Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,652 members, 7,816,675 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:54 PM

Why Your Children Don't Like Family Devotion!* - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Your Children Don't Like Family Devotion!* (195 Views)

Why Do Most Pastors Children Don't Live To Up To Their Fathers' Names? / Why Young People Don't Like Going To Church - Olamide Obire / Download Audio: Morning Devotion Worship Songs By Nathaniel Bassey And Sinach (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Your Children Don't Like Family Devotion!* by ORIFLAMEDORA: 7:03am On Jul 29, 2020

Do you often wonder why it's sometimes an uphill task getting them to come and also to participate joyfully during family devotion?
*_It could be one of these reasons..._*
*1.* You use it as an opportunity to judge and criticize them, using them for all the negative examples.
*2.* Parents only do all the talking making it seem like they are in a classroom lecture.
*3.* When there is no specified time for devotion. So they only know when it starts and never when it ends.
*4.* When you seize the opportunity to compare them with others since you know they cannot stand up and leave.
*5.* When you do not create an environment for them to be themselves, ask questions or share lessons or just sound "unspiritual".

*Tips!!*
•Assign tasks to everyone no matter how young they are.
Do not go personal during devotion. If you must give life examples, use yourself.

•Teach not judge. Teach a lesson, teach practically without criticizing.

•Let everyone know how long devotion will take. Whether it's 15 mins or 1hr. Prepare their mind ahead of time.

•Do not estimate their ability to get revelation. (Some of the greatest Rhemas I have gotten during Bible study is from my children. )

•Kindly use a child/teen friendly devotional. (keep your spiricoco type of devotional for your personal quiet time.)

•Try not to transfer aggression or negative emotions to them during devotions.

•Deliberately come cheerfully to Devotion. It's contagious.

*Thanks.✍️*

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Your Children Don't Like Family Devotion!* by 88Craze: 7:09am On Jul 29, 2020
I get really frustrated back then, when my mum wakes me up to join early morning prayer, WTF! around 5am. C'mon I slept around 2am, 3hrs ago
Re: Why Your Children Don't Like Family Devotion!* by Professorcplus(m): 7:29am On Jul 29, 2020
ORIFLAMEDORA:

Do you often wonder why it's sometimes an uphill task getting them to come and also to participate joyfully during family devotion?
*_It could be one of these reasons..._*
*1.* You use it as an opportunity to judge and criticize them, using them for all the negative examples.
*2.* Parents only do all the talking making it seem like they are in a classroom lecture.
*3.* When there is no specified time for devotion. So they only know when it starts and never when it ends.
*4.* When you seize the opportunity to compare them with others since you know they cannot stand up and leave.
*5.* When you do not create an environment for them to be themselves, ask questions or share lessons or just sound "unspiritual".

*Tips!!*
•Assign tasks to everyone no matter how young they are.
Do not go personal during devotion. If you must give life examples, use yourself.

•Teach not judge. Teach a lesson, teach practically without criticizing.

•Let everyone know how long devotion will take. Whether it's 15 mins or 1hr. Prepare their mind ahead of time.

•Do not estimate their ability to get revelation. (Some of the greatest Rhemas I have gotten during Bible study is from my children. )

•Kindly use a child/teen friendly devotional. (keep your spiricoco type of devotional for your personal quiet time.)

•Try not to transfer aggression or negative emotions to them during devotions.

•Deliberately come cheerfully to Devotion. It's contagious.

*Thanks.✍️*
Very on point. Especially the embolded ones. You see at times when you start hearing some kind of aggressive prayer points, towards house hold enemies, familiar enemies in the father and mothers side, and evil friends you will feel pity for them self. You can even become depressed after hearing some awful stories they shared and how the prayer suits them. Afterall life na war.
Re: Why Your Children Don't Like Family Devotion!* by vickydankal(f): 7:38am On Jul 29, 2020
Thank you so much, my boys can do night devotion but you see the morning one is always a battle front. From trying to wake them, coming out is another things, ok open your mouth and sings is a case, please can pretend you all I said and just echo amen. This is what I go through every morning including today. I will try your advice on this

(1) (Reply)

Pastor Indaboski Urges Igbos To Make Money And Come Home / Your Authority Is Only Within Your Church – Dubai Based Pastor To... / Atheism: Reasons And Remedy.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.