23, 2020
The end Is very very near
Re: Ahmad Lawan: Electoral Reforms Must Meet Expectations Of Nigerians by Teejay13(m): 6:15am On Jul 23, 2020
Cock and bull story!

Why is it taking you guys long to review the reform policy?

Even at that, what change do we expect to see after the Election policy reform?
Re: Ahmad Lawan: Electoral Reforms Must Meet Expectations Of Nigerians by idrismodel: 6:19am On Jul 23, 2020
It will be a pleasant surprise if anything good comes out of this Rubber Stamp assembly

1 Like

Re: Ahmad Lawan: Electoral Reforms Must Meet Expectations Of Nigerians by geozone: 6:25am On Jul 23, 2020
Its never be about nigerians o and its not okay
Re: Ahmad Lawan: Electoral Reforms Must Meet Expectations Of Nigerians by Honcho1: 6:25am On Jul 23, 2020
Lol na them
Re: Ahmad Lawan: Electoral Reforms Must Meet Expectations Of Nigerians by jamalnation(m): 6:27am On Jul 23, 2020
Audio reform
Re: Ahmad Lawan: Electoral Reforms Must Meet Expectations Of Nigerians by Dpharisee: 6:32am On Jul 23, 2020
Buhari with his Afonja packaged integrity could not implement electoral reforms such as electronic voting in the last election because he knew he was unpopular
Re: Ahmad Lawan: Electoral Reforms Must Meet Expectations Of Nigerians by Wiseandtrue(f): 6:48am On Jul 23, 2020
CHIOMAEZEH:

“Our Committee on INEC together with major stakeholders should start working on this as quickly as possible, to ensure that we are able to meet the expectations of Nigerians regarding electoral reforms,” Lawan said.

The Senate President also gave the Committee four weeks to submit its report on the appointment of Dr. Chukwu as INEC REC for eventual Senate confirmation.

https://leadership.ng/2020/07/22/electoral-reforms-must-meet-nigerians-expectations-lawan-tells-senate-cttee/
To meet the expectations of Nigerians or your selfish needs

Who are those that will make up the committee

The electoral reform that Nigerians will not have a say, in this jet age

If Dr. Chukwu was from the North will you need another 4 weeks to report his appointment

Electoral reforms my foot!
Re: Ahmad Lawan: Electoral Reforms Must Meet Expectations Of Nigerians by israelmao(m): 6:56am On Jul 23, 2020
Rubber-stamp Senate president who sees no reason in removing incompetent service chiefs.
Re: Ahmad Lawan: Electoral Reforms Must Meet Expectations Of Nigerians by donjhyde(m): 6:58am On Jul 23, 2020
You are doing well..... Sha make sure you do the right thing for the masses...
To earn money online, click the link below

https://oypvideon.xyz/524230896029621/

(1) (2) (Reply)

Can You Believe This Man Is Just 64 Years Old? / Bola Almed Tinibu Is Sick , Please Let's Pray For Him. Your Prayers Please / The Legends Of BOBO CHICAGO - Tinubu’s Drug Dealing Links Exposed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.