Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,841 members, 7,813,827 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:19 PM

Revealed: Why I Was Disappointed In Chinua Achebe - Wole Soyinka - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Revealed: Why I Was Disappointed In Chinua Achebe - Wole Soyinka (2283 Views)

Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him / Wole Soyinka With Founding Members Of Pyrate In 1952 (Throwback Photo) / Wole Soyinka Reacts To Wedding Of His Son, Oretunlewa And Nneka Ekechukwu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Revealed: Why I Was Disappointed In Chinua Achebe - Wole Soyinka by vegafbs: 11:55am On Jul 26, 2020
Nobel Laureate Prof Wole Soyinka has opened up he was indeed disappointed by some remarks made by the late renowned novelist, Prof Chinua Achebe, shortly after Soyinka’s emergence as the winner of the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1986.

Soyinka revealed this in a chat with Okey Ndibe, aired on terrestrial TV programme Channels Television’s Book Club.

Ndibe during the conversation recalled how Achebe once said, “The Nobel Prize did not make one the Asiwaju of African Literature.”

He then asked Soyinka how he felt about that statement at the time.

In response, Wole Soyinka said, “The subject was not even literature when he (Achebe) made that statement. I was disappointed that he created a nexus between my normal sociopolitical life and my normal way of articulating an opinion.

“It was almost like because I won the Nobel Prize, I have no right to offer, to do what I used to do before all my life. I responded to it, even though I wanted to make light of it.”

Recall Prof. Akinwande Oluwole Babatunde Soyinka, born 13 July 1934, widely called as Wole Soyinka is a playwright, poet and essayist.

He was awarded the 1986 Nobel Prize in Literature, the first sub-Saharan African to be honoured in that category.

https://theupdates.net/revealed-why-i-was-disappointed-in-chinua-achebe-wole-soyinka/

Re: Revealed: Why I Was Disappointed In Chinua Achebe - Wole Soyinka by BigTableShaker(f): 11:57am On Jul 26, 2020
na bitterness kill flati

4 Likes

Re: Revealed: Why I Was Disappointed In Chinua Achebe - Wole Soyinka by Brooklynsouth(f): 11:58am On Jul 26, 2020
imagine this illiterate talking about great chinua achebe

9 Likes

Re: Revealed: Why I Was Disappointed In Chinua Achebe - Wole Soyinka by flokii: 12:03pm On Jul 26, 2020
No sane person will give achebe anything close to a nobel prize.. a bitter, egocentric, hateful and uncivilized human being grin

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Revealed: Why I Was Disappointed In Chinua Achebe - Wole Soyinka by SaintBeehot(m): 12:06pm On Jul 26, 2020
Brooklynsouth:
Bigotry has made you lost the little sense you inherited.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Revealed: Why I Was Disappointed In Chinua Achebe - Wole Soyinka by MightySparrow: 12:07pm On Jul 26, 2020
Brooklynsouth:
When you want to call people illiterate, I don't think a biafran has the qualification to say that - not to soyinka. He is of his class among the black race.

3 Likes

Re: Revealed: Why I Was Disappointed In Chinua Achebe - Wole Soyinka by Charmingrascal(m): 12:21pm On Jul 26, 2020
Brooklynsouth:

8 Likes

Re: Revealed: Why I Was Disappointed In Chinua Achebe - Wole Soyinka by gungab(m): 12:45pm On Jul 26, 2020
grin
Re: Revealed: Why I Was Disappointed In Chinua Achebe - Wole Soyinka by Nigeriabiafra80: 12:52pm On Jul 26, 2020
Soyinka Is just an English speaker with an over bloated ego
Which his literary works is depict of English settings,lacking his native culture,traditions and history
Now I can relate why he supported pmb against gej cos history is bound to repeat itself ,especially when it is championed by homos that fails to acknowledge his culture and history
In others words
Soyinka is only good in English and lack satires in his dealings

Top ten best Africa novel
Things fall apart is toping the list
With arrow of god
Anthills of savannah
No longer at ease
Man of the people
By same Achebe
With only 2 of Soyinka’s works
That he,Soyinka received an award of mediocre didn’t connote as best man in such field
He was just favored against Achebe who fought and totally against British system of colonialism

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Revealed: Why I Was Disappointed In Chinua Achebe - Wole Soyinka by Nigeriabiafra80: 12:52pm On Jul 26, 2020
Soyinka and rubbis

1 Like

Re: Revealed: Why I Was Disappointed In Chinua Achebe - Wole Soyinka by IamWonderful: 12:54pm On Jul 26, 2020
Wole don't worry jareeee, bitterness and hatred is hereditary and congenital, only insignificant few of them that were enlightened and renewed that are freed from it. Sir remember the first coup and armed robbery was bore out of heart devoured by bitterness and delusion. Wole the true son of soyinka, let them talk, it is because you are born with greatness and they are born with bitterness

5 Likes

Re: Revealed: Why I Was Disappointed In Chinua Achebe - Wole Soyinka by johnmartus(m): 12:58pm On Jul 26, 2020
Achebe was a very tribalistic man. No wonder he die painfully.

5 Likes

Re: Revealed: Why I Was Disappointed In Chinua Achebe - Wole Soyinka by EmekaA125(m): 1:00pm On Jul 26, 2020
IamWonderful:
Wole don't worry jareeee, bitterness and hatred is hereditary and congenital, only insignificant few of them that were enlightened and renewed that are freed from it. Sir remember the first coup and armed robbery was bore out of heart devoured by bitterness and delusion. Wole the true son of soyinka, let them talk, it is because you are born with greatness and they are born with bitterness
Are you okay or you are going bananas
Re: Revealed: Why I Was Disappointed In Chinua Achebe - Wole Soyinka by Lazycyndy(f): 1:07pm On Jul 26, 2020
BigTableShaker:
na bitterness kill flati

Tribalism no go kill una.

1 Like

Re: Revealed: Why I Was Disappointed In Chinua Achebe - Wole Soyinka by Daddysidhan: 1:12pm On Jul 26, 2020
The igbos are bunch of jealous people imagine lewandoski accusing C.RONALDO of not being good enough for world footballer of the year while he played same football but only his village chief recognise him. Achebe is truly a bitter nincompoop.

4 Likes

Re: Revealed: Why I Was Disappointed In Chinua Achebe - Wole Soyinka by HomerTimpson: 1:35pm On Jul 26, 2020
Brooklynsouth:
WOW! And what your definition of greatness?Thanks
Re: Revealed: Why I Was Disappointed In Chinua Achebe - Wole Soyinka by maak400: 1:54pm On Jul 26, 2020
Despite Chinua achebe’s literary feat, he’s a tribal bigot jealous of Soyinka’s Nobel laureate achievement just the way majority of igbos despise Soyinka for the same reason. Fact remains that Soyinka is a Nobel laureate while Achebe is not. Deal with it. Imagine some unknown nonentity calling Soyinka an illiterate just because of hatred that a typical igbo person is known for.

6 Likes

Re: Revealed: Why I Was Disappointed In Chinua Achebe - Wole Soyinka by Cherez: 2:36pm On Jul 26, 2020
flokii:
No sane person will give achebe anything close to a nobel prize.. a bitter, egocentric, hateful and uncivilized human being grin
Funny
Inasmuch as I will berate Achebe for his words on Soyinka, Achebe is an uncommon writer
And you say this because he writes his heart as it is with Nigeria
Oga, Nigeria is a shithole take it or leave it
I have not met a single individual who is so proud to be a Nigerian
Where bloodshed is common to govt and citizens
People loot billions just to buy Ferrari while people die for lack of N10,000 for malaria treatment

1 Like

Re: Revealed: Why I Was Disappointed In Chinua Achebe - Wole Soyinka by flokii: 2:46pm On Jul 26, 2020
Cherez:

Funny
Inasmuch as I will berate Achebe for his words on Soyinka, Achebe is an uncommon writer
And you say this because he writes his heart as it is with Nigeria
Oga, Nigeria is a shithole take it or leave it
I have not met a single individual who is so proud to be a Nigerian
Where bloodshed is common to govt and citizens
People loot billions just to buy Ferrari while people die for lack of N10,000 for malaria treatment

His writings are full of lies and sentiments mister.. always paints his people as victims and others as guilty even when it's evident that his Igbo people are the cause of all our problems from the deadly coups and bloodshed they started in Nigeria.

The dude was just talented but not entirely honest, say a bitter tribalist.

1 Like

Re: Revealed: Why I Was Disappointed In Chinua Achebe - Wole Soyinka by adedayoa2(f): 2:54pm On Jul 26, 2020
Brooklynsouth:
why not read and dont let bigotry destroy you
Re: Revealed: Why I Was Disappointed In Chinua Achebe - Wole Soyinka by adedayoa2(f): 2:56pm On Jul 26, 2020
vegafbs:

Ndibe during the conversation recalled how Achebe once said, “The Nobel Prize did not make one the Asiwaju of African Literature.”

Re: Revealed: Why I Was Disappointed In Chinua Achebe - Wole Soyinka by Throwback: 2:57pm On Jul 26, 2020
Brooklynsouth:

The arrogance of a clansman is 2nd to none.

1 Like

Re: Revealed: Why I Was Disappointed In Chinua Achebe - Wole Soyinka by articleme(m): 2:59pm On Jul 26, 2020
hmm
Re: Revealed: Why I Was Disappointed In Chinua Achebe - Wole Soyinka by Nobody: 3:00pm On Jul 26, 2020
flokii:

...like his Igbo people....so prideful and embittered....
They don't see nothing good in other tribe achievement....
Chimamada also have this kind of attitude....it is in their blood

Tueh...... I spit on their Nyamiri flatted heads

1 Like

Re: Revealed: Why I Was Disappointed In Chinua Achebe - Wole Soyinka by ThatFairGuy1: 3:03pm On Jul 26, 2020
That bitterness, envy is ANCESTRAL. It has been passed to their wards. They're here on NL as proof.
Re: Revealed: Why I Was Disappointed In Chinua Achebe - Wole Soyinka by Iko5000: 3:03pm On Jul 26, 2020
This hateful talk will stay on Nairaland becuase they bask in this and love it
johnmartus:
Achebe was a very tribalistic man. No wonder he die painfully.
Re: Revealed: Why I Was Disappointed In Chinua Achebe - Wole Soyinka by ThatFairGuy1: 3:05pm On Jul 26, 2020
Brooklynsouth:
Ashawo has spoken.
Re: Revealed: Why I Was Disappointed In Chinua Achebe - Wole Soyinka by mrvitalis(m): 3:05pm On Jul 26, 2020
flokii:
Best selling African writer

2 Likes

Re: Revealed: Why I Was Disappointed In Chinua Achebe - Wole Soyinka by JAMO84: 3:16pm On Jul 26, 2020
When Achebe realized he was going to die, he hurriedly put thousands of lies together in a book and called it "There was a Nation."

I AM DONE TALKING
Re: Revealed: Why I Was Disappointed In Chinua Achebe - Wole Soyinka by lamentor78(m): 3:21pm On Jul 26, 2020
So because Soyinka got a prize and Achebe did not that is why all of you are fighting. Una dey craze Akpabio that did not even write book who only specialized in looting is the prize winner for today
Re: Revealed: Why I Was Disappointed In Chinua Achebe - Wole Soyinka by Nobody: 3:23pm On Jul 26, 2020
Wole Soyinka is more of politics while achebe is true to his pen

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is Self Publishing Ur Book A Good Idea In Nigeria? / Drama: The Church International (tci) / From The Heart Of A Sapiosexual...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.