Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,409 members, 7,819,464 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:48 PM

The Moment Gowon Received The News Of The Coup That Overthrew Him In OAU - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Moment Gowon Received The News Of The Coup That Overthrew Him In OAU (68950 Views)

Femi Fani-Kayode: MKO Abiola Funded 1985 Coup That Removed Buhari / Dogonyaro’s Coup Speech That Overthrew Buhari On August 27, 1985 / Gowon's Press Release In Uganda After Murtala Mohammed Overthrew Him (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Moment Gowon Received The News Of The Coup That Overthrew Him In OAU by Nobody: 10:32am On Jul 30, 2020
roqrules04:

What is the meaning of " I'm I dreaming? "

It mean ''I dey dream??"
Re: The Moment Gowon Received The News Of The Coup That Overthrew Him In OAU by Liposure: 10:32am On Jul 30, 2020
kingzizzy:
Gowon came to power in 1966 with the promise to hand over to civilians at the "earliest possible date". Nine years later in 1975, Gowon was still trying trying to hand over at the earliest possible date.

The idiot known as Murtala Mohammed overthrew Gowon as soon as Gowons plane left for Kampala
at least muri was better. He planned to handover sooner

1 Like

Re: The Moment Gowon Received The News Of The Coup That Overthrew Him In OAU by chatinent: 10:33am On Jul 30, 2020
Handover promises that turned to everlasting wishes of the people?
Re: The Moment Gowon Received The News Of The Coup That Overthrew Him In OAU by Henryabuja: 10:39am On Jul 30, 2020
Truetalk3139:
My grandpa took most of those pictures, he was his personal photographer but dead now, RIP Papa!
Mr. Shalaye

Re: The Moment Gowon Received The News Of The Coup That Overthrew Him In OAU by roqrules04(m): 10:40am On Jul 30, 2020
Renerd:

It mean ''I dey dream??"

Lol.. Okay o
Re: The Moment Gowon Received The News Of The Coup That Overthrew Him In OAU by Rawhumper(m): 10:45am On Jul 30, 2020
You misunderstood me bro,its not about superpower.

We lost the war because of the middlebelt who supported the North and then had majority of infantry troops in nogerian army.

Am trying to bring out how the Hausa/fulanis used other tribes to achieve their own selfish purposes and dumped them.

If am belittling other tribes,i wouldnt canvass for support,and am not asking for the realization of Biafra cos i dont support that but am asking to know the fact with the recent killings and happenings,one should know truly if the igbis are eliminated other tribes will be at the mercy of the Hausa/Fulanis.

I hope you understand my point,sometimes diplomacy is set aside to achieve clarification,dont you think?

abdulkayus:

Did u see how u overhyped the igbos and downgrade other tribes, and u still want the other tribes to rally behind you and support you? Who does that? It is this ur overbearing attitudes and self proclaimed superpower that will be ur waterloo. How can u abuse other tribes and then want them to support u? U guys lack diplomacy at all.
misun

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Moment Gowon Received The News Of The Coup That Overthrew Him In OAU by meccuno: 10:48am On Jul 30, 2020
CzarChris:
Could only imagine his thoughts then.

Guys forget the smile and the calm look, he was unnerved by the news and he was just keep up appearances for the cameras. Dude's mind must have been a mine field at that point. grin
Og you dey see road. i saw how uneasy he was......the man dey form John Rambo............ grin grin grin grin grin
Re: The Moment Gowon Received The News Of The Coup That Overthrew Him In OAU by madridguy(m): 10:49am On Jul 30, 2020
Oh shocked shocked shocked can't imagine how the man will felt that day.
Re: The Moment Gowon Received The News Of The Coup That Overthrew Him In OAU by bunnaes: 10:49am On Jul 30, 2020
Truetalk3139:
My grandpa took most of those pictures, he was his personal photographer but dead now, RIP Papa!
Crownedrookie = bunnae = Aududunine11 = GentRoyal = moreb2cum = homo!
Re: The Moment Gowon Received The News Of The Coup That Overthrew Him In OAU by Kriptune: 10:50am On Jul 30, 2020
Felt a little sorry for him. Man didn't know how to react, very awkward situation
Re: The Moment Gowon Received The News Of The Coup That Overthrew Him In OAU by toffyz(m): 11:07am On Jul 30, 2020
Truetalk3139:

Can you share some with us here?
Re: The Moment Gowon Received The News Of The Coup That Overthrew Him In OAU by petrage(m): 11:12am On Jul 30, 2020
Tumbulum:
The blood will keep on crying on your head for killing innocent women and children. May Gowon be cursed in thjs life and in the life to come.
STFU.....are U God? The man and late Ikemba Ojukwu have been remorseful but U people's stupidity won't allow things to be.
Re: The Moment Gowon Received The News Of The Coup That Overthrew Him In OAU by saajus: 11:14am On Jul 30, 2020
We will all become a past someday. We need to live a good life. Forty-five years ago was like yesterday. All their selfish actions then made us a useless nation today.

2 Likes

Re: The Moment Gowon Received The News Of The Coup That Overthrew Him In OAU by omooba969(m): 11:18am On Jul 30, 2020
[s]
DonTattaglia:

I guess u are a toddler still being breast fed with infected milk..The Aboki have killed Yolobas, even d daughter of one of your Afenifere chiefs was wasted by Fulani herdsman, so don't think your people are not affected in d present rumble.
[/s]

Loooolz cheesy cheesy

Clown! grin

Re: The Moment Gowon Received The News Of The Coup That Overthrew Him In OAU by Johnjanrt: 11:19am On Jul 30, 2020
You're such a pain in the ass. Though I don't take serious mentions of ass-lickers as you. For your information I don't celebrate mediocrity. As for your intellectual retardation try and find an ordinary plateau man and asks him of the impact of Gowon around and hear replies you'll get. Again when compared to the likes of OBJ and PMB and the rest you wouldn't say the same of Gowon.
Receive sense you oaf.
ayenale1:

I do laugh at some people comment such as this as if they don't think before they type anything:
* Gowon was irrelevant yet he was the longest serving president unbreakable 9 years(how many of your family is a councillor for 4 years, not an insult)
* Gowon was irrelevant yet become president when he was a bachelor(where is your at 29 okay lets say 30, its not an insult)
*Gowon was irrelevant yet was chief of staff to his predecessor in his twenties(i guess you still depend on your parents in your twenties).
*Gowon was irrelevant yet fought a three years civil war for three years plus external military forces in his 30s(im sure u never handle a riffle in your life)
*Gowon was irrelevant yet h established NYSC which im sure you benefitted from.
*Gowon was irrelevant yet he's honored both home and abroad and baba is 90+ (respect his age and massive achievements and pray for long life). I can go on and on.
If you don't know how to make comments just walk pass, you are entitled to your opinion but nonetheless respect people with gray hairs.
Re: The Moment Gowon Received The News Of The Coup That Overthrew Him In OAU by BafanaBafana: 11:34am On Jul 30, 2020
kolaaderin:
IDI AMIN DADA of UGANDA. Also captured in that news.
He was the one making the speech in the background
Re: The Moment Gowon Received The News Of The Coup That Overthrew Him In OAU by Oksman(m): 11:35am On Jul 30, 2020
Excuses:

Murtala Mohammed pass them all,he was killed carelessly for for been alone without security on a friday,after overthrowing the government of Gowon 6 months later Europe described him as the who evoked awe with the dictates of his presence.

Obasanjo cried for the death of Murtala, as for Yakubu Gowon he was striped of all his military honours & respect. but were debated and duly restored when obasanjo became president again in1999.

Bisala &Dimka plus other 21 soldiers lives were laid to rest in the coup that led to Murtala's death.

Note:If u read about how the guy was handling public office holders, you would wish he never died.

Nonsense!

He died because he overrated himself thinking he was popupar.

2 Likes

Re: The Moment Gowon Received The News Of The Coup That Overthrew Him In OAU by Nobody: 11:35am On Jul 30, 2020
Niggar still gave that smile like a real niggar cool
Re: The Moment Gowon Received The News Of The Coup That Overthrew Him In OAU by 10kgod(m): 11:41am On Jul 30, 2020
nah pretence I dey see there oooo....

Laundry is available.... at your door step for OSOGBO people. check my signature
Re: The Moment Gowon Received The News Of The Coup That Overthrew Him In OAU by arantess: 11:49am On Jul 30, 2020
ursullalinda:
And he was still calm and smiling.......I love his reaction.......his sympathisers must have been confused watching this then.
He had no option the whole world was watching
Re: The Moment Gowon Received The News Of The Coup That Overthrew Him In OAU by vhykeeytor(m): 11:52am On Jul 30, 2020
GOD GO SHAME BUHARI LIKE GOWON.... If....He fails to give me my share from the sale of Nigeria's Assets to China.
Re: The Moment Gowon Received The News Of The Coup That Overthrew Him In OAU by Focusmind: 11:56am On Jul 30, 2020
What a history! God bless technology. Those against technology should go and die.

Sometimes, I imagine how the world would have been without technology. I watched a full clip of the second world war and respected the whites more. 1945 Europe is far more developed structurally than some of African states.

Video and camera technologies have helped mankind very well to preserve history.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Moment Gowon Received The News Of The Coup That Overthrew Him In OAU by haryomikun(m): 11:56am On Jul 30, 2020
Gowon na man sha... His face betrayed no emotions.

BTW was that Idi Amin he was talking to shocked
Re: The Moment Gowon Received The News Of The Coup That Overthrew Him In OAU by Tumbulum: 11:59am On Jul 30, 2020
petrage:
STFU.....are U God? The man and late Ikemba Ojukwu have been remorseful but U people's stupidity won't allow things to be.
allow millions of dead siblings to be right? No wonder the shithole is like this because people like this just allow things to be and pretend all is well.
Re: The Moment Gowon Received The News Of The Coup That Overthrew Him In OAU by haryomikun(m): 12:00pm On Jul 30, 2020
CzarChris:
Could only imagine his thoughts then.

Guys forget the smile and the calm look, he was unnerved by the news and he was just keep up appearances for the cameras. Dude's mind must have been a mine field at that point. grin

Who wouldn’t be unnerved? Question is if you gan gan you’re unnerved, would you show your anxiety or not?

1 Like

Re: The Moment Gowon Received The News Of The Coup That Overthrew Him In OAU by padi94(m): 12:01pm On Jul 30, 2020
Wait was that not idiopathic Amin of Uganda... Gowon was speaking to his ear cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: The Moment Gowon Received The News Of The Coup That Overthrew Him In OAU by madgoat(m): 12:02pm On Jul 30, 2020
Nnamdi Kanu was behind this over throw. lipsrsealed
Re: The Moment Gowon Received The News Of The Coup That Overthrew Him In OAU by boyjo: 12:08pm On Jul 30, 2020
madgoat:
Nnamdi Kanu was behind this over throw. lipsrsealed

You would be amazed to find out that someone will quote you and try to argue this with yougrin
Re: The Moment Gowon Received The News Of The Coup That Overthrew Him In OAU by Focusmind: 12:10pm On Jul 30, 2020
gungab:
Common Meenh!

Can one elder in the house explain how coup was carried out.
Is it just a mere pronouncement or what

Announcement is one part of it - a major one for that one. That is why Radio Nigeria and NTA then was more of a garrison, full of soldiers. Radio station is where the coup plotters or any one interested in change of government announces his success.

A successful coup happens when you are able to seize the security apparatus of a country or a state - the armed forces, police and other security system. Seizure here means getting those in control of the security system to switch to your side or using force to arrest or execute them and appoint your men to the position. Finally, fighting your way to the States house or presidential palace.

But the announcement is a very important aspect of it

1 Like

Re: The Moment Gowon Received The News Of The Coup That Overthrew Him In OAU by gungab(m): 12:31pm On Jul 30, 2020
Focusmind:

Announcement is one part of it - a major one for that one. That is why Radio Nigeria and NTA then was more of a garrison, full of soldiers. Radio station is where the coup plotters or any one interested in change of government announces his success.

A successful coup happens when you are able to seize the security apparatus of a country or a state - the armed forces, police and other security system. Seizure here means getting those in control of the security system to switch to your side or using force to arrest or execute them and appoint your men to the position. Finally, fighting your way to the States house or presidential palace.

But the announcement is a very important aspect of it

This is great.

I learnt something
Re: The Moment Gowon Received The News Of The Coup That Overthrew Him In OAU by oluwaahmed: 12:41pm On Jul 30, 2020
The coward was happy that he's alive in far away Uganda. He later fled to the UK and tried to orchestrate a comeback which didn't go so well for his cronies.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

FG Fines Channels TV N5 Million Over Interview With Datti Baba-ahmed / Lagos Pays Salary Before 23rd Of The Month, The Only State In Nigeria That Does / Youths Erect Peter Obi's Billboard In Osun (pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.