Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,378 members, 7,819,375 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:05 PM

How To Have A First Class In The University - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Have A First Class In The University (3531 Views)

PROVE to show that Making First class In UNI Is Harder Than Distinction In POLY / These Courses Are Difficult To Have First-class In. / 20-yr-old Osarieme Omonuwa Bags First-Class In Reading University (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Have A First Class In The University by jjc2: 5:38pm On Feb 08, 2011
in secondary sch does days, i find it difficult to read, because i like playing away my time, but now, i am now in university, i want to stop the abit of playing and develop the abit of reading but i find it difficult because i got distracted easyly, guys pls help me how to develop d abit of reading and understanding, is there any way to do it? And how to read and understand
Re: How To Have A First Class In The University by akmaldini(m): 5:39pm On Feb 08, 2011
Dat 1 na jambite
Re: How To Have A First Class In The University by thweraja10: 6:23pm On Feb 08, 2011
Just ignore any distraction and if u see that u cant ignore it, read at night and early in the morning and u can then play your head off during the day
Re: How To Have A First Class In The University by Okuda(m): 1:57am On Feb 13, 2011
U never see anything, if u r thinking right, when u fail first semester, second, and the first again of 200l, nobody would tell you that extra year is by the corner and u need to make something out of urself and not waste ur parents' money especially if your fees are really expensive.
Re: How To Have A First Class In The University by agabaI23(m): 2:02am On Feb 13, 2011
Bro it is all in you.
Determination and you are there.
Always remember that you will not remain young for ever.

Plan your activities. You have to play but you have to work as well.
plan your time and stick to it. You know what you want!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go for it.
First class is there within your reach if your intelligence is above average!!
Re: How To Have A First Class In The University by Kelvin0(m): 6:53pm On Feb 13, 2011
jjc_2:

in secondary sch does days, i find it difficult to read, because i like playing away my time, but now, i am now in university, i want to stop the abit of playing and develop the abit of reading but i find it difficult because i got distracted easily, guys pls help me how to develop d abit of reading and understanding, is there any way to do it? And how to read and understand
One very important thing you need to know is that reading needs a lot of discipline, first you must be disciplined and then you do away with all friends that do distract you whenever you try to concentrate. They might be your closest of friends as the case may be but they are your worst of enemies, if there is anything that is distracting you from achieving your goals in life that thing is your enemy.
Re: How To Have A First Class In The University by Drkul(f): 4:12pm On Feb 16, 2011
2 make a first class in uni u got 2 start 4rm ur 1st year. once ur G.p in 1styr is high u can den work ur way tru.
Re: How To Have A First Class In The University by Klite(m): 4:21pm On Feb 16, 2011
Even if ur g.p is 4.5 in year one, people like Dr. Anigbogu, Oladipo and Dr. Obi okonkwo of computer sci. Nnamdi Azikiwe uni. Awka, will make sure u dn't graduate wit 1st class. If u doubt me try dat schl.
Re: How To Have A First Class In The University by chamber2(m): 5:40pm On Feb 16, 2011
Even if your g.p is 4.5 in year one, people like Dr. Anigbogu, Oladipo and Dr. Obi okonkwo of computer sci. Nnamdi Azikiwe uni. Awka, will make sure u dn't graduate wit 1st class. If u doubt me try dat schl.

Please don't give our younger ones this shit. If you worth a 1st class it will be given to you.@op just work hard,don't read only during exams,start from the beginning of the semester to prepare for your exams.Read to acquire knowledge not to pass exams.Go to the bookshop or the school library and get good books in your field.With this,you will not only make a 1st class but also you will be knowledgeable.
Re: How To Have A First Class In The University by Jarus(m): 6:09pm On Feb 16, 2011
We discussed this 3 years ago: https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-163757.0.html
Hope it's useful.
Re: How To Have A First Class In The University by Nobody: 6:32am On Feb 18, 2011
It's good to be hard working and all that but in my school, some oloriburuku aburo oloshi will frustrate you even though u have 6points over 5! Nigeria is terribly sick, no apology!
Re: How To Have A First Class In The University by Wayne4uall(m): 11:09am On Feb 19, 2011
Jarus:

We discussed this 3 years ago: https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-163757.0.html
Hope it's useful.
@all thanks 4 u wise words
Re: How To Have A First Class In The University by kodewrita(m): 7:35am On Feb 24, 2011
I had a first class and contrary to what they tell you (that first class is a waste of time), I am still walking on its red carpet. Got a really cushy job because of it.

Let me give you the steps. Will take a lot of discipline though and some money too.

1. Have all the textbooks for each of the courses. and get the best possible. {I was trusted by my classmates for that. }

the next rule is possibly one of the most important ever.

2. SUBMIT ALL ASSIGNMENTS AND DO THEM YOURSELF AHEAD OF TIME. if possible start them immediately after class so you can have time to watch Premier league.

the next rule is related.

3. Revise and Rework all exercises and assignments before entering the exam hall.

the next rule is about gaining needed intelligence before invading the exam hall. Lecturers are not wizards, and rumour suggests the inexhaustible source of exam questions have finally run dry.

4. Get your past questions printed out/ photocopied within the first 2 weeks of landing in school. and make sure you attempt at least 90% of them before you enter the hall. Save a few for timed mock exams.

Get the curriculum or course descriptions for next semester and next session. Read during the holidays.

Finally a secret for which the Guild of First Class Students might expel me.

PASS ALL GNS COURSES WITH A's no exception. GNS courses are actually easy to pass. you dont have to devote time to them. just read them each day on your bed before sleeping. and make sure before you read the current note, that you skim through the previous notes. even if you dont have the lecture that day, just skim through the note. routinely. They will save your GP when you least expect it.

Ask questions in class, however stupid they may seem and write down the lecturers answer. why? because it will clear the areas of your knowledge.

All favourite courses (and you must have some) must be finished at least 6 weeks before the exam so you can have time to deal with the rest of the C.R.U.D.

A day before your exam (this is a personal practice). sleep well, stroll around and have fun and get all your pencils(To prevent Mr Murphy's attack, I buy 5 biros and pencils and erasers before entering the hall. Rambo's preparation is child's play compared to how I take exams) and materials ready.

Be Strategic. In OAU, 1st class students are called GP Merchants and something similar in my school too. Why? because we read the course manual as if we are stockbrokers. we know what the A courses are and the B courses where we can afford to get less than A. We know the ones that need extra effort and the ones we can master and kill off.

get trained outside school. I studied computer science but learnt all my programming before I set foot in school. The programming courses were guaranteed A courses for me.

Finally the dumb secrets:

Read EVERYDAY. its so simple yet so hard.

Sleep with sense. what do I mean? I used to come back to the hostel around 2pm to sleep for an hour or two before going back to class. I also slept immediately I came back for an hour more or two before waking up to READ THE BOOKS TO BLAZES.

Sit In front. Not because you want to impress the lecturer but I hate copying notes from people who dont even understand the course talkless copying the right thing. I want to hear exactly what the lecturer said. Besides you are automatically screened from the idle chatter at the back. The semester my GP nosedived before coming back up was the one when I sat with the really interesting and funny guys at the back. if you dont want to be directly in front, stay to the side of the class.

be nice to other people. you cannot be graded for exams you dont attend or tests you dont know about. Sometimes other people will be the ones to save you and in some cases fight for you (especially when I had envious guys secretly lobbying for my failure in strategic courses).

Finally have intelligent friends and know when to walk away from them. why? there is no other period in your life when the GIST will be as sweet. If you dont know how to escape the girl/sex gists, premier league arguments and political arguments to go and read, you cant become a first class.

1 Like

Re: How To Have A First Class In The University by Nobody: 11:00am On Feb 24, 2011
1st class does'nt necessarily require all those efforts enunciated by kodewrita. Most 1st class graduates don't have 2 b a workaholic b4 making it,for some, d quality is innate. I'm a potential 1st class graduate.
Re: How To Have A First Class In The University by Dormitila(f): 2:49pm On Feb 24, 2011
@lakesider, dats his own xperience. N m so challenged coz i admire d idea n m also a jambite. U dnt xpect doin a veri competitive course n dnt follow at least 4 of dose points he mentioned xcept u got d first class odawise n nt wif ur brain.
Re: How To Have A First Class In The University by kodewrita(m): 4:49pm On Feb 24, 2011
I am adding this for Dormitila. Make your first class in your first two years if possible. It gets harder the longer you spend in the school.

As for the ones that seem to have it easy, there are two reasons.

They live their courses e.g me. I have been playing with, reading about and studying computers since age 11(when I visited my first computer camp and saw Windows 3.1, Wordperfect and BASIC for the first time).

the second reason is that they are pretty good at hiding their hardwork. I used to do that too. I would be smiling sheepishly and strolling around school while my mates were killing themselves with final revision , secure in the knowledge that I had already massacred all the questions I could lay my hands on with respect to that course.

Everybody wants to get to heaven, nobody wants to die.
Re: How To Have A First Class In The University by Jarus(m): 7:44pm On Feb 27, 2011
By the grace of God, I belong to this category. My secret? God's help of course.

But from experience, the following could be useful:
1, NATURAL BRILLIANCE: Most First class grads are naturally brilliant,not strugglers. Sure you still have to read. Yes, you just have to read. But if you see student X and student Y read for 3 hours, subject to the same condition, and X scores 80%(or let's say graduates with with Firts Class) and Y scores 50%(or more generally, graduates with 2-2), what is at play there is natural brilliance. First Class materials don't struggle academically, they are naturally brilliant. In my class for example, the guy that read most was not among the Top 60 students in class. Likewise, I wasn't among among the Top 20 heaviest readers, if hours spent reading is anything to go by.

2, OPTIMISM & SELF BELIEF : Most First Class students have self-belief that they can make it, right from year 1. They don't get swayed by the common pessimistic ranting of majority of the students that YOU CAN'TMAKE FIRST CLASS;THEY WONT GIVE YOU. First Class materials dismiss such claims, and go ahead pursuing it.

3, LONG TERM TARGET Most First Class studenst don't use the Fire Brigade approach. It involves setting targets and being conscious of it. I started a conscious pursuit of it right from my year 1. I always targeted A in every course.

4, CALCULATIONS
: Most First Class students always have their brains doing calculations and permutations on how to achieve their target.Don't be surprised if you see a First Class reading a purely theoretical course but having calculator by his side.He is using the calculator, not for the course he's reading, but for calcualting stuffs and assumptions like: 'If i had B in this course,what will my GP be?', 'What if I misfire in a 30 marks questions(i.e misinterprete) in this course and eventually score D, won't i drop from First Class'. He will simply take his calculator by his side and work out what his GP will be under these assumptions.I, for one,didn't look at A from the point of scoring 70% but from missing 30 marks. 30 marks is too big to miss in a course.So in any course I didn't miss up to 30, I scored 70% and above and that was A. Later, A became so easy for me. I scored A in 76.6% of all the courses I did from year 1 to 4.

5, COMPETITION: I have always hated playing the second fiddle in my life. I think many First Class students also share this. I can't stand not being among the 'frontliners' anywhere I find myself. So the desire to top my class motivated me to study hard. My class was especially very competitive, and I can't afford not to among the best, if not the best.

I hope that helps!!!

2 Likes

Re: How To Have A First Class In The University by loma(m): 2:54am On Feb 28, 2011
Jarus:

By the grace of God, I belong to this category. My secret? God's help of course.

But from experience, the following could be useful:
1, NATURAL BRILLIANCE: Most First class grads are naturally brilliant,not strugglers. Sure you still have to read. Yes, you just have to read. But if you see student X and student Y read for 3 hours, subject to the same condition, and X scores 80%(or let's say graduates with with Firts Class) and Y scores 50%(or more generally, graduates with 2-2), what is at play there is natural brilliance. First Class materials don't struggle academically, they are naturally brilliant. In my class for example, the guy that read most was not among the Top 60 students in class. Likewise, I wasn't among among the Top 20 heaviest readers, if hours spent reading is anything to go by.

2, OPTIMISM & SELF BELIEF : Most First Class students have self-belief that they can make it, right from year 1. They don't get swayed by the common pessimistic ranting of majority of the students that YOU CAN'TMAKE FIRST CLASS;THEY WONT GIVE YOU. First Class materials dismiss such claims, and go ahead pursuing it.

3, LONG TERM TARGET Most First Class studenst don't use the Fire Brigade approach. It involves setting targets and being conscious of it. I started a conscious pursuit of it right from my year 1. I always targeted A in every course.

4, CALCULATIONS
: Most First Class students always have their brains doing calculations and permutations on how to achieve their target.Don't be surprised if you see a First Class reading a purely theoretical course but having calculator by his side.He is using the calculator, not for the course he's reading, but for calcualting stuffs and assumptions like: 'If i had B in this course,what will my GP be?', 'What if I misfire in a 30 marks questions(i.e misinterprete) in this course and eventually score D, won't i drop from First Class'. He will simply take his calculator by his side and work out what his GP will be under these assumptions.I, for one,didn't look at A from the point of scoring 70% but from missing 30 marks. 30 marks is too big to miss in a course.So in any course I didn't miss up to 30, I scored 70% and above and that was A. Later, A became so easy for me. I scored A in 76.6% of all the courses I did from year 1 to 4.

5, COMPETITION: I have always hated playing the second fiddle in my life. I think many First Class students also share this. I can't stand not being among the 'frontliners' anywhere I find myself. So the desire to top my class motivated me to study hard. My class was especially very competitive, and I can't afford not to among the best, if not the best.

I hope that helps!!!

Co-signed.

The only thing I would add is that you need to have some friends who are smarter, and more diligent than you are. If you are like me, these are the folks you will spend time with the week before the exam, walking you through the courses that are difficult for you, and the assignments you do not understand. Don't forget to apologise to them when you score higher than them, and they then wonder if you were only fooling with them before the exam.

(1) (Reply)

6 Young Nigerians Enrolled At Harvard Law School As Phd Students / Alqalam University Katsina Convocation 2016 / 16 Amazing But Weird China Facts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.