Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,321 members, 7,819,101 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:14 AM

Free Catfish Rearing Mentoring - Agriculture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Free Catfish Rearing Mentoring (2419 Views)

How Many Bag Of Feed Do I Need In Rearing 50 Broilers From A Day Old To 6 Weeks / Free Catfish Farming Training For Youth And Women / Free Catfish Farming (Training) Mobilisation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Free Catfish Rearing Mentoring by ademola1333(m): 8:11pm On Aug 19, 2020
Okay, thanks Sir.
Awaiting the 3rd factor: Farm/Facility production management techniques.
Re: Free Catfish Rearing Mentoring by bilag17(m): 2:46pm On Aug 21, 2020
3. Farm/Facility production management techniques.

Irrespective of the size or magnitude of a fish farm, there are some basic things that need to be provided, and systematically managed for optimal results.

The focus here shall be restricted, to raising catfish in captivity. For us to be able to have a better understanding of one of the production techniques , we shall consider the concept of a "Recirculatory System ".

In summary, the recirculatory system of rearing catfish, is rearing the fish in a closed circuit system, whereby the waste water or effluent is treated, with all impurities removed, and the clean water is returned to the fishes.
If the filtration system is working perfectly well, the fish tank is always very clear.
Since water is always refreshing, the fishes eat better, and grow well, as feed conversion / fish metabolism in enhanced.
The Dutch Strain as explained in previous post, has been of preferred interest for this system. Maturity and harvest of fish raised in this system is enhanced also.

What lesson can we derive here for tank and earthen systems of catfish rearing?
Re: Free Catfish Rearing Mentoring by ademola1333(m): 10:10pm On Aug 21, 2020
bilag17:
3. Farm/Facility production management techniques.

Irrespective of the size or magnitude of a fish farm, there are some basic things that need to be provided, and systematically managed for optimal results.

The focus here shall be restricted, to raising catfish in captivity. For us to be able to have a better understanding of one of the production techniques , we shall consider the concept of a "Recirculatory System ".

In summary, the recirculatory system of rearing catfish, is rearing the fish in a closed circuit system, whereby the waste water or effluent is treated, with all impurities removed, and the clean water is returned to the fishes.
If the filtration system is working perfectly well, the fish tank is always very clear.
Since water is always refreshing, the fishes eat better, and grow well, as feed conversion / fish metabolism in enhanced.
The Dutch Strain as explained in previous post, has been of preferred interest for this system. Maturity and harvest of fish raised in this system is enhanced also.

What lesson can we derive here for tank and earthen systems of catfish rearing?
The recirculatory system can only work with artificial ponds?
Re: Free Catfish Rearing Mentoring by bilag17(m): 11:35pm On Aug 24, 2020
ademola1333:

Yes. One can learn few things from the recirculation system process, and incorporate in any type of pond.
Re: Free Catfish Rearing Mentoring by bilag17(m): 3:40pm On Aug 25, 2020
Two important lessons from Recirculotory Aquaculture System (RAS).
1. Water is continuously renewed, removing fish waste. The environment makes the fishes comfortable, rate of metabolism increases, thereby increasing the demand for food.
2. Quality feed is provided in adequate quantity. Feeding regime is intensive, thereby reducing the harvest / turn around time (cycle).

In flowing earthen pond, fresh water is always renewing. Adequate feed with twice a day feeding regime usually produce a very impressive harvest. Being a natural habitat, algae and other microorganisms are available for the fishes to eat.

In stagnant earthen pond, the story is a bit different. Pond water usually get laden with fish waste, and uneaten feed, level of water pollution is high. At times, it may even be necessary to pump fresh water into the pond. Fish growth here cannot be compared with the flowing earthen pond.

In concrete ponds or plastic tanks, the situation in both is similar. Water is pumped in, and drained after a period of time. This is the common flow through system .
Depending on the inflow and outflow design of a concrete pond or plastic tank, if a continuous water inflow is established, a clean and clear water can be created in the pond or tank for the fishes.
The demand for food increases and growth is enhanced, if quality feed in adequate quantity is provided. Please note that the quality of fish seed stocked is of paramount importance here.
Re: Free Catfish Rearing Mentoring by Olofin2(m): 4:15pm On Sep 23, 2020
ademola1333:

Hello bro. Thank you for the other time you sent a formula to me. I used the formula making my 4mm feed. I want to make 2mm feed but I don't want to use that kole garri. What can I use to replace it? Thanks
Re: Free Catfish Rearing Mentoring by IRIENBOY(m): 9:24pm On Sep 23, 2020
Nice
Re: Free Catfish Rearing Mentoring by ademola1333(m): 8:30am On Sep 24, 2020
Olofin2:

Hello bro. Thank you for the other time you sent a formula to me. I used the formula making my 4mm feed. I want to make 2mm feed but I don't want to use that kole garri. What can I use to replace it? Thanks
You can use cassava flour (grinded dried cassava peel). You can get it at Starchem Company in Saabo-Ilora at #50/kg
Re: Free Catfish Rearing Mentoring by Olofin2(m): 9:33am On Sep 24, 2020
ademola1333:

You can use cassava flour (grinded dried cassava peel). You can get it at Starchem Company in Saabo-Ilora at #50/kg

Ok bro. Thanks.
Re: Free Catfish Rearing Mentoring by bilag17(m): 2:10pm On Sep 24, 2020
If you have Catfish production issues in your farm, irrespective of your location, bring it up, so that we can rub minds together for a solution.

Every problem has an answer, while every issue has a solution.
Re: Free Catfish Rearing Mentoring by hyfr(m): 1:52pm On Oct 10, 2020
bilag17:

I tried to use the same ingredients / formulation a company used to produce floating feed for me, for sinking pelletized feed. It didn't work.
The main issue here is the process. The sinking feed is produced with a pelletizing machine, while a floating feed is produced with an extruder. The machines are different, and so also the process in each machine differs.
i inherited a fish farm from my dad, we’ve got this pellet machine, I want to fabricate the extruding machine, but I don’t really know much about the cost analysis or range
Re: Free Catfish Rearing Mentoring by hyfr(m): 1:58pm On Oct 10, 2020
bilag17:
If you have Catfish production issues in your farm, irrespective of your location, bring it up, so that we can rub minds together for a solution.

Every problem has an answer, while every issue has a solution.

my issue is feeding costs and the fishes growing to 1.5+ in 6months,
The fishes consume about 10bags of feeds under 3 weeks and that’s excruciating
Re: Free Catfish Rearing Mentoring by bilag17(m): 3:44pm On Oct 10, 2020
@hyfr welcome bro. Please, where is your location, and what is your annual production capacity in the inherited farm?
We shall look into the extruder , and feed/feeding issues one after the other.
Re: Free Catfish Rearing Mentoring by bilag17(m): 3:59pm On Oct 10, 2020
hyfr:
i inherited a fish farm from my dad, we’ve got this pellet machine, I want to fabricate the extruding machine, but I don’t really know much about the cost analysis or range

Congratulations, you have inherited a fortune - the fish farm, from your father. You are also, working towards taking the fish farming venture to the next level, producing floating feed.

Please note that, catfish farming is a capital intensive venture. I always advice, Dream Big, Start Small, and grow your dream .
Definitely, you're a practicing catfish farmer. There are different types of pelletizing machine, can you share the picture of the one you have?

When it comes to extruder, you need to be extra careful so that you don't get scammed. The production capacity varies, and you also have to consider the power supply in the farm location.
Re: Free Catfish Rearing Mentoring by bilag17(m): 4:08pm On Oct 10, 2020
hyfr:
my issue is feeding costs and the fishes growing to 1.5+ in 6months,
The fishes consume about 10bags of feeds under 3 weeks and that’s excruciating

You are at an advantage , with regards to feeds, with the pelletizing machine which you have. What is the quantity of the fishes, and how old? Which type of rearing facility are you using, size, and the number of fishes contained?
Re: Free Catfish Rearing Mentoring by hyfr(m): 3:11pm On Oct 12, 2020
bilag17:
@hyfr welcome bro. Please, where is your location, and what is your annual production capacity in the inherited farm?
We shall look into the extruder , and feed/feeding issues one after the other.
my location is abia, ok for now I don’t really know the annual production capacity, my my father might haatch up to 1500/1800 fingerlings, some die along the line tho, he shares them in the ponds
Re: Free Catfish Rearing Mentoring by hyfr(m): 3:17pm On Oct 12, 2020
bilag17:

Congratulations, you have inherited a fortune - the fish farm, from your father. You are also, working towards taking the fish farming venture to the next level, producing floating feed.

Please note that, catfish farming is a capital intensive venture. I always advice, Dream Big, Start Small, and grow your dream .
Definitely, you're a practicing catfish farmer. There are different types of pelletizing machine, can you share the picture of the one you have?

When it comes to extruder, you need to be extra careful so that you don't get scammed. The production capacity varies, and you also have to consider the power supply in the farm location.

capital intensive, thats my greatest fear, I’m going to share a picture when I’m home, the pelletizing machine looks funny it was fabricated by a friend farmer years ago, we stopped using it cos getting the accurate feed components were impossible for my dad, either the fishes over fed and theyd die with a protruded belly or they die decay In the pond or one thing or the other and it gets the pond dirty after each days eAting, extruding machine should be a good option for me right now , I don’t really want to spend money Buying feeds, I’ll be selling some fishes from next month, I already have some 1.+ fishes now, I’ll sell and try to save some money from there
Re: Free Catfish Rearing Mentoring by hyfr(m): 3:21pm On Oct 12, 2020
bilag17:

You are at an advantage , with regards to feeds, with the pelletizing machine which you have. What is the quantity of the fishes, and how old? Which type of rearing facility are you using, size, and the number of fishes contained?
For real, the pelletizing machine makes very long feeds that needs to be cut into tiny pieces and that’s tasking, again sun drying them ain’t an easy task, we started with 1450, about 98 is dead already, 8 months now, 3 concrete ponds and three tarpaulins, and some small 3x3 concrete ponds for hatching, well the concrete ponds can take 250-300 each, the tarpaulin has a very large one that can take 350, the other two can manage 60 each
Re: Free Catfish Rearing Mentoring by bilag17(m): 9:17pm On Oct 13, 2020
hyfr:
my location is abia, ok for now I don’t really know the annual production capacity, my my father might haatch up to 1500/1800 fingerlings, some die along the line tho, he shares them in the ponds

Great, please learn all you can about catfish hatching from your father, and improve on his performance. Very impressive, hatching and stocking.
Re: Free Catfish Rearing Mentoring by bilag17(m): 10:43pm On Oct 13, 2020
hyfr:
capital intensive, thats my greatest fear, I’m going to share a picture when I’m home, the pelletizing machine looks funny it was fabricated by a friend farmer years ago, we stopped using it cos getting the accurate feed components were impossible for my dad, either the fishes over fed and theyd die with a protruded belly or they die decay In the pond or one thing or the other and it gets the pond dirty after each days eAting, extruding machine should be a good option for me right now , I don’t really want to spend money Buying feeds, I’ll be selling some fishes from next month, I already have some 1.+ fishes now, I’ll sell and try to save some money from there

Please send the picture. It's easier to operate a pelletizer than the extruder. Ingredients preparation for both is different. You need to start from somewhere with your tested formulation. If you share the ingredients you use for the local feed, I may be able to give a piece of advice. I stayed in Port Harcourt for a while, and one of the problems is getting unadulterated ingredients, most especially fish meal. Grinding, and type of binder used also play a vital role in the feed leaching in the pond, before being eaten. Overfeeding too can cause mortality of fishes.
With extruder, you'll need a pulverizer, mixer, and dryer. Some extruders are ingredients selective hence you may run into getting the right ingredients for the machine. To crown it all is the power utility of the extruder, which is mostly 3 phase ( when you don't get one full phase). When you strategically plan, you can get the items one after the other, to make your dream come true.
Re: Free Catfish Rearing Mentoring by bilag17(m): 12:05am On Mar 27, 2021
Fellow catfish farmers , what has been your experiences regarding feeds reality, and production challenges?

Are there possibilities of turning the current situation around in the favour of catfish farmers?
Re: Free Catfish Rearing Mentoring by ademola1333(m): 1:57pm On Mar 27, 2021
GNC costs #250 from #130 it was during my last production cycle. Even with the price surge, very rare to get high quality ones. Soyabean meal from#128 to #280. Cassava flour from #50 to #70 etc. Here, only blood meal price remains the same.

There is high possibility the price of feeds and feed materials will still go up. We should should just brace up to face the challenges ahead. We should try to cut cost using alternative materials while still cosidering quality. And we should avoid excessive feeding to prevent wastage.
Re: Free Catfish Rearing Mentoring by bilag17(m): 8:21pm On Mar 27, 2021
ademola1333:
GNC costs #250 from #130 it was during my last production cycle. Even with the price surge, very rare to get high quality ones. Soyabean meal from#128 to #280. Cassava flour from #50 to #70 etc. Here, only blood meal price remains the same.

There is high possibility the price of feeds and feed materials will still go up. We should should just brace up to face the challenges ahead. We should try to cut cost using alternative materials while still cosidering quality. And we should avoid excessive feeding to prevent wastage.
Sbm, in Lagos is #325, while gnc is #250, the issue of least cost formulation is likely to come to play, rather than Crude protein consideration which is really becoming very expensive, most especially with floating feeds.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why We Must Say No To Genetically Modified Food (GM Foods) / Charcoal Buyer Contact/export Broker. / Manual Seed Drop Hand Planter (maize, Beans, Rice, Vegetables, Etc.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.