Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,908 members, 7,821,157 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:06 AM

Inaccurate Reporting On Sale Of Power On Credit Needs To Be Corrected - Garba - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Inaccurate Reporting On Sale Of Power On Credit Needs To Be Corrected - Garba (11634 Views)

NBC Fines Arise TV Over False Reporting On INEC And Tinubu / Buhari’s Claim On Crude Oil Prices From 1999-2015 Inaccurate - Daily Trust / I Didn’t Lose, The Results Will Be Corrected —akpabio (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Inaccurate Reporting On Sale Of Power On Credit Needs To Be Corrected - Garba by do4luv14(m): 6:10pm On Jul 28, 2020
How did Shehu, got Access to those figures? And their reciept of payments?

Is Shehu now an investigative journalist?

Does he head any power committe, does he now work on the power minstry,

And since when did he became NERC spoke person?

Local man is not understanding ooo

Shimran:
Mr Garba Shehu, thank you for the correction and clarification. Really $80 Billion plus no be here.

2 Likes

Re: Inaccurate Reporting On Sale Of Power On Credit Needs To Be Corrected - Garba by Chirowman(m): 6:25pm On Jul 28, 2020
wahala
Re: Inaccurate Reporting On Sale Of Power On Credit Needs To Be Corrected - Garba by LadyExcellency: 6:44pm On Jul 28, 2020
The more Garba Shehu talks the more confused intelligent Nigerians become and consequently despise this regime. How on earth should presidential spokesperson put up a defence for NERC/TCN?

Let Mr Shehu show us documentation, receipts, bills and reconciliations. Mumu don't know where his services start let alone where it's not required.
Re: Inaccurate Reporting On Sale Of Power On Credit Needs To Be Corrected - Garba by God1stson(m): 6:45pm On Jul 28, 2020
Kwanza:
Earlier thread: https://www.nairaland.com/6017391/nigeria-exports-81.48bn-electricity-credit

PUNCH’S INACCURATE REPORTING ON THE SALE OF POWER TO NEIGHBOURING NATIONS NEEDS TO BE CORRECTED

It is most disappointing that sensationalism has dominated the thinking and ethos of institutions that citizens look up to with trust, confidence and reliability. Monday edition of the Punch checks all the boxes in terms of an abject failure to honour these time-tested traditions with its news piece: “NIGERIA EXPORTS USD81.48bn ELECTRICITY ON CREDIT AS COUNTRY’S BLACKOUT PERSISTS,” is to say the least, hyperbolic and terribly misleading.

Apart from the fact that the figure quoted is far from accurate, out-dated and therefore not reflective of the current reality, the overall cost of power generated and sold by Nigeria in the period covered by report is not anywhere close to what was mentioned by the paper.

The actual cost of electricity generated within the said timeframe (2018-2019) by all the electricity generation companies in Nigeria was about N1.2 trillion ($4 billion).

Over 90% of the electricity generated was distributed and consumed by consumers across the 11 electricity distribution companies in the country.

Power exported to Niger, Benin and Togo based on Multilateral Energy Sales Agreement with the Government of Nigeria is on the basis that they would not dam the waters that feed our major power plants in Kainji, Shiroro and Jebba.

As of the last review in 2019, the amount of indebtedness to all three customers stood at $69 million, subsequent upon which several payments were made to NBET. Much of this has been repaid by the debtor nations.

As of today, Niger owes only USD 16 million and Benin, USD 4 million, adding up to the Naira equivalent of about N1.2bn.

The essence of said bilateral agreements, by which we give them power and they do not build dams on the River Niger means that Nigeria and her brotherly neighbours had avoided the unfolding situation of the Nile River between the sovereign states of Ethiopia, Sudan and Egypt.

In the future, we advise the newspaper to seek clarity from the market operator which is the Transmission Company of Nigeria, TCN. This process of fact checking only :improves your standing in the public arena.

Garba Shehu
Senior Special Assistant to the President
(Media & Publicity)
July 28, 2020

https://www.facebook.com/1636468759900542/posts/2674187539461987/
Is been long I heard this kind of reasonable clarification from top government official in Buba regime. His far better than lie Mohammed in making sense.lol
Re: Inaccurate Reporting On Sale Of Power On Credit Needs To Be Corrected - Garba by MrBanner(m): 6:46pm On Jul 28, 2020
Roundpeg:
Ok

Have it in mind that I'm here to report you.
Re: Inaccurate Reporting On Sale Of Power On Credit Needs To Be Corrected - Garba by Roundpeg: 6:50pm On Jul 28, 2020
MrBanner:

Have it in mind that I'm here to report you.

Ok. So what are your benefits?
Re: Inaccurate Reporting On Sale Of Power On Credit Needs To Be Corrected - Garba by MrBanner(m): 6:52pm On Jul 28, 2020
Roundpeg:

Ok. So what are your benefits?

To rid this forum of nuisance.
Re: Inaccurate Reporting On Sale Of Power On Credit Needs To Be Corrected - Garba by zombieTRACKER: 6:53pm On Jul 28, 2020
favor914:
It will be filled with pdp goons, when Jonathan was drinking and signing electricity deals that prejudiced the Nigerian People, all of you kept silent? Now see what Nigeria is facing, no stable electricity even in Yenogoa, keep calling Buhari he has less than 3 years to retire back to Daura, a life well accomplished.

A life well accomplished by refurbishing boko haram members....

Any supporter of Buhari is a boko haram sympathizer
Re: Inaccurate Reporting On Sale Of Power On Credit Needs To Be Corrected - Garba by Roundpeg: 6:55pm On Jul 28, 2020
MrBanner:

To rid this forum of nuisance.

Do you seek favour from people?
Re: Inaccurate Reporting On Sale Of Power On Credit Needs To Be Corrected - Garba by MrBanner(m): 7:08pm On Jul 28, 2020
Roundpeg:

Do you seek favour from people?

Not from people I don't know, or in any form of constituting public nuisance.
Re: Inaccurate Reporting On Sale Of Power On Credit Needs To Be Corrected - Garba by Roundpeg: 7:33pm On Jul 28, 2020
MrBanner:

Not from people I don't know, or in any form of constituting public nuisance.

Not from people you don't know? I take that to be mistake but in case you mean it, should I put it to you the day you will find favour from people you don't know, you'll never receive it? Secondly, talking about constituting public nuisance, what do you call beggars all over the streets in the country? Do you go and chase them away when you see them or report them to any authority claiming they are constituting public nuisance?
Re: Inaccurate Reporting On Sale Of Power On Credit Needs To Be Corrected - Garba by Elsiedaniels(f): 7:43pm On Jul 28, 2020
Here
Re: Inaccurate Reporting On Sale Of Power On Credit Needs To Be Corrected - Garba by MrBanner(m): 8:32pm On Jul 28, 2020
Roundpeg:

Not from people you don't know? I take that to be mistake but in case you mean it, should I put it to you the day you will find favour from people you don't know, you'll never receive it? Secondly, talking about constituting public nuisance, what do you call beggars all over the streets in the country? Do you go and chase them away when you see them or report them to any authority claiming they are constituting public nuisance?

You can go on the streets to beg, I don't care. Just refrain from breaking the rules of this forum. BTW, the first one you posted is down. I'm waiting for you to post another one.
Re: Inaccurate Reporting On Sale Of Power On Credit Needs To Be Corrected - Garba by 1759ademola(m): 8:58pm On Jul 28, 2020
Thanks for the clarification. Mr Garba Sheu.

1 Like

Re: Inaccurate Reporting On Sale Of Power On Credit Needs To Be Corrected - Garba by ADMAF(m): 10:02pm On Jul 28, 2020
Rgade:
Good job with the clarification.
The $81bn quoted by the punch was simply too outrageous and comical even.
That's like Nigeria's total earnings in 3 years.
Credible reportage,out the window undecided
Its so embarrassing that some really gullible Nigerians swallowed the fake news without thinking. There's an urgent need to teach deductive reasoning classes in secondary school atleast.

2 Likes

Re: Inaccurate Reporting On Sale Of Power On Credit Needs To Be Corrected - Garba by Starboytwo(m): 10:56pm On Jul 28, 2020
Fergie001 explained it succinctingly...
Re: Inaccurate Reporting On Sale Of Power On Credit Needs To Be Corrected - Garba by goldmatrix(m): 11:15pm On Jul 28, 2020
That Sudan you just mentioned, na hin be the only bad omen there. Even Mali, Niger or Equatorial Guinea can owe a trillion dollars each no problem but that Sudan, Buhari's country no be am..
Re: Inaccurate Reporting On Sale Of Power On Credit Needs To Be Corrected - Garba by Shimran(m): 11:26pm On Jul 28, 2020
do4luv14:
How did Shehu, got Access to those figures? And their reciept of payments?

Is Shehu now an investigative journalist?

Does he head any power committe, does he now work on the power minstry,

And since when did he became NERC spoke person?

Local man is not understanding ooo

Indeed local man isn't understanding anymore. $80bn+ is the same as N80bn +. I am not sure, the money Buhari is been borrowing isn't up to $60bn. Then look at the chaos and roar the people are against. Again $80bn no be here!

Simple analysis:
Nigeria is just selling 300+ MW to the neighborhood

The so called Mambila power project (3,000 MW) (cost less than $6bn), has capacity greater up to 6 other power plants.

The Great Ethiopia Renaissance Dam, Gerd, power plant ( with a capacity of 6,400MW+ costs less than $5bn). They are selling out surplus of 2000MW+ to the neighborhood at cost of $2bn+ not even $10bn.

Yes, local man is must for him to understand

1 Like

Re: Inaccurate Reporting On Sale Of Power On Credit Needs To Be Corrected - Garba by Nobody: 11:42pm On Jul 28, 2020
ADMAF:

Its so embarrassing that some really gullible Nigerians swallowed the fake news without thinking. There's an urgent need to teach deductive reasoning classes in secondary school atleast.
I don't know it's like most Nigerians purposely avoid logic when they talk on the internet.
You just feel ashamed reading comments from adults.

1 Like

Re: Inaccurate Reporting On Sale Of Power On Credit Needs To Be Corrected - Garba by Enyimbamercedes: 5:58am On Jul 29, 2020
If it was Femi that released a statement,

He would start by insulting the Punch including Nigerians who read the paper. The he will start talking about the 16 years preceding the APC administration and how they squandered electricity funds. He will then praise Buhari on his electricity reforms from 2015 to date.
He will the abuse every non-supporter agin and sign off.

Garba’s explanation sounds plausible. Is it true? I don’t know
Re: Inaccurate Reporting On Sale Of Power On Credit Needs To Be Corrected - Garba by 0taPiaPia(m): 6:47am On Jul 29, 2020
fergie001:

Very believable.

This is an issue that surrounds our transnational waters. i.e. waters that run along countries and it is very disputatious.

Damming or hydro has its disadvantages which affects aquatic life, irrigation, environment and flow downstream problems.

So, we are big brother and in more dire need of this, so we officially bribe them by giving them power.

If everyone was to construct her own dam, there will be drought and not much for us to even provide peak load.

The problem of Ethiopia, Sudan, Egypt is an example. The Nile serves 90% all the needs for Egypt (who have water-scarcity issues) but Ethiopia hopes to generate 6TW of electricity from a 74billion cubic metre dam they are building.

It has been a stand-off. There is a treaty there in 1929 and subsequently 1959 between Egypt & Sudan but Ethiopia is not respecting that because they also need power to industrialise and provide for about 65% of their populace who aren't grid-connected.

Countries like Sudan, South Sudan and Kenya support Ethiopia because it does help tackle some of their flooding issues.

Trump is mediating but no headway as Egypt had said they will go to war if need be.

To avert that scenario with our neighbours, we no too get choice.
I understand Nd appreciate your explanation. But with the current layout, the common man is left without light. They should at least pay for the services or be cut off... Money was used in constructing the facility
Re: Inaccurate Reporting On Sale Of Power On Credit Needs To Be Corrected - Garba by do4luv14(m): 9:29am On Jul 29, 2020
Hahahahaha bro you yeye ooo,

puchng are testing the waters with their reports,

ok lets dase it,

puncng is/was challenging NERC, and Nigeria bulk Electric purchase commission, to come forward and counters their investigation,

mome of them had come to counters such, nor their spoke persons, or PR officials, but Shehu

SHEHU, chaii something isnt right somewhere,

you too think about it for a moment, and bare your mind,

there is some truth in what puchng report, until otherwise prove false, by the NERC, and its bulk purchase Agreement,

Sheu is just trying to fasesave this present Adminstration

Shimran:

Indeed local man isn't understanding anymore. $80bn+ is the same as N80bn +. I am not sure, the money Buhari is been borrowing isn't up to $60bn. Then look at the chaos and roar the people are against. Again $80bn no be here!

Simple analysis:
Nigeria is just selling 300+ MW to the neighborhood

The so called Mambila power project (3,000 MW) (cost less than $6bn), has capacity greater up to 6 other power plants.

The Great Ethiopia Renaissance Dam, Gerd, power plant ( with a capacity of 6,400MW+ costs less than $5bn). They are selling out surplus of 2000MW+ to the neighborhood at cost of $2bn+ not even $10bn.

Yes, local man is must for him to understand

Re: Inaccurate Reporting On Sale Of Power On Credit Needs To Be Corrected - Garba by fergie001: 8:52pm On Jul 29, 2020
0taPiaPia:
I understand Nd appreciate your explanation. But with the current layout, the common man is left without light. They should at least pay for the services or be cut off... Money was used in constructing the facility
Exactly....but it has to be done diplomatically, if we threaten to cut off...the same situation happening in Egypt & co. might befall us.

However, I feel a time has come we need to get into some sort of binding agreement on payment if that isn't on the table already.

Again, it doesn't stop us from improving ours. Our hydro isn't even running at full capacity, and it has nothing to do with this issue.
We just don't wanna help the power situation, that's all.
Re: Inaccurate Reporting On Sale Of Power On Credit Needs To Be Corrected - Garba by Roundpeg: 2:00pm On Jul 30, 2020
MrBanner:

You can go on the streets to beg, I don't care. Just refrain from breaking the rules of this forum. BTW, the first one you posted is down. I'm waiting for you to post another one.

Unfollow me. Me and you have no business together.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigeria Drags UK's Crime Agency To Court Over £150 Million Abacha Loot / Ike Ekweremadu Visits Magu, Assures EFCC Of Senate Support(photos) / Maina's Reinstatement To Office Embarrassment To FG - APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.