|Join Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New|
Stats: 2,552,177 members, 5,884,562 topics. Date: Tuesday, 29 September 2020 at 02:11 AM
|Fifteen Basic Beliefs You Didn't Know About Jehovah's Witnesses by chatinent(m): 6:56pm On Aug 01|
We as Jehovah’s Witnesses adhere to the form of Christianity that Jesus taught and that his apostles practiced. This article summarizes our basic beliefs.
1. God. We worship the one true and Almighty God, the Creator 'who has a name', and whose name is Jehovah. (Psalm 83:18; Revelation 4: 11) He is the God of Abraham, Moses, and Jesus.—Exodus 3:6; 32:11; John 20:17.
2. Bible. We recognize the Bible as God’s inspired message to humans. (John 17:17; 2 Timothy 3:16) We base our beliefs on all 66 of its books, which include both the “Old Testament” and the “New Testament.” Professor Jason D. BeDuhn aptly described it when he wrote that Jehovah’s Witnesses built “their system of belief and practice from the raw material of the Bible without predetermining what was to be found there.” * While we accept the entire Bible, we are not fundamentalists. We recognize that parts of the Bible are written in figurative or symbolic language and are not to be understood literally. —Revelation 1:1.
3. Jesus. We follow the teachings and example of Jesus Christ and honor him as our Savior and as the Son of God. (Matthew 20:28; Acts 5:31) Thus, we are Christians. (Acts 11:26) However, we have learned from the Bible that Jesus is not Almighty God and that there is no Scriptural basis for the Trinity doctrine.—John 14:28.
4. The Kingdom of God. This is a real government in heaven, not a condition in the hearts of Christians. It will replace human governments and accomplish God’s purpose for the earth. (Daniel 2:44; Matthew 6:9, 10) It will take these actions soon, for Bible prophecy indicates that we are living in “ the last days.”—2 Timothy 3:1-5; Matthew 24:3-14. Jesus is the King of God’s Kingdom in heaven. He began ruling in 1914.—Revelation 11:15.
5. Salvation. Deliverance from sin and death is possible through the ransom sacrifice of Jesus. (Matthew 20:28; Acts 4:12) To benefit from that sacrifice, people must not only exercise faith in Jesus but also change their course of life and get baptized. (Matthew 28:19, 20; John 3:16; Acts 3:19, 20) A person’s works prove that his faith is alive. (James 2:24, 26) However, salvation cannot be earned—it comes through “the undeserved kindness of God.”—Galatians 2:16, 21.
6. Heaven. Jehovah God, Jesus Christ, and the faithful angels reside in the spirit realm. * (Psalm 103:19-21; Acts 7:55) A relatively small number of people—144,000—will be resurrected to life in heaven to rule with Jesus in the Kingdom.—Daniel 7:27; 2 Timothy 2:12; Revelation 5:9, 10; 14:1, 3.
7. Earth. God created the earth to be mankind’s eternal home. (Psalm 104:5; 115:16; Ecclesiastes 1:4) God will bless obedient people with perfect health and everlasting life in an earthly paradise. Of course, it was his original purpose while creating man.—Psalm 37:11, 34.
8. Evil and suffering. These began when one of God’s angels rebelled. (John 8:44) This angel, who after his rebellion was called “Satan” and “Devil,” persuaded the first human couple to join him, and the consequences have been disastrous for their descendants. ( Genesis 3:1-6; Romans 5:12) In order to settle the moral issues raised by Satan, God has 'allowed' evil and suffering, but He will not permit them to continue forever.
9. Death. People who die pass out of existence. (Psalm 146:4; Ecclesiastes 9:5, 10) They do not suffer in a fiery hell of torment. God will bring billions back from death by means of a resurrection. (Acts 24:15) However, those who refuse to learn God’s ways after being raised to life will be destroyed forever with no hope of a resurrection.— Revelation 20:14, 15.
10. Family. We adhere to God’s original standard of marriage as the union of one man and one woman, with sexual immorality being the only valid basis for divorce. (Matthew 19:4-9) We are convinced that the wisdom found in the Bible helps families to succeed.—Ephesians 5:22–6:1.
11. Our worship. We do not venerate the cross or any other images. (Deuteronomy 4:15-19; 1 John 5:21) Key aspects of our worship include the following: Praying to God.—Philippians 4:6. Reading and studying the Bible.—Psalm 1:1-3. Meditating on what we learn from the Bible.—Psalm 77:12. Meeting together to pray, study the Bible, sing, express our faith, and encourage fellow Witnesses and others.— Colossians 3:16; Hebrews 10:23-25. Preaching the “good news of the Kingdom.”—Matthew 24:14. Helping those in need.—James 2:14-17. Constructing and maintaining Kingdom Halls and other facilities used to further our worldwide Bible educational work.— Psalm 127:1. Sharing in disaster relief.—Acts 11:27-30.
12. Our organization. We are organized into congregations, each of which is overseen by a body of elders. However, the elders do not form a clergy class, and they are unsalaried. (Matthew 10:8; 23: We do not practice tithing, and no collections are ever taken at our meetings. (2 Corinthians 9:7) All our activities are supported by anonymous donations. The Governing Body, a small group of mature Christians who serve at our world headquarters, provides direction for Jehovah’s Witnesses worldwide.— Matthew 24:45.
110 Likes 21 Shares
|Re: Fifteen Basic Beliefs You Didn't Know About Jehovah's Witnesses by chatinent(m): 6:57pm On Aug 01|
13. Our unity. We are globally united in our beliefs. (1 Corinthians 1:10) We also work hard to have no social, ethnic, racial, or class divisions. (Acts 10:34, 35; James 2:4) Our unity allows for personal choice, though. Each Witness makes decisions in harmony with his or her own Bible-trained conscience.— Romans 14:1-4; Hebrews 5:14.
14. Our conduct. We strive to show unselfish love in all our actions. (John 13:34, 35) We avoid practices that displease God, including the misuse of blood by taking blood transfusions. (Acts 15:28, 29; Galatians 5:19-21) We are peaceful and do not participate in warfare. (Matthew 5:9; Isaiah 2:4) We respect the government where we live and obey its laws as long as these do not call on us to disobey God’s laws.— Matthew 22:21; Acts 5:29.
15. Our relationships with others. Jesus commanded: “You must love your neighbor as yourself.” He also said that Christians “are no part of the world.” ( Matthew 22:39; John 17:16) So we try to “work what is good toward all,” yet we remain strictly neutral in political affairs and avoid affiliation with other religions. (Galatians 6:10; 2 Corinthians 6:14) However, we respect the choices that others make in such matters.— Romans 14:12. If you have further questions about the beliefs of Jehovah’s Witnesses, you can read more about us on our website.
You may ask questions. I'll only answer civil questions.
83 Likes 8 Shares
|Re: Fifteen Basic Beliefs You Didn't Know About Jehovah's Witnesses by majamajic(m): 10:01am On Aug 02|
They way they will toast u into preaching to u , ehh
One of their fine girl once asked me , who is playing today ? Are u Chelsea or arsenal ?
Before I know , we don't enter 2 hrs deep into the Bible, I still collect number sha
187 Likes 10 Shares
|Re: Fifteen Basic Beliefs You Didn't Know About Jehovah's Witnesses by WinLABSstores: 10:02am On Aug 02|
I love their tenacious nature and affable ways of getting people's attention...
They can also be very smart and they know what they preach...
Unlike some "righteousness" mumu that will be spamming every thread with dumb nonsense!
As if the world revolves around him and his beliefs only....
Check my profile/signature for amazing prices on our infrared thermometers and other products...
134 Likes 9 Shares
|Re: Fifteen Basic Beliefs You Didn't Know About Jehovah's Witnesses by afroniger: 10:02am On Aug 02|
They also ostracize their sheeples from their non-JW family members. Thereby creating a sense of JW group dependency in their members.
|Re: Fifteen Basic Beliefs You Didn't Know About Jehovah's Witnesses by ironheart(m): 10:02am On Aug 02|
Everyonewith his/her believe system
12 Likes 1 Share
|Re: Fifteen Basic Beliefs You Didn't Know About Jehovah's Witnesses by KingOfTheSouthS: 10:03am On Aug 02|
|Re: Fifteen Basic Beliefs You Didn't Know About Jehovah's Witnesses by GboyegaD(m): 10:03am On Aug 02|
Hmmm......these talk no dey end.
1 Like 1 Share
|Re: Fifteen Basic Beliefs You Didn't Know About Jehovah's Witnesses by Bahamas95(m): 10:03am On Aug 02|
Jehovah's witnesses mind deep pass ocean. They want to know everything about you but keep their secrets to themselves as if na dem wise pass. Dem fit play Naira Marley music and nor complain about the lyrics but immediately you play Frank Edwards, Tope Alabi and other gospel music dem must see something to criticize about the song.
I once had them as friends but I have disassociated myself from them because I dislike pretenders.
157 Likes 18 Shares
|Re: Fifteen Basic Beliefs You Didn't Know About Jehovah's Witnesses by Lewisalexander(m): 10:03am On Aug 02|
|Re: Fifteen Basic Beliefs You Didn't Know About Jehovah's Witnesses by EzzyCarter: 10:03am On Aug 02|
I heard you guys don't believe in the concept of Hell/everlasting condemnation for unrepentant sinners because "God is too compassionate and he wouldn't allow his creation to suffer " so what do you have to say about the Book of Revelation where it was clearly stated that "Whosoever's name was not written in the book of life was cast into the lake of burning sulfur..." is this a joke to you or y'all have a different interpretation for this?
67 Likes 7 Shares
|Re: Fifteen Basic Beliefs You Didn't Know About Jehovah's Witnesses by Ijaycool(f): 10:03am On Aug 02|
1. What is the JW's standing on LGBTQ issues?
2. Does any JW's teaching encourage Holier than Thou attitude?
3. There seems to be an extra attack from JW on the Catholic church, can you tell me what the official standing is on this matter?
Modified: because of some reaction to my question, i needed to make clear the fact that I asked these as questions to know what JW teachings are in relation to this matter.
35 Likes 2 Shares
|Re: Fifteen Basic Beliefs You Didn't Know About Jehovah's Witnesses by teekrackz(m): 10:03am On Aug 02|
No Hell seems nice
|Re: Fifteen Basic Beliefs You Didn't Know About Jehovah's Witnesses by FrLukas(m): 10:03am On Aug 02|
You also forgot to mention that you believe that the Catholic Church is the _Whore of Babylon mentioned in the Bible.
You also believe that Jesus is archangel Michael and not God.
You also believe that only 144,000 people will go to heaven and the rest will stay on Earth.
43 Likes 2 Shares
|Re: Fifteen Basic Beliefs You Didn't Know About Jehovah's Witnesses by nymphomaniac(m): 10:04am On Aug 02|
The ‘blood transfusion refusal’ is what I do not understand. Well whatever rocks your churches boat sha.
I have learnt to look beyond the denomination and focus more on the individual.
39 Likes 4 Shares
|Re: Fifteen Basic Beliefs You Didn't Know About Jehovah's Witnesses by Tobimercy(f): 10:04am On Aug 02|
Now take your mind to John 17:20-23
Particularly in verse 22 and i say, in the sense of UNITY that Jesus and God Almighty are one.
Take into consideration that Jesus disciples are to be one too. Is it in nature too as you alluded to above?
1 Like 1 Share
|Re: Fifteen Basic Beliefs You Didn't Know About Jehovah's Witnesses by Seetto: 10:04am On Aug 02|
What is the sin of this Jehovah witness that many christains seem to hate them...
|Re: Fifteen Basic Beliefs You Didn't Know About Jehovah's Witnesses by Kekereekun123: 10:05am On Aug 02|
Creepy set of people. I enjoyed chasing them as a youth from our gate.
13 Likes 1 Share
|Re: Fifteen Basic Beliefs You Didn't Know About Jehovah's Witnesses by Nobody: 10:06am On Aug 02|
Jehovah Witness is advertising brand.
Churches always do that too.
Please Seek The Most High with all your heart and avoid all this Man-made doctrine Churches (Jehovah witness, pentecostal, Catholic and all of them). They all teach lies.
To the Torah(law) and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them.
Yeshayah (Isaiah) 8:20
NOT CHURCH DOCTRINES
And you shall seek Me, and shall find Me, when you search for Me with all your heart.
Yirmeyahu (Jeremiah) 29:13
NOT THROUGH PASTOR AND SO CALLED MEN OF GOD
“But the hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and truth, for the Father also does seek such to worship Him. “Elohim is Spirit, and those who worship Him need to worship in spirit and truth.”
Yoḥanan (John) 4:23-24
NOT THROUGH CHURCH DENOMINATIONS/DOCTRINES/ORGANIZATIONS
All Praises To The Most High
17 Likes 1 Share
|Re: Fifteen Basic Beliefs You Didn't Know About Jehovah's Witnesses by maziuwa(m): 10:06am On Aug 02|
Why are you Jehova witness is not celebrating Christmas?
7 Likes 1 Share
|Re: Fifteen Basic Beliefs You Didn't Know About Jehovah's Witnesses by nymphomaniac(m): 10:06am On Aug 02|
chatinent:ironic that you are a Christain and a cheat. Why will you write projects for people?
17 Likes 2 Shares
|Re: Fifteen Basic Beliefs You Didn't Know About Jehovah's Witnesses by ZincOxide: 10:06am On Aug 02|
|Re: Fifteen Basic Beliefs You Didn't Know About Jehovah's Witnesses by Daniel058(m): 10:07am On Aug 02|
|Re: Fifteen Basic Beliefs You Didn't Know About Jehovah's Witnesses by PataAlhaja(m): 10:07am On Aug 02|
Dem no dey let Niggers from other sects and religions fucck their daughters. Selfish people.
Funny enough, we still dey fucck them codedly.
|Re: Fifteen Basic Beliefs You Didn't Know About Jehovah's Witnesses by bolaayenimo: 10:07am On Aug 02|
Only 144,000 people will go to heaven....very ridiculous!!!!!!
29 Likes 2 Shares
|Re: Fifteen Basic Beliefs You Didn't Know About Jehovah's Witnesses by SegFault: 10:07am On Aug 02|
Seetto:They don't believe in hell. But destruction of souls forever and resurrection of a few, nah sounds the same. They are even fanatics to top it all off.
5 Likes 1 Share
|Re: Fifteen Basic Beliefs You Didn't Know About Jehovah's Witnesses by Hibis: 10:07am On Aug 02|
|Re: Fifteen Basic Beliefs You Didn't Know About Jehovah's Witnesses by Benjaniblinks(m): 10:07am On Aug 02|
Who gives fvck about JW? we are tired of this topic every time on front page.
1 Like 1 Share
A Meeting With Dangote Vs Pastor Adeboye: Nigerians Choose / "t.b Joshua's Miracle Is Fake And Unverifiable" Former Church Members / Deeper Life Church Pastor Kumuyi’s Son’ Wedding In Jamaica Sparks Controversy
|Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health |
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket
Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2020 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 251