Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,404 members, 7,954,602 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 12:28 AM

Reopening Of Schools In Nigeria - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Reopening Of Schools In Nigeria (1854 Views)

FG Okays “Safe Reopening” Of Schools / Guidelines For Reopening Of Schools By Chukwuemeka Nwajiuba / No Reopening Of Schools For Now – Presidential Taskforce On COVID-19 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reopening Of Schools In Nigeria by danielthegreat(m): 8:20pm On Jul 28, 2020
There seem to be a disconnect between the minister of state for education and the minister of education. While the minister of state for education is working hard to find a suitable guidelines for the reopening of schools, the minister of education is counteracting the former.
Just the other time, the minister of state for education had engaged educational practitioners, WAEC, NECO boards and private schools leaders in a meeting so as to discuss an effective way to resume schools at least for graduating classes. They resolved to reopen schools by August for these classes having laid a plan to prevent further spread of the virus. This plan was cancelled by the ministry of education the next day. This disconnect got even the Senate confused that they (Senate) had to summon the both ministers to a briefing. I guess that meeting went well.
Recently ( within the week) we were informed that schools will reopen by 4th of August, 2020 for graduating classes so as to enable them Prepare for their SSCE scheduled around 17th August. Do we see another turn of the table again?
I guess not cos we all are fed up.

Let me emphasize this;
According Scientists and researchers on vaccines, it will take a minimum of 16 years (2036) Normal timeline to create a vaccine but due to the urgency of the vaccine to present situation, they are ready to cut the timeline to August 2021. This cut in timeline will be so dangerous because they will have to skip important procedures such as testing (using animals from one stage to the other). These stages allows the researchers to be sure that the vaccines are safe for use.
The infection rate as at today is 13 million+ global. The rate is rising by 1 million+ a week. Now check this; at this rate, how many would be infected by August 2020? Roughly 65 million + will be infected by that time. Consider the death rate too.
These is to show you that the virus is here to stay. Our immune system just need to be strong enough to battle it.

My point now!
The president of the United States (Donald Trump) has instructed all schools to resume by September 2020.
Many other nations are reopening their schools.
Business are open, churches and mosques are open, markets are open then why not schools too?
Given that precautions such as wearing of face mask ( compulsory), sanitizing your hands can be provided for then why are our schools closed?
Let me emphasize this:
Educational researchers and human rights activists have warned that at this rate, the rate of people returning to school is very small especially for females. Most of them will be put in family way legally (married) or illegally (unmarried), the zeal for learning would have fallen. The males will be more interested in making quick money than education.

Should I also warn that the morale of people towards education is also dropping by the day!
Students need reorientation. Most students have forgotten what they were last taught in school. Some might even forget Their registration numbers. Maybe their school names too (funny)!
These makes the fact clear that students needs time to be reoriented.
Schools (universities) around the country (Nigeria) were closed during the first semester of their academic year. Remember! First semester starts from September.
This prompts the needs to reopen schools by September 2020 so as not only to continue with the school calendar (avoid distruption) but to also start afresh on what were formally taught within the semester thereby giving the students enough time to take things in.

I know why the ministry of education is excluding the final year students in the university in their definition of the term "graduating classes". They know that for final year students to be included and for NYSC not to be crashed, they will also need to reopen NYSC program so as to take in past graduates who are yet to serve so as to create room for new graduates.

A food for thought!
Let our schools be open ASAP!

Consequences of people not returning to school:
The rate of social tension will be greatly increased.
Domestic violence will increase rapidly due to frustration.
Dependency ratio will increase rapidly.
Crime rate, cyber security fraud (yahoo boys) will rise.
Population growth rate will be increased.
Divorce rate will increase in the medium term.
Depression and frustration will rise...And the list goes on.
The only advantage I can figure out is a reduction in the supply of labor making it less difficult for available labor force to find jobs. It is also accompanied by a reduction in literacy rate.
Funny enough, my state university is already demanding school fee from students (even while the school is closed) because the state government needs financing. They prioritize the money than our learning.

So, my country and countrymen, think!
Think Nigeria. Don't let politics and selfish interest crowd your judgement.
We can effectively and efficiently work out a plan (suitable guidelines) for the reopening of schools and you know that.
If schools don't resume by September 2020, then the disruption in the school system and our progress continues.
Remember! Some of us are almost at a Pause because of the closure of schools. Some have graduated but no certificate to further their lives. No NYSC too. We can't get an advancement to a job, further studies or even a proof of going to school if our schools remain closed.
Don't be selfish. You maybe receiving your pay from our tax monies and your stealing and your children living big but we are not. So, be wise in your decisions. According to Lucky Dube " don't look down on the poor man cos you will meet him on your way down the ladder"

Good day from The Great.
#TheDaniels.
#getsense_Nigeria.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reopening Of Schools In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:35pm On Jul 28, 2020
The mumu seems to enjoy the only way he's been able to test the power of his office by holding the future of Nigeria ransom. These kind of leaders have nothing to offer so they needed to get out of power and allow those with the capabilities of getting a good job done.

We're paying for recycling the same old wine, national nonsense.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reopening Of Schools In Nigeria by supzie(m): 10:32pm On Jul 28, 2020
Preparing for WAEC? Then this is for you.

Gem konsult has organised a 2-week intensive preparatory online class with huge benefits starting on Monday 3rd of August, 2020.

To join the train of those seeking better grades, click the link below to join.

https:///HG9clbQ9SnX47R06rS0IIS
Re: Reopening Of Schools In Nigeria by ymstar(m): 1:38am On Jul 29, 2020
Alright
Re: Reopening Of Schools In Nigeria by haiti007(m): 5:53am On Jul 29, 2020
Wonderful piece!
But students forgetting their matric number and school name is not possible
Re: Reopening Of Schools In Nigeria by SavageMaster: 6:37am On Jul 29, 2020
I have always been of the opinion that schools should reopen, since most places and activities are now open.

Thank you Op for this.
Re: Reopening Of Schools In Nigeria by Haustyne(m): 8:03am On Jul 29, 2020
A very nice piece, i must commend @op. Schools should have be open by now with the recovery rates, and guidelines in place for prevention of the spread of the virus, it should work but i dont think the Nigerian government is ready for schools to open schools yet. Just look at ASUU giving flimsy excuses on why they shouldnt open school, even online lecturing, they refused. Truth is they dont even care and it is up to us students for them to open school. They should be able combine online and in face teaching together to limit the number of students in classes and make face masks, hand sanitizers compulsory for students.
Re: Reopening Of Schools In Nigeria by Ebenezar2O2O: 10:24am On Jul 29, 2020
it's so unfortunate that this well written script only ends on nairaland

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

BREAKING: At Last, ASUU Declares Nationwide Strike / Uniport 2009/2010 Post Ume Result / Waec (gce) Nov/dec 2010

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.