Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,550 members, 7,819,949 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:18 AM

Animal World: Surviving The Savannah And Jungle [photos] - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Animal World: Surviving The Savannah And Jungle [photos] (8261 Views)

How Are University Students Surviving In This Harsh Economy? / Baby killing and Cannibalism in the animal world. / Remarkable Moments In the animal world [photos] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Animal World: Surviving The Savannah And Jungle [photos] by jagorinho: 1:17pm On Jul 28, 2020
Dalil8:

Tigers don't like taking risks and they are not sociable. They mostly feed on injured or sick animals.

Lions on the other hand can take down any animal no matter the size. They are fearless and they have stronger bones than tigers even though tigers weigh more.

Lions bully tigers alot when confined together. So it's not by chance they got the title "King of all Beast".

This is false, Tigers are better hunters than lions, lions hunt in pride while tigers are solitary, on Nat geo wild " ultimate cat challenge " out of five big cats tested in various abilities, the tiger came top, mind you lions, leopards , cheetahs were also there, Google Tigers vs lions and see for yourself, don't let the hype surrounding lions deceive you, the tiger is an assassin far more brutal than the lion.

During the roman empire, the Tiger always came top killing the lions in the final when the animals are made to fight in a tournament format, in a Turkish zoo, a tiger killed a lion with a single strike to the neck, the lion died in a pool of blood.

Due to its solitary lifestyle, the tiger is a trained killer, an efficient killing machine, the only country (India) where lions and tiger are found in the wild, the tiger reigns supreme....... do not buy the hype, the tiger is the real badass, the Siberian tiger is the current apex predator, it will thump any lion with ease, it weighs 20kg more than an average African lion.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Animal World: Surviving The Savannah And Jungle [photos] by jagorinho: 1:23pm On Jul 28, 2020
Dalil8:

Take a group of Siberian tigers to the savannahs of Africa, i bet you they won't last a week.

Stop arguing. It's an already proven fact.

stop peddling ignorance!! haba, the Siberian tiger is the number one apex predator currently in the world, please google "Tiger vs lions" and see for yourself, in 1899 in India, a Bengal tiger was made to fight an Atlas lion, they opted for the Atlas lion because they were bigger than the Indian lions, after a very entertaining fight , the tiger killed the lion, and mind you, that same tiger has killed about 15 lions before that fight.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Animal World: Surviving The Savannah And Jungle [photos] by jagorinho: 1:33pm On Jul 28, 2020
Dalil8:

Well at least they were fearless enough to take it down as a group. But a group of Siberian tigers wouldn't even dare. They are not risk takers.

A single Lion/lioness would easily take down same prey a tiger would so....

saying tigers are not risk taker is an unguarded statement worthy of strong reprimand, you have little knowledge on the rivalry between Tigers and lions, you are typing with emotions and discarding facts, the comparison between lion and tiger is like a comparison between a cult member ( that depends on backups) and an assassin ( trained to kill)

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Animal World: Surviving The Savannah And Jungle [photos] by ZACHIE: 2:03pm On Jul 28, 2020
Heavance:

One of my favourite animals.
I wish I can have it as pet, but this guy doesn't care. It holds the record for being the most fearless animal

You will not want to do that, bro.
Badgers go for the testes of bigger animals when sufficiently provoked.
Keep your scrotum. Avoid badass Badgers because you may not know what angers them����
Re: Animal World: Surviving The Savannah And Jungle [photos] by ZACHIE: 2:09pm On Jul 28, 2020
School the unschooled.
Teach the unlearned.
Leave Dalil8 alone to regurgitate his ignorance.

Lions are formidable animals, no doubt. They are top predators, agreed but, they are not alpha animals.

Hyenas hate them with a passion and for good reasons too. They randomly steal their kills.
But, I'm yet to read of any animal stealing from Tigers and leopards.

jagorinho:

This is false, Tigers are better hunters than lions, lions hunt in pride while tigers are solitary, on Nat geo wild " ultimate cat challenge " out of five big cats tested in various abilities, the tiger came top, mind you lions, leopards , cheetahs were also there, Google Tigers vs lions and see for yourself, don't let the hype surrounding lions deceive you, the tiger is an assassin far more brutal than the lion.

During the roman empire, the Tiger always came top killing the lions in the final when the animals are made to fight in a tournament format, in a Turkish zoo, a tiger killed a lion with a single strike to the neck, the lion died in a pool of blood.

Due to its solitary lifestyle, the tiger is a trained killer, an efficient killing machine, the only country (India) where lions and tiger are found in the wild, the tiger reigns supreme....... do not buy the hype, the tiger is the real badass, the Siberian tiger is the current apex predator, it will thump any lion with ease, it weighs 20kg more than an average African lion.
Re: Animal World: Surviving The Savannah And Jungle [photos] by Texman21: 2:11pm On Jul 28, 2020
Thinking whether to chip in on the debate...

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Animal World: Surviving The Savannah And Jungle [photos] by VerifiedStalin: 2:31pm On Jul 28, 2020
I would advice everyone arguing about Tiger vs Lion to read the wikipedia article below. It's an interesting read. What I gleaned from the article is thus, neither animal is always superior to the other. Lions have killed Tigers and vice versa.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiger_versus_lion

4 Likes

Re: Animal World: Surviving The Savannah And Jungle [photos] by FlordFlorez(m): 2:33pm On Jul 28, 2020
ZACHIE:
School the unschooled.
Teach the unlearned.
Leave Dalil8 alone to regurgitate his ignorance.

Lions are formidable animals, no doubt. They are top predators, agreed but, they are not alpha animals.

Hyenas hate them with a passion and for good reasons too. They randomly steal their kills.
But, I'm yet to read of any animal stealing from Tigers and leopards.

No known animal has successfully steal from a Tiger in the wild!

2 Likes

Re: Animal World: Surviving The Savannah And Jungle [photos] by nathdim: 2:35pm On Jul 28, 2020
I dey pity the lion wey one pass his boundary

2 Likes

Re: Animal World: Surviving The Savannah And Jungle [photos] by Nedlog01(m): 2:40pm On Jul 28, 2020
Let me introduce you to: The Chicken Farm (https://www.thechickenfarm.com.ng). It is a platform where you can buy and sell chicken products from poultry products to fast food to even chicken equipment. Visit The Chicken Farm: https://www.thechickenfarm.com.ng
Re: Animal World: Surviving The Savannah And Jungle [photos] by FlordFlorez(m): 2:40pm On Jul 28, 2020
VerifiedStalin:
I would advice everyone arguing about Tiger vs Lion to read the wikipedia article below. It's an interesting read. From what I can glean from the article, neither animal is always superior to the other. Lions have killed Tigers and vice versa.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiger_versus_lion

No doubt about that but the Tiger always kill Lions. Cases where Lion can kill a Tiger is where the Lion is bigger than Tiger. Even some cases where the former is bigger the latter can still kill. Tigers are more technique and physique than Lion anyday, anytime except you are comparing with a much younger tiger.
Re: Animal World: Surviving The Savannah And Jungle [photos] by FlordFlorez(m): 2:41pm On Jul 28, 2020
nathdim:

That is a huge Siberian Tiger!

I love it.
Re: Animal World: Surviving The Savannah And Jungle [photos] by VerifiedStalin: 2:43pm On Jul 28, 2020
FlordFlorez:

No doubt about that but the Tiger always kill Lions. Cases where Lion can kill a Tiger is where the Lion is bigger than Tiger. Even some cases where the former is bigger the latter can still kill. Tigers are more technique and physique than Lion anyday, anytime except you are comparing with a much younger tiger.

You clearly didn't read the article.
Re: Animal World: Surviving The Savannah And Jungle [photos] by FlordFlorez(m): 2:46pm On Jul 28, 2020
nams77:

Bullying? Yes. Lions have their kits and kins to fall back on when they are injured but a tiger is a loner, so he is wary in picking up a fight to avoid sustaining needless injury and going hungry. A lion can so afford to be aggressive
It is more harder to hunt in a forest than in a Savannah. Try chasing a prey in a forest and see how difficult it is to achieve full burst of speed to take up your prey.
The Savannah is a perfect terrain for a lion. Tall grasses to hide in and open expanse of land to run on and catch your prey. A lion will like starve in a jungle except it adjusts its hunting pattern.
You said the tooth has no role to play? Lol. Ask the jaguar. It has the biggest bite force, even more than a hyena. Its bites can pierced and crack skulls.with such terrible bite, death comes quickly, than the strangulation method employed by lions, waiting for the animal to suffocate to death. The jaguar is smaller than a tiger but hunts crocs and alligators.

Cc. Heavance, zachie

You are very correct. Jaguar has the most fatal bite force. Tiger comes second.

3 Likes

Re: Animal World: Surviving The Savannah And Jungle [photos] by ZACHIE: 2:48pm On Jul 28, 2020
Dalil8:

[b]You need to get back to school kid. When i was your age and still fascinated by wildlife, i knew better.

An Average African Lion weighs roughly 260kg, A Siberian Tiger 300kg

In my opinion Tigers are overfed Lions. Lions get to share their kill with the pride and go hungry most of the time. But Tigers have the whole kill to themselves.

But when fed with the same amount of calories in captivity, they weigh the same.

Below are photos of Lions and Tigers of same sex in captivity. Which one looks bigger? [/b]

I'm done here.

I do not know you. You do not know me.
So, please, do not assume to be older than me. I will treat you with respect, as well.

You are spewing a great deal of ignorant posts and we felt we should put you on the path of knowledge. Instead of lending your mind to knowledge you are diminishing your elders. Continue. Look for more circus pictures and post. That is okay.

But, let me sign off that this debate has been laid to rest among animal experts. it is a no context.
Ultimately, the age of the animals and their health will determine who wins.

Where they are both in prime conditions, the tiger wins almost all of the time.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Animal World: Surviving The Savannah And Jungle [photos] by Dalil8: 2:48pm On Jul 28, 2020
Re: Animal World: Surviving The Savannah And Jungle [photos] by Dalil8: 2:51pm On Jul 28, 2020
nathdim:

That's exactly the same size of a full grown Lion when on its hind legs.

But hey no more replies from my end. Google is enough for you to school yourself.
Re: Animal World: Surviving The Savannah And Jungle [photos] by VerifiedStalin: 2:53pm On Jul 28, 2020
nathdim:

A fully grown lion is taller than a Siberian Tiger. The Tiger in the picture is a Bengal tiger. Bengal Tigers are generally shorter than Siberian Tigers.

A Tiger is often larger, and more muscular than a Lion, but shorter in height.

2 Likes

Re: Animal World: Surviving The Savannah And Jungle [photos] by FlordFlorez(m): 2:56pm On Jul 28, 2020
VerifiedStalin:

You clearly didn't read the article.

Clark (1838) said that a British officer, who resided many years at Sierra Leone, saw many fights between lions and tigers, and that the tiger 'universally' won.[29][a]
A newspaper Harper's Weekly in 1859, mentioning the same 10-minute fight in London[62][63] where a tiger named 'Gunga', who had previously belonged to the King of Oude, allegedly killed nearly 30 lions and after its arrival in England, made the keepers spectators to a fight where a lion was killed in 10 minutes.[64] A 1857 London newspaper talking about the same incident reported the lion was a "very fine lion, six or seven years old".[65] One source stated the lion was in confinement (captivity) for three years, implying the lion would be three years old at a minimum.[66] A newspaper talks about Gunga, whose name was also "Nina Shahib" and who, before the fight took place with the lion in London, had attacked its keeper, after which the keeper severely injured the tiger with a crowbar, blinding him in one eye, meaning the tiger would have been blind fighting the lion. The two animals were found fighting each other, in which the keepers made fruitless efforts to part the two animals. Towards the end of the fight, the lion gained a brief advantage, at which point the tiger, while on his back, with swift strikes and using his back legs, tore open the lion's stomach. The lion died after that. The tiger "Nina Shahib" was thought to have been mortally injured. However, the tiger did recover and became one of the biggest attractions of the establishment.[67]
In 1882, a fight started in a menagerie and the tiger fixed his fangs into the lion's throat with blood gushing out, killing the lion.[68]
According to the Gettysburg Compiler and The Baltimore Sun (1899), towards the end of the 19th century in India, the Gaekwad of Baroda, that is Sayajirao III,[69][70] arranged a fight in an amphitheater, between a Barbary lion called 'Atlas', from the Atlas Mountains between Algeria and Morocco, and a man-eating Bengal tiger from the Indian region of Shimla, both large and hungry (with their diets reduced before the fight), before an audience of thousands, instead of between an Indian lion and the tiger, as Indian lions were believed to be no match for Bengal tigers. The tiger was more than 10 feet (3.0 metres) long, over 4 feet (120 centimetres) feet at the shoulder, had strong shoulders and long teeth and claws, and was agile. The lion looked taller at the head than the tiger, and had a large mane, legs and paws. The tiger was seen as "the personification of graceful strength and supple energy," whereas the lion was seen as the "embodiment of massive power and adamantine muscle".[57] In the fight, both cats sustained injuries, and although the tiger sometimes retreated from Atlas, it would come back to fight it, and in the end, managed to scratch Atlas to death, though Atlas pushed it off in one final move before dying. The Gaekwad agreed to pay 37,000 rupees, accepted that the tiger was the "King of the Cat Family," decreed that Atlas' body be given a Royal burial, and that the tiger should have a "cage of honour" in the menagerie of Baroda, and decided to prepare the tiger for a battle with a Sierran grizzly bear weighing more than 1,500 lb (680 kilograms). The battle was to happen after the tiger recovered from its wounds.[9][57]

I guess you are the one that didnt read the article you shared.

2 Likes

Re: Animal World: Surviving The Savannah And Jungle [photos] by Dalil8: 2:57pm On Jul 28, 2020
VerifiedStalin:

A fully grown lion is taller than a Siberian Tiger. The Tiger in the picture is a Bengal tiger. Bengal Tigers are generally shorter than Siberian Tigers.

Not exactly larger. I'd say "fatter". But they grow to the same size when bred in captivity and fed with equal amounts of calories. And yes Lions are longer than Tigers.
Re: Animal World: Surviving The Savannah And Jungle [photos] by ZACHIE: 2:57pm On Jul 28, 2020
hidhrhis:

Bro go and learn

Broz, you and i are saying the same thing. Why attack ?
Chop knuckle, boss

1 Like

Re: Animal World: Surviving The Savannah And Jungle [photos] by FlordFlorez(m): 3:01pm On Jul 28, 2020
VerifiedStalin:

The height is useless in their encounter cause Tigers fight while standing (pound for pound).
Re: Animal World: Surviving The Savannah And Jungle [photos] by VerifiedStalin: 3:10pm On Jul 28, 2020
FlordFlorez:

Clark (1838) said that a British officer, who resided many years at Sierra Leone, saw many fights between lions and tigers, and that the tiger 'universally' won.[29][a]
A newspaper Harper's Weekly in 1859, mentioning the same 10-minute fight in London[62][63] where a tiger named 'Gunga', who had previously belonged to the King of Oude, allegedly killed nearly 30 lions and after its arrival in England, made the keepers spectators to a fight where a lion was killed in 10 minutes.[64] A 1857 London newspaper talking about the same incident reported the lion was a "very fine lion, six or seven years old".[65] One source stated the lion was in confinement (captivity) for three years, implying the lion would be three years old at a minimum.[66] A newspaper talks about Gunga, whose name was also "Nina Shahib" and who, before the fight took place with the lion in London, had attacked its keeper, after which the keeper severely injured the tiger with a crowbar, blinding him in one eye, meaning the tiger would have been blind fighting the lion. The two animals were found fighting each other, in which the keepers made fruitless efforts to part the two animals. Towards the end of the fight, the lion gained a brief advantage, at which point the tiger, while on his back, with swift strikes and using his back legs, tore open the lion's stomach. The lion died after that. The tiger "Nina Shahib" was thought to have been mortally injured. However, the tiger did recover and became one of the biggest attractions of the establishment.[67]
In 1882, a fight started in a menagerie and the tiger fixed his fangs into the lion's throat with blood gushing out, killing the lion.[68]
According to the Gettysburg Compiler and The Baltimore Sun (1899), towards the end of the 19th century in India, the Gaekwad of Baroda, that is Sayajirao III,[69][70] arranged a fight in an amphitheater, between a Barbary lion called 'Atlas', from the Atlas Mountains between Algeria and Morocco, and a man-eating Bengal tiger from the Indian region of Shimla, both large and hungry (with their diets reduced before the fight), before an audience of thousands, instead of between an Indian lion and the tiger, as Indian lions were believed to be no match for Bengal tigers. The tiger was more than 10 feet (3.0 metres) long, over 4 feet (120 centimetres) feet at the shoulder, had strong shoulders and long teeth and claws, and was agile. The lion looked taller at the head than the tiger, and had a large mane, legs and paws. The tiger was seen as "the personification of graceful strength and supple energy," whereas the lion was seen as the "embodiment of massive power and adamantine muscle".[57] In the fight, both cats sustained injuries, and although the tiger sometimes retreated from Atlas, it would come back to fight it, and in the end, managed to scratch Atlas to death, though Atlas pushed it off in one final move before dying. The Gaekwad agreed to pay 37,000 rupees, accepted that the tiger was the "King of the Cat Family," decreed that Atlas' body be given a Royal burial, and that the tiger should have a "cage of honour" in the menagerie of Baroda, and decided to prepare the tiger for a battle with a Sierran grizzly bear weighing more than 1,500 lb (680 kilograms). The battle was to happen after the tiger recovered from its wounds.[9][57]

I guess you are the one that didnt read the article you shared.

Since you're clearly quoting selected parts of the article that favour your narrative, allow me to post a screenshot from the same article that directly contradicts the part you quoted.

You seemed to have completely missed the point of the article, which theorized that neither animal is always superior to the other in documented history.

4 Likes

Re: Animal World: Surviving The Savannah And Jungle [photos] by Dalil8: 3:16pm On Jul 28, 2020
VerifiedStalin:

Since you're clearly quoting selected parts of the article that favour your narrative, allow me to post a screenshot from the same article that directly contradicts the part you quoted.

You seemed to have completely missed the point of the article, which theorized that neither animals is always superior to the other in documented history.

I get that they are Tiger lovers, i am too. But we all have to accept the reality of things which is; Lions are Kings of all Beasts.

I have searched every article on the web trying to prove otherwise but i have only found a handful of them.

90% of the time, Lions have always bullied and killed Tigers even in their own domain.

But they chose to ignore. The few other instances where Tigers have killed Lions is what they try to sell to us.

Tigers have zero tolerance level because of its lone lifestyle. Infact they share similar traits with Leopards.

A Lion isn't overly aggressive until it's dinner time, it will bring down any beast that crosses its path be it an Elephant or Hippo or Giraffe.
Re: Animal World: Surviving The Savannah And Jungle [photos] by nams77: 3:16pm On Jul 28, 2020
Dalil8:

Not exactly larger. I'd say "fatter". But they grow to the same size when bred in captivity and fed with equal amounts of calories. And yes Lions are longer than Tigers.
Point of correction again. Tigers are longer than lions in length and heavier. Tigers have more muscle mass.
. Head to head, shoulder to shoulder, a lion is taller.
Dont be emotional when arguing.
Use facts

https://www.quora.com/Which-is-bigger-lion-or-tiger

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Animal World: Surviving The Savannah And Jungle [photos] by VerifiedStalin: 3:20pm On Jul 28, 2020
FlordFlorez:

The height is useless in their encounter cause Tigers fight while standing (pound for pound).

And lions don't

They both use similar techniques, but while Lions only use one paw at a time, Tigers use two, and as a result, are more aggressive than lions, but lions are more enduring.

Mind you, I base everything I say on research, not sentiments.
Re: Animal World: Surviving The Savannah And Jungle [photos] by VerifiedStalin: 3:25pm On Jul 28, 2020
Dalil8:

I get that they are Tiger lovers, i am too. But we all have to accept the reality of things which is; Lions are Kings.

I have searched every article on the web trying to prove otherwise but i have only found a handful of them.

90% of the time, Lions have always bullied and killed Tigers even in their own domain.

But they chose to ignore, the few other instances where Tigers have killed Lions is what they try to sell to us.

Lions hunt in gangs, while Tigers are very solitary. In a group fight between Tigers and Lions, Lions are more likely to win, but in one-on-one encounters, the victor is determined on which gets a head start and, which is more aggressive. Sometimes, it's Tiger, sometimes, Lion.

1 Like

Re: Animal World: Surviving The Savannah And Jungle [photos] by Dalil8: 3:27pm On Jul 28, 2020
nams77:

Point of correction again. Tigers are longer than lions in length and heavier. Tigers have more muscle mass.
. Head to head, shoulder to shoulder, a lion is taller.
Dont be emotional when arguing.
Use facts

https://www.quora.com/Which-is-bigger-lion-or-tiger

Lol that's not a verified source, that's Quora, just like nairaland where opinions are aired. He's not a wildlife expert.
Re: Animal World: Surviving The Savannah And Jungle [photos] by VerifiedStalin: 3:30pm On Jul 28, 2020
Dalil8:

I don't think so. Lions are taller, but Tigers are larger and lengthier.
Re: Animal World: Surviving The Savannah And Jungle [photos] by Dalil8: 3:32pm On Jul 28, 2020
VerifiedStalin:

I don't think so. Lions are taller, but Tigers are larger and lengthier.

No sorry. Lions have more length.
Re: Animal World: Surviving The Savannah And Jungle [photos] by nams77: 3:36pm On Jul 28, 2020
Dalil8:

Lol that's not a verified source, that's Quora, just like nairaland where opinions are aired. He's not a wildlife expert.
Now i am certain you just being all emotional. Go and read up everything there. Its certain you didn't open the link. Some of the respondent there are zoo keepers and wildlife enthusiasts.

Keep trolling, imp.
Have a great day.
Re: Animal World: Surviving The Savannah And Jungle [photos] by ZACHIE: 3:41pm On Jul 28, 2020
Dalil8:

No sorry. Lions have more length.
Broz, you don come?
Tigers are lengthier than lions who in turn stand taller then tigers
In contest, the height is not of any advantage.

The tiger (Panthera tigris) is the largest extant cat species and a member of the genus Panthera. It is most recognisable for its dark vertical stripes on orange-brown fur with a lighter underside. It is an apex predator,
Source Wikipedia

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Unilorin 2011/2012 Provisional Admission List Is Out! / Uniben Pre Degree Form / The Gore Behind The Pictures {GORE}

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.